ginnywings
August 27, 2011, 2:12pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from thebigeasy

Don't patronise me - I know what I'm talking about and I know what success and failure is all about. And why so many ordinary people sufffer through losing their jobs because of the idiots running so many of the UK's businesses.

I don't "bleat" - I made a point about Sky which most rational intelligent people will understand - the problem is Sky is a private tax on the unfortunate lower income groups who little else they can afford to do.

I have admitted I don't go to BP, and I wont go again until things change at the club - and that starts with a wholesale change in approach from JF or he walks away. After over 40 years the last 10 years of destruction of the club have left me numb. Add that to the current general state of football at all levels and you get the reason why I have abondoned football for Rugby. If someone had told me many years ago that this would happen to me I would never have believed them.

Wasn't aware that i was patronising anyone.

I am merely pointing out that clubs are dying in the bottom leagues,not just Town,because people are staying away and mostly going for the glory and quick gratification that the Prem supplies.

I would imagine that the Rugby team you go and watch are relatively successful,so you could be lumped in with the "fans" that are giving up lower league football for the glamour of the Prem.You say people should avoid Sky to strangle it but you are no better IMO by choosing to go to the Rugby instead of BP.

You only ever come on here to state the bleeding obvious and give us the benefit of your undoubted business acumen.We know the club is struggling and we all want an upturn in fortunes,but staying away as you and others do is not going to help one bit is it?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 50
pontoonlew
August 27, 2011, 2:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,098
Gold Stars: 181
Guessing we have seen the last of the Connell money for a while then? Granted it was paid in installments but seems a bit excrement that with all the money we have coming in for him, we cant afford to pay a guys wages who will be on a relatively small wage. Concerning. That or it is just an excuse to let go of him, wish the Elding money had been held up til about now to realise what kind of striker was needed and get one in on deadline day, instead we friggin panicked and ended up with what appears to be a poor player (though I still do not advocate the disgraceful booing of him and feel we need to give him 10 games to be certain of what we all fear.) Despite us thinking the club is being run slightly better now, we are still making shoddy business errors and lots of these errors seem to culminate throughout the season into a friggin disaster every year, resulting in half the squad getting paid off season after season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 50
Swansea_Mariner
August 27, 2011, 2:43pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,478
Gold Stars: 63
Well Churchy just said on the radio he hasn't been injured in the last three seasons, so hopefully it won't make a difference TT going as Church should play 30+ games this year (providing he's selected). I mean why make the assumption that we will need TT just in case Church is injured - think of Paul Groves I think he went something like five or six years without an injury and there are plenty of others with records like that too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 50
RoboCod
August 27, 2011, 2:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.90
Rep Score: +70 / -19
Approval: +7,505
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
Well Churchy just said on the radio he hasn't been injured in the last three seasons, so hopefully it won't make a difference TT going as Church should play 30+ games this year (providing he's selected). I mean why make the assumption that we will need TT just in case Church is injured - think of Paul Groves I think he went something like five or six years without an injury and there are plenty of others with records like that too.

Fair point but I'd rather look at it as bringing in a midfield battler to challenge Church for a place rather than a standby replacement. Whether TT is up to that we don't know yet.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 50
davmariner
August 27, 2011, 2:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +37 / -11
Approval: +4,970
Gold Stars: 79
Going back to the point about Tyrone Thompson; the managers had a set budget of £900k, which is arguably one of the biggest budgets in the league. I mean for christ sake, I'm not JF's biggest fan but ultimately it's down to the managers to spend the budget and if they'd rather sign players like Elding then ultimately it's their fault that we've got this problem surely?

Up The Mariners!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 50
Mariner_501
August 27, 2011, 2:58pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +14 / -8
Approval: +223
Gold Stars: 28
Quoted from davmariner
Going back to the point about Tyrone Thompson; the managers had a set budget of £900k, which is arguably one of the biggest budgets in the league. I mean for christ sake, I'm not JF's biggest fan but ultimately it's down to the managers to spend the budget and if they'd rather sign players like Elding then ultimately it's their fault that we've got this problem surely?

I have to agree. I really thought these guys were gonna sort us out, I think I was wrong. Fenty has gave them a big budget so it's up to them to deliver. Replacing Connell with Elding just makes me want to bang my head against a brick wall
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 50
Cod Almighty T shirt man
August 27, 2011, 3:06pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +3 / -1
It seems fairly simple to me - we kept Duffy and signed an identikit player in Elding who no longer gets picked.

We can't afford them both and we can't afford not to have strength in depth in midfield.

Church is stepping up a division to his first full-time contract  so is a gamble. Thanoj is young, so a gamble too. Disley is a good signing. Artus has ability but so far gives away the ball too often so the jury is out. That means the managers have realised they need the likes of Thompson to add bite and experience in the middle.

It is the managers who have blown the budget Fenty gave them by keeping/signing too many strikers and one too few central midfield players. Am I right?

P.S. We also need some bloody pace!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 50
hertfordshire mariner
August 27, 2011, 4:35pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +34
were has this 900k been spent? 900k divided by 20 players is £937.50 each a week. half of the squad cant be on anywhere near that?.

"Form a string quartet, and pretend your name is Keith"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 50
TWAreaTownSupporter
August 27, 2011, 5:18pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +1
Paying off sacked managers and players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 50
TWAreaTownSupporter
August 27, 2011, 5:19pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +26 / -5
Approval: +1
Quoted from AdamHaddock
While I have faith in S&H, I'm afraid this reminds me of the scouser who brought in a swamp of forwards (all of whom cack,lazy, fat or injury prone) and didn't solve the midfield problem.

Why?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 50
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Financial Woes

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.