ginnywings
August 27, 2011, 1:37pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Super Clive

Run the club properly, Your brother hasn't run the club properly since he became chairman, One man and one man only has brought GTFC to where we are today JOHN FENTY, When he goes then the club can look to be ran 'properly' The Guy guy is clueless idiot.

Why have a go at Sonik-guilt by association?

No wonder he hardly ever posts on here.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 50
Devonmatt
August 27, 2011, 1:37pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +19 / -3
Approval: +18
Quoted from thebigeasy

But there in lies the problem - it isn't being run properly. It hasn't been run properly for years. It is being starved of investment, things are falling apart and the customers are walking away.
My guess is that JF is going to cut costs again and reduce the money S&H thought they had - I think it is more than a coincidence that this has happened following the drastic collapse in attendances between the first home game and Tyesday night.
A poor crown today will, I think, increase the fincanial pressure on JF even more. Again, my guess is that at 2500 for a home game won't pay the day to day bills even at this early stage in the season. Meaning someone has to make up the shortfall.
Perhaps this is what MP is waiting for!

The club is losing nearly 1 million a year, funded mostly as far as I can see by one or two individuals, and still people go on about a lack of investment.  I really do think people have lost the plot.  
For my money Big Chris is spot on - smaller budgets, cost cutting measures and effective, responsible management!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 50
thebigeasy
August 27, 2011, 1:42pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +0
Quoted Text
The club is losing nearly 1 million a year, funded mostly as far as I can see by one or two individuals, and still people go on about a lack of investment.  I really do think people have lost the plot.  
For my money Big Chris is spot on - smaller budgets, cost cutting measures and effective, responsible management!

It is losing money because of the way it's run - smaller budgets, cost cutting blah blah blah which will not stop the rot it will make it worse until the bitter end comes.
There is a big difference between investement and what JF has done.
It is symptomatic of how so many businesses are/have been run in the UK and why they collapse in the face of foreign competition.
I'm sorry but comments like this are naive in the extreme.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 50
Devonmatt
August 27, 2011, 1:43pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from thebigeasy

It is losing money because of the way it's run - smaller budgets, cost cutting blah blah blah which will not stop the rot it will make it worse until the bitter end comes.
There is a big difference between investement and what JF has done.
It is symptomatic of how so many businesses are/have been run in the UK and why they collapse in the face of foreign competition.
I'm sorry but comments like this are naive in the extreme.

My apologies.

Do I take it you are advocating a bigger playing budget?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 50
sonik
August 27, 2011, 1:47pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +23 / -9
Approval: +28
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from ginnywings

Read this site every day.  Sadly I and a few others get slated SO much that it can turn nasty IMO for saying it as we see it.  Gy til I die!  UTM!!

The Futures Bright Its Black And White!
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 50
ginnywings
August 27, 2011, 1:49pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Bigeasy,if you and the other stay aways who sit behind a computer,spreading doom and gloom got off yer arses and went down to BP,perhaps the future would look a bit brighter.

Some people know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

Bleating about not subscribing to Sky won't help Town will it? I could think of better things to be doing than going to BP on a wet Sat afternoon,but i'll be there all the same.You never know,i might even enjoy it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 50
thebigeasy
August 27, 2011, 1:51pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted Text
Do I take it you are advocating a bigger playing budget?

It's not as simple as that - what I am saying is that continual cost cutting leads to a continual reduction in the size of the business and its effectiveness. Sure, cut out waste, but if you run a business properly their should be no waste. Once you have removed the waste, each time you cut costs you reduce people, reduce quality and as I said reduce the businesses effectiveness.
Spending money in a business, and investing in the business are 2 completely different animals.
During his reign JF has missed 2 opportunities where there has been a hint of success to come. Both times he turned his back on that opportunity because of the perceived cost at the time. In the end the failure to grasp the opportunity  has meant the decline continues which is costing him far more than if he had made the necessary investment.
Basically if the club is to stop the decline it has to stop the rot. And that means investment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 50
thebigeasy
August 27, 2011, 1:58pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted Text
Bigeasy,if you and the other stay aways who sit behind a computer,spreading doom and gloom got off yer arses and went down to BP,perhaps the future would look a bit brighter.
Some people know the cost of everything and the value of nothing.
Bleating about not subscribing to Sky won't help Town will it? I could think of better things to be doing than going to BP on a wet Sat afternoon,but i'll be there all the same.You never know,i might even enjoy it.

Don't patronise me - I know what I'm talking about and I know what success and failure is all about. And why so many ordinary people sufffer through losing their jobs because of the idiots running so many of the UK's businesses.

I don't "bleat" - I made a point about Sky which most rational intelligent people will understand - the problem is Sky is a private tax on the unfortunate lower income groups who little else they can afford to do.

I have admitted I don't go to BP, and I wont go again until things change at the club - and that starts with a wholesale change in approach from JF or he walks away. After over 40 years the last 10 years of destruction of the club have left me numb. Add that to the current general state of football at all levels and you get the reason why I have abondoned football for Rugby. If someone had told me many years ago that this would happen to me I would never have believed them.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 50
Devonmatt
August 27, 2011, 2:04pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from thebigeasy

It's not as simple as that - what I am saying is that continual cost cutting leads to a continual reduction in the size of the business and its effectiveness. Sure, cut out waste, but if you run a business properly their should be no waste. Once you have removed the waste, each time you cut costs you reduce people, reduce quality and as I said reduce the businesses effectiveness.
Spending money in a business, and investing in the business are 2 completely different animals.
During his reign JF has missed 2 opportunities where there has been a hint of success to come. Both times he turned his back on that opportunity because of the perceived cost at the time. In the end the failure to grasp the opportunity  has meant the decline continues which is costing him far more than if he had made the necessary investment.
Basically if the club is to stop the decline it has to stop the rot. And that means investment.

So when calling me naive we are infact disagreeing over the current effectiveness of GTFC as a business.

I agree with you that the club has to stop the rot before it can move forward and I think that is what the majority of sensible posters on here are referring to.  Stopping the rot requires, IMHO and under the prevailing financial conditions both globally and within the football world in particular, getting a grip of GTFC as a business which includes the managers sticking to a pre determined budget.  To focus on historical decisions doesn't help the club moving forward.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 50
Super Clive
August 27, 2011, 2:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Approval: +1
Quoted from ginnywings

Having ago at sonik, hardly John yes His bro no.

And is it my fault he doesn't post on here often, feel free sonik to give me your password, I could turn you in to a regular poster.

Of to the game now, John best pick a winning team.  
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 50
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Financial Woes

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.