This thread currently has 4,785 views. Print
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Part Time Mariner
August 25, 2011, 8:28am

Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +2
I thought i'd never lose my love for football, being a Town fan of 18 yrs. I must say the last 4 games and the events around the time have put a strain on my relationship with GTFC. I found myself willing Cambridge to score the other night because the thought of winning our first game of the season didn't feel right in the circumstances. Maybe i'd wish we would have won by playing 11 men off the pitch and 3 great goals scored. Never the less i found myself doubting my love for Town and that was the lowest point i have felt as a football fan. FENTY, SCOTT, HURST and which ever eleven take the field on saturday. Please make me fall in love with my beloved GRIMSBY TOWN. that is all i ask.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
gtfcbean
August 25, 2011, 8:38am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +9 / -7
bsp team playing bsp football eccept it. we beat wot was in front of us on tuesday we did not ask for im to get the red and it wasnt prety but is was this level of fottie we r at and is the same as the other 11 games that r playing in this poor league.(sorry for spellin)

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 56
Part Time Mariner
August 25, 2011, 8:48am

Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +2
It is not the league were in thats the problem, have you not seen us the last 10years im fully aware we have been on a downer, but i still loved football and Town. This season something has changed. Maybe one too many optimistic pre-seasons or we will do this and that and be the best Manager comments. Win Lose or Draw i still felt good to be a Town fan. I don't know what it is, but i'll know when its cured.3 points on saturday wouldn't go a miss tho!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 56
STB
August 25, 2011, 9:14am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.70
Rep Score: +66 / -22
For me it is the realisation that we are a genuine non-league club now, not just a league club paying a visit to the BSBP.
I think we all accept that finishing top is beyond us and the lottery of the play offs is our only realistic opportunity for promotion.
Bad results, dwindling attendances and impatient fans have become the norm. Each loss is met with despair, each win is met with elation but the worst aspect of it is that the fun has gone out of being a town fan.
We are all looking for someone to blame and we are all looking for heroes to get us out of this mess.
I'm sure most people on this board consider themselves real fans of GTFC but for me personally, I just don't enjoy watching us play anymore.
Its the constant moaning at players or Fenty or S&H during games that ruins it for me, yes, they may have faults but they're all we've got and you can only go to war with the army you are given.
I keep looking back and hoping somehow we'll find a Futcher, Gary Jones or Alan Pouton to inspire the players to over achieve and get out of this awful league but all I read is 'Elding must be good, he played for Leeds you know'.
Anyway, I've had my rant, come on town, top the league and prove me wrong.
UTFM

Former lover of all things GTFC . . .
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 56
ginnywings
August 25, 2011, 9:16am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Part Time Mariner
It is not the league were in thats the problem, have you not seen us the last 10years im fully aware we have been on a downer, but i still loved football and Town. This season something has changed. Maybe one too many optimistic pre-seasons or we will do this and that and be the best Manager comments. Win Lose or Draw i still felt good to be a Town fan. I don't know what it is, but i'll know when its cured.3 points on saturday wouldn't go a miss tho!

I think a lot of people are feeling the same way.Most of the regulars around me,myself included,just sit there in a state of acceptance,waiting for the opposition to score their customary goal or two and wondering if we have enough to get out of the mire we usually get ourselves in.

It's not very often we go out and control a game from the off.All teams,even those at the bottom have  at least one or two games when they go out and smash someone by 4 or 5,but we only do it infrequently.We always seem to be living on our nerves,struggling to come to terms with the opposition and i was fully expecting Cambridge to equalise on Tues night.They very nearly did of course and it just chips away your belief.

I'm already preparing myself for the inevitable Darlington defeat on Saturday.We haven't beaten them at home for years and that is just wrong,seeing as they have been in dire straits for a long time.

It would be great to see the team go out and play with confidence and that certain swagger that good sides have but i tell myself it's early days yet with the new two and i'm hoping (yet again) that they are the ones to turn us around.If they don't,i can see a lot of fans giving up as there is only so much people can take.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 56
BIGChris
August 25, 2011, 9:37am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.96
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
. I found myself willing Cambridge to score the other night because the thought of winning our first game of the season didn't feel right

Willing the opposition to score? Are you sure you are a football fan?
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 56
DNMariner
August 25, 2011, 10:22am

Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +100
Quoted from BIGChris

Willing the opposition to score? Are you sure you are a football fan?

I don't mind the opposition scoring if they play good football, yeah I hate seeing Town lose but if I come away seeing a good game I'm not THAT bothered. I'd just rather see good games in the Championship or League 1 than the excrement we're in now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 56
thevera
August 25, 2011, 10:25am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +10 / -5
Approval: +991
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from gtfcbean
bsp team playing bsp football eccept it. we beat wot was in front of us on tuesday we did not ask for im to get the red and it wasnt prety but is was this level of fottie we r at and is the same as the other 11 games that r playing in this poor league.(sorry for spellin)

There is a g in spelling
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 56
sutton mariner
August 25, 2011, 10:27am
Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +52 / -6
Approval: +1,135
Gold Stars: 49
Take my hand
Take my whole heart too,
Cos I can't help falling in love with you....
GRIMSBY  GRIMSBY  GRIMSBY

I Make Movies #UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 56
thebigeasy
August 25, 2011, 11:34am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +0
Quoted Text
I thought i'd never lose my love for football, being a Town fan of 18 yrs. I must say the last 4 games and the events around the time have put a strain on my relationship with GTFC. I found myself willing Cambridge to score the other night because the thought of winning our first game of the season didn't feel right in the circumstances. Maybe i'd wish we would have won by playing 11 men off the pitch and 3 great goals scored. Never the less i found myself doubting my love for Town and that was the lowest point i have felt as a football fan. FENTY, SCOTT, HURST and which ever eleven take the field on saturday. Please make me fall in love with my beloved GRIMSBY TOWN. that is all i ask.

Probably the best and most succinct description of how many of the fans have felt over the years. I reached this stage 6 or 7 years ago (After over 40 years of going to BP) when I felt the writing was on the wall, and everything I feared would happen  - and has!
Perhaps the level of patience (or blind faith and optimism) of some on here has a relationship to age and the number of years they have followed town. There is no doubt many of the younger generation have no idea how good we were years ago and how bad it is now.
I like so many others don't bother going to games now because it's too painful to witness the continued decline, (it's liking waiting for the vet to come and put your faithfull 18 year dog o sleep) but still follow town and hope desperately for a change, but in reality have accepted the fact that, under JF, nothing will get better. In fact I still believe there is worse come.
The harsh reality of what is happening can be seen from Tuesdays attendance. 3 games into a season and to me that shows many have given up any hope for this season and the foreseeable future.  The harsh reality is that attendances at or around this level will threaten the clubs existence by Xmas - it effectively means a gate income over the year of around £400-£450k, which is about half of the 2009-2010 total. At 2600 the income from the paying fans (excl season tickets) barely covers the marginal costs of staging the game. Perhaps not that unusual in the lower leagues towards the end of a season when there is no hope of success left, but so early on in the season? This hasn't happened here since the mid/late 1960's.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 56
grimsby pete
August 25, 2011, 11:55am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.78
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,836
Gold Stars: 222
I am finding very hard to see us in such a low postion in the world of football,

I have followed the town for nearly 57 years and I never ever thought we would be in non league,

BUT

Things must change soon and we will rise again,

Maybe just maybe, we will need a new leader because after 10 years of Fenty, I am begining to think he is not up to the job.

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 56
upthestripes
August 25, 2011, 12:06pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +68 / -8
Approval: +7
Sombre thread, but some good, interesting posts.

[img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb71/levite_photo/town/2959063.jpg[/img]

Hitman Hearn - BP Gangsta
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 56
Limerick Mariner
August 25, 2011, 12:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,769
Gold Stars: 138
It is not the league were in thats the problem, have you not seen us the last 10years im fully aware we have been on a downer, but i still loved football and Town. This season something has changed. Maybe one too many optimistic pre-seasons or we will do this and that and be the best Manager comments. Win Lose or Draw i still felt good to be a Town fan. I don't know what it is, but i'll know when its cured. 3 points on saturday wouldn't go a miss tho!

It might be your age...
I don't know how old you are but I find at 48 I just don't like football that much any more. It doesn't help that we have been pretty hopeless since I came back from Ireland in the middle of our 2nd Division relegation season in 2003. However, whilst I will always support Town, even if they were doing really well I wouldn't go back to 30+ games a season that I used to do when I was younger. Actually, I'd rather see Town doing well at about League 1 level and occasionally bloodying noses of bigger clubs in the cups than having us struggling at the bottom end of the Championship and paying £25+ per game for the priviledge. Similarly I'd rather take my lad along to NIreland v Faroe Islands at Windsor Park when we were on holiday over there, at a total cost of £40, than pay stupid money to watch Ingurlund ponce about at Wemberlee.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 56
STB
August 25, 2011, 12:27pm

Whiskey Drinker
Family area at Wembley £20 for adult and £10 for kids.

Private Message
Reply: 13 - 56
Limerick Mariner
August 25, 2011, 12:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from STB
Family area at Wembley £20 for adult and £10 for kids.

Didn't know that ta...makes BP look expensive - still wouldn't tempt me mind but better not tell the kids otherwise they'll be wanting to go...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 56
thebigeasy
August 25, 2011, 12:43pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted Text
It might be your age...
I don't know how old you are but I find at 48 I just don't like football that much any more.

It's interesting how many times I have heard this sentiment from "football fans" of a similar age and older recently. I think that football, in it's present "bloated" status, is about to implode. I notice on here recently a discussion about empty grounds last weekend. I had the misfortune to see the 1st half of the Chelsea v West Brom game last week, and I nver seen such a load of rubbish from the top tier of English football - and then you think about the money Chelsea are spending!

There is no doubt that I ,and many of my close friends and family, watch less and less football and have become dissillusioned with the whole state of the English game from top to bottom. I get my Saturday afternoon sport "fix" now from watching Rugby Union at Leicester now, and I have to see, although it is a different experience from a football match, it is a whole lot more enjoyable afernoons entertainment.

I wonder how much of the anger and frustration vented on here towards our clubs, and at other similar clubs at the lower levels, is really stemming from the total disillusionment with regard to the general state of the game?

I also wonder how many Sky subscribers who support smaller clubs in leagues 1 & 2 and below, would consider cancelling their subscription in order to try and arrest the ongoing "prostitution" of the English game?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 56
STB
August 25, 2011, 12:50pm

Whiskey Drinker
I watch more footy than ever now.
Both my boys' teams play at weekends and I try to take in a few Grimsby Borough games.
Football is always on our telly as my 7 year old is obsessed with it.
At a minimum of £30 a pop for me and two lads, watching town is no longer high on my agenda.

Private Message
Reply: 16 - 56
thebigeasy
August 25, 2011, 12:56pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted Text
Football is always on our telly as my 7 year old is obsessed with it.
At a minimum of £30 a pop for me and two lads, watching town is no longer high on my agenda.

As a follower of a small club, and someone who is no doubt seeing the richer clubs getting richer, and the poorer clubs getting substantially poorer, doesn't it ever occur to you that you are supporting this demise by subscribing (I assume) to Sky?

You could swap Sky (at about £600 p.a.) for 20 home games a season at Town for you and your family! And still be able to watch some football on tv! Surely that money would be better off in Towns coffers than Man Utds or Chlesea's?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 56
Biccys
August 25, 2011, 1:06pm
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from thebigeasy

As a follower of a small club, and someone who is no doubt seeing the richer clubs getting richer, and the poorer clubs getting substantially poorer, doesn't it ever occur to you that you are supporting this demise by subscribing (I assume) to Sky?

You could swap Sky (at about £600 p.a.) for 20 home games a season at Town for you and your family! And still be able to watch some football on tv! Surely that money would be better off in Towns coffers than Man Utds or Chlesea's?

Whole big can of worms there! I happen to wholeheartedly agree that Sky has ruined football for everyone bar the big 6 Prem clubs. I no longer subscribe to Sky and Sky Sports. I hardly ever watch any football on the TV bar the odd European game Spurs as my "Premier interest team" (since I was a wee crumb...) and rarely any England games. I'm left cold by them. I have little passion for any team other than Town. The blame for this I entirely proportion to Sky's pillaging of the football league all those years ago when they created the Premiership.

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 18 - 56
STB
August 25, 2011, 1:17pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from thebigeasy

That is a very logical and sensible post  
I genuinely couldn't cope without Sky+ and Sky HD, I'm that sad !
My wife and daughter enjoy the movie channels (and so do I occasionally!).
If I get a free Saturday afternoon without kids, I usually spend it in a bookies with a few ex town fan mates betting on football results.
A trip to BP feels like visiting a family member in prison, its not something you really want to do but a twisted sense of loyalty/duty forces you to do it now and then.

Private Message
Reply: 19 - 56
Limerick Mariner
August 25, 2011, 1:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
I subscribe to Sky, reluctantly, for cricket and rugby union. ESPN are better for Premiership rugby now but Sky still have the Heineken Cup, if they lost that I'd only take Sky for England's home series and maybe a series in Saffa and Ashes down under. Like Big Easy I have a ST for Leicester. Because there are only 16 home games if Town were on a promotion roll I'd still be able to get to quite a few games, but doubt I'll ever get above 20 games a season again.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 56
woodi147
August 25, 2011, 1:22pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +10 / -4
Approval: +29
Gold Stars: 1

Looks like the divorce courts for you then

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 56
thebigeasy
August 25, 2011, 1:31pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted Text
Whole big can of worms there! I happen to wholeheartedly agree that Sky has ruined football for everyone bar the big 6 Prem clubs. I no longer subscribe to Sky and Sky Sports. I hardly ever watch any football on the TV bar the odd European game Spurs as my "Premier interest team" (since I was a wee crumb...) and rarely any England games. I'm left cold by them. I have little passion for any team other than Town. The blame for this I entirely proportion to Sky's pillaging of the football league all those years ago when they created the Premiership.

I only wish more people who truly love English football  would have the same "courage" to cancel Sky in order to save the game in this country. It is however deeply disturbing when you realise that so many people feel the same way as you and I. Why oh why don't all the real fans of smaller clubs walk away from SKY - they are kiilling football, starting from the bottom up.

Quoted Text
I genuinely couldn't cope without Sky+ and Sky HD, I'm that sad !
My wife and daughter enjoy the movie channels (and so do I occasionally!).
If I get a free Saturday afternoon without kids, I usually spend it in a bookies with a few ex town fan mates betting on football results.
A trip to BP feels like visiting a family member in prison, its not something you really want to do but a twisted sense of loyalty/duty forces you to do it now and then.

Sad! I wouldn't go that far - I just think you should do your sums and work out what is realy important to you.
With regard to Sky movies - it's far cheaper and easier to rent now. Downside is you probably have to wait just a little longer to see the latest releases. Most of the other stuff goes around in a loop week after week.

Apart from ruining football Sky is a tax on ordinary people and is a 100% rip off! I haven't subscribed for years and when I did I never paid the full monthly fee. Many of the times I subscribed were on a free "see how you go" basis.  It is mainly regurgitated stuff pilloried from other chanels years ago.

Love the analogy about the prison though - best way I have heard the total disillusionment explained in years!

As for sport - watch it for nothing on the internet (you could buy a good internet tv for the annual cost of your Sky subs) for nothing, and undermine their basis for existing even further!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 56
thebigeasy
August 25, 2011, 1:35pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted Text
I subscribe to Sky, reluctantly, for cricket and rugby union. ESPN are better for Premiership rugby now but Sky still have the Heineken Cup, if they lost that I'd only take Sky for England's home series and maybe a series in Saffa and Ashes down under. Like Big Easy I have a ST for Leicester. Because there are only 16 home games if Town were on a promotion roll I'd still be able to get to quite a few games, but doubt I'll ever get above 20 games a season again.

I have ESPN for the Rugby and so what if I don't see the Heineken Cup - I'll watch Leicesters games, that'll do.

I would implore anyone like you to explore your concience and at the very least phone Sky and threaten to cancel your subscription. They will probably offer you it for free or a reduced rate for a while. At least you have made an effort!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 56
Limerick Mariner
August 25, 2011, 1:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from thebigeasy

I have ESPN for the Rugby and so what if I don't see the Heineken Cup - I'll watch Leicesters games, that'll do.

I would implore anyone like you to explore your concience and at the very least phone Sky and threaten to cancel your subscription. They will probably offer you it for free or a reduced rate for a while. At least you have made an effort!

Problem is I like the Heineken too much...

If Leicester are away I can slob out on Saturday and watch all 3 games. Having watched Munster for 5 yrs in Limerick (altho' annoying the locals by supporting Leicester in the 2002 final) I like to see their games...

I agree about getting rid of the movies though - they rubbish and I'm impressed by Love Film, who now have some films available online.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 56
thebigeasy
August 25, 2011, 2:05pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted Text
Problem is I like the Heineken too much...

Have you tried phoning Sky and cancelling to see what they say?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 56
80sglory
August 25, 2011, 2:09pm
Guest User
Quoted from DNMariner

I don't mind the opposition scoring if they play good football, yeah I hate seeing Town lose but if I come away seeing a good game I'm not THAT bothered. I'd just rather see good games in the Championship or League 1 than the excrement we're in now.

Whilst I do understand comments like this it's important to understand the context of the game too.
3 previous defeats and no goals playing vs 10 players isn't a scenario in which you play exciting attractive football - frankly a win was the be all and end all, as was "stopping the rot" at Newport.

Ironically it led to us keeping the ball and dominating possession(albeit slowly) - and the more I think about it, the more I think it was exactly the right thing to do. A direct game might have been more exciting but it could have resulted in much frustration had we regularly conceded possession.

Some people just want wins, some want exciting football(must admit I sometimes wonder if it's worth £16 too) but the managers will always think of the result. Whether they should "entertain" is a different question, but this was not the game to do so.

Have Scott and Hurst taken on board the need for more passing and ditched the long ball tactics now ?
Hurst said they were looking for more passing and we saw a lot less hoofs forward which can only be a good thing IMO.
It may not always be possible to have the same time and space as we did but hopefully this training session scenario will be a solid foundation on which to gain confidence on the ball.

They've done 2 "jobs" on the opposition so I'd say stick with them and see what happens vs Darlo.
Reply: 26 - 56
Super Clive
August 25, 2011, 2:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Approval: +1
Decent thread for a change, stuff Sky, sign up to live online footy for 6 pound every two months, sky are losing thousands of customers to this every month and eventually sky will go boom mind you so with this site but it will be worth it in the long run
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 56
thebigeasy
August 25, 2011, 2:14pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted Text
Decent thread for a change, stuff Sky, sign up to live online footy for 6 pound every two months, sky are losing thousands of customers to this every month and eventually sky will go boom mind you so with this site but it will be worth it in the long run

WHS - you know it makes sense!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 56
1mickylyons
August 25, 2011, 4:11pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,392
Gold Stars: 56
Cracking thread Gents the best in quite a while.For my sins ive got Sky and watch English football whenever it`s on and whilst i agree it is killing the game lower down surely thats upto the 72 League teams and probably the Conference to sort out?If they grew some balls and said to the Prem teams you either join with us and share the money around fairer OR ELSE you wont be offered entry to the League Cup and FA Cup we wont accept any relegated teams into our League they might get somewere?An example of what im on about could be Liverpool 2011 if they didnt finish top 4 last season under my proposals they would have no guarantee of European football and it is very likely there fans would lose intrest very quickly this time around if for example they lost 2-3 games in a short space of time.The 20 Prem teams at the start of this season realistically about 6-7 MAX have a chance of finishing top 4 so effectively 13 teams would have nothing to play for how long would there fans wear that scenario?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 56
Limerick Mariner
August 25, 2011, 5:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from 1mickylyons
Cracking thread Gents the best in quite a while.For my sins ive got Sky and watch English football whenever it`s on and whilst i agree it is killing the game lower down surely thats upto the 72 League teams and probably the Conference to sort out?If they grew some balls and said to the Prem teams you either join with us and share the money around fairer OR ELSE you wont be offered entry to the League Cup and FA Cup we wont accept any relegated teams into our League they might get somewere?An example of what im on about could be Liverpool 2011 if they didnt finish top 4 last season under my proposals they would have no guarantee of European football and it is very likely there fans would lose intrest very quickly this time around if for example they lost 2-3 games in a short space of time.The 20 Prem teams at the start of this season realistically about 6-7 MAX have a chance of finishing top 4 so effectively 13 teams would have nothing to play for how long would there fans wear that scenario?

Think they could only refuse entry to the League Cup. They may be able to close the promotion / relegation door, but there is far too much money involved so noone in the championship would vote for it - Turkeys and Christmas comes to mind.

The power is at the top and will be very difficult to wrestle away. As it happens in Rugby Union the other extreme on distribution of money applies - TV money is distributed evenly, only fair that, and a salary cap applies - sensible at the right level, although teams like Leicester that bring alot of good players through their academy then have to offload some of them when their salary expectations rise to get under the cap. What many think unfair is that money paid to Premiership clubs by England for use of their players is distributed evenly to each club as well. So if Leicester provide 6 players to England and Newcastle none - Newcastle still get the same cash from the RFU. Personally, I'm relaxed because Newcastle get 6k gates and Leicester 20k. My only argument would be that Leicester should get a higher salary cap to reflect the number of players away on England duty.

Using that as a precedent Scunthorpe would get paid every time Rooney played for England, but not Town of course - until we regain our Football League status...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 56
oldun
August 25, 2011, 5:33pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
I don't have sky and don't watch much footy on TV. Match of the day occasionally, but then I think sometimes if those were the highlights of our premier league what was the other 80 mins or so like. Very poor sometimes. With regard to GTFC, I got bored when Buckly was last here and got out of the habit of going. Watched a bit of slade ball for a seaon then gave up again. I must be mad but I have regained an interest since going into non- league, where you can argue that whilst the quality is not always there, somehow it seems like proper football, the way it used to be, very few prima-donnas. refereeing quality could be improved though. Of course I would like to see town doing well and if the team were to be in the top 6 at Christmas, I think the mood amongst some of the fans and stay aways would change dramatically.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 56
STB
August 25, 2011, 5:43pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from thebigeasy

Love the analogy about the prison though - best way I have heard the total disillusionment explained in years!

Cheers, I like it is well, I think I'll use it as my Facebook status  

Private Message
Reply: 32 - 56
Limerick Mariner
August 25, 2011, 6:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
The Elbow song Scattered Black and Whites sums up the way I feel about going to Blundell Park - The song, I think, is about going to the family home to see an ailing perhaps senile ageing relative who probably has lot all bladder control, and the singer is remembering happier times of his childhood and youth. I get quite emotional when I listen to it -especially if alcohol taken...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 56
thebigeasy
August 25, 2011, 6:05pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted Text

Do you really think any of the top premiership sides would care about the league cup and the FA cup. It's pretty obvious that they would rather walk away from the league cup. Also the top teams often can't be bothered with the FA Cup. Equally it's UEFA that decide the entries into Europe.

Like it or not, the facts are that if you subscribe to Sky you are directly supporting the Premiership, especially the big teams like Man Utd and Chelsea. To me that would be bad enough if you supported one of the other smaller premiership clubs, but to continue to subsidise the likes of Man Utd & Chelsea whilst allegedly supporting teams like town just smacks of hypocrisy. Add that to the fact you can watch it for nothing on the internet makes it even more bizarre.

The only way to stop Sky destroying football in England is to cancel any subscriptions you have with them! And if all the fans of clubs outside of the premiership did that, it would severly damage their business plan and profits!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 56
STB
August 25, 2011, 6:18pm

Whiskey Drinker
The only problem is that I enjoy watching televised football and town were sh1t when I was a kid, well before Sky even existed.
For every wreck of a club who have fallen like Town or Luton, there is a success story like Stoke or Wigan.
There are reasons a lot closer to home than Sky for town's demise.

Private Message
Reply: 35 - 56
gobby
August 26, 2011, 8:22am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.76
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +776
Gold Stars: 7
Decent thread (even from Thebigtease )
I have Sky and enjoy not just the football but the Cricket, Rugby, Tennis. Golf, Athletics, and NFL. Irish football, Scottish football (very poor) are also a bonus and there is also the foriegn stuff if so inclined. So I see it that not all the proceeds go to Premier teams. Why should I cancel subscription and lose all the other sports that I enjoy? I really do not fancy sitting watching sport on a computor screen for 2 or 3 hours so do not watch online sports.

The Icenian Predicition League  CHAMPION 2016/17
Beat The Clock Champion 2020/21 🏆 👏

My old man said follow the Town
And dont dilly dally on the way
We'll take Scunny in half a minute
We'll take Lincoln and all thats in it!

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 56
thebigeasy
August 26, 2011, 8:56am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted Text
I have Sky and enjoy not just the football but the Cricket, Rugby, Tennis. Golf, Athletics, and NFL. Irish football, Scottish football (very poor) are also a bonus and there is also the foriegn stuff if so inclined. So I see it that not all the proceeds go to Premier teams. Why should I cancel subscription and lose all the other sports that I enjoy? I really do not fancy sitting watching sport on a computor screen for 2 or 3 hours so do not watch online sports.

And so you, like many others will continue to fund the decline of the English game to the point where there will be 2 or 3 teams who win everything, have no competition week in week out, resulting in a continuing drop in standards. Take a look at the state of the Scottish game if you want an example of what is happening here. Clubs like Town will be long gone soon if people don't wake up and stop being so selfish. I would expect nothing less from Premiership supporters, but I would have thought fans from the smaller clubs would see the real truth.

And for what it's worth I don't watch sport on a computer screen. If you have broadband it is extremely straightforward and cheap (if you already have a flat screen tv) to have a set up that allows you to watch sport on the internet on your own tv. And you would save a small fortune.

For what its worth I cancelled my (brief) Sky subscription many years ago. Instead, I saved the monthly Sky fee in an seperate account which I have done ever since. If I ever waver and think I might add to Murdochs coffers again, I take a look at the balance I have in that account - close on £5k! That soon changes my mind! And I miss nothing I want to watch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 56
Super Clive
August 26, 2011, 9:04am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +55 / -24
Approval: +1
Quoted from gobby
Decent thread (even from Thebigtease )

No need to sit at a computer Screen, get a PC to tv lead, also Live online footy shows most sports  

Private Message
Reply: 38 - 56
gobby
August 26, 2011, 9:33am

Whiskey Drinker
And enjoying all other sports is selfish! Just tell me why I should stop watching these sports! You enjoy your 5k and I will continue to enjoy the sports of my choice in the way I want to view them.
UTMM

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 56
thebigeasy
August 26, 2011, 9:39am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted Text
And enjoying all other sports is selfish! Just tell me why I should stop watching these sports! You enjoy your 5k and I will continue to enjoy the sports of my choice in the way I want to view them

"A fool and his money are easily parted" - you don't have to stop watching anything, that's the point. And it will save you a small fortune, that's the other point. And in the meantime you would undermine Sky's profitability and help stop the decline of the game.

Feel free to subsidise Man Utd Chelski Man City Arsenal & the like - (and Murdochs pension). but all the time remember what you are doing to clubs like our own.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 56
gobby
August 26, 2011, 10:00am

Whiskey Drinker
[quote=153]

"A fool and his money are easily parted" - you don't have to stop watching anything, that's the point. And it will save you a small fortune, that's the other point. And in the meantime you would undermine Sky's profitability and help stop the decline of the game.

Feel free to subsidise Man Utd Chelski Man City Arsenal & the like - (and Murdochs pension). but all the time remember what you are doing to clubs like our own.[/quote]

I will continue to watch the sports of my choice and I will remember that I am attending every GTFC game that I can Home and Away which is putting money into both Grimsby and the other BSP teams, as well as buying club merchandise which is more than the stay away supporters who bleat at the demise of the club but do absolutley nothing to help support them.
UTMM

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 56
BIGChris
August 26, 2011, 10:08am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.96
Rep Score: +70 / -24
Approval: +2,654
Gold Stars: 6
I'd have thought the 'big' clubs main income sources are now the TV rights from the middle and far east? China, Indonesia, etc are funding the Premier League far more than a wealthy individual like Gobby.

i think it is far too simple to say stop subscibing to sky, for those that do so, and all of a sudden the big clubs will struggle and everything in the garden will become rosy for the League 2 and conference clubs.

The money the clubs generate from whatever source only goes in one direction- the players pockets. That is the same with Rooney and, for example, Liam Hearn
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 56
Garth
August 26, 2011, 10:29am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.91
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Although I don`t subscribe to Sky I can understand that it affords people who for what ever reason cannot get to watch a game of their choice, and as such is just simply progress, if it collapsed tomorrow Towns fortunes would not improve,  and the only way to get back to where we were is hard work some skill, luck and managerial nouse.

I for one still look forward to the next match and a positive result   UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 56
gobby
August 26, 2011, 10:32am

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from BIGChris
I'd have thought the 'big' clubs main income sources are now the TV rights from the middle and far east? China, Indonesia, etc are funding the Premier League far more than a wealthy individual like Gobby.i think it is far too simple to say stop subscibing to sky, for those that do so, and all of a sudden the big clubs will struggle and everything in the garden will become rosy for the League 2 and conference clubs.

The money the clubs generate from whatever source only goes in one direction- the players pockets. That is the same with Rooney and, for example, Liam Hearn

With my wife! No chance
UTMM

One Step Beyond.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 56
roundballovalhole
August 26, 2011, 11:43am
Guest User
Quoted from sutton mariner
Take my hand
Take my whole heart too,
Cos I can't help falling in love with you....
GRIMSBY  GRIMSBY  GRIMSBY

If you are as young as I think you are. . . . . . you have never heard that sung with conviction!!!!!!!!!
Reply: 45 - 56
thebigeasy
August 26, 2011, 11:49am
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted Text
I'd have thought the 'big' clubs main income sources are now the TV rights from the middle and far east? China, Indonesia, etc are funding the Premier League far more than a wealthy individual like Gobby.
i think it is far too simple to say stop subscibing to sky, for those that do so, and all of a sudden the big clubs will struggle and everything in the garden will become rosy for the League 2 and conference clubs.

Without wishing to be rude, it is this "what can I do, I can't make a difference" attitude that drives me mad in this country. It's time we started to think and act more like the French and the Germans. I would argue that spending a few quid going to watch town during a season has far less an impact in the long term on the small clubs finances, than the damage to the structure of football finance in England that Sky has bought about. I would suggest that is why there is a government investigation currently underway into football and its structure in England.

Skys whole business model for the premier league starts with the number of domestic subscribers in the UK and possibly Europe - all the rest is a bonus.
Sky differ from say ITV, in that their advertising revenues are based on their numbers of subscribers to their particular services as opposed to potential viewing figures for particular programmes or peak viewing times. Only those who subscribe to a service can be targeted by advertisers so the effectiveness of the advertising is constrained - this is not true for ITV, anyone with a tv licence may watch one of their programmes.
When the number of subscribers drop, their advertising rates suffer almost immediately, and their income drops. They need this revenue to be as high as possible to maintain the amount they pay the premier league. Their weakness is that they pay for the TV rights in advance and then have to hope that the number of subscribers is maintained or increased. A large drop off over a relatively short period would have a potentially catastrophic financial impact and cause them to rethink any future bids, as the advertising revenue is only fixed over short periods.
Don't underestimate your power as a consumer - by thinking about how, where or when you spend your money can have a massive impact on things like prices.
What I cannot understand these days is why do people spend huge sums of money on Sky subscriptions when you can watch it for free if you have broadband!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 56
Limerick Mariner
August 26, 2011, 1:38pm
Whiskey Drinker
Time for direct action - we want a riot a riot of our own(to misquote the late and sadly missed Joe Strummer) - you are right BigE, the French are masters at proper riots, ie for a cause, albeit selfish - fishing rights, agricultural subsidy, inferior wine, Macdonalds invading their towns, however at least they stand up for themselves. We by contrast are pathetic - scruffy little chav kids who couldn't fight a paper bag in a 1 v 1 rioting because they fancy a new pair of trainers. Our Noran Irish cousins riot for a sort-of cause. And the Germans would probably have a riot if their terraces were taken away from their football grounds.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 56
1mickylyons
August 26, 2011, 5:35pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,392
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from thebigeasy

Do you really think any of the top premiership sides would care about the league cup and the FA cup. It's pretty obvious that they would rather walk away from the league cup. Also the top teams often can't be bothered with the FA Cup. Equally it's UEFA that decide the entries into Europe.

Like it or not, the facts are that if you subscribe to Sky you are directly supporting the Premiership, especially the big teams like Man Utd and Chelsea. To me that would be bad enough if you supported one of the other smaller premiership clubs, but to continue to subsidise the likes of Man Utd & Chelsea whilst allegedly supporting teams like town just smacks of hypocrisy. Add that to the fact you can watch it for nothing on the internet makes it even more bizarre.

The only way to stop Sky destroying football in England is to cancel any subscriptions you have with them! And if all the fans of clubs outside of the premiership did that, it would severly damage their business plan and profits!

That was my point if the OTHER Prem sides apart from the top 6-7 had nothing to realistically play for they would jump ship and leave them to it then what kind of kudos would Utd or Chelsea have winning a League against 6 other teams?Also your point about Sky subscription is very valied BUT i have that as my luxury for the week and i work hard enough to justify the subscription and follow Town the sad thing is if i had to make a choice based soley on value for money over the last 10 years it would be bye bye GTFC however i have no emotional tie with Sky and thats what Town need to capatilise on.They have never had a clue at BP about how to make money since Alec King left in my opinion and Fenty is the latest in a long line of failures only he has gone the whole hog and seen us dissapear into virtual oblivian.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 56
jock dock tower
August 26, 2011, 5:55pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.36
Rep Score: +55 / -12
Approval: +3,164
When I was growing up I'd watch Test cricket all day long with my dad, who would explain the intricacies of the game to an ever willing young lad. I loved it. I also loved Match of the Day - 2 games on a Saturday night, and no sh1tey "analysis" by men who should know better (it's not often I agree with Joey Barton, but he does have a point about Shearer)
Nowadays the cricket has been taken away from me by that tw@t Murdoch. Long for his fatal coronary, and the collapse of Sky, and the return of sports to terrestrial television. If that ever happens, it would cure all the ills in the English game in one fell swoop as the filthy lucre dries up.
Myself, I don't watch "live" football on the box, and haven't done for donkey's years....I need to be physically at a game to actually enjoy it. I can't relate at all to semi illiterate tw@ts earning £millions that have basically prostituted the beautiful game.
Gone are the days when the biggest day of the season on the box used to be the FA Cup Final, don't even bother with it now, preferring to take in a non league game somewhere. Having said all that, don't see an end to the madness that is the Premiership, but hope it implodes soon......

No attempt at ethical or social seduction can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred of the Tory party. So far as I'm concerned they're lower than vermin. Aneurin Bevan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 56
pseudonym
August 26, 2011, 6:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +34 / -14
Approval: -1
Quoted from jock dock tower
When I was growing up I'd watch Test cricket all day long with my dad, who would explain the intricacies of the game to an ever willing young lad. I loved it. I also loved Match of the Day - 2 games on a Saturday night, and no sh1tey "analysis" by men who should know better (it's not often I agree with Joey Barton, but he does have a point about Shearer)
Nowadays the cricket has been taken away from me by that tw@t Murdoch. Long for his fatal coronary, and the collapse of Sky, and the return of sports to terrestrial television. If that ever happens, it would cure all the ills in the English game in one fell swoop as the filthy lucre dries up.
Myself, I don't watch "live" football on the box, and haven't done for donkey's years....I need to be physically at a game to actually enjoy it. I can't relate at all to semi illiterate tw@ts earning £millions that have basically prostituted the beautiful game.
Gone are the days when the biggest day of the season on the box used to be the FA Cup Final, don't even bother with it now, preferring to take in a non league game somewhere. Having said all that, don't see an end to the madness that is the Premiership, but hope it implodes soon......
You've never grown up

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 56
oldun
August 26, 2011, 6:08pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Point is if you support one of the premier league clubs, Sky subscription is cheaper than ticket prices I should imagine. In the case of GTFC, if you want to see the team play you have to go to the matches, which is a different situation.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 56
ginnywings
August 26, 2011, 7:08pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.01
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,153
Gold Stars: 548
Been doing some renovation work in Blundell Ave this week and the chap and his lad both had Liverpool shirts on and go to all Liverpool home games and a good few away too.

I said to them "you can see BP floodlights from your front window and you are going all the way to Scouseland to watch games,no wonder teams like Town are dying".

He replied,"yeah,but Town are shite".

Couldn't really argue with him and that's what teams like ours are up against.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 56
80sglory
August 26, 2011, 7:20pm
Guest User
Always had a soft spot for Liverpool, but they're just another football corporation now.
If he can't see that maybe he deserves to travel hundreds of miles to waste his dough.

But then again, what would we all think if some overseas interest ploughed hundreds of millions into the club ?
I can't blame genuine Liverpool fans but the guy you mention sounds like a typical glory supporter.
Reply: 53 - 56
Kris Mustampa
August 26, 2011, 7:34pm
Table Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +12 / -12
I dont have a problem with sky. I watch football from parks, to travelling to BP, to a short trip to Man U or Eastlands. I go because i enjoy it.

I find it condesending to be told i shouldn't do this or shouldn't do that. I earn my money and watch what i like. My first love remains by hometown club but i do enjoy watching Rooney, Messi and Xavi. In some cases Sky helps me watch the world's greatest. I for one value that option
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 56
upthestripes
August 26, 2011, 7:58pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +68 / -8
Approval: +7
Quoted from 1600

But then again, what would we all think if some overseas interest ploughed hundreds of millions into the club ?

I would be gone, leaving football to drown in its own greed juice while I find some other sport.

[img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb71/levite_photo/town/2959063.jpg[/img]

Hitman Hearn - BP Gangsta
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 56
Limerick Mariner
August 26, 2011, 8:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
[quote=799]Been doing some renovation work in Blundell Ave this week and the chap and his lad both had Liverpool shirts on and go to all Liverpool home games and a good few away too.

I said to them "you can see BP floodlights from your front window and you are going all the way to Scouseland to watch games,no wonder teams like Town are dying".

He replied,"yeah,but Town are shite".

Couldn't really argue with him and that's what teams like ours are up against.[/quote

I expect you would find the same in Scunny and a couple years back they were far from shoite. There are thousands who travel to watch these bloated foreign franchises that blight our game and then millions that watch them on TV. Like X-factor I regard them as part of our sick society - they think they are entitled to see instant success, instant no. 1 like I must have a new pair of trainers NOW - probably made in sweat shop in the far East owned some consortium that owns a English football club, the workers paid feck all and the trainers cost a few pence to make but some Liverpool FC ponce wears them so they can be sold for £50. They are shipped over burning vast amounts of fossil fuel in the process and end up in a landfill site a few months later.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 56
6 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › My Plea

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.