6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
grimsby pete
August 25, 2011, 11:55am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.78
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,836
Gold Stars: 222
I am finding very hard to see us in such a low postion in the world of football,

I have followed the town for nearly 57 years and I never ever thought we would be in non league,

BUT

Things must change soon and we will rise again,

Maybe just maybe, we will need a new leader because after 10 years of Fenty, I am begining to think he is not up to the job.

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 56
upthestripes
August 25, 2011, 12:06pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +68 / -8
Approval: +7
Sombre thread, but some good, interesting posts.

[img]http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb71/levite_photo/town/2959063.jpg[/img]

Hitman Hearn - BP Gangsta
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 56
Limerick Mariner
August 25, 2011, 12:16pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,766
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from Part Time Mariner
It is not the league were in thats the problem, have you not seen us the last 10years im fully aware we have been on a downer, but i still loved football and Town. This season something has changed. Maybe one too many optimistic pre-seasons or we will do this and that and be the best Manager comments. Win Lose or Draw i still felt good to be a Town fan. I don't know what it is, but i'll know when its cured. 3 points on saturday wouldn't go a miss tho!

It might be your age...
I don't know how old you are but I find at 48 I just don't like football that much any more. It doesn't help that we have been pretty hopeless since I came back from Ireland in the middle of our 2nd Division relegation season in 2003. However, whilst I will always support Town, even if they were doing really well I wouldn't go back to 30+ games a season that I used to do when I was younger. Actually, I'd rather see Town doing well at about League 1 level and occasionally bloodying noses of bigger clubs in the cups than having us struggling at the bottom end of the Championship and paying £25+ per game for the priviledge. Similarly I'd rather take my lad along to NIreland v Faroe Islands at Windsor Park when we were on holiday over there, at a total cost of £40, than pay stupid money to watch Ingurlund ponce about at Wemberlee.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 56
STB
August 25, 2011, 12:27pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.70
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Family area at Wembley £20 for adult and £10 for kids.

Former lover of all things GTFC . . .
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 56
Limerick Mariner
August 25, 2011, 12:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,766
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from STB
Family area at Wembley £20 for adult and £10 for kids.

Didn't know that ta...makes BP look expensive - still wouldn't tempt me mind but better not tell the kids otherwise they'll be wanting to go...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 56
thebigeasy
August 25, 2011, 12:43pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +0
Quoted Text
It might be your age...
I don't know how old you are but I find at 48 I just don't like football that much any more.

It's interesting how many times I have heard this sentiment from "football fans" of a similar age and older recently. I think that football, in it's present "bloated" status, is about to implode. I notice on here recently a discussion about empty grounds last weekend. I had the misfortune to see the 1st half of the Chelsea v West Brom game last week, and I nver seen such a load of rubbish from the top tier of English football - and then you think about the money Chelsea are spending!

There is no doubt that I ,and many of my close friends and family, watch less and less football and have become dissillusioned with the whole state of the English game from top to bottom. I get my Saturday afternoon sport "fix" now from watching Rugby Union at Leicester now, and I have to see, although it is a different experience from a football match, it is a whole lot more enjoyable afernoons entertainment.

I wonder how much of the anger and frustration vented on here towards our clubs, and at other similar clubs at the lower levels, is really stemming from the total disillusionment with regard to the general state of the game?

I also wonder how many Sky subscribers who support smaller clubs in leagues 1 & 2 and below, would consider cancelling their subscription in order to try and arrest the ongoing "prostitution" of the English game?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 56
STB
August 25, 2011, 12:50pm

Whiskey Drinker
I watch more footy than ever now.
Both my boys' teams play at weekends and I try to take in a few Grimsby Borough games.
Football is always on our telly as my 7 year old is obsessed with it.
At a minimum of £30 a pop for me and two lads, watching town is no longer high on my agenda.

Private Message
Reply: 16 - 56
thebigeasy
August 25, 2011, 12:56pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +0
Quoted Text
Football is always on our telly as my 7 year old is obsessed with it.
At a minimum of £30 a pop for me and two lads, watching town is no longer high on my agenda.

As a follower of a small club, and someone who is no doubt seeing the richer clubs getting richer, and the poorer clubs getting substantially poorer, doesn't it ever occur to you that you are supporting this demise by subscribing (I assume) to Sky?

You could swap Sky (at about £600 p.a.) for 20 home games a season at Town for you and your family! And still be able to watch some football on tv! Surely that money would be better off in Towns coffers than Man Utds or Chlesea's?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 56
Biccys
August 25, 2011, 1:06pm
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +55 / -22
Approval: +1,226
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from thebigeasy

As a follower of a small club, and someone who is no doubt seeing the richer clubs getting richer, and the poorer clubs getting substantially poorer, doesn't it ever occur to you that you are supporting this demise by subscribing (I assume) to Sky?

You could swap Sky (at about £600 p.a.) for 20 home games a season at Town for you and your family! And still be able to watch some football on tv! Surely that money would be better off in Towns coffers than Man Utds or Chlesea's?

Whole big can of worms there! I happen to wholeheartedly agree that Sky has ruined football for everyone bar the big 6 Prem clubs. I no longer subscribe to Sky and Sky Sports. I hardly ever watch any football on the TV bar the odd European game Spurs as my "Premier interest team" (since I was a wee crumb...) and rarely any England games. I'm left cold by them. I have little passion for any team other than Town. The blame for this I entirely proportion to Sky's pillaging of the football league all those years ago when they created the Premiership.

@biccysthefishy

£110,105

[url]https://www.easyfundraising.org.uk/causes/mariners-trust/[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 18 - 56
STB
August 25, 2011, 1:17pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from thebigeasy

That is a very logical and sensible post  
I genuinely couldn't cope without Sky+ and Sky HD, I'm that sad !
My wife and daughter enjoy the movie channels (and so do I occasionally!).
If I get a free Saturday afternoon without kids, I usually spend it in a bookies with a few ex town fan mates betting on football results.
A trip to BP feels like visiting a family member in prison, its not something you really want to do but a twisted sense of loyalty/duty forces you to do it now and then.

Private Message
Reply: 19 - 56
6 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › My Plea

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.