December 1, 2010, 4:36pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from Paddymariner
[/b]

What a crock of excrement. Ashman was an excellent manager who had the utmost respect of his players. He just wasn't McMenemy, who he took over from.

Agree 100%. Had he come from anywhere other than Scunthorpe he'd have been recognised as being a good manager.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 84
rancido
December 1, 2010, 5:16pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96
Mike Lyons to me was the worst manager. I'm sure he thought he was "Roy Of The Rovers". I recall after losing one game by 5 goals he stated in the GET that we needed " better strikers " - what a to**er. As has been mentioned he even played himself as striker and this was from a " professional footballer " who had always been a centre back. I also think that Newell is a close second - a complete clueless conman.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 84
LukeyJ
December 1, 2010, 6:55pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +9 / 0
I'm probably going to ruffle some feathers here but my answer is:

Buckley III**

** Please note, Buckley I and II are a seperate entity and a living legend. Buckley III got us into this mess. At least when Newell came in, he had the excuse of a rubbish team. Buckley III didn't.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 84
jonnyboy82
December 1, 2010, 6:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.28
Rep Score: +71 / -36
Approval: +5,688
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from LukeyJ

Buckley III**

** Please note, Buckley I and II are a seperate entity and a living legend. Buckley III got us into this mess. At least when Newell came in, he had the excuse of a rubbish team. Buckley III didn't.

rubbish...a bad manager is a man who has failed at his job..alan buckley is a town legend and he should not have come back but to say buckley 1 2 and 3 is total excrement.

buckley will be at the other end of the list mate a one of towns best managers if not the best

GTFC
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 84
1mickylyons
December 1, 2010, 7:13pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,382
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from LukeyJ

Buckley III**

Am i reading correctly you are saying Buckley inherited a team that you dont regard as excrement?Please tell me what the fcuk he had to work with and while your at it how did he manage to get them through to Wembley cos i wouldnt have wished that squad on anyone?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 84
Mariner Ronnie
December 1, 2010, 7:18pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from LukeyJ

Buckley III**

i have to agree to some extent, he did bring in martin butler as well as getting rid of fenton and toner

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 84
rancido
December 1, 2010, 7:18pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,573
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Am i reading correctly you are saying Buckley inherited a team that you dont regard as excrement?Please tell me what the fcuk he had to work with and while your at it how did he manage to get them through to Wembley cos i wouldnt have wished that squad on anyone?

I know what you are saying but after Wembley during the close season he had the chance to improve the squad and brought in such " brilliant " players as Heywood and the other defender ( whose name escapes me ) who is now an industrial painter on the rigs in the North Sea. AB is my ALL TIME favourite Grimsby manager but unfortunately his last term in office , Wembley apart, demonstrated how far the game had moved on since his first and second stints.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 84
1mickylyons
December 1, 2010, 7:26pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,382
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from rancido

I know what you are saying but after Wembley during the close season he had the chance to improve the squad and brought in such " brilliant " players as Heywood and the other defender ( whose name escapes me ) who is now an industrial painter on the rigs in the North Sea. AB is my ALL TIME favourite Grimsby manager but unfortunately his last term in office , Wembley apart, demonstrated how far the game had moved on since his first and second stints.

Yes but he accuses Buckley 3 of leaving Newell with a excrement squad worse than what he inherited thats the point im debating also the Buckley 3 squad wasn`t in the bottom 2 for Months on end like it was under Rodger,Newell and Woods so in my opinion Buckley once again managed to polish a big steaming Grimsby Town turd.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 84
Mariner88
December 1, 2010, 7:45pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Woods by a distance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 84
December 1, 2010, 7:49pm
Guest User
Started attending games under Buckley mark I as an eight year old, so anything before that I cannot comment on.

My worst ever Town manager would be Law, closely followed by Newell and Roger.
Reply: 79 - 84
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › worst ever town manager

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.