December 1, 2010, 1:28pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,671
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from ginnywings

Any excuse to have a go at Woods.

Lyons had far better players at his disposal but chose to use them in a totally clueless manner.

He even played himself up front,which was laughable.

We don't really need an excuse though do we? His record is enough.

And this is a 'worst manager' thread after all. So why not mention the guy with the worst record?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 84
Welwynmariner
December 1, 2010, 1:29pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +337
Gold Stars: 1
I read what Tony Ford said about Micky Lyons. Not only did Lyons ruin a team he basically forced out its best (local) players. People like Ford and Kevin Moore - Lyons complained about having people who were "too intelligent" in the side

Nicky Law must come a close second though.

And who can forget Lennie Lawrence who sent money we couldn't afford on some right duffers
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 84
Mariner Ronnie
December 1, 2010, 1:36pm

Lower Findus
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +45 / -6
Approval: +1,100
Gold Stars: 6
Quoted from Welwynmariner
Nicky Law must come a close second though.

And who can forget Lennie Lawrence who sent money we couldn't afford on some right duffers

Nicky Law brought in better duffers than lawrence (antoine currier being one  )

Today we got our team back - town fan leaving Wembley may 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 84
Paddymariner
December 1, 2010, 1:40pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1
Quoted from Garth

Bit harsh on Roger to put him in a similar category to Lyons,  he never had the same amount of games to prove (or not ) anything

I think the mistake of the appointment of Rodger as manager was realised on day 1.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 84
Paddymariner
December 1, 2010, 1:46pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1
Quoted from cagneysav
worst manager ever Mick Lyons, clueless totally clueless, he once said he was signing a new player, when he did he dropped himself in the shite when he (Lyons) said "Now watch us go", what a great laugh, the player signed was Mick Halshaw, midfielder i think came from Carlisle but maybe elsewhere, anyway we went nowhere except downwards. Second worst manager the late Ron Ashman, came from Scunthorpe, enough said.

What a crock of excrement. Ashman was an excellent manager who had the utmost respect of his players. He just wasn't McMenemy, who he took over from.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 84
oldfootballer
December 1, 2010, 2:42pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +21 / -2
Approval: +8
Quoted from Paddymariner
[/b]

What a crock of excrement. Ashman was an excellent manager who had the utmost respect of his players. He just wasn't McMenemy, who he took over from.

Ron did have the respect of the players, but it was his number two who made the difference, Colin Appleton, what a coach he was and also a strict disiplinarian he was in my eyes the best coach next to George Higgins in all my time at Grimsby Town, Higgins was at the club when I first came in 1966.

In fact for the first six games I was not considered for the first team due to being suspended for the first two games and Rons team kept getting draws and the occasional win, but not really impressing the crowd.

That year we finished in the top six I believe and I got player of the year award which I was and still am extremely proud off.
OLDFOOTBALLER

when the ball is on the ground everybody is the same size its what you do with the ball that matters m/http/thisis.co.uk/274236/signature/gtfc-soldier-aphanfc
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 84
Marinerz93
December 1, 2010, 3:16pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.56
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1

There is a bit of truth in that the board was split and some of them were fed up of shelling out to be ambitious while others were happy with where we were. But Lyons is the worst manager because he took good players and made them into a bad team simply to satisfy his own idea of how the game should be played. I watched him coaching the juniors in the Route One and Route Two tactics and it was quite sickening.

I can see why you are going for ML but at least he turned up to training and was sober most of the time.  ML had two tactics as you rightly point out and at times when he played it was embarrasing because it gave the impression the ball was his.  ML wanted to win but was a poor manager.  Neweel tactics were to bring in crap players with inflated ego's and sore elbows and to blackmail the club into bringing in more and more loan players making our budgets one of the biggest in the league with no progress to show for it.

The way Neweel acted in his time in charge here is the worst I have ever seen at BP, no tactics what so ever which, was evident from the opening game at Cheltenham with his new squad to the rant that the fans should be calling for his neck.  It's the state he left the squad in and the bad apples fermenting for a pay off.  Those players had ability and some had ability above league 2 but all we ever got from them inept performance after inept performance.

1.  Neweel
2.  Lyons
3.  Law

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 84
cleefish
December 1, 2010, 3:47pm
L:incoln
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +10 / -4
Approval: +6
Quoted from Garth

Bit harsh on Roger to put him in a similar category to Lyons,  he never had the same amount of games to prove (or not ) anything

Come to think of it I slagged Rodger off but now I think he was never as bad as Woods.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 84
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
December 1, 2010, 4:18pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from oldfootballer
[/b]

Ron did have the respect of the players, but it was his number two who made the difference, Colin Appleton, what a coach he was and also a strict disiplinarian he was in my eyes the best coach next to George Higgins in all my time at Grimsby Town, Higgins was at the club when I first came in 1966.

In fact for the first six games I was not considered for the first team due to being suspended for the first two games and Rons team kept getting draws and the occasional win, but not really impressing the crowd.

That year we finished in the top six I believe and I got player of the year award which I was and still am extremely proud off.
OLDFOOTBALLER

Colin Appleton had been the manager at Scarborough hadn't he? Very clever bloke and made a good team with Ashman. I wonder what sort of a fist Appleton would have made as manager on his own, he always struck me as a bit of a Malcolm Allison - good coach but maybe not great at managing. Reminds me of someone more recent as well.

Ron Ashman had done very well with Scunthorpe and he did well here in spite of the bias of some supporters. I seem to think he went back there later.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 84
barralad
December 1, 2010, 4:34pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from cagneysav
worst manager ever Mick Lyons, clueless totally clueless, he once said he was signing a new player, when he did he dropped himself in the shite when he (Lyons) said "Now watch us go", what a great laugh, the player signed was Mick Halshaw, midfielder i think came from Carlisle but maybe elsewhere, anyway we went nowhere except downwards.  Second worst manager the late Ron Ashman, came from Scunthorpe, enough said.

After we beat West Brom at home in early March he was talking about the play offs. Sadly (willing to be corrected) the team didn't win another game.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 84
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › worst ever town manager

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.