Garth
November 30, 2010, 7:43pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Woods, Law, Lyons and Rodger (in no particular order, but Rodger prob last because he wasn't given a chance.)

Given the same amount of funds and time as Neil,   would Roger have done any better, when you look at it this way its unfair to keep including him in our list of worst ever Town managers, I admit he was out of his depth but IMO was he was a cheap crucifixion
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 84
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 30, 2010, 7:47pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from oldfootballer
[/b]

That would be unfair he was not a bad Manager just would not accept that he could not do the two roles as a player and then Managing the team also

In fact when he left himself out we started to perform.
Footballers are strange people.
OLDFOOTBALLER

Agree with that Dave. Just think - you could have been a councillor in Derby now.

Wasn't Bill Harvey a former Town trainer before he went off to other places? He probably had contacts in the boardroom and I think he was brought in as a stopgap at least to start with when we declined after Jimmy McGuigan left.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 84
malkamalka
November 30, 2010, 7:53pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +148
Gold Stars: 17
[/b]

That would be unfair he was not a bad Manager just would not accept that he could not do the two roles as a player and then Managing the team also

In fact when he left himself out we started to perform.
Footballers are strange people.
OLDFOOTBALLER

Yeah I know Dave, but he didn't leave himself out too often did he?

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." (Jimi Hendrix)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 84
malkamalka
November 30, 2010, 7:56pm
Table Wine Drinker
Approval: +148
Gold Stars: 17
[/b]

Anyone remember a guy called Bill Harvey now he was some Manager came from believe it or not Chelsea where he was a scout, he was brought up in Grimsby.

He is the Manager in 1967/68 when Brian Clougjh wanted to me to sign for Derby called me in the office and actually said

Son you do not want to go and play for Brian Clough he is a nasty man and does not know what he is doing.

Town turned down £25.000 because they wanted £45.000, well Clougie told the Manager and club to stuff it and that was my golden opportunity gone up in smoke.

So guess who I think is the worst Manager at Grimsby Town ever, thats right you have got it.
OLDFOOTBALLER

Well, I think he just went up in my estimation by keeping you here. Bloody Clough and Derby - what would you have wanted to have gone there for Dave

"Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens." (Jimi Hendrix)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 84
Marinerz93
November 30, 2010, 8:12pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +89 / -11
Approval: +6,292
Gold Stars: 1
To complie a list of worst Town managers you have to look at a whole host of variables and some of the finer details we won't be privvy too.

Lyons had the best players at the time to work with but it was the board trying to cash in that saw us go from Premiership challengers to relegation foder within a season.

Neweel was given a healthy budget but spent it on mercenaries and charlatans.  Never in the history of GTFC has the club had to pay off so many players than under the slimey illegitimate from Liverpool.  The attitudes of the players under Neweel was the worst I have ever seenin my 30+ years of following Town.  His tenure also led to Woods appointment.

Supporting the Mighty Mariners for over 30 years, home town club is were the heart and soul is and it's great to be a part of it.

Jesus’ disciple Peter, picked up a fish to get the tribute money from it, Jesus left his thumb print on the fish, bless'ed is the Haddock.
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 84
tintowner
November 30, 2010, 8:53pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Approval: +603
Gold Stars: 20
Quoted from Civvy at last

I think that the location at the time of the sacking my also have contributed towards the amount of alcohol consumed at the news  

Well...okay, we was gonna have a drink anyway, but the relief of his demise gave us added stamina to last the pace

Batch, K.Moore, Waters, Wiggington, Crombie, Brolly, Ford, Drinkell, Mitchell, Cumming, Kilmore. D.Moore, Stone, Liddell. ....1979/80..... now that WAS a team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 84
barralad
November 30, 2010, 8:57pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from Les Brechin

Harsh IMO. Roberts inherited the ashes of the Ly*ns squad. I think we only had about 5 or 6 players when he took over. He almost kept us up too as if we had beaten Aldershot on the last day of the season we would have stayed up.

Agree with that> Was on a complete hiding to nothing.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 84
conscorner
November 30, 2010, 9:13pm
Season Ticket Holder
Approval: +298
Gold Stars: 3
All the ususal suspects but I would also like to put forward Russell Slade - Cardiff still rankles with me and we have never recovered
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 84
theicenian
November 30, 2010, 9:33pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.99
Rep Score: +60 / -13
Approval: -1
Quoted from StiggsGTFC
Elemér Berkessy......

Was actually never the manager.   He was coach.  And ofcourse his name was Emilio Berkesey.

And I'm a clever clogs

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 84
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 30, 2010, 9:33pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Marinerz93
To complie a list of worst Town managers you have to look at a whole host of variables and some of the finer details we won't be privvy too.

Lyons had the best players at the time to work with but it was the board trying to cash in that saw us go from Premiership challengers to relegation foder within a season.

Neweel was given a healthy budget but spent it on mercenaries and charlatans.  Never in the history of GTFC has the club had to pay off so many players than under the slimey illegitimate from Liverpool.  The attitudes of the players under Neweel was the worst I have ever seenin my 30+ years of following Town.  His tenure also led to Woods appointment.

There is a bit of truth in that the board was split and some of them were fed up of shelling out to be ambitious while others were happy with where we were. But Lyons is the worst manager because he took good players and made them into a bad team simply to satisfy his own idea of how the game should be played. I watched him coaching the juniors in the Route One and Route Two tactics and it was quite sickening.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 84
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Classic Threads › worst ever town manager

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.