RichMariner
May 17, 2024, 12:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 222
Blimey.

The thing I don't get about this is that, had they sneaked a 1-0 win last night (and made the play-off final) he'd still be in a job. So, in effect, he's been sacked for one bad defeat.

I'm not sure what clubs like Norwich and Hull think they should expect. Norwich scored 79 goals, the most in the division outside the top 4.

The three clubs that got relegated from the PL last season had a HUGE advantage over every other club through their parachute payments. Leeds aren't long out of the PL, and Ipswich surprised everyone, so really, Norwich being up there and in the play-offs is about as high as they could realistically expect.

I do wonder if Ipswich's promotion played a part in this decision. For the first time in a good while, Norwich are behind their rivals.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 1 - 39
Poojah
May 17, 2024, 12:27pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.29
Rep Score: +77 / -12
Approval: +31,026
Gold Stars: 1,596
Delia’s been on the Pino Grigio again.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 39
diehardmariner
May 17, 2024, 12:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +18,292
Gold Stars: 585
More to this than initially appears.  Response from a lot of a Norwich fans here sum it up quite nicely.  Lack of alignment with the ethos of the ownership/sporting director and his football is/was turgid (although anyone who watched his Huddersfield side will know how he sets sides up, having Ashley Barnes as your attacking threat isn't exactly champagne football).

Not saying I agree with sacking a manager who finishes in the play-offs and gets knocked to a side that in most seasons would have gone up (with 90 points).  

Tweet 1791399679353065649 will appear here...
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 39
GrimRob
May 17, 2024, 3:27pm

Posts Per Day: 2.10
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,608
Gold Stars: 122
Everyone else can see how deluded other fans are, but none of us can see it in ourselves.

Exhibit A: Alan Buckley's final game in 2000 was a 1-1 draw at Portsmouth in the Championship. Many fans were delighted, although lots weren't.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Twitter
Reply: 4 - 39
diehardmariner
May 17, 2024, 3:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +18,292
Gold Stars: 585
Be it Buckley or be it Wagner, it's always the context that matters.  Clearly there were other things at play, namely the new occupants in the boardroom at the time, but by August 2000 our football had become utter dross under Buckley.  The end to 99/00 was painful.

Selling Jack Lester and then Buckley falling out with Lee Ashcroft saw the season before just fall off a cliff from January onwards, 5 points and no wins from the final 11 games.  Only 3 goals in that spell too.  Summer recruitment that saw Paul Raven and Michael Jeffrey come in for the ever popular Mark Lever and Ashcroft/Lester didn't help either.  

Lennie had massive funds to throw it at and boy did he use them.  Even still we only just stayed up at the death.  Can guarantee that had Buckley stayed in charge, we would have gone down that season with a whimper.  I suspect he wouldn't have had the funds to play with that Lennie had though.
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 39
BobbyCummingsTackle
May 17, 2024, 4:30pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.55
Rep Score: +8 / -5
Approval: +7,729
Gold Stars: 331
Quoted from diehardmariner
Be it Buckley or be it Wagner, it's always the context that matters.  Clearly there were other things at play, namely the new occupants in the boardroom at the time, but by August 2000 our football had become utter dross under Buckley.  The end to 99/00 was painful.

Selling Jack Lester and then Buckley falling out with Lee Ashcroft saw the season before just fall off a cliff from January onwards, 5 points and no wins from the final 11 games.  Only 3 goals in that spell too.  Summer recruitment that saw Paul Raven and Michael Jeffrey come in for the ever popular Mark Lever and Ashcroft/Lester didn't help either.  

Lennie had massive funds to throw it at and boy did he use them.  Even still we only just stayed up at the death.  Can guarantee that had Buckley stayed in charge, we would have gone down that season with a whimper.  I suspect he wouldn't have had the funds to play with that Lennie had though.

I was quite cheerful and everything seemed to be ok today and then you had to go and mention Michael Jeffrey. I am currently in a dark room with a wet towel on my forehead and breathing into a paper bag. My wife is rubbing my chest and singing 'Warm Kitty' to me.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 39
Mappers
May 17, 2024, 4:48pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.06
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,849
Gold Stars: 129
Quoted from GrimRob
Everyone else can see how deluded other fans are, but none of us can see it in ourselves.

Exhibit A: Alan Buckley's final game in 2000 was a 1-1 draw at Portsmouth in the Championship. Many fans were delighted, although lots weren't.

Lee Nogan was apparently .

I will add a bit - Sir Alan was effectively playing like a lot of teams do now or at least want to , If I remember correctly by the end it became even more possession based (I'm sure big Artell would have loved it as we must have been completing over the 600 passes a game he craves ) 4-5-1 with Lee Nogan putting in a heavy shift up top by himself whicg he seemed to endure rather than enjoy weekly . The cry of 'get it forward ' from the main stand was never so strong as in that season .... we just didn't know how good we had it : Prosinecki , Merson , Duff , Tugay and all at BP at some point around that time with many more 'big names ' I can't currently remember .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 39
arryarryarry
May 17, 2024, 7:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,951
Gold Stars: 119
If anyone should have been sacked then it was their keeper, he was pretty hopeless.
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 39
Kris2
May 17, 2024, 11:55pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,636
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from Mappers

Lee Nogan was apparently .

I will add a bit - Sir Alan was effectively playing like a lot of teams do now or at least want to , If I remember correctly by the end it became even more possession based (I'm sure big Artell would have loved it as we must have been completing over the 600 passes a game he craves ) 4-5-1 with Lee Nogan putting in a heavy shift up top by himself whicg he seemed to endure rather than enjoy weekly . The cry of 'get it forward ' from the main stand was never so strong as in that season .... we just didn't know how good we had it : Prosinecki , Merson , Duff , Tugay and all at BP at some point around that time with many more 'big names ' I can't currently remember .

For all the talk of how Buckley had us playing now among fans, people sure did hate it at the time lol. I think it just proves that no matter who is in charge and how we play, the main stand is always the stand for the complainer. Still remember lots of complaints about tippy-tap football and triangle passes that don't go anywhere. Think Buckley was stitched up that summer though by a new board that wanted to put their own stamp on the team by bringing in their guy and giving him the resources. We spunked tons of money on recruitment but somehow had no money for Buckley that summer who had to settle for two poor signings on a free after being told to sell his best asset the previous season.

As for big names I remember a young Ashley Cole on the BP pitch long before he became a big superstar married to a pop star. There was a bit of buzz around him as a hot prospect while on loan at Crystal Palace and by the next season he'd be a first team player at Arsenal.  
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 39
4 Pages 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Crazy world

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.