Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › European Super League (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 102 Guests

European Super League (merged)

This thread currently has 28,962 views. Print
22 Pages Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Next All Recommend Thread
diehardmariner
April 20, 2021, 2:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,748
Gold Stars: 543
Quoted from GrimExile

I think it should be pointed out that the original idea came from Kristine Green from the Trust which the club then fully supported. The idea is sheer genius and all I can say is well done Kristine. 👏👏👏👏

The concept originally came from the DN35 Podcast didn't it?  Suggesting that the club offer a shirt-for-ticket amnesty.

Either way it's great that the club* are listening to what fans are saying and suggesting.  

*we know it's not the current board...

Private Message
Reply: 170 - 219
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
April 20, 2021, 2:44pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,698
Gold Stars: 72
Am I the only one loving this? Ban them from english football for life and our leagues competetive appeal will continue to win fans worldwide while an ESL would be a bunch of overpaid 'stars' with no threat of relegation cantering round the pitch
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 171 - 219
diehardmariner
April 20, 2021, 2:51pm
Vodka Drinker
I'm not sure if I'm alone in thinking this but I really couldn't care about this breakaway league.

The highest levels of football have been dead to me for a fair few years.  I don't care if it's Manchester City at the top of the Premier League, Everton, Leicester, Burnley....they're all greedy fornicators who have done everything in their power to crap on everyone else below them.

The Premier League will cry foul about this but didn't care when they broke away in 1992 and saw that the distribution of wealth was dramatically filtered towards the top.  They didn't care when they advocated the move towards the 39th game.  They didn't care when they took an axe to cup replays to feather their own interests at the detriment to the potential income sources of the little clubs.  They certainly didn't cry foul about their own plans under EPPP which basically ensured that they can cherry pick and stockpile talented players for a pittance from the little clubs.

Nah, they paved the way for this path and now they're crying because it's working against them.  They've created a culture of greed within the game and now it's come back to bite them.

For all this talk of the footballing family, where was it when the clubs at the bottom needed them?

For me, as a Town fan and with an otherwise common interest in the game, this has no impact on me at all.  The integrity of our sport has long been dragged through the hedge and down the drain.

I understand the financial consequence of all this and how it may filter down to us.  However this has been long overdue and this may well serve as a perfect reboot for those clubs that remain in the English pyramid.  

The actual concept of this Super League is hilarious but sadly it'll probably work, especially in the short-term.  For all the pending protests and arms waving in uproar, it'll pale in comparison to the extra revenue that will be created in the Asian, African and American markets.   Anyone who thinks Joel Glazer will look at Ken from Trafford protesting and decide his view is more important than wads of money is deluded.

Let 'em go.  Laugh at the Premier League for creating the monster that ends up eating them.  Laugh even harder when the Super League itself implodes when it turns out that the combined global armchair audience only care about 3 or 4 teams.  The likes of Arsenal will be of no interest to a tourist fan in Shanghai and the calls will be to remove them so they can watch Barca v Liverpool 12 times a season.

Can't wait.
Private Message
Reply: 172 - 219
The Yard Dog
April 20, 2021, 3:00pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,518
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from AussieMariner

Putting Spurs in the super league is like putting Susan Boyle on Love Island

Love Island with Susan Boyle would have better viewing figures than any ESL game involving Spurs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 173 - 219
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 20, 2021, 3:57pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,335
Gold Stars: 309
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Serious point...

There’s a league with 15 permanent members and of those members 3 are from London, and 2 each from Manchester, Madrid and Milan.

How long down the line before, maybe the Glazers, decide having Man City on their doorstep means their market is too overcrowded and they want to move their SL home games to another city (maybe New York)?

What’s to stop Fenway moving a couple of home matches to Boston? Or Stan Kroenke having Arsenal home games in Los Angeles?

Money talks with these people. Nothing is off the table for them.

The Spurs stadium is built with 2 dressing rooms either side of the ground......because that's what the NFL demands. The NFL plays games in London and wants a London based team.

We all know about NFL teams being franchised - when the Rams moved to St Louis they built a purpose built stadium right in central St Louis. The franchise moved to LA and the stadium became a useless white elephant and central St Louis became a ghost town.

Your nightmare scenario is already happening in other sports! Why would football be any different?

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 174 - 219
DB
April 20, 2021, 4:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.37
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,065
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Serious point...

There’s a league with 15 permanent members and of those members 3 are from London, and 2 each from Manchester, Madrid and Milan.

How long down the line before, maybe the Glazers, decide having Man City on their doorstep means their market is too overcrowded and they want to move their SL home games to another city (maybe New York)?

What’s to stop Fenway moving a couple of home matches to Boston? Or Stan Kroenke having Arsenal home games in Los Angeles?

Money talks with these people. Nothing is off the table for them.

Agree with you, the Americans now have 'American Football' at Wembley and I believe that a Russian side train in Moscow and fly out to Siberia on match days. The only local connection being the club name!

It's been about money since 1992 and unfortunately, that will always be the case at the top. ull, Wigan, Barnsley, Bolton have all been there, and look at them now. No one cares anymore.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 175 - 219
DB
April 20, 2021, 4:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.37
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,065
Gold Stars: 391
Quoted from diehardmariner
I'm not sure if I'm alone in thinking this but I really couldn't care about this breakaway league.

The highest levels of football have been dead to me for a fair few years.  I don't care if it's Manchester City at the top of the Premier League, Everton, Leicester, Burnley....they're all greedy fornicators who have done everything in their power to crap on everyone else below them.

The Premier League will cry foul about this but didn't care when they broke away in 1992 and saw that the distribution of wealth was dramatically filtered towards the top.  They didn't care when they advocated the move towards the 39th game.  They didn't care when they took an axe to cup replays to feather their own interests at the detriment to the potential income sources of the little clubs.  They certainly didn't cry foul about their own plans under EPPP which basically ensured that they can cherry pick and stockpile talented players for a pittance from the little clubs.

Nah, they paved the way for this path and now they're crying because it's working against them.  They've created a culture of greed within the game and now it's come back to bite them.

For all this talk of the footballing family, where was it when the clubs at the bottom needed them?

For me, as a Town fan and with an otherwise common interest in the game, this has no impact on me at all.  The integrity of our sport has long been dragged through the hedge and down the drain.

I understand the financial consequence of all this and how it may filter down to us.  However this has been long overdue and this may well serve as a perfect reboot for those clubs that remain in the English pyramid.  

The actual concept of this Super League is hilarious but sadly it'll probably work, especially in the short-term.  For all the pending protests and arms waving in uproar, it'll pale in comparison to the extra revenue that will be created in the Asian, African and American markets.   Anyone who thinks Joel Glazer will look at Ken from Trafford protesting and decide his view is more important than wads of money is deluded.

Let 'em go.  Laugh at the Premier League for creating the monster that ends up eating them.  Laugh even harder when the Super League itself implodes when it turns out that the combined global armchair audience only care about 3 or 4 teams.  The likes of Arsenal will be of no interest to a tourist fan in Shanghai and the calls will be to remove them so they can watch Barca v Liverpool 12 times a season.

Can't wait.

I agree with what you have posted. To add to it one or two club spokesmen also said it was what football need ( or words to that effect ) and that it would help football!

Indeed all these rich clubs and players on £100k's per week want to help football. I didn't see them queueing up to help a well-run club, Dover who had simply run out of money because of covid.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 176 - 219
WHYWONTYOULETMESIGNUP
April 20, 2021, 4:15pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.63
Rep Score: +16 / -2
Approval: +3,698
Gold Stars: 72
Quoted from DB

Agree with you, the Americans now have 'American Football' at Wembley and I believe that a Russian side train in Moscow and fly out to Siberia on match days. The only local connection being the club name!

It's been about money since 1992 and unfortunately, that will always be the case at the top. ull, Wigan, Barnsley, Bolton have all been there, and look at them now. No one cares anymore.

Hull is a fantastic example, changing their identity to appeal to a global market as if that counted for anything and now theyre in league one

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 177 - 219
TownSNAFU5
April 20, 2021, 4:23pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,907
Gold Stars: 42
If we lose tonight then our invite is surely scuppered?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 178 - 219
diehardmariner
April 20, 2021, 4:28pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from DB

I agree with what you have posted. To add to it one or two club spokesmen also said it was what football need ( or words to that effect ) and that it would help football!

Indeed all these rich clubs and players on £100k's per week want to help football. I didn't see them queueing up to help a well-run club, Dover who had simply run out of money because of covid.

Having seen that quote, to be honest I've tuned out of a lot of it, but it doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

Mirrors when they set up the Premier League to help the national game....lost track of all the successes we've had on the back of it.
Private Message
Reply: 179 - 219
22 Pages Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › European Super League (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.