Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › European Super League (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 144 Guests

European Super League (merged)

This thread currently has 29,008 views. Print
22 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Next All Recommend Thread
DB
April 19, 2021, 6:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.34
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,065
Gold Stars: 391
I've listened to bits and pieces from politicians decrying the new super league. Unfortunately, these same people couldn't be bothered to help the National league teams with grants after Christmas, just loans.

Absolutely amazing that when votes may be at stake ( May elections) they become interested.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 219
DB
April 19, 2021, 6:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.34
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,065
Gold Stars: 391
I've listened to bits and pieces from politicians decrying the new super league. Unfortunately, these same people couldn't be bothered to help the National league teams with grants after Christmas, just loans.

Absolutely amazing that when votes may be at stake ( May elections) they become interested.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 219
KingstonMariner
April 19, 2021, 7:35pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.03
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
What a shame that those up for election in May cannot do a thing about this. Still, I expect those flag-wavers in power will not be slow in protecting our national sport. Lia Nici will no doubt be lobbying the PM right now.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 219
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
April 19, 2021, 7:58pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,022
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Madeleymariner

To be honest its called the World Series as it was originally set up and sponsored as such by The World or maybe Daily World newspaper in America. I used to think the exact same thing as you till a few years ago

I used to think that too.

Quoted Text
For many years, it was believed that the name came from the fact that the original series was sponsored by the New York World Telegram newspaper, thus becoming known as the ‘World’s Series’. However, popular as this explanation may be, it’s not actually true and although the newspaper did report the results of the games, it had nothing to do with the naming of the competition.

The real reason behind the name is thanks to Barney Dreyfuss who was the owner of the Pittsburgh Pirates. In 1903, he wrote to the owner of the Boston Red Sox challenging them to a ‘World’s Championship Series’. The Pirates were the best team in the National League and the Red Sox were the best in the American League.

The games went ahead and Boston won the series five games to three. Over time, the 'World’s Championship Series' name has been shortened to the World Series and has been played every year apart from 1904 and 1994.

And when you fall back into the mud it hurts a lot.
No! None of it was true, none of those things we thought we could see existed at all.
All that was really there was still more misery

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 219
Gaffer58
April 19, 2021, 8:15pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,103
Gold Stars: 33
Supposing theses 6 clubs are kicked out off the premiership, next Sky would be asking for a rebate on their yearly costs as these 6 clubs are not in it anymore. Also what’s to say that Sky/ BT haven’t been approached already about buying into it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 219
GrimExile
April 19, 2021, 8:45pm
Live in Bucks born and bred in Grimsby.
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,281
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from cardiffmariner

Brilliant. Love this. Very ungtfc to be this quick and imaginative. I’d be interested to know who’s idea it was and whether it is an example of some of the more positive PR we hope the new regime can bring.

I think it should be pointed out that the original idea came from Kristine Green from the Trust which the club then fully supported. The idea is sheer genius and all I can say is well done Kristine. 👏👏👏👏
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 219
Heswall Mariner
April 19, 2021, 8:47pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +594
Gold Stars: 30
No German teams involved in this - we all know why.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 219
Squinter
April 19, 2021, 8:48pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +587
Gold Stars: 9
Still more to come from this I think.  Looking at the format, to get to the final a team would have to play 23 Super League games, coupled with 38 PL games.  Then you've got FA Cup games, League Cup and International games.  

To what detrement is the Super League gonna have on FA Cup and League Cup, both these cups have already been devalued  by the big 6.  It's up to the FA to make a massive stand on this and limit the amount of team changes the big 6 can make for these cup games.

Due to the sheer volume of games I can also see clubs trying to pull players out of International friendly's and qualifyers, so again de-valueing our national team
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 219
denni266
April 19, 2021, 8:53pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +13 / -22
Approval: +704
Gold Stars: 132
I see that the government have said that everything will be put on the table to stop it,,, That probably means cash again for the so called elite . They are just greedy barstewards and dont give a toss about anyone but themselves ,, Its not a sport any more up there its just about money  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 219
Stadium
April 19, 2021, 8:54pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.77
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from GrimExile

I think it should be pointed out that the original idea came from Kristine Green from the Trust which the club then fully supported. The idea is sheer genius and all I can say is well done Kristine. 👏👏👏👏

https://www.hotukdeals.com/dea.....msby-town-fc-3709668

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 219
22 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › European Super League (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.