Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Mental Health
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 17 Guests

Mental Health

This thread currently has 22,100 views. Print
35 Pages Prev ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... Next All Recommend Thread
lukeo
April 18, 2022, 9:58pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,419
Gold Stars: 149
Quoted from AussieMariner
Bumping this thread in the context of the Lee Calton thread on the main board in case anyone needs to reach out

Usually only go on the main football part of the forum but after that thread thought I'd pop over and take a look at this, pretty sure I've  posted in it somewhere a while ago.
Anyway, hope you're all welll. If not.. Talk. Open up. Best thing I ever did. My dad has always lived away from me so I kind of resented him for it. But in lockdown he was my hero. We became so close and he helped me massively through my struggles.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 210 - 340
Cod marriner
April 25, 2022, 12:13am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +113
Gold Stars: 1
So for those on here that have gone through with finding help where did you start? Just go to doctors and talk to them and go from there or is there any recommendations were to go to talk too to find help to see what’s going on?
I think the toughest thing is to accept that you need help and go get it if it’s something you have been suffering from for far too long.
That’s the problem with me, I feel stubborn, embarrassed and maybe too proud to just admit I need help but I guess i’v just said it now so obviously I have now accepted I can’t do this anymore and definitely know I need to find help to help myself.
I have struggled for years and I know this can’t be a normal way to live but yet I talk myself out of getting help by thinking oh it will get better and go away, I somehow just carry on through life feeling lost and confused most of the time simply because I can’t think straight as frustrated with myself all the time with the way I am, maybe it’s called overthinking literally over nothing far too much because I do that an awful lot.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 211 - 340
Sandford1981
April 25, 2022, 8:17am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,099
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Cod marriner
So for those on here that have gone through with finding help where did you start? Just go to doctors and talk to them and go from there or is there any recommendations were to go to talk too to find help to see what’s going on?
I think the toughest thing is to accept that you need help and go get it if it’s something you have been suffering from for far too long.
That’s the problem with me, I feel stubborn, embarrassed and maybe too proud to just admit I need help but I guess i’v just said it now so obviously I have now accepted I can’t do this anymore and definitely know I need to find help to help myself.
I have struggled for years and I know this can’t be a normal way to live but yet I talk myself out of getting help by thinking oh it will get better and go away, I somehow just carry on through life feeling lost and confused most of the time simply because I can’t think straight as frustrated with myself all the time with the way I am, maybe it’s called overthinking literally over nothing far too much because I do that an awful lot.

To cut a long story short (ish) I kept things bottled up for way too long and had a breakdown because of it. It all came to a head when I was driving to work one day and I was crying so hard I couldn’t drive safely. I had to pull in at the willows shops and I just let loose.
I rang my Mrs and that was that. I wasn’t suicidal but knew I couldn’t live like I had been doing any longer. My body overruled my head and sort of said ‘if you’re not going to do something then I will!’
I booked in at my doctors that morning and that was the start of a very long journey.
I’m a huge advocate of talking therapy and recommend giving that a chance alongside medication. It’s not easy but things can be better.
My advice is to ring your Doctor now.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 212 - 340
Cod marriner
April 25, 2022, 9:46am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +113
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Sandford1981

To cut a long story short (ish) I kept things bottled up for way too long and had a breakdown because of it. It all came to a head when I was driving to work one day and I was crying so hard I couldn’t drive safely. I had to pull in at the willows shops and I just let loose.
I rang my Mrs and that was that. I wasn’t suicidal but knew I couldn’t live like I had been doing any longer. My body overruled my head and sort of said ‘if you’re not going to do something then I will!’
I booked in at my doctors that morning and that was the start of a very long journey.
I’m a huge advocate of talking therapy and recommend giving that a chance alongside medication. It’s not easy but things can be better.
My advice is to ring your Doctor now.

Thank you for the reply, that’s exactly how it has been for me for years and I’m just living with it but I now need to force myself to just go get help. My mood swings are up and down but when I get low I get real low to the point I feel I’m backed on the corner and there’s no way out, I think about suicide all the time and feel a hinderance to my wife and family a total failure, the crazy thing is I have absolutely no reason to feel like this.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 213 - 340
Sandford1981
April 25, 2022, 10:35am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,099
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Cod marriner

Thank you for the reply, that’s exactly how it has been for me for years and I’m just living with it but I now need to force myself to just go get help. My mood swings are up and down but when I get low I get real low to the point I feel I’m backed on the corner and there’s no way out, I think about suicide all the time and feel a hinderance to my wife and family a total failure, the crazy thing is I have absolutely no reason to feel like this.  

I’m sorry you’re feeling that way - That’s an awful place to be and it must be exhausting for you.

I cannot stress this enough, you really are NOT alone! Sure we all experience the same illnesses differently and the underlying causes can be for 100s of different reasons but all the contributors on here will recognise themselves in what you are saying.

I know as a male it can be difficult to admit to being ill especially mentally but I genuinely believe it takes strength.

Does your partner know about what you are going through?

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 214 - 340
lukeo
April 25, 2022, 7:57pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,419
Gold Stars: 149
Cod Marriner please contact me anytime if you need a chat.

If you're on Facebook search 'TALK CLUB' I used it when I was at my lowest point. But I would 100% recommend talking to your doctor and try explaining what it is. It isnt an easy process and they'll fob you off in some sense but do it. Also i found talking to someone non professional (my dad in this instance) for a non professional view/support.

All I will say is surround yourself with lovely kind people who love you. It's taken me 10yrs of being down south to finally find someone who let's me be me and helps me to live as happy a life as possible.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 215 - 340
cmackenzie4
April 26, 2022, 10:28am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 11.23
Rep Score: +130 / -10
Approval: +14,345
Gold Stars: 34
I hope you’re ok Cod Marriner, I hope you find all the help and love you need mate.

Grimsby and proud!
Private Message
Reply: 216 - 340
Rick12
July 11, 2022, 8:46am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from aldi_01

Whilst I sort of understand the need for some consequence, the consequences you suggest have been proven to create their own long term mental health problems, thus creating a cycle…
Valid points. But the need for punishment is necessary as well as part of a overall framework. I do however agree with you to a extent. Some of these people that commit commit crimes in varying degrees eg ,theft and so forth have come from horrible pasts so the need for sympathy and tough love is necessary as well in order to heal someone.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 217 - 340
AndyDarloFC
July 13, 2022, 9:49am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +17 / 0
Approval: +1,695
Gold Stars: 33
Just seen this post on the here regarding mental health and how it’s affected you personally.

Firstly, I’m sorry to hear that and that you’ve suffered personally through it.

Secondly, I just wanted to reach out and let you know that although I’m a stranger personally to you. My messages are always open for a chat if ever needed.

Before the pandemic hit, I did a lot of work for CALM and still do my fair bit of outreach via my social media.
Try and keep your mind occupied and keep yourself busy as much as you can. Don’t dwell on anything if you can’t help it. You’ve got this buddy.

Just wanted to let you know that you’re not alone, nor will you and I’ll always be a message away should you ever need it.

Keep your head high, keep the mind busy.
Andy

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 218 - 340
Rick12
July 13, 2022, 9:55am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from AndyDarloFC
Just seen this post on the here regarding mental health and how it’s affected you personally.

Keep your head high, keep the mind busy.
Andy
Nice post .

Without trying to sound like a grammar record , life is perfect for noone albeit for some more than others .

I thought this was a beautiful post by someone on Twitter which I saved on my bookmarks:

Tweet 1468649377703071755 will appear here...

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 219 - 340
35 Pages Prev ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Mental Health

Thread Rating

There have been 3 votes for this thread.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.