Heisenberg
June 29, 2017, 1:00pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,113
Gold Stars: 97
Quoted from GollyGTFC
Amond? Really? He only scored 14 goals for Hartlepool. To put that in context Sam Jones scored 7 in 16 for us after he signed.

Slade has been open in that he wants to add some pace & physicality into his striker options. Neither of those are strengths of Amond.

People need to stop living in the past. We had the Amond love in last summer when Hurst obviously wasn't fussed to lose him. And Hurst was proved right.

I don't think Hurst was right in the way you mean it at all, I think Hurst wanted to keep him but he didn't manage it very well and he ended up leaving.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 129
The Yard Dog
June 29, 2017, 1:09pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,521
Gold Stars: 74

Nobody knows the terms of that extension offer- it could quite easily have been derisory knowing certain penny pinching tendencies. Just look at how the club (Hurst) decimated the team at the end of a promotion season, some loyalty there!!. Goals win games and proven goal scorers are at a premium so if the chance does come along to re-sign Amond then any petty grudges need to be put aside, after all the same applies to Slade.

Regarding Hearn, he was at his goal scoring best when he had Elding as a partner ,another player that left because of the way the club (Hurst) handled his situation badly.

[/b]Bogle left mid season despite Bignot stating he would stay - some loyalty.[b]

Supporters tend to hold certain players with reverence but as a footballing career is short all players tend to go for the best they can get at the time as they are no different to the rest of us with a family and mortgage to support. Loyalty does little to pay the bills unfortunately.  

The offer was to good to refuse for both parties
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 129
Maringer
June 29, 2017, 1:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,699
Gold Stars: 189
I always think that goalscoring stats can be slightly misleading. Amond played pretty much every minute and scored 14 goals which wasn't bad for him, but obviously not good enough for his team. Alessandra (who I seem to remember looked quite useful at BP?) played almost every minute and scored 9 goals. 23 goals in total from your main strike partnership isn't really good enough, especially if the midfield aren't chipping in with enough goals as Hartlepool's relegation showed. Admittedly, their dismal defence was probably more of an issue but I still think if Amond doesn't score, he doesn't really do anything else.

Put it this way. If we signed him, I'd be OK with it but it wouldn't get my pulse racing and I'd be surprised if he was the sort of player that Slade is after.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 129
Grantley
June 29, 2017, 1:27pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +2,506
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Maringer
I always think that goalscoring stats can be slightly misleading. Amond played pretty much every minute and scored 14 goals which wasn't bad for him, but obviously not good enough for his team. Alessandra (who I seem to remember looked quite useful at BP?) played almost every minute and scored 9 goals. 23 goals in total from your main strike partnership isn't really good enough, especially if the midfield aren't chipping in with enough goals as Hartlepool's relegation showed. Admittedly, their dismal defence was probably more of an issue but I still think if Amond doesn't score, he doesn't really do anything else.

Put it this way. If we signed him, I'd be OK with it but it wouldn't get my pulse racing and I'd be surprised if he was the sort of player that Slade is after.

Alessandra is a winger.

Jordan Magrew
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 129
psgmariner
June 29, 2017, 1:30pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Was this transfer request ever verified?

Private Message
Reply: 74 - 129
KingstonMariner
June 29, 2017, 10:23pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.03
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Abdul19
Ignoring the fact that he used to play for us - would I be pleased if we were after a decent footballer who managed 14 goals for the second worst team in the league? Yes I probably would.

I was gonna tick this but noticed you had 14, so I didn't want to break the symmetry (or whatever the right word is).

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 129
Southwark Mariner
June 29, 2017, 11:26pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,572
Gold Stars: 84
Quoted from Maringer

eh? So you wouldn't want a goalscorer because his goals were scored when he was surrounded by midfielders who weren't scoring goals and defenders who couldn't defend?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 129
HertsGTFC
June 30, 2017, 7:32am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,042
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from Heisenberg

I don't think Hurst was right in the way you mean it at all, I think Hurst wanted to keep him but he didn't manage it very well and he ended up leaving.

I think Hurst wanted him to stay why else would he go against his golden rule and offer the player an extension mid season? If you recall it appeared that Podge "left it to his agent" always dangerous for a club that as the managers has the relationship with the player and not the agent and does not have as much to play on during any negotiation.

Podge is a perfect illustration of a lower league player in modern football in that he will move for what his agent tells him is a better deal even if it's not a better club/side, Why? Because his agent is an agent and their job is to earn their commission and the best way to do that is to get players to hop around.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 129
Maringer
June 30, 2017, 8:30am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,699
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from Southwark Mariner

eh? So you wouldn't want a goalscorer because his goals were scored when he was surrounded by midfielders who weren't scoring goals and defenders who couldn't defend?

No, it's in combination with my earlier comments. I think he's a flat track bully - only scores his goals against the weaker teams in a division and doesn't do anything at all against the stronger teams. If you have somebody who scores a certain number of goals but without enough support for the rest of the team, the goals don't tell the whole story. When he was playing for us in the Conference, he didn't score against the top teams and his record was pretty much the same with Hartlepool last season. Wouldn't be surprised if it was the same when he was with Morecambe. I'd check Soccerbase for this but it seems their database has crapped out over the past couple of days.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think he's a bad player at all and he has good movement and finishing, but I can see why Morecambe didn't play him through the middle. Might be a difference case if he was playing in a team with a dominant midfield, but it tends to be the top teams who have the best midfield and I'd doubt any of the biggest teams in the division would sign him.

He'd probably do a good job for the likes of Tranmere in the Conference, assuming they will be one of the strongest teams again next season. Will probably find himself back at a mid-table League Two team.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 129
moosey_club
June 30, 2017, 9:42am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,334
Gold Stars: 229
Quoted from Maringer

No, it's in combination with my earlier comments. I think he's a flat track bully - only scores his goals against the weaker teams in a division and doesn't do anything at all against the stronger teams. If you have somebody who scores a certain number of goals but without enough support for the rest of the team, the goals don't tell the whole story. When he was playing for us in the Conference, he didn't score against the top teams and his record was pretty much the same with Hartlepool last season. .

Nothing to do with the rest of the team creating him chances against the tougher opposition then ? All his fault ?

Amond is a goal scorer, an opportunist, and that type of player needs support and assistance. He has good movement in and around the box as he showed against us last season, he virtually did fck all throughout 90 mins but scored 2 goals.
He was playing in a p1ss poor team who got relegated, no wonder he couldnt score against any of the top sides as his team were outclassed.
When he played for us against the top teams Hurst was more concerned with not losing so again attacking options were limited, wingers behind the ball, centre midfielders on the wing etc.

The lad can finish no doubt but he isnt the type of striker that can do it alone. Would that fit with Slades vision ? I am not sure it would TBH.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 129
13 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Amond

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.