Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New striker
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 64 Guests

New striker

This thread currently has 36,829 views. Print
18 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
July 5, 2015, 6:52pm
Guest User
Anyone heard anything on who the 'physical striker' is?

I have seen someone on twitter say that Bird is to make a decision early next week and it looks like Palmer is heading to Leyton Orient. Has anyone heard anything else?
Reply: 150 - 172
grimsby pete
July 5, 2015, 6:57pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.77
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,852
Gold Stars: 223
Quoted from 1739
Anyone heard anything on who the 'physical striker' is?

I have seen someone on twitter say that Bird is to make a decision early next week and it looks like Palmer is heading to Leyton Orient. Has anyone heard anything else?

I don't think we want one, Bogle and Amond will score loads.

Over 37 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             69 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 151 - 172
July 5, 2015, 7:02pm
Guest User
Quoted from grimsby pete

We need a more physical option up there in my opinion and Hurst thinks so as well. We haven't go a natural target man which a lot of successful teams have at this level.
Reply: 152 - 172
promotion plaice
July 5, 2015, 7:19pm

Posts Per Day: 3.84
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,088
Gold Stars: 201
Quoted from 1739

We need a more physical option up there in my opinion and Hurst thinks so as well. We haven't go a natural target man which a lot of successful teams have at this level.

John Akinde scored a hat trick for Barnet yesterday in a friendly against Hungerford, the first of his goals was when he was brought down in the box for a penalty, what a surprise.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 153 - 172
Ipswin
July 5, 2015, 8:02pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from grimsby pete

I certainly think those two plus (the odd goal from JPP) will do the business

I really don't want to see long balls hoofed up to a big striker in the hope that he can a) win the ball in the air b) hold it up and c) lay it off to one of the class ball-on-the-deck strikers

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 154 - 172
July 5, 2015, 8:10pm
Guest User
Quoted from Ipswin

I really don't want to see long balls hoofed up to a big striker in the hope that he can a) win the ball in the air b) hold it up and c) lay it off to one of the class ball-on-the-deck strikers

Even if it brings us promotion and is successful ?
Reply: 155 - 172
Stew0_0
July 5, 2015, 8:15pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +1,198
Gold Stars: 35
Would like to think its either Calvin Zola, Ollie Palmer or Ryan Bird, though knowing Hurst he will surprise us all and pull a name out of the hat that no one has mentioned so far.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 156 - 172
Youngy
July 5, 2015, 9:50pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +1,684
Gold Stars: 9
I seem to remember we were linked with Rene Howe a few seasons back, he's a free agent and would also fit the target man bill.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 157 - 172
friskneymariner
July 5, 2015, 10:07pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from Youngy
I seem to remember we were linked with Rene Howe a few seasons back, he's a free agent and would also fit the target man bill.

Thought he had retired due to his partner's illness,I have always rated him.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 158 - 172
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
July 5, 2015, 10:27pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Ipswin

I'm a big fan of on the deck football as well but - does it always get results in this league? Playing through teams needs a quality midfield as well as quality strikers. Midfield players in the Conference don't always get the time to play. So alternatives are needed.

The main factor though is that Hurst bases his sides on defence first and foremost. We don't play the ball out all the time, very often the ball is hoofed up and the midfield has to look for the second ball to start playing. In my opinion that's why Hurst likes players like Brown, Clay and Disley. They are not really playmakers but they are active battlers to win the second ball and push it wide or through to strikers. That's his system, it's not my cup of tea but to be fair it is a good one for this league. Last year it only needed a few more goals and it would have got us promoted. So Hurst will replace like for like, another LJL will be signed and my guess is he will be the first name on the team sheet for the majority of games.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 159 - 172
18 Pages Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › New striker

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.