Print Topic - Archive

Fishy Forum  /  Archive  /  
Posted by: The Singing Fisherman, June 30, 2015, 4:55pm
So we all know the next player coming in is a striker will it be Bird? Tom Elliot or somone no one has mentioned? Anyone know when this next signing May be?
Posted by: Laddy89, June 30, 2015, 5:03pm; Reply: 1
Is this meant to be today? Or just a rumour that the next signing is a striker?
Posted by: Mighty_Mariner, June 30, 2015, 5:07pm; Reply: 2
I'm hearing tomorrow!
Posted by: coxy, June 30, 2015, 5:08pm; Reply: 3
Be amazing if we signed him today aha am currently sat waiting for a bus at London Victoria eagerly awaiting gtfc news aha

Utm
Posted by: mariner2000, June 30, 2015, 5:36pm; Reply: 4
the comment was made earlier that Hurst is to talk AGAIN to Bird so that to me says, unless it 2 strikers, no decision has yet been made and Bird is Number 1

Having said that we know better than to believe comments coming from Hurst etc so it could easily be Bird tomorrow.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, June 30, 2015, 5:53pm; Reply: 5
From what am led to believe, it's someone hurst has been interested in for a while.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), June 30, 2015, 5:55pm; Reply: 6
Bird will be the final piece of the jigsaw. We are one physical striker away from a title challenging team and for me he is the man. We have quality in depth all over the pitch and you just need to look at our possible bench to realise how much quality around the whole squad we have.
Posted by: Mariner_09, June 30, 2015, 6:02pm; Reply: 7
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
From what am led to believe, it's someone hurst has been interested in for a while.

I read that as Bird then, we've been interested in him before.
Posted by: The Singing Fisherman, June 30, 2015, 6:15pm; Reply: 8
Another signing due tomorrow when the players come back for pre season training  :)
Posted by: Hagrid, June 30, 2015, 6:26pm; Reply: 9
read into this what you will, Ryan Bird just retweeted GTFC's capture of Tate today......
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, June 30, 2015, 6:43pm; Reply: 10
I hope that the Bird has not flown.
Posted by: cmackenzie4, June 30, 2015, 6:44pm; Reply: 11
Let's hope it's Bird, good player for this level, sounds like Paul Hurst is playing it a bit Cagey!  ;)
Posted by: ClarkyGTFC, June 30, 2015, 6:53pm; Reply: 12
If we sign him we will fly away with the league
Posted by: Garth, June 30, 2015, 7:29pm; Reply: 13
Quoted from cmackenzie4
Let's hope it's Bird, good player for this level, sounds like Paul Hurst is playing it a bit Cagey!  ;)

Or a feather plucker
Posted by: chaos33, June 30, 2015, 8:50pm; Reply: 14
Quoted from 1739
Bird will be the final piece of the jigsaw. We are one physical striker away from a title challenging team and for me he is the man. We have quality in depth all over the pitch and you just need to look at our possible bench to realise how much quality around the whole squad we have.

I disagree. If we sign Bird or another striker, that will give us 3, and that's not enough. We need 4.

We also need a quality centre midfielder. Someone who can dictate play, and influence or control a game. None of our current three, for all their combined assets, can do that.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), June 30, 2015, 9:10pm; Reply: 15
Quoted from chaos33

I disagree. If we sign Bird or another striker, that will give us 3, and that's not enough. We need 4.

We also need a quality centre midfielder. Someone who can dictate play, and influence or control a game. None of our current three, for all their combined assets, can do that.

Marshall, Monkhouse and  Arnold can also play upfront. On top of Bogle, Pitman and new striker. For me I think this is enough.

I agree with you in the centre mid area but I don't think its a necessity. For me I think a lot of our fans underestimate Clays ability and what he brings to the team, I can see him prospering into a very good player this season and surprising a lot of people.

Although I would be happy with our current squad (+ a striker) going into the season, I can still see Mr Hurst bringing in a few more.

Posted by: Mariner_09, June 30, 2015, 9:18pm; Reply: 16
Quoted from chaos33

I don't think Hurst wants another dictator of play, if Brown can keep himself fit then I think he can do that job.
Posted by: Garth, June 30, 2015, 9:27pm; Reply: 17
Quoted from Mariner_09

I don't think Hurst wants another dictator of play, if Brown can keep himself fit then I think he can do that job.

Really,  apart from a bright start to the season he receives the ball and heads for the nearest group of defenders and loses it, whereas Clay always tries to pass the ball almost immediately
Posted by: TonyCrane, June 30, 2015, 9:29pm; Reply: 18
I can possibly see Monkhouse taking more of a central midfield role although that's not his natural position.
Posted by: marinerjase, June 30, 2015, 9:30pm; Reply: 19
More(signingsto)cambe..apparently. Nuts isn't it??
Posted by: Abdul19, June 30, 2015, 9:31pm; Reply: 20
Quoted from marinerjase
More(signingsto)cambe..apparently. Nuts isn't it??

Will stick some money on at Paddy Power.
Posted by: TonyCrane, June 30, 2015, 9:34pm; Reply: 21
Padraig Amond by any chance?
Posted by: LH, June 30, 2015, 9:34pm; Reply: 22
I'll go with Padraig Amond released by Morecambe this season then ;)
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, June 30, 2015, 9:46pm; Reply: 23
Bit to prove if true but must have something about him .
Posted by: Mariner_09, June 30, 2015, 9:51pm; Reply: 24
Quoted from Garth

[/b]
Really,  apart from a bright start to the season he receives the ball and heads for the nearest group of defenders and loses it, whereas Clay always tries to pass the ball almost immediately

I say this because the start of the season (including pre-season) was the only time he was fit enough to string a number of games together. I think him, Mackreth and Toto will be better this year.
Posted by: SamTheMariner, June 30, 2015, 9:54pm; Reply: 25
Quoted from LH
I'll go with Padraig Amond released by Morecambe this season then ;)

Scored 31 in League 1 for me on FM after Meza's suggestion!
Posted by: mariner91, June 30, 2015, 9:58pm; Reply: 26
Amond doesn't have the greatest scoring record but then he's always played at a higher level than this so could be another Connell. Would still love to see Bird here.
Posted by: bobbyturtle, June 30, 2015, 10:00pm; Reply: 27
I think Brown and Clay are good competition for each other. An established pro vs a hungry young player. utm
Posted by: chaos33, June 30, 2015, 10:46pm; Reply: 28
Quoted from 1739

Marshall, Monkhouse and  Arnold can also play upfront. On top of Bogle, Pitman and new striker. For me I think this is enough.

I agree with you in the centre mid area but I don't think its a necessity. For me I think a lot of our fans underestimate Clays ability and what he brings to the team, I can see him prospering into a very good player this season and surprising a lot of people.

Although I would be happy with our current squad (+ a striker) going into the season, I can still see Mr Hurst bringing in a few more.

I dare say that Marshall, Monkhouse and Arnold 'can' all play up front, just like Shaun Pearson can play in goal, but why would we want to force players into secondary positions? None of those three have played up front with any regularity, and not for a long time. I can't understand why people want to compromise. We went through last season with at least 4 recognised strikers and I see no reason why we should stray from that model, especially given that Bogle is unproven at this level, and Pitman is injury prone. It's a total no-brainer for me.

I think we need to look at the stats for our centre midfielders, For all of their efforts and commitment and energy, both Brown and Clay have a pitiful amount of total goals and assists combined, and, for me, that's one of the areas that we need to improve upon if we want to progress that little bit further and secure promotion. I think Brown has been very erratic, and Clay is, what I'd call, functionally effective. Unspectacular if you like. Steady. I think, at the very least, we need competition for places in this area. Really - we need more quality.
Posted by: Maringer, June 30, 2015, 10:56pm; Reply: 29
I seem to remember reading that Arnold has actually played up front on occasion. His wikipedia page says he has, so it must surely be true!  ;)

I could see him playing wide in a front 3 quite effectively as that's not far off being a winger in any case, but not sure if his positioning would be up to playing in a front two. He certainly hits the ball cleanly enough to score a few goals if the chances were to come his way.

I think I'd probably be happy enough with just one more striker for now with one of the other wide players as a back up in an emergency, especially if we can play 4-3-3. Just hope Pittman can stay fit for most of the season.
Posted by: Tommy, June 30, 2015, 11:03pm; Reply: 30
Spot on Chaos.

I can't understand how anyone would think 3 strikers will be enough when Pittman is unlikely to be consistently fit.

Also agree on the prospects of Arnold, Monkhouse and especially Marshall playing up front. We could get away with playing Arnold in the hole behind a striker on occasions (possibly some away games) and i'll wait to see Monkhouse play before making comment but as far as I know he's always played left-mid or centre-mid. And Marshall hasn't got the football brain or instincts of a striker at all.

Always makes me laugh when, for example, we sign a left winger and he once played left back when he was 14 for twenty minutes after the left back got sent off. So the OS site/GT etc write-ups claim he "can also play left back".

It could be though, that Hurst starts the season with 3 and looks to get one on loan when the season starts?
Posted by: Meza, June 30, 2015, 11:16pm; Reply: 31
Quoted from SamTheMariner

Scored 31 in League 1 for me on FM after Meza's suggestion!

Haha nice one
Posted by: Heisenberg, June 30, 2015, 11:20pm; Reply: 32
Quoted from Garth

[/b]

I'm with you on that.  When I first saw Brown I thought "wow, he's the midfielder we've been screaming out for", then he gets injured and now he's a headless chicken.  Clay is the better player, in my opinion.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), June 30, 2015, 11:22pm; Reply: 33
Quoted from chaos33

I dare say that Marshall, Monkhouse and Arnold 'can' all play up front, just like Shaun Pearson can play in goal, but why would we want to force players into secondary positions? None of those three have played up front with any regularity, and not for a long time. I can't understand why people want to compromise. We went through last season with at least 4 recognised strikers and I see no reason why we should stray from that model, especially given that Bogle is unproven at this level, and Pitman is injury prone. It's a total no-brainer for me.

I think we need to look at the stats for our centre midfielders, For all of their efforts and commitment and energy, both Brown and Clay have a pitiful amount of total goals and assists combined, and, for me, that's one of the areas that we need to improve upon if we want to progress that little bit further and secure promotion. I think Brown has been very erratic, and Clay is, what I'd call, functionally effective. Unspectacular if you like. Steady. I think, at the very least, we need competition for places in this area. Really - we need more quality.

Hurst did say he would like to keep with a small squad with more quality which I agree with. I personally think we will sign another 2 strikers but I wouldn't be worried if we didn't with the amount of versatility up front and on the wings. It does sound like Almond will sign tomorrow and hopefully Bird or another physical striker will do the same within the next few weeks.

I have pretty much the same opinion in the centre mid as I do the strikers. I personally think we would be more than comfortable challenging for the league with Brown, Disley, Clay and East in there. I would like to see a bit more energy and movement  in there but  I do  think we will see Clay nail down a starting spot in there this season. I can see why people would like to see a bit more energy and pace in there but it is not always as effective as someone like Clay who can do the simple things correct. The risk of changing a simple player like Clay who cleans up play well could have an impact on our defensive side of the game (which I hope and don't think Hurst will even contemplate doing.

Posted by: KingstonMariner, June 30, 2015, 11:26pm; Reply: 34
If only there'd been an occasion during a high pressure game when Arnold cut into the middle and struck a couple of important goals. Then I'd believe he could play up front.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), June 30, 2015, 11:30pm; Reply: 35
Quoted from Tommy

It could be though, that Hurst starts the season with 3 and looks to get one on loan when the season starts?

We went for that last season and we didn't find the elusive striker until January in Ollie Palmer. By that time it was to late and we was 12 points off Barnet.

With Almond looking likely to sign (who is a striker/ winger)  and us being linked with Bird then I think we will be trying our best to get 2 strikers in before the season starts. Although as I have already posted I don't think it is a necessity to sign Almond but I do think that is vital that we do sign a big physical striker before the season starts.
Posted by: Laddy89, June 30, 2015, 11:34pm; Reply: 36
Iffy Onuora due to sign tomorrow,  big target man we have been wanting.

You heard it here first
Posted by: Tommy, June 30, 2015, 11:36pm; Reply: 37
Quoted from KingstonMariner
If only there'd been an occasion during a high pressure game when Arnold cut into the middle and struck a couple of important goals. Then I'd believe he could play up front.

:) Point taken, but..... it's a big change going from ghosting infield from the wing un-tracked whilst the CB's are marking the strikers, to starting up front getting picked up by the CB's and receiving the ball a lot with your back to goal and a defender up your bottom.

I could see Arnold playing behind the striker in a 4-4-1-1 in the odd game but not in a 4-4-2.
Posted by: Laddy89, June 30, 2015, 11:38pm; Reply: 38
Bogle will need support, either wingers or a target man with him,  so i can't see arnold playing just behind him.
Posted by: Meza, June 30, 2015, 11:43pm; Reply: 39
If Amond or Bird sign still think we need that a big strong striker not sure Monkhouse is the answer for that role seeing that he hasn't played striker consistently mainly left midfield.  Also im all for covering positions and versatility but i hope PH plays players in their strongest position.
Posted by: The Singing Fisherman, June 30, 2015, 11:44pm; Reply: 40
It's defo Padraig Amond. It's the signing Toto has been excited about. He played with him at Accrington Stanley. Sounds like a decent player to be fair.
Posted by: Meza, June 30, 2015, 11:49pm; Reply: 41
Well i haven't seen him play but know many who have is a v good player.  I have though often seen his name pop up on the vidiprinter lol.  I think he's a signing of intent personally.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 1, 2015, 12:36am; Reply: 42
Quoted from Tommy

:) Point taken, but..... it's a big change going from ghosting infield from the wing un-tracked whilst the CB's are marking the strikers, to starting up front getting picked up by the CB's and receiving the ball a lot with your back to goal and a defender up your bottom.

I could see Arnold playing behind the striker in a 4-4-1-1 in the odd game but not in a 4-4-2.

True. I'd have been worried more about what the right back was doing if I was Hill.

Still a bit of mobility and switching around mid-game is a good thing, and probably easier to pull off at this level.
Posted by: The Singing Fisherman, July 1, 2015, 1:33am; Reply: 43
He knows were the net is  :) Looks decent in this clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv5xsKe0OGI
Posted by: IrishMariner, July 1, 2015, 1:40am; Reply: 44
Pádraig is from my hometown in Ireland,just messaged his brother to try and find out if he is moving  ;D
Posted by: BIGChris, July 1, 2015, 6:38am; Reply: 45
'L' the new sssssss?
Posted by: chaos33, July 1, 2015, 7:06am; Reply: 46
Quoted from Laddy89
Iffy Onuora due to sign tomorrow,  big target man we have been wanting.

You heard it here first

Hahahahahahahahahaha
Posted by: Maringer, July 1, 2015, 7:10am; Reply: 47
Quoted from Meza
If Amond or Bird sign still think we need that a big strong striker not sure Monkhouse is the answer for that role seeing that he hasn't played striker consistently mainly left midfield.  Also im all for covering positions and versatility but i hope PH plays players in their strongest position.

Bird is a big, strong striker. He led the line pretty well against us for Cambridge the other season.

If this Amond lad is coming (have to admit I've never heard of him), it may be that Hurst sees Bogle as the 'big' striker in the team. Akinde (and LJL to a degree) showed last season that playing this role doesn't necessarily have to impact your goalscoring record too badly, especially if we do try out 4-3-3 or even 3-5-2 on occasion.
Posted by: chaos33, July 1, 2015, 7:11am; Reply: 48
Why is he dropping down to conference from L2? I know we're a big club who look upwardly mobile, but you'd expect him to have plenty of offers from L2 clubs.
Posted by: Les Brechin, July 1, 2015, 7:18am; Reply: 49
Quoted from chaos33
Why is he dropping down to conference from L2? I know we're a big club who look upwardly mobile, but you'd expect him to have plenty of offers from L2 clubs.

You could have said the same about Richard Tait though!
Posted by: chaos33, July 1, 2015, 7:36am; Reply: 50
Quoted from Les Brechin

You could have said the same about Richard Tait though!

I guess, but I would have thought that Armond would be in great demand. If true, looks a great signing.
Posted by: Mariner_09, July 1, 2015, 7:51am; Reply: 51
Are we assuming that if Armond does sign we'll have a completed squad.

Arnold and Armond that could get confusing.
Posted by: Maringer, July 1, 2015, 8:02am; Reply: 52
Especially if we sign Amond as rumoured.
Posted by: jonnyboy82, July 1, 2015, 8:13am; Reply: 53
Never seen him play do not sure what type of striker he is ..

Small and quick ?

Anyway if we sign him could be a decent signing but we definitely need another striker as well , we need 4 strikers who are decent in case of injuries and adds competition.

I hope we get them because you are ready to go then and we won't have to panic loan unless we are very unlucky with injuries.
Posted by: Rick12, July 1, 2015, 8:23am; Reply: 54
Quoted from jonnyboy82
Never seen him play do not sure what type of striker he is ..

Small and quick ?

Anyway if we sign him could be a decent signing but we definitely need another striker as well , we need 4 strikers who are decent in case of injuries and adds competition.

I hope we get them because you are ready to go then and we won't have to panic loan unless we are very unlucky with injuries.
Talking about small and quick strikers it surprises me when I see how some former players who have shown promise have tailed of . Remember one that caught my eye Joe kuffour is now playing for Sutton Utd in the conference South. Showed glimpses of ability whilst at other league clubs and I remember seeing him play once and thought he was quality eg a poor mans Jemaine Defoe.
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, July 1, 2015, 8:41am; Reply: 55
We do need a BMUF, there are days when you need to bully your opponents. Even the purist Lord Buckley knew this which is why he played Livvo and Alexander when he had to.
Not sure we have such a player yet.
Posted by: livosnose, July 1, 2015, 8:58am; Reply: 56
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
We do need a BMUF, there are days when you need to bully your opponents. Even the purist Lord Buckley knew this which is why he played Livvo and Alexander when he had to.
Not sure we have such a player yet.

agreed
Posted by: ginnywings, July 1, 2015, 9:31am; Reply: 57
With Pittman, we only have 1.5 strikers on the books because history shows he will only play half the season, so we definitely need 2 more in my opinion. All this "he can do a job up front" malarkey is setting yourself up to fail.

If Amond is the new guy, we need a battering ram, preferably one who can hit the net too and Bird would be the required standard.
Posted by: BIGChris, July 1, 2015, 9:35am; Reply: 58
Wild stab in the dark but think Tom Elliot would be a better 'target' man type striker than Ryan Bird.

I certainly agree with Ginny and a few others that relying on players to "do a job" as a striker when it is not their primary role should not be something we are considering at this stage of the season. I dont actually think PH is planning to do so either
Posted by: Mariner_09, July 1, 2015, 9:36am; Reply: 59
I think Bird would complete the wish list. We'd have every type of striker then.
Posted by: Freemoash88, July 1, 2015, 9:36am; Reply: 60
Quoted from BIGChris
Wild stab in the dark but think Tom Elliot would be a better 'target' man type striker than Ryan Bird.

I certainly agree with Ginny and a few others that relying on players to "do a job" as a striker when it is not their primary role should not be something we are considering at this stage of the season. I dont actually think PH is planning to do so either

And you tried to find fault with me comparing players...
Posted by: BIGChris, July 1, 2015, 9:41am; Reply: 61
Quoted from Freemoash88

And you tried to find fault with me comparing players...

You were comparing Marshall a winger, with a striker, in Palmer.

I am  stating that Elliot is far more of a target man striker than Ryan Bird, also a striker.

Posted by: ginnywings, July 1, 2015, 9:51am; Reply: 62
Quoted from BIGChris

Good shout on Elliot and i agree he is probably more of a target man than Bird from the little i have seen but we know Hurst has talked to Bird, so he must be seen as the target man at this stage.

From that clip, Amond looks to have all the attributes and it was good to see him scoring equally with either foot and a good few headers too.

Is it such a come down from Accrington or Morecambe to Grimsby? I know they are league but.........................
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, July 1, 2015, 10:01am; Reply: 63
So what's the current position?
Armond?
Bird?
Has Palmer signed for Tranny?
Has Taylor Fletchers missus pulled rank?
Has Hesky retired? CHDAJATL?

Who is the midfield illegitimate we need?

I'm too hot.
Posted by: Maringer, July 1, 2015, 10:12am; Reply: 64
He knows were the net is  :) Looks decent in this clip https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv5xsKe0OGI

I like his goal celebrations. Runs about ten yards then slows to a walk to conserve energy. Very sensible!  ;)

Looks like a good penalty taker as well (assuming there isn't another Youtube clip showing lots of misses!).
Posted by: ClarkyGTFC, July 1, 2015, 10:22am; Reply: 65
I heard we are signing Jason lee
Posted by: Freemoash88, July 1, 2015, 10:23am; Reply: 66
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner
So what's the current position?
Armond?
Bird?
Has Palmer signed for Tranny?
Has Taylor Fletchers missus pulled rank?
Has Hesky retired? CHDAJATL?

Who is the midfield illegitimate we need?

I'm too hot.

You missed Robie Fowler.
Posted by: Meza, July 1, 2015, 10:25am; Reply: 67
Good signing for Wrexham, Moults replacement is James Gray.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, July 1, 2015, 10:30am; Reply: 68
Quoted from Meza

Ni fydd Wrecsam yn gwneud unrhyw beth y tymor hwn.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, July 1, 2015, 10:31am; Reply: 69
Quoted from Meza

really ?

scored 8 in 68 games.

Wouldn't be impressed if we replaced our top scorer with that record
Posted by: Freemoash88, July 1, 2015, 10:33am; Reply: 70
I still think Wrexham will be challenging us for the title this year.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, July 1, 2015, 10:35am; Reply: 71
Quoted from Freemoash88
I still think Wrexham will be challenging us for the title this year.

Nid wyf yn credu y bydd Wrecsam yn herio ni am y teitl hwn Flwyddyn.
Posted by: Freemoash88, July 1, 2015, 10:47am; Reply: 72
Yr wyf yn meddwl y byddant ond Mills yn ceiliog.
Posted by: Sigone, July 1, 2015, 10:54am; Reply: 73
Kevin Davies just been released by pne..not too happy about it either apparently.
Posted by: DocTower, July 1, 2015, 10:59am; Reply: 74
Quoted from Sigone
Kevin Davies just been released by pne..not too happy about it either apparently.

At the age of 38 he shouldn't have been surprised  .
Posted by: RichMariner, July 1, 2015, 11:02am; Reply: 75
The way you'd sell our club to a striker currently unsure about dropping into the Conference from the FL...

We've been in the play-offs three seasons running, gone to Wembley twice.

We win far more often than we lose, so you'll play in a winning team.

You'll get more chances to score playing in our team than in a struggling or average League 2 side.

By the end of the season you could have 20+ goals. Most Conference strikers with that record get back into the FL.

Also, we have quite a big crowd for this division, and fans who are funding the transfer kitty this season. So, do you want to play for Morecambe, Accrington, Mansfield etc, or do you want to come and play for Grimsby Town?

Edit - we might not be able to pay FL wages, but we can't be that far behind. All things being (roughly) equal I'd join the Mariners!
Posted by: grimps, July 1, 2015, 11:14am; Reply: 76
I'd just show them a few videos of our fans at away games and ask them if they'd wanna play for a big club
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, July 1, 2015, 11:18am; Reply: 77
I'm sure Kevin Davies will still get a deal higher than the Conference. Back to Chesterfield maybe?
Posted by: BIGChris, July 1, 2015, 11:23am; Reply: 78
Quoted from DocTower

I think his surprise is that it came some 5 weeks after their last game to tell him!
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, July 1, 2015, 11:36am; Reply: 79
Quoted from Freemoash88
Yr wyf yn meddwl y byddant ond Mills yn ceiliog.

That will be £1 in the swear box.  ;D ;D ;D
Posted by: IrishMariner, July 1, 2015, 11:45am; Reply: 80
Direct quote from an Amond article written by himself during the week

"I am still yet to sort my club out for next season but I'm hopeful that it will be all sorted by the end of this week. I have spoken to a number of clubs and things haven't happened for one reason or another which is frustrating and disappointing for me as some of them were very exciting opportunities. I'm not going to rush my decision though as it is an important one for me so we will just have to wait and see what happens."
Posted by: LH, July 1, 2015, 12:07pm; Reply: 81
Town have tweeted a few pics of training. Amond appears to have been pictured chatting with Arnold. Possibly about a perm or something though.
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), July 1, 2015, 12:34pm; Reply: 82
Quoted from LH
Town have tweeted a few pics of training. Amond appears to have been pictured chatting with Arnold. Possibly about a perm or something though.

I agree, the number 10 in the pic on Twitter does look like Pardraig Armond
Posted by: Maringer, July 1, 2015, 12:34pm; Reply: 83
Is that definitely him? No. 10 shirt (well, shorts) might indicate he is expected to be a first choice if this is to be his squad number. And he signs, naturally.
Posted by: LH, July 1, 2015, 12:37pm; Reply: 84
Certainly looks like him to me and a few others seem to think so.
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), July 1, 2015, 12:40pm; Reply: 85
Looks just like him. Cannot think of any other player on our books who would have been given the number 10 training kit that is white...
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), July 1, 2015, 12:44pm; Reply: 86
Padraig Armond goal stats look impressive too. Especially when you consider how many of his appearances were as substitute.

Morecombe (Aug 13 - now):- 19 goals in 50 appearances but 32 of those appearances was as a substitute.

Accrington (31 May 12 - 1 Aug 13):- 9 goals in 24 appearances but 12 of those appearances was as a substitute.

Certainly knows where the net is then...
Posted by: LH, July 1, 2015, 12:47pm; Reply: 87
Someone from Morecambe has tweeted saying it looks like him too. Is he trialling maybe?
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, July 1, 2015, 12:51pm; Reply: 88
Now confirmed signing, Amond
Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, July 1, 2015, 12:52pm; Reply: 89
Now confirmed
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), July 1, 2015, 12:52pm; Reply: 90
Confirmed where?
Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, July 1, 2015, 12:52pm; Reply: 91
Beat me to it jarmo
Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, July 1, 2015, 12:52pm; Reply: 92
Beat me to it jarmo
Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, July 1, 2015, 12:53pm; Reply: 93
Twitter ascend
Posted by: Meza, July 1, 2015, 12:53pm; Reply: 94
[url]http://www.grimsby-townfc.co.uk/news/article/padraig-becomes-number-six-2516258.aspx[/url]
Posted by: LH, July 1, 2015, 12:53pm; Reply: 95
What's the betting Town have either: forgotten to announce the signing this morning or completely messed up putting the pics on twitter before realising their error?

Welcome aboard Paddy Power/Nuts/Marc!

We might have a front two of Monky Nuts this season.
Posted by: Codswede, July 1, 2015, 12:53pm; Reply: 96
Excellent signing, very very impressed with this!

This is our year!
Posted by: ginnywings, July 1, 2015, 12:54pm; Reply: 97
Brilliant.

He looks like he can score goals with left or right foot and a fair few headers too from the youtube clip. Well chuffed with this signing.
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, July 1, 2015, 12:54pm; Reply: 98
Quoted from zorro_is_a_Mariner
Beat me to it jarmo

just clicked on twitter to have a look at the pic everyone was talking about, and they uploaded the signing news 14 seconds before ! haha
Posted by: 120790 (Guest), July 1, 2015, 12:59pm; Reply: 99
Is there a video of him playing at all......
Posted by: WetFlannel, July 1, 2015, 1:00pm; Reply: 100
I think Amond and Bogle up front together have the potential to be a top strike force for this league. First day of training and the first 11 already seem to be sorted. I HATE to say this but I'm extremely optimistic for the season!
Posted by: zorro_is_a_Mariner, July 1, 2015, 1:02pm; Reply: 101
Right time to buy my season ticket now I've got some time of work haha  8)
Posted by: UTMariners, July 1, 2015, 1:04pm; Reply: 102
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qv5xsKe0OGI

:) :X
Posted by: TownSNAFU5, July 1, 2015, 1:05pm; Reply: 103
28 goals in 30 starts.  If you ignore the fact that he never scored when coming on as a sub.

Or, if  you assume he never scored when starting a match, he scored 28 goals in 44 appearances as a sub.   :P

He has a proven record for scoring goals, which really helps.  
Posted by: mariner91, July 1, 2015, 1:06pm; Reply: 104
Always played above this level and got a fairly good record. Also has never played in teams higher than mid-table so if he's playing in a lower league in a team creating a lot of chances then he might score loads. Fingers crossed, I'm hopeful.
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, July 1, 2015, 1:06pm; Reply: 105
Maybe still looking for a more physical centre forward and then are we pretty much done?
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, July 1, 2015, 1:08pm; Reply: 106
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Maybe still looking for a more physical centre forward and then are we pretty much done?

Kevin Davies
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, July 1, 2015, 1:10pm; Reply: 107
Wouldn't be surprised if Devitt was talking to Amond about this move and had good things to say aswell, fair play if he did
Posted by: Rodley Mariner, July 1, 2015, 1:12pm; Reply: 108
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Kevin Davies

Would be amazed if he dropped down here. Assume you're just chucking that name in because he's been released this morning?
Posted by: arryarryarry, July 1, 2015, 1:13pm; Reply: 109
Some good comments on the Morecambe board,

Some signing if you get him surprised he left us to be honest. Bags of pace, strong and holds the ball up well and will guarantee you 20 a season, see you in league 2 next season if you secure his services

If he signs for Grimsby I can see him getting a good number of goals if played in his best position.
Really should still have been a Shrimp in my book. Our loss...somebodies gain...
Posted by: Maringer, July 1, 2015, 1:13pm; Reply: 110
I think Bogle is probably going to be the physical centre forward much of the time? He's a big bloke by all accounts and Darren Byfield, a very experienced striker, has lots of good things to say about him:

http://www.tamworthherald.co.uk/Tamworth-face-best-striker-non-league-says-coach/story-25763551-detail/story.html

Quoted Text
He's only 21 but he's got everything – he can dribble, hold the ball up, scores headers, scores with his right foot, scores with his left foot. He's got it all.

Sounds encouraging?
Posted by: UTMariners, July 1, 2015, 1:14pm; Reply: 111
Promising comments from Morcambe fans...

http://giraffe.arvixe.com/~iomkeith/shrimpsvoices/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20130
Posted by: fazer11, July 1, 2015, 1:14pm; Reply: 112
Absolutely delighted with this signing!!! I saw him score 2 past fleetwood last year in a cup game. He has a nice bit of  pace on him and can hold up the ball. Surprised he didn't get a football league club.
Posted by: mariner91, July 1, 2015, 1:15pm; Reply: 113
Just watched that video of him on YouTube. He's quick, two footed, strong for his size, good in the air. I know it was a highlights real but he looked the business. Bogle and Amond could be lethal in this division.
Posted by: mariner91, July 1, 2015, 1:16pm; Reply: 114
Quoted from Maringer
I think Bogle is probably going to be the physical centre forward much of the time? He's a big bloke by all accounts and Darren Byfield, a very experienced striker, has lots of good things to say about him:

http://www.tamworthherald.co.uk/Tamworth-face-best-striker-non-league-says-coach/story-25763551-detail/story.html

Sounds encouraging?

We could potentially have the most the exciting forward line we've had in years, possibly since the Reddy and Lump days. I'm very excited.
Posted by: forza ivano, July 1, 2015, 1:25pm; Reply: 115
Quoted from Meza

Very experienced from the look of his cover photo
http://www.jamesgray.org/

although maybe a bit immobile? has been doing a fine job in north wiltshire so bit of a surprise to move to a rough labour heartland like wrexham :-/
Posted by: bluebottle, July 1, 2015, 1:43pm; Reply: 116
Quoted from forza ivano

Very experienced from the look of his cover photo
http://www.jamesgray.org/

although maybe a bit immobile? has been doing a fine job in north wiltshire so bit of a surprise to move to a rough labour heartland like wrexham :-/

Thanks, that gave me a laugh out loud moment.  ;D ;D
Posted by: Theimperialcoroner, July 1, 2015, 4:27pm; Reply: 117
Quoted from DocTower

I'd have him for a year. Just what we need.
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 1, 2015, 6:42pm; Reply: 118
We have been asking for a 20+ goals a season striker,

Now we have two. 8)
Posted by: BIGChris, July 2, 2015, 7:22am; Reply: 119
Hurst saying still looking for another striker and 'has someone in mind'. Is a more physical presence but NOT Elliot or Bird
Posted by: StickfordMariner, July 2, 2015, 8:28am; Reply: 120
Mr Palmer maybe ???
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, July 2, 2015, 8:57am; Reply: 121
Palmer showed last season he is not a target man.

Shame but LJL would of been perfect...

Lets just hope we not after a Damien Spencer type player !
Posted by: Meza, July 2, 2015, 9:05am; Reply: 122
Former chesterfield man Kevin Davies lol
Posted by: SamTheMariner, July 2, 2015, 9:26am; Reply: 123
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Palmer showed last season he is not a target man.

Shame but LJL would of been perfect...

Lets just hope we not after a Damien Spencer type player !

You're spot on LJL would be the perfect target man.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, July 2, 2015, 10:14am; Reply: 124
Quoted from SamTheMariner

You're spot on LJL would be the perfect target man.

PH will have to SHOP around for another!  ;D ;D ;D ;D
Posted by: gtfc98, July 2, 2015, 10:23am; Reply: 125
Won't be Palmer. DIdn't he say Bogle would go to the FL just before he signed?
Posted by: Youngy, July 2, 2015, 11:25am; Reply: 126
I'm purely speculating but somebody who fits the criteria and who is free is Calvin Zola.

I would argue Palmer whilst tall is not physical.
Posted by: Stew0_0, July 2, 2015, 12:29pm; Reply: 127
Would be very happy with Zola. Experienced and definitely a target man. Always played in the football league too so would be great at this level
Posted by: Garth, July 2, 2015, 12:34pm; Reply: 128
Quoted from Stew0_0
Would be very happy with Zola. Experienced and definitely a target man. Always played in the football league too so would be great at this level

Easy to put a song to his name with the Kinks hit
Posted by: OllieGTFC, July 2, 2015, 12:40pm; Reply: 129
I have a sneaky feeling it's Calvin Zola coming in
Posted by: Garth, July 2, 2015, 12:48pm; Reply: 130
What's Liam hatch up to nowadays, one that Hurst chased in the past ala Bogle
Posted by: bigdavemariner, July 2, 2015, 12:49pm; Reply: 131
Was it Hatch that got told by his Mrs he couldn't move? :) Maybe he's too busy carrying her handbag these days :)
Posted by: brad_gtfc, July 2, 2015, 12:50pm; Reply: 132
Signed for Dalington.
Posted by: BIGChris, July 2, 2015, 12:51pm; Reply: 133
Quoted from Stew0_0

Nothing against Zola but just because they have played in the FL it doesnt always follow that they are great in the Conference.

I think it takes a certain character to be able to handle a Tuesday night at Altrincham or Braintree in front of 5-600 fans when all you have known is FL ( i appreciate the likes of Accrington dont always  get  much bigger gates).
Posted by: jonnyboy82, July 2, 2015, 12:53pm; Reply: 134
Calvin Zola is to good for our level.

If we signed him we would in no doubt won the league imo.

Can't see him coming though.
Posted by: Abdul19, July 2, 2015, 12:55pm; Reply: 135
Quoted from Garth
What's Liam hatch up to nowadays, one that Hurst chased in the past ala Bogle

He's 33 and been playing in division 8!
Posted by: louth_in_the_south, July 2, 2015, 1:19pm; Reply: 136
Calvin Zola would be a good shout . I thought he was way older than 30 . Seems like he's been around for years . Was it him that scored a quality goal for Oldham at BP on Boxing Day ?
Posted by: RichMariner, July 2, 2015, 1:41pm; Reply: 137
Yes - that was a cracking match, 3-3 if I remember correctly.

Actually, Oldham were superb that day. They could've had six or seven, think they hit the woodwork a fair few times. Zola and Jermaine Johnson kept tearing our defence apart. In fact they got Tony Crane sent off after only 20 minutes!

We were lucky to get a point - mainly because Jevons scored two crackers. All three of their goals were high quality too.

Posted by: Abdul19, July 2, 2015, 2:51pm; Reply: 138
The late Ernie Cooksey scored a cracker
Posted by: diehardmariner, July 2, 2015, 2:52pm; Reply: 139
Quoted from RichMariner
Yes - that was a cracking match, 3-3 if I remember correctly.

Actually, Oldham were superb that day. They could've had six or seven, think they hit the woodwork a fair few times. Zola and Jermaine Johnson kept tearing our defence apart. In fact they got Tony Crane sent off after only 20 minutes!

We were lucky to get a point - mainly because Jevons scored two crackers. All three of their goals were high quality too.

The late Earnie Cookesy was immense that day too.  I think he hit the post twice.  

Posted by: livosnose, July 2, 2015, 3:09pm; Reply: 140
Quoted from louth_in_the_south
Calvin Zola would be a good shout . I thought he was way older than 30 . Seems like he's been around for years . Was it him that scored a quality goal for Oldham at BP on Boxing Day ?

I'm sure he scored when we got tonked at their pace when it was free and our layers gave up :o
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, July 2, 2015, 3:23pm; Reply: 141
Jon Stead is a free agent after his release from Bradford. would be a good signing
Posted by: livosnose, July 2, 2015, 4:09pm; Reply: 142
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God
Jon Stead is a free agent after his release from Bradford. would be a good signing

Bradford fans are going nuts they haven't signed him ........
Posted by: Jarmo.Is.God, July 2, 2015, 4:18pm; Reply: 143
The reliable twitter rumours are stating Notts county, possibly Barnsley
Posted by: LH, July 2, 2015, 4:19pm; Reply: 144
It wont be us put it that way.
Posted by: friskneymariner, July 2, 2015, 4:29pm; Reply: 145
Quoted from Garth

Easy to put a song to his name with the Kinks hit

He walks like a woman and looks like a man???
Posted by: friskneymariner, July 2, 2015, 4:32pm; Reply: 146
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Now we should have signed him when we had Michael Reddy and got Junior Ago Ago as well.Imagine the possibilities for commentators then.
Posted by: WOZOFGRIMSBY, July 2, 2015, 4:44pm; Reply: 147
And Danish international phop pickers
Posted by: Garth, July 2, 2015, 4:50pm; Reply: 148
Quoted from friskneymariner

He walks like a woman and looks like a man???

;D
Posted by: Garth, July 2, 2015, 4:53pm; Reply: 149
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

Sooner have Emma Peel
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), July 5, 2015, 6:52pm; Reply: 150
Anyone heard anything on who the 'physical striker' is?

I have seen someone on twitter say that Bird is to make a decision early next week and it looks like Palmer is heading to Leyton Orient. Has anyone heard anything else?
Posted by: grimsby pete, July 5, 2015, 6:57pm; Reply: 151
Quoted from 1739

I have seen someone on twitter say that Bird is to make a decision early next week and it looks like Palmer is heading to Leyton Orient. Has anyone heard anything else?

I don't think we want one, Bogle and Amond will score loads.
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), July 5, 2015, 7:02pm; Reply: 152
Quoted from grimsby pete

We need a more physical option up there in my opinion and Hurst thinks so as well. We haven't go a natural target man which a lot of successful teams have at this level.
Posted by: promotion plaice, July 5, 2015, 7:19pm; Reply: 153
Quoted from 1739

We need a more physical option up there in my opinion and Hurst thinks so as well. We haven't go a natural target man which a lot of successful teams have at this level.

John Akinde scored a hat trick for Barnet yesterday in a friendly against Hungerford, the first of his goals was when he was brought down in the box for a penalty, what a surprise.
Posted by: Ipswin, July 5, 2015, 8:02pm; Reply: 154
Quoted from grimsby pete

I certainly think those two plus (the odd goal from JPP) will do the business

I really don't want to see long balls hoofed up to a big striker in the hope that he can a) win the ball in the air b) hold it up and c) lay it off to one of the class ball-on-the-deck strikers

Posted by: 1739 (Guest), July 5, 2015, 8:10pm; Reply: 155
Quoted from Ipswin

I really don't want to see long balls hoofed up to a big striker in the hope that he can a) win the ball in the air b) hold it up and c) lay it off to one of the class ball-on-the-deck strikers

Even if it brings us promotion and is successful ?
Posted by: Stew0_0, July 5, 2015, 8:15pm; Reply: 156
Would like to think its either Calvin Zola, Ollie Palmer or Ryan Bird, though knowing Hurst he will surprise us all and pull a name out of the hat that no one has mentioned so far.
Posted by: Youngy, July 5, 2015, 9:50pm; Reply: 157
I seem to remember we were linked with Rene Howe a few seasons back, he's a free agent and would also fit the target man bill.
Posted by: friskneymariner, July 5, 2015, 10:07pm; Reply: 158
Quoted from Youngy
I seem to remember we were linked with Rene Howe a few seasons back, he's a free agent and would also fit the target man bill.

Thought he had retired due to his partner's illness,I have always rated him.
Posted by: TheRonRaffertyFanClub, July 5, 2015, 10:27pm; Reply: 159
Quoted from Ipswin

I'm a big fan of on the deck football as well but - does it always get results in this league? Playing through teams needs a quality midfield as well as quality strikers. Midfield players in the Conference don't always get the time to play. So alternatives are needed.

The main factor though is that Hurst bases his sides on defence first and foremost. We don't play the ball out all the time, very often the ball is hoofed up and the midfield has to look for the second ball to start playing. In my opinion that's why Hurst likes players like Brown, Clay and Disley. They are not really playmakers but they are active battlers to win the second ball and push it wide or through to strikers. That's his system, it's not my cup of tea but to be fair it is a good one for this league. Last year it only needed a few more goals and it would have got us promoted. So Hurst will replace like for like, another LJL will be signed and my guess is he will be the first name on the team sheet for the majority of games.

Posted by: Ipswin, July 5, 2015, 10:32pm; Reply: 160
Quoted from 1739

Even if it brings us promotion and is successful ?

Like it did last season you mean?
Posted by: 1739 (Guest), July 5, 2015, 10:49pm; Reply: 161
Quoted from Ipswin

Like it did last season you mean?

Other than York and Newport. Can you name me a team who has not been promoted without a target man or big physical striker in there side? We need on in my opinion unless we want to scrap all of the work from the last few years and have a  overhaul of players to suit a different style.
Posted by: Youngy, July 6, 2015, 1:55am; Reply: 162
York had Micheal Rankine and Newport had O'Connor who is a physical striker.
Posted by: lukeo, July 6, 2015, 7:19am; Reply: 163
We have to look realistically. I can't see us bringing in a top striker when we have 2 (3 if P stays fit) I think the next addition will be a big lump of a striker who's not very well known. But like people mention above the guys we have already are more than capable of banging in plenty of goals so i wont be to disheartened whoever it is we bring in.
Posted by: Abdul19, July 6, 2015, 9:38am; Reply: 164
Rankine left York before they went up (probably not a coincidence)
Posted by: Youngy, July 6, 2015, 10:08am; Reply: 165
Even the king of passing football AB always had the likes of Keith Alexander and Steve Livingston in his locker in case we needed to mix it up.
Posted by: Grantham_Mariner, July 6, 2015, 10:18am; Reply: 166
Lyle Taylor turned down Partick. You don't think he would come here? Would we want him?
Posted by: immariner, July 6, 2015, 12:27pm; Reply: 167
Seen someone mention a young Sheff Wed striker on a season-long loan. Don't know who, probably balderdash.
Posted by: KingstonMariner, July 6, 2015, 3:24pm; Reply: 168
Quoted from 1739

So much better than the theoretical strikers.  ;)
Posted by: ClarkyGTFC, July 6, 2015, 3:24pm; Reply: 169
Darius Henderson has left Leyton orient to pursue other opportunities could be a target man
Posted by: rancido, July 6, 2015, 5:23pm; Reply: 170
Quoted from Ipswin

There are games when the opposition pack their mid-field and this is when the long ball can be effective.
Posted by: Madeleymariner, July 6, 2015, 5:24pm; Reply: 171
Balderdash, interesting name for a player :)
Posted by: Rik e B, July 7, 2015, 10:08am; Reply: 172
People seem to forget we're in the Conference and playing like Barcelona all the time with the players at our disposal is simply not possible. Anyway I think we play some good stuff at times but the option to go direct is a useful and very effective one.
Print page generated: May 19, 2024, 5:01am