chaos33
April 28, 2024, 6:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +18,016
Gold Stars: 362
Quoted from RonMariner
JS and AP have taken full responsibility for last season and have publicly apologised.

Yes but that’s a matter of publicly recorded fact.
Grim Pol says JS is ‘absolving himself from this mess’.
He is usually right, so the facts must be wrong 🫤🤷‍♂️

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 94
rancido
April 28, 2024, 7:58pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,667
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from chaos33

Yes but that’s a matter of publicly recorded fact.
Grim Pol says JS is ‘absolving himself from this mess’.
He is usually right, so the facts must be wrong 🫤🤷‍♂️

I could be wrong but I get the impression that GrimPol doesn't like JS, doesn't like him having an article in The Guardian, doesn't like The Guardian or all three. Maybe nothing but just the impression that I get.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 94
GrimPol
April 29, 2024, 10:20am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -787
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from rancido

I could be wrong but I get the impression that GrimPol doesn't like JS, doesn't like him having an article in The Guardian, doesn't like The Guardian or all three. Maybe nothing but just the impression that I get.

You're right, I don't like JS 's politics and the Sinister DIE he's into. I don't mind him prattling away in the Guardian, it's his life, but I don't like the Guardian.  Two out of three, not bad not a bad effort.
I missed the beating of his breast and chanting Mea Culpa by JS, so fair comment I wrote before finding out the facts, so Left Wing of me. Mea Culpa.
JS saying sorry, and I, doesn't absolve us from the fact that I wrote a badly researched piece, but he nearly sent the club into oblivion. And when we fans started to question what was going on early on in the season, not only were we fobbed off but told the Data showed we played ever so well. Does Pork Pie'ng cover this? I am worried that he's mishandled/mishandling the playing side and season 24/25 will
If you split the footballing side from the rest (ie stadium ) they're doing a fair job and you won't find a historic post with me moaning about it.
Will I be buying tickets, of course as you well know Fans are forever, Players/Managers/Owners are transient.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 94
AncientExiledMariner
April 29, 2024, 2:52pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.39
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +520
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from jamesgtfc
To bring the discussion away from which suburb of Manchester is 2 hours and 34 minutes away from Blundell Park, I thought the core content of the article was interesting. He has nailed his colours to the mast now though. At some point in the future we will either get a transfer window wrong or fail to get the best out of the data-led signings. In a situation where we perform badly despite signing from the data, it will be interesting to see if the blame is levelled at the coach, the data, or those analysing the data.

If the standard of the January recruitment can be replicated over the summer then we are in a good place. I'd like a couple of young players with potential through the door also because we do need to be generating income from our transfer business if we are to progress.

Does blame need to be levelled? Most good organisations will try to make failure blameless so you can have honest conversations, identify the problems and fix them. And last transfer failed because we ignored the data, so it wouldn't be fair if we amplify the failures with data, and ignore the failures of the gut feel approach. It feels like there is a risk of conformational bias here where we only focus on failure to make a point we wanted to as it validates how we already felt.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 94
rancido
April 29, 2024, 2:57pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,667
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from GrimPol

You're right, I don't like JS 's politics and the Sinister DIE he's into. I don't mind him prattling away in the Guardian, it's his life, but I don't like the Guardian.  Two out of three, not bad not a bad effort.
I missed the beating of his breast and chanting Mea Culpa by JS, so fair comment I wrote before finding out the facts, so Left Wing of me. Mea Culpa.
JS saying sorry, and I, doesn't absolve us from the fact that I wrote a badly researched piece, but he nearly sent the club into oblivion. And when we fans started to question what was going on early on in the season, not only were we fobbed off but told the Data showed we played ever so well. Does Pork Pie'ng cover this? I am worried that he's mishandled/mishandling the playing side and season 24/25 will
If you split the footballing side from the rest (ie stadium ) they're doing a fair job and you won't find a historic post with me moaning about it.
Will I be buying tickets, of course as you well know Fans are forever, Players/Managers/Owners are transient.

Very magnanimous of you to admit you're errors as well as JS. At least you are open enough to admit you don't like JS , They Guardian and that you allow politics to affect your judgement of the running of a non- political industry ie football ( well at least as GTFC is concerned -  views where Rangers or Celtic are concerned is a different kettle of fish ). I think using the expression " oblivion" is a tad dramatic as many clubs of a similar standing to us have gone non- league only to return and many quite quickly. In fact we have twice and bounced back.
I don't think it's a case of " telling porky pies" about the data early in the season but you can put your own slant on it as you are, by your own admission, sceptical about a data lead pathway. You seem to overlook the fact that we had a hybrid version with recruitment mostly done by a more traditional approach and performances being judged by the data of individuals and as a collective. Yes, you could be right that by allowing PH to have more control over recruitment then JS did " mishandle" the situation and admitted as such. I'm sure during your working career you have mishandled situations , made wrong decisions and thought afterwards that you could have done things differently.As JS pointed out, we have a single, integrated approach now and I think any judgement should be reserved until we see the full implementation of this.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 94
Theimperialcoroner
April 29, 2024, 4:32pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,303
Gold Stars: 103
Quoted from rancido

How many times a day do you think he says “woke”?

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 94
grimps
April 29, 2024, 5:01pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,178
Gold Stars: 46
I’m happy for him to write what he likes where he likes as long as the team gets backed and he delivers on promises.

I expected more this season and I expect more next , let’s see what he does about it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 94
moosey_club
April 29, 2024, 6:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.70
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,334
Gold Stars: 229
Without knowing what the data is they are focusing on we really can't comment.....if data was used in the January window did it bring improved players to the club ?

Smith..........on the fence
Thompson .......yes
Hume .......on the fence
Tharme....yes
Obikwu.....no

So not a terrible strike rate overall.....

Just hope data includes things like background checks for upcoming court cases, drink driving and some background checks regards professionalism.  

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 94
GibMariner
April 30, 2024, 8:02am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -964
Gold Stars: 21
Clubs go up and down the leagues generally, that I don’t have a problem with. Simple!! fortunes on the field come and go irrespective of intent to do the best. That I do t have a problem with.

What I have a problem with is wrecking the business case. Are we in a dash for cash. If you think ‘yes’ ask yourself why.

Bit like “one out” “one in “ was that a sign.

JS warns the figures are not good. What’s happened to his notion of “sustainability”

Hope I am very wrong. But!!!
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 94
WesternMariner
April 30, 2024, 8:21am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +948
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from GibMariner
Clubs go up and down the leagues generally, that I don’t have a problem with. Simple!! fortunes on the field come and go irrespective of intent to do the best. That I do t have a problem with.

What I have a problem with is wrecking the business case. Are we in a dash for cash. If you think ‘yes’ ask yourself why.

Bit like “one out” “one in “ was that a sign.

JS warns the figures are not good. What’s happened to his notion of “sustainability”

Hope I am very wrong. But!!!

“Que?”

All men are equal before fish.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 94
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Jason’s latest Guardian article

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.