10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
BrMarin
April 26, 2024, 5:58pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +17 / -2
Approval: +95
Gold Stars: 8
How many players do we need to sign before we cannot blame poor performance next season on Hurst signings?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 94
RichMariner
April 26, 2024, 9:08pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,161
Gold Stars: 211
I work with data in my role at work so I absolutely know the advantages it can bring.

Football has a million variables, though. It’s not an exact science, so you can’t apply science exactly in return.

I’m not against us using it, as Jason says, to inform our decisions. Data may isolate a player who makes 100+ passes per game, but is he playing in a role or team that facilitates that? How can you guarantee that he’ll make 100+ passes for us in a midfield that struggles or doesn’t play a system in which he’s actively passed to?

Today’s CA diary alluded to these variables. I guess it’s easy to be cynical or perhaps just cautious about data, and that’s no bad thing. I wouldn’t say I’m against it.

But signing a player based 100% on data, only for him to be troublesome, or unable to communicate or understand Artell’s instruction, is possible.

I think we just need to get the balance right. Data may highlight undervalued players and then it’s about our ‘eye’ foe that player, and whether he’s a good fit in terms of squad ethos, work rate, etc.

Use data, but don’t depend on it. Like I say, football isn’t an exact science, so don’t depend or rely on an exact science (data) entirely for success.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 31 - 94
exiledmeggie
April 26, 2024, 9:29pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +1 / -6
Approval: -209
Gold Stars: 19
At the end of the day, the only data we need is the league table and that doesn’t lie!

Living in Exile since 1980, but still have Black and White blood!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 94
louth_in_the_south
April 26, 2024, 9:52pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,703
Gold Stars: 96
Maybe if potential signings can animate how their minds work it may demonstrate whether they contain enough variables to be a successful member of the gtfc squad.

Lower F5
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 94
lew chaterleys lover
April 26, 2024, 10:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,747
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from RichMariner
I work with data in my role at work so I absolutely know the advantages it can bring.

Football has a million variables, though. It’s not an exact science, so you can’t apply science exactly in return.

I’m not against us using it, as Jason says, to inform our decisions. Data may isolate a player who makes 100+ passes per game, but is he playing in a role or team that facilitates that? How can you guarantee that he’ll make 100+ passes for us in a midfield that struggles or doesn’t play a system in which he’s actively passed to?

Today’s CA diary alluded to these variables. I guess it’s easy to be cynical or perhaps just cautious about data, and that’s no bad thing. I wouldn’t say I’m against it.

But signing a player based 100% on data, only for him to be troublesome, or unable to communicate or understand Artell’s instruction, is possible.

I think we just need to get the balance right. Data may highlight undervalued players and then it’s about our ‘eye’ foe that player, and whether he’s a good fit in terms of squad ethos, work rate, etc.

Use data, but don’t depend on it. Like I say, football isn’t an exact science, so don’t depend or rely on an exact science (data) entirely for success.

The whole thing is a nonsense and as the Cod Almighty article says the permutations of data is endless, as are the ways of interpreting it as are the things that aren't covered by data.

However, as a tool to create a list of possible targets it is as good as any other method, but really it is just the modern equivalent of making a list of players that might be suitable, but as many teams find out every season it does not necessarily increase your chances of success.

Private Message
Reply: 34 - 94
rancido
April 27, 2024, 8:55am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,647
Gold Stars: 100
Quoted from exiledmeggie
At the end of the day, the only data we need is the league table and that doesn’t lie!

But that comes after players are signed and played - the damage could be done then.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 94
grimps
April 27, 2024, 9:21am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,144
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from LondonMariner43
Alan Buckley may not have had data but he did have.a set way that he wanted to play and he signed players that fitted into that style.  He never compromised on that often much to the irritation of some supporters who’d complain about the fancy pass and move and shout to lump it into the box.  

In contrast, could anyone describe PH’s way of playing?  He made some great signings and brought success but I couldn’t tell you what was the PH way.

Every club uses data.  It would be weird not to in this day and age.

He put the graft in , him and Arthur Mann were always at games scouting
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 94
GrimPol
April 27, 2024, 2:03pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -787
Gold Stars: 76

The whole thing is a nonsense and as the Cod Almighty article says the permutations of data is endless, as are the ways of interpreting it as are the things that aren't covered by data.

However, as a tool to create a list of possible targets it is as good as any other method, but really it is just the modern equivalent of making a list of players that might be suitable, but as many teams find out every season it does not necessarily increase your chances of success.

There is an old saying BBB (Bulldroppings Baffle Brains) and the article is in part that, and in part a smoke and mirrors for people not to see and ask what is going on.

Joe Hutchinson joins GTFC  in November 2022 from Lincoln City as Head of Recruitment Analysis, one assumes ready for the 2023 24 season. We now find that PH went his own way and didn't implement much/any of JH's ideas.
That season kicks off and it soon becomes apparent all is not well, as the team is playing poorly "like strangers" someone posted on TheFishy. And yet as the tone and volume of alarm spread throughout TheFishy and beyond, soothing voices from GTFC said that all is well as the Data shows we are playing well and all is alright until we started to worry that we and the management were watching different games altogether. The inevitable happened at Doncaster, and showed how poor the board is in man management. It wasn't until Monday that it was clear who was in charge and in the vacuum of the weekend, damage was done to the team's morale. The focus should have been on the people who are staying as they have to battle on regardless. The sacking should have  been done at Grimsby, one lot sacking, one lot pacifying the rest as things must go on. Amateurish.  JS writes a Guardian piece wringing his hands and trying to vindicate the shambles by lecturing everyone about Sacking = Unemployment.
We then go through a longish period of looking for the "right man" and we recruit a one-team, 18 months unemployed manager who is filling his time studying Forensic-Biology and who we entrust to stop a Slo-Mo Relegation battle. Yes, some of the January window recruits are better than we have already, but we spectacularly crash land with some historic thrashings. A "meeting" to "clear the air" ensues and changes are put into place, and we all sigh in relief. Yes sure, we are all grateful, except, DA put in that position in the first place.

Now JS writes a piece in the Guardian and intimates that PH hadn't gone along with the Data Recruitment, so Data Recruitment cannot be blamed and anyway Data saved the day by keeping Town up!
Didn't JS discuss the employment of a Data Recruitment Analyst with PH, and did PH go with it or against it. If PH was against the way that GTFC was travelling, why was he in employment at the start of 2023-24 ?  If he, JS, is now blaming PH for recruiting different players, to what was recommended, why did he sign them off?
The Guardian piece just muddies the waters so you can't see the mistakes that have been made. As I say BBB

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 94
rancido
April 27, 2024, 2:38pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,647
Gold Stars: 100
Quoted from GrimPol

The Flat Earth Society is alive and active.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 94
GrimPol
April 27, 2024, 7:00pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -787
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from rancido

The Flat Earth Society is alive and active.

Is that the best you can do?
I always know when I'm winning the argument when you attack the messenger not the message.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 94
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Jason’s latest Guardian article

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.