Maringer
April 26, 2024, 10:28am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,660
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

Also Buckley worked astonishingly hard at identifying who he brought in. Too hard perhaps. I’d imagine he’d be a supporter of the more modern way of doing things as he was an absolute student of the game.

I remember Artell mentioning in one of his interviews the other month that Buckley had popped in when walking the dog and joined in with the coaching staff who were discussing plans for a game!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 94
April 26, 2024, 10:41am
Guest User
I admired Clough and his approach as much as anyone. But it was finished and obsolete by 1991.

Like it or not (and for the record, I don't), the game has changed immeasurably. Either evolve or become extinct. Simple as that.  
Reply: 11 - 94
TownSNAFU5
April 26, 2024, 10:42am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,906
Gold Stars: 42
In the latter half of next season I would like to see some of the excellent youth players given a few games.  If they are considered ready for a big step-up.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 94
Chrisblor
April 26, 2024, 10:56am

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,952
Gold Stars: 239

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 94
Theimperialcoroner
April 26, 2024, 11:05am

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,263
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from Maringer

I remember Artell mentioning in one of his interviews the other month that Buckley had popped in when walking the dog and joined in with the coaching staff who were discussing plans for a game!

I heard that too and it made me feel all warm inside.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 94
jimgtfc
April 26, 2024, 11:22am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,101
Gold Stars: 45
The one thing that can completely nullify the data approach is still our location, and if an identified player wants to come here. Let’s say we want a central midfielder, under the age of 26, who averages over 80 passes per game, with a pass completion rate of over 85%, with over 50% of those passes being forward. We might be able to identify 5 players who fit those criteria, but they might not be available, or if they are, they will also be wanted by other, possibly more attractive clubs who are looking down the data route, they might be based in the south and might not want to come to Grimsby, and so we’re left looking down the list, and end up recruiting players that don’t quite fit the criteria and we force a style of football on them that doesn’t suit them.

I’m a huge fan of JS and AP, but he’s very much nailing his colours to the mast here, we have to get this transfer window right, otherwise these methods will be questioned.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 94
lew chaterleys lover
April 26, 2024, 11:27am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,747
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Chrisblor

I saw your comment in the Guardian and had a wry smile I must admit!
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 94
Azimuth
April 26, 2024, 11:53am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +709
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

Also Buckley worked astonishingly hard at identifying who he brought in. Too hard perhaps. I’d imagine he’d be a supporter of the more modern way of doing things as he was an absolute student of the game.

100% agree with this.
Buckley and almost every succesful manager has built teams using their knowledge and expertise in identifying the right player for the role in the team which they had in mind, these days it is called a data lead approach.
Jason talked of ingredients and recipes, but a much simpler analogy which would have been applicable to Buckley and Clough and still stands up today, is that you cant fit a square peg in a round hole.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 94
horsforthmariner
April 26, 2024, 12:07pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 9
I reckon Buckley would have loved the data. It would have suited the meticulous nature of his personality.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 94
mimma
April 26, 2024, 12:48pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
I think Buckley and Clough used the data approach, but it was all in their heads and not on a laptop. Buckley in particular had a detailed knowledge of conference players when he came here and used it to good effect to sign players that everyone else where saying "who?" He didn't do too badly did he?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 94
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Jason’s latest Guardian article

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.