Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › The Official Summer Transfer Rumour Thread
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

The Official Summer Transfer Rumour Thread

This thread currently has 50,503 views. Print
34 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Mikey_345
April 25, 2024, 4:16pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +5,544
Gold Stars: 107
The strategy isn't just to solely bring in those young players to develop and move on, however it will include that. We signed 30 year old Thompson and 28 year old Liam Smith this January.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 334
Mappers
April 25, 2024, 4:17pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,423
Gold Stars: 119
Charlie Kirk could be here I think
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 334
Abdul19
April 25, 2024, 4:30pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,589
Gold Stars: 219
Quoted from rancido

Who was the centre back that Slade brought back in his last spell at the expense of Pearson ? He was ex Premiersh*t with years of experience and was awful. It's all about opinions but I'm sure we can find a longer term and better option than Ryan Bennett.

Nathan Clarke but not sure he went above League 1.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 334
Lincoln Mariner 56
April 25, 2024, 4:35pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,764
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from rancido

Who was the centre back that Slade brought back in his last spell at the expense of Pearson ? He was ex Premiersh*t with years of experience and was awful. It's all about opinions but I'm sure we can find a longer term and better option than Ryan Bennett.

Clarke, ex- Coventry but he did score v Notts County to help keep us up!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 334
LocalLadGTFC
April 25, 2024, 5:04pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,319
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from Jammin242

touché I think the January window was to give DA what he needed to keep up safe.

As I said I was gutted with Foxy leaving, he was a like for like replacement for Dis! Foxy and Thompson would be awesome! but I just cant see it!  

Most the lads we signed in Jan were targets in the summer that Hurst opposed against.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 94 - 334
nickmariners
April 25, 2024, 5:12pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +520
Gold Stars: 4
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

I've seen a few comments about Tharme being slow, I actually think he covers ground really quickly. I think the pace at centre half has been made to look a bigger problem than it is because we've had no pace at full back for a while. Glennon moved like he's stuck in mud and Hume isn't much better and then like you said Mullarkey isn't blessed with extreme pace, especially made to look worse when he was playing against a quick winger but reads the game very well at centre half so doesn't really get caught out. I think pace is something we lack throughout the whole squad.

Sorry mate. Disagree completely about Hume's pace. E.g. He was absolutely flying down the wing in his debut at Accrington. His team-mates didn't take proper advantage of his terrific runs, but he had probably trained with them only once at that time.

Point is, the lad can run...and fast.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 334
forza ivano
April 25, 2024, 8:30pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,280
Gold Stars: 266
With regards all these suggestions of ex-GTFC players returning, what we have to remember is that in previous seasons we all got to know the type of player that Hurst would sign/re-sign so could quite easily pre-empt the final result.

But now we have the mysterious Big Dave, who is 'only' the Head Coach, and Big Joe Hutchinson with his laptop of wizardry on the hunt for new players. We dont have a 'scooby' about the type of players either of them are searching for, and the January acquisitions proved that completely.

Personally, I very much doubt one of the options on Joe's Excel sheet, is where individual players are living/based, and certainly won't have extra points added if they have played for Town before.

Just like January, I think most of our new signings will receive plenty of 'ooooohs' and a regular smattering of 'aaaaahs' when they are announced.

Personally I think you're wrong on this. I think most of us know that our location is a negative. You try to recruit regionally and suddenly it becomes a positive. Look at Wilson, Orsi & Crocombe. A major reason for all of them leaving was the desire to be closer to home. Now, if home is the East Midlands or Ull/Goole/Scunny etc, then our location becomes a positive.

I know , given the shiite season we have, that this season's squad isn't a great model, but we had Eastwood, Cartwright, Maher, Waterfall, Rodgers, Amos (?) ,Green, Clifton, Khouri, Bramwell, Gradener, Thompson, Hunt,Vernham,Holohan, Rose & Eisa all in that category.

I will bet you a penny to a pound that locality/origin is 1 of the filters in Joe's search engine

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 334
ginnywings
April 25, 2024, 8:31pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
There are literally thousands of footballers out there looking for a chance to show what they can do, and yet every transfer thread throws up a yearning for ex players.

When the summer recruitment started, most of the players we were linked with or signed were known or recognisable names, which is a theme of Hurst. He does like to sign players he has worked with before, and look how that turned out.

In Jan, I knew nothing of the players we brought in, and they have all been an improvement to varying degrees.

I hope the summer signings are the same type who have me asking myself "who"? and heading to google to find out. Would make an exception for Ryan Bennett as he is locally based and 34 is not old for modern professional footballers who have better training and diet regimes than footballers of old. Think most League 2 clubs would be interested in him, but we have the advantage of him living locally, and maybe he fancies not having to travel a distance to training 3 times a week.

I'll do what I always do, which is to sit back patiently and wait for the actual signings to be announced in due course.

Had a gutful of footy this season, and will be glad of the break for a few weeks.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 334
GollyGTFC
April 26, 2024, 6:45am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,038
Gold Stars: 358

Fox did a great job for us but..

He came to us with a reputation for injuries and we were almost the last chance saloon for him. At Northampton he has played well but has missed a lot of football because of injury (he has played 41 games in 2 seasons). I think we got lucky with him and playing a level below our current level was very good for him.

Fox only started 22 out of our 44 regular season NL matches for us.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 98 - 334
Mappers
April 26, 2024, 8:55am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,423
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Fox only started 22 out of our 44 regular season NL matches for us.

He was just fit at the right time wasn't he thankfully . I imagine when he left the Matches played V ££££ just couldn't justify it , it's probably proven the right decision based on the amount of games he's played for Northampton ; pretty sure he got another 'big' injury there aswell and was out for ages . Very good player but probably only good for 20 games a season at most .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 334
34 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › The Official Summer Transfer Rumour Thread

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.