Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › The Official Summer Transfer Rumour Thread
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

The Official Summer Transfer Rumour Thread

This thread currently has 55,100 views. Print
37 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
LocalLadGTFC
April 25, 2024, 10:20am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,319
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from diehardmariner
Yeah I don't think any of them are slow, just average.  Which is the point across the squad isn't it?  No real tortoises but no actual pace either.  I don't think he was rapid but Efete was probably our quickest player.  Good point down the left side, can add Amos to that issue too.  It badly exposed us too often last season.

Be it defence, midfield or attack, it's something we really lack and I'm certain Artell will be looking at.  Lost count of the times this season when we had the opportunity to hit sides on the counter but teams easily recover because we've no one to stretch away from them.  Crying out for a Max Wright against Wrexham type break.

Aye and to back that point up, the amount of times we've had a corner and they break away and score... personal favourite is Green chasing Andy Cannon back against Wrexham and falling over his own feet  
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 70 - 362
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 25, 2024, 10:21am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,301
Gold Stars: 307
And another thing...

The spine of next season's team would look like:

Bennett
Tharme

Thompson

Rose

That's not a bad start.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 362
Poojah
April 25, 2024, 10:26am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,725
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from diehardmariner
My only issue with Bennett would be that it wouldn't address the attribute we lack a bit at the back, pace.

I was starting to write a post as to why signing Bennett would be a terrible idea, but by the end of it had just about talked myself into it. If we’re going to revert to playing out from the back next season, Bennett should at least be capable of that given the level he’s played out, and has been a mainstay of a side that has avoided relegation from a tough League One.

But you hit the nail on the head; we are absolutely crying out for some athleticism at centre-half. I’m absolutely not suggesting Toto, but someone of that ilk is an absolute must. If it’s a case of being a choice between a 34 year-old Ryan Bennett and someone big and quick (who can still play a bit), then I think the gaps in the team at present dictate the latter as the better option, but if both are a possibility, then that might be a nice bit of business.

I assume we’re all in agreement that Maher is done.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 362
BobbyCummingsTackle
April 25, 2024, 10:39am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,301
Gold Stars: 307
Quoted from Poojah

I was starting to write a post as to why signing Bennett would be a terrible idea, but by the end of it had just about talked myself into it. If we’re going to revert to playing out from the back next season, Bennett should at least be capable of that given the level he’s played out, and has been a mainstay of a side that has avoided relegation from a tough League One.

But you hit the nail on the head; we are absolutely crying out for some athleticism at centre-half. I’m absolutely not suggesting Toto, but someone of that ilk is an absolute must. If it’s a case of being a choice between a 34 year-old Ryan Bennett and someone big and quick (who can still play a bit), then I think the gaps in the team at present dictate the latter as the better option, but if both are a possibility, then that might be a nice bit of business.

I think we can 'afford' both (Bennett and a quicker player). I am not generally happy about bringing back old players but Ryan is an exception for me - leader, calm influence, bloody good player.

His lack of pace was not an issue for Cambridge this season and last.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 362
diehardmariner
April 25, 2024, 10:41am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,673
Gold Stars: 540
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

Aye and to back that point up, the amount of times we've had a corner and they break away and score... personal favourite is Green chasing Andy Cannon back against Wrexham and falling over his own feet  

Almost as good as this from Rochdale's Warren Goodhind trying to stop Michael Reddy (About 1:10 in)

Tweet 1600042155401129984 will appear here...
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 362
diehardmariner
April 25, 2024, 10:45am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,673
Gold Stars: 540

I think we can 'afford' both (Bennett and a quicker player). I am not generally happy about bringing back old players but Ryan is an exception for me - leader, calm influence, bloody good player.

His lack of pace was not an issue for Cambridge this season and last.

I've no intel or insight but would be surprised if we can afford both without someone going out.  Body for body Maher could be replaced by Bennett.  But an extra central defender would put us at 5 plus young Bramwell.  I think 5 or 6 is a decent number, especially if you're playing 3 at the back, but all of those will be on a decent whack.  

Who was Bennett paired with at Cambridge, or rather are they quicker players?

On Poojah's point regards Maher, I agree.  It's a shame as I think he's a good player and if I had to choose between him and Rodgers, he wins every time.  But we need to mix things up in there and he's the easy/available option to do so.
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 362
Mikey_345
April 25, 2024, 10:59am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +5,552
Gold Stars: 107
Quoted from Poojah

Yep, in different circumstances you'd be able to make an argument for keeping. However, we have Tharme and Rodgers under contract - we cannot go into next season with 3 of the centre-halves that have lead us to 20th in L2. Would only leave room for one more and I'd argue we need minimum two, possibly three but Rodgers contract length will get him another shot, hopefully we see abit of the Rob Jones second season effect.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 362
Mikey_345
April 25, 2024, 11:00am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +5,552
Gold Stars: 107
Quoted from bawarmy
The only thing certain is, this thread will get 200 pages

I think you could double that, comfortably! What a time to be alive..

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 362
Maringer
April 25, 2024, 11:17am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,666
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from bawarmy
The only thing certain is, this thread will get 200 pages...

...by the end of the month.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 362
The Yard Dog
April 25, 2024, 11:50am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,516
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from bawarmy
The only thing certain is, this thread will get 200 pages

Before the 1st signing
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 362
37 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › The Official Summer Transfer Rumour Thread

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.