arryarryarry
April 26, 2024, 5:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Mappers

True , but these were the terms and conditions  DA agreed to when he took on the job, it's not like Hurst who was already in situ so it was (I assume ) more difficult to get him to adhere to within the strategy they want to implement . He had full accountability and fell on his sword , on his own terms - It's clear it went really badly wrong last summer with his regular methodology but with more money at his disposal.

DA will have the final say on signings , but if It goes wrong with the signings there will be more group accountability than just the manager - whether that's right or wrong is open to  debate but I'm pretty certain that's how it will be .

I thought he was sacked.
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 85
WOZOFGRIMSBY
April 27, 2024, 11:03am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,951
Gold Stars: 180
Hindsight is wonderful and while PH gave us those good times with the promotions and fa cup journey, I would say that 70% of the fan base grew bored of the turgid football thrown up most weeks. We were in essence trying to be less 5hit than 2 other 5hit teams.

While JH uses his knowledge and spreadsheets to find players to fit in with the model of the ‘Grimsby way’ DA can spend more time with the players, more time with the club and more time with the supporters. He gets to break away from the office for some time and get some time away, this no doubt is beneficial to his mental health which in turn gives clear fresh insight into both what happens on and off the pitch/s.

I think what is expected now , is players will now be on the radar from further away and be able to fit into a defined role/s. The data isn’t the be all and end all as it can’t put things like emotion and injury into an end result but, hopefully it’ll lead to a more defined path of what is expected by supporters, management team and owners.

It’ll definitely be interesting to see where we are 12 months from now and see where this philosophy of football takes us to

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 85
Mappers
April 27, 2024, 11:25am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,423
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from arryarryarry

I thought he was sacked.

I meant more in terms of the way we set up with recruitment and system which was all down to him, sorry if my terminology was poor.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 85
WesternMariner
April 27, 2024, 12:36pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +6 / -1
Approval: +948
Gold Stars: 38
“So a head of recruitment is a scout, he will do all the work of a scout but is more advanced in the fact he will oversee recruitment throughout the whole club. They will speak with players, staff and then JS or the new CEO. David Artell still has final say over every single player that signs on the dotted line as like you said, the book stops with him and it's his job on the line but he puts his trust in JH and rightfully so.”

I’ve got no problem with this - if JH is a talented bloke who can spot a player then go and scout him, maybe if he likes him takes DA to watch him etc. Maybe DA says to JH we need a midfield general what have you got in your database. What’s the difference with between that and Arthur Mann or Peter Taylor? Kind of makes me think the whole data thing is being overblown and what’s really happening in a not moneyball but a tweak on good old fashioned scouting.

All men are equal before fish.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 85
GollyGTFC
April 27, 2024, 1:22pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,038
Gold Stars: 358
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
We were in essence trying to be less 5hit than 2 other 5hit teams.

Thank god we've moved on from those days hey...

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 84 - 85
crusty ole pie
May 2, 2024, 9:53pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,383
Gold Stars: 66
Surprised no one’s got a picture of the work being done or that the club have not done a post watch video  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 85
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Main stand

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.