9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
gytone
April 24, 2024, 8:57pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,029
Gold Stars: 8
I still think BP, in its present state isn't big enough, we averged about 6500 this season, for a team that struggled. If and I realise it's a big if, we have any success at all I think fans would be frustrated getting decent seats to sit in, resulting in fans not choosing to attend and the club losing out on revenue.
I don't think we can afford to move, but maybe redevelop BP, seats in the corners, new roof on the main stand etc, I've no idea where the money comes from though, grants ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 85
Brummie Codfather
April 25, 2024, 7:33am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +888
Gold Stars: 22
Quoted from White_shorts

In theory we could stay at BP, finish mid-table League One every year and maybe have a season in the Championship every ten years.  However, it is more likely that the general public would become apathetic and the club yo-yo between L1 and L2.

Apart from the apathetic bit this sounds pretty amazing to me!  I don’t know about others but even if realistic (which it isn’t) I have no interest in getting to the Premier League with all the corporate guff, insane wages, shite kick off times and VAR.  I’d quite happily be doing OK in league 1 or 2 and if you ever had a season in the Championship, great.

The most important thing to me is to feel a connection to the club, and enjoy myself with my fellow Town fans at a game.   That’s one of the reasons I don’t sit in the Main Stand tbh, I get annoyed being able to see F all.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 85
Mappers
April 25, 2024, 8:13am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,423
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from gytone
I still think BP, in its present state isn't big enough, we averged about 6500 this season, for a team that struggled. If and I realise it's a big if, we have any success at all I think fans would be frustrated getting decent seats to sit in, resulting in fans not choosing to attend and the club losing out on revenue.
I don't think we can afford to move, but maybe redevelop BP, seats in the corners, new roof on the main stand etc, I've no idea where the money comes from though, grants ?

It's not big enough , but how much not big enough is open to debate . I'm not sure there are 5k extra fans out there just waiting to come if we move through the gears in terms of doing well in league 1 or 2 . I think we could get 1 -3k more if we had larger capacity and were able to offer the full away end to the larger clubs in league 1 . The commercial argument for a new ground is no longer so strong , you look at Doncaster,MK Dons and the Colchester grounds they just make me think staying at BP isn't so bad after all people seem to enjoy it for the novelty factor ,even away fans .

I suppose the question is - how do you improve it to modern day standard while keeping that unique twist to it ?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 85
Mikey_345
April 25, 2024, 9:49am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +5,544
Gold Stars: 107
Quoted from White_shorts

Someone here reckoned Mr Stockwood has £100m to his name.  What's the point to having all that money just sitting in a bank?  Use it to build something that would benefit thousands of people.

In theory we could stay at BP, finish mid-table League One every year and maybe have a season in the Championship every ten years.  However, it is more likely that the general public would become apathetic and the club yo-yo between L1 and L2.  We know too well what happens when you assemble a poor squad in L2.

Seems we are just ignoring the fact he's already spent, along with Andrew, a considerable amount of money. It's always easy spending other peoples money - does every single fan pour all their money into the club? No.. so what changes just cause you have more than the others.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 85
LocalLadGTFC
April 25, 2024, 10:00am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,319
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from White_shorts

Someone here reckoned Mr Stockwood has £100m to his name.  What's the point to having all that money just sitting in a bank?  Use it to build something that would benefit thousands of people.

In theory we could stay at BP, finish mid-table League One every year and maybe have a season in the Championship every ten years.  However, it is more likely that the general public would become apathetic and the club yo-yo between L1 and L2.  We know too well what happens when you assemble a poor squad in L2.

If you had 100 million would you put it into the club? I know I wouldn't. JS jokingly made a comment that he's spending his childrens inheritance but he has a point, we all know BP and the club have been mishandled for 20 plus years.. I imagine if they knew the level of spending required then it'd of probably put them off buying the club.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 44 - 85
grimps
April 25, 2024, 10:07am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,144
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

If you had 100 million would you put it into the club? I know I wouldn't. JS jokingly made a comment that he's spending his childrens inheritance but he has a point, we all know BP and the club have been mishandled for 20 plus years.. I imagine if they knew the level of spending required then it'd of probably put them off buying the club.

I would stick 50 million in for the club's new stadium, then I'd squander the rest on fast cars and loose women.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 85
diehardmariner
April 25, 2024, 10:10am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,663
Gold Stars: 540
Do you think Jason has £100mill in his house, maybe in a shitload of those £1 pocket coin dispensers?

His worth will be tied up in other investments.  But regardless of how cash rich he is, let's see you put 40% of your worth into the stadium first and I'm sure others will follow...

Hate this mindset that just because someone has a bit of wealth it's acceptable to call on them to get their hand in their pocket.  It's crass.
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 85
Mikey_345
April 25, 2024, 10:13am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +5,544
Gold Stars: 107
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

I'm sure someone can correct me if I am wrong, however didn't the previous incumbent walk away having received more money than they put in through shares and loans? Not seeing much prospect or desire from Jason and Andrew for that happening in this case.

They've thrown money in to improving things that have been allowed to rot and decay for years. Whether that's the training ground, the stadium, the pitch, the squad or a hundred other facilities/assets.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 85
The Yard Dog
April 25, 2024, 11:26am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +14 / -2
Approval: +3,513
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from Brummie Codfather

Apart from the apathetic bit this sounds pretty amazing to me!  I don’t know about others but even if realistic (which it isn’t) I have no interest in getting to the Premier League with all the corporate guff, insane wages, shite kick off times and VAR.  I’d quite happily be doing OK in league 1 or 2 and if you ever had a season in the Championship, great.

The most important thing to me is to feel a connection to the club, and enjoy myself with my fellow Town fans at a game.   That’s one of the reasons I don’t sit in the Main Stand tbh, [/b]I get annoyed being able to see F all.[b]

That might have been a blessing this season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 85
Chrisblor
April 25, 2024, 11:38am

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,952
Gold Stars: 239
If I win the £130m euromillions jackpot tomorrow night I will personally fund a new stadium for town, and that's a chrisblor promise!

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 85
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Main stand

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.