Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Three up - Three Down?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Three up - Three Down?

This thread currently has 2,594 views. Print
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
grimps
April 11, 2024, 9:36am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,144
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from Mappers
I'm doubtful it will happen now the NL has 'emptied out ' of the more well financed clubs , it's going to start looking very much a standard none league over the next couple of years i suspect . One minnow will make it up this season .

To put it in perspective only 5 NL clubs are averaging over 3k gates and one of those will be gone (Chesterfield ) it only then gives you Oldham , Hartlepool  Southend and York- who are well backed , who you would think could hold their own in the league.

Yeah and all of those 4 are traditional ex league clubs .
It’s horrible when you’re down there but you only have to look at the state of Harrogates ground and their lack of support to see clubs like that offer little value to the rest of the league.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 27
rancido
April 11, 2024, 11:08am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,647
Gold Stars: 100
Quoted from grimps

But don't you think that as the Premiersh*t gets more expensive and almost "elitist" then there will be a greater interest for locals to support these "lesser or smaller" clubs? Once you make it a more realistic chance to attain Football League status then these clubs can structure themselves accordingly and aspire to get promoted. Look at the FL clubs in Div 1 and 2 that don't attract large gates, ( Barrow, Accrington, Morecambe, Harrogate )yet still remain competitive and relatively successful.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 27
Mappers
April 11, 2024, 11:17am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,423
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from rancido

But don't you think that as the Premiersh*t gets more expensive and almost "elitist" then there will be a greater interest for locals to support these "lesser or smaller" clubs? Once you make it a more realistic chance to attain Football League status then these clubs can structure themselves accordingly and aspire to get promoted. Look at the FL clubs in Div 1 and 2 that don't attract large gates, ( Barrow, Accrington, Morecambe, Harrogate )yet still remain competitive and relatively successful.

Doubtful tbh they might do well bankrolled - Harrogate . The others have been well run and Barrow have the USP of their training ground location . But they have all lost money in recent years -- both Morecambe & Accrington have started a cost cutting exercise to bring them down to a break even point - let's see how they do next season on tiny gates and an even smaller budget ; I am guessing it probably won't be so well .

Both Morecambe & Accrington got to league 1 and were lucky to ever break  4k even with a decent level of success so I don't see where all the fans will come from when they revert to break even and probably do worse .

We need to start punching at our weight next season at least imo financially which would be top 12 you would have thought . One bad season can be forgiven as a mistake but 2 would be something more than that .Need to get those 3 or 4 points asap.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 27
AdamHaddock
April 11, 2024, 3:11pm

Main Stander
Rep Score: +37 / -5
Approval: +2,846
Gold Stars: 26
I'd have three up / three down definitely.

But instead of the National League followed by North and South I'd have three parallel divisions below League Two....National League North / South and Midlands. Reducing travel costs for smaller clubs at that level. Just one promotion place from each of those three divisions

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 27
rancido
April 12, 2024, 8:04am

Special Brew Drinker
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,647
Gold Stars: 100
Quoted from Mappers

Doubtful tbh they might do well bankrolled - Harrogate . The others have been well run and Barrow have the USP of their training ground location . But they have all lost money in recent years -- both Morecambe & Accrington have started a cost cutting exercise to bring them down to a break even point - let's see how they do next season on tiny gates and an even smaller budget ; I am guessing it probably won't be so well .

Both Morecambe & Accrington got to league 1 and were lucky to ever break  4k even with a decent level of success so I don't see where all the fans will come from when they revert to break even and probably do worse .

We need to start punching at our weight next season at least imo financially which would be top 12 you would have thought . One bad season can be forgiven as a mistake but 2 would be something more than that .Need to get those 3 or 4 points asap.

How many clubs in the FL and Premiersh*t aren't " bankrolled" to one degree or another?
The whole FL needs restructuring and brought into the 21st Century especially since the Premiersh*t broke away. Like I mentioned earlier ,bring it back up to the format of 4 divisions of 23 teams each by including the top level non- league teams. Give each team an equal vote in all league decisions - I believe there still exists they crazy situation where only the Championship clubs have a vote each and Leagues 1 and 2 have so many votes between them. Introduce an equal distribution of incoming wealth from Premiersh*t contributions, as opposed to different amounts for different league levels.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 27
Mappers
April 12, 2024, 9:32am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,423
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from rancido

How many clubs in the FL and Premiersh*t aren't " bankrolled" to one degree or another?
The whole FL needs restructuring and brought into the 21st Century especially since the Premiersh*t broke away. Like I mentioned earlier ,bring it back up to the format of 4 divisions of 23 teams each by including the top level non- league teams. Give each team an equal vote in all league decisions - I believe there still exists they crazy situation where only the Championship clubs have a vote each and Leagues 1 and 2 have so many votes between them. Introduce an equal distribution of incoming wealth from Premiersh*t contributions, as opposed to different amounts for different league levels.

I agree but the whole debate is a lot more nuanced than that .

There is a massive difference from a Stockport , Wrexham or dare I say it even Lincoln - who all probably naturally have the capability to operate at league 1 level in terms of gates and income but owners/investors are literally gifting them money to help speed up the process somewhat - whether that's right in itself ; that clubs have to / can spend over what their income is , is another question.

It's more the likes of FGR ,Crawley ,  Salford , Harrogate etc who will in probability never be able to naturally be a sustainable or small loss making operation , have no capability of growth in terms of fanbase and eventually when the money dries up just revert to their natural level or worse .

Then there are the clubs that have been 'tucked up ' by bad owners who just leverage loads of debt against the clubs  - again another debate but that's more a regulatory issue that needs to be stamped out or more clubs will end up in a mess living beyond their means .

Even though I have my dislike for Fenty he did run a tight ship financially and I make a guess that over his tenure we would be high up in terms of profit/loss in that period but it didn't give us any sort of advantage ; whether that was down to his inept management of the club or a combination of that and trying to play by the rules (being tight ) is for others to make their mind up . But in my mind playing fair doesn't help in a game that's gone far from that . Let's hope the current custodians make a better go of it , and the game changes during their reign .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 27
AncientExiledMariner
April 13, 2024, 8:38pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +520
Gold Stars: 59
I was in favour of 3 up and 3 down when in there, and I still am.

NL relegation shouldn't be a death sentence for a club. It's supposed to be about rehabilitation, and if you get 2 clubs throwing money at it, you've got no chance of going up while being well run. I think it would help good clubs go up, and weaker league 2 clubs go down, sort their excrement out before returning. Many clubs there are professional so there is no reason to not allow it. It will not weaken league 2. Play-offs are a lottery and 2 well run clubs should justify a promotion on top of that.

Next season, we should hopefully be nowhere near the bottom, so it shouldn't matter anyway. If we want to stay up, we have to justify our position there.

Oh, and agree on all the comments regarding the stupid 4 up and 4 down from L1. Change it to 3.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 27
horsforthmariner
April 13, 2024, 8:42pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 9
It should be 3 up - thank god it’s not
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 27
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Three up - Three Down?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.