7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
diehardmariner
April 12, 2024, 10:07am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,673
Gold Stars: 540
Below is the list of young loanees we've signed who came here to cut their teeth a bit compared to those who were young professionals at the club that season, since we got back in the league first time round (16/17),

It surprised me but there's more players we've signed who proved to be of benefit than I remember.  I think there's a bit of recency bias with the likes of Mikey O'Neill and Tom Dickson-Peters et al.  All in the loans have tended to have given us something more often than not.  For every Shaun Tuton there was an Elliott Embleton.

Equally so there's not that many of the young lads who were probably hampered by the loan lads who were taking their place in the side.  The likes of Mattie Pollock got their chance and took it, whereas the Alex McMillan's of the world (sorry, I couldn't remember either) haven't set the world alight since leaving.  In fact there isn't any who have gone onto prove us wrong with a couple of flawed exceptions.  Joe Starbuck and Duncan Idehen went onto higher levels but their departures were strange ones.  Starbuck didn't cut it at Sheff Utd's development team and having had ok loan spells in Conf. North with Boston and Kiddy has made a whole 1 minute in the league for Tranmere this season.  Idehen has had limited opportunities at Bristol City but has since spent a fair bit of time on loan in the Conference South.

What stands out quite a lot is that we just seem to get some of these lads that little bit too early.  Kayden Jackson showed brief moments but not of a player who could cut it at the top end of the Championship.  I liked Sam Bell but I didn't think he would go onto make 80 appearances and score 11 goals in the second tier before his 22nd birthday.  Terry Taylor is obviously the best example.

Aspiration wise we need to try and get to that position where clubs will loan us players a bit further on in their journey.  That's probably the benefit of getting loan players in early and helping to develop them.  Let's say we help develop Obikwu this season, that'll build a bit of trust with Coventry.  Next season they might loan us their next Ephron Mason-Clark.   Same with Jamie Andrews.  There's so many times this season where I've looked at him and thought he's no better than Khouri, Hunt and I've also thought I'd rather see Braithwaite get a chance in there.  But who knows who we might be able to get from West Brom next season?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love us to blood all our own youngsters and have that side of XI home grown lads.  But it's not going to happen, certainly not overnight.  We haven't got a huge transfer budget and we're fighting everyone else in the division for the better players who are available.  Lack of those, lack of young professionals we can use in the first team so we have to plug the gap somewhere.  If we can, over time, get to a position, where clubs are prepared to loan us their Mason-Clark's that's going to be of a huge, huge benefit to us.   The challenge is getting there and making sure we can develop the loan lads.  My personal view is that last season was overkill.  We had too many young loanees and it was of no benefit at all.  Pepple, Richardson, Simmonds, Dickson-Peters...one or two at most, you can incorporate those into your squad and help them, maybe even hide them a bit when the times are tough.  With the full quota of 5 you're almost using them for the sake of it.

23/24

Harvey Cartwright - Of benefit
Jamie Andrews - Undecided
Justin Obikwu - Of benefit
Harry Wood - No benefit.

Jamie Bramwell
Cameron Gardner

22/23

Andy Smith - Of benefit
Bim Pepple - No benefit
Kiki Simmonds - No benefit
Lewis Richardson - Undecided, injuries made it difficult to stay
Mikey O'Neill - No benefit
Tom Dickson-Peters - No benefit

Jaz Goundry
Harvey Tomlinson
Edwin Essel
Aaron Braithwaite

21/22

Seb Revan - No benefit
Andy Smith - Of benefit
Callum Jones - Limited time
Will Bapaga - Limited time, but not sure we had anyone better than him waiting
Sam Bell - Limited time but gone onto fulfil potential
Ryley Towler - Of benefit and operating at higher level
Ajran Raikhy - Of benefit, operating at higher level
Alex Hunt - Of benefit (at the time)

20/21

Danny Preston - No benefit
Owura Edwards - Of benefit, albeit based on improving a shocking side
Terry Taylor - No benefit. No-one saw where he was heading
James Morton - No benefit
Owen Windsor - No benefit
Virgil Gomis - LOL
Jay Matete - Of benefit, higher level now
Idris El Mizouni - Didn't benefit us but exceeded us ever since
Joe Adams - No benefit (goal aside)

Duncan Idehen
Ben Grist
Jock Curran
Harvey Tomlinson
Evan Khouri
Joe Starbuck
Cameron Painter
Louis Boyd
Luis Adlard

19/20

Liam Gibson - Of benefit, operated at similar or higher level since
Ethan Robson - Of benefit, operating higher up consistently
Anthony Glennon - Of benefit, certainly at the time
Josh Benson - Of benefit, £1million player not long after us

Ollie Battersby
Matty Pollock
Brandon Buckley
Brandon McPherson
Joey Hope

18/19

Akin Famewo - Of benefit, higher level since
Elliott Embelton - Of benefit
Joe Grayson - Of benefit, higher level until injuries took hold

Rumarn Burell

17/18

Diallang Jaiyesimi - Under utilised, mainly higher level since
Charles Vernam - Became permament deal
Easah Suliman - No benefit

Jack Keeble
Tom Sawyer
Ahkeem Rose
Emil Powles
Mickey Davies
Alex McMillan

16/17

Kayden Jackson - Did far better once leaving
Brandon Comley - Limited benefit, decent career since
Dean Henderson - Of benefit, incredible career since
Shaun Tuton - No benefit
Luke Maxwell - No benefit
Calum Dyson - Of benefit, injuries prevented very good career
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 62
Limerick Mariner
April 12, 2024, 1:09pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,734
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from diehardmariner
Below is the list of young loanees we've signed who came here to cut their teeth a bit compared to those who were young professionals at the club that season, since we got back in the league first time round (16/17),

It surprised me but there's more players we've signed who proved to be of benefit than I remember.  I think there's a bit of recency bias with the likes of Mikey O'Neill and Tom Dickson-Peters et al.  All in the loans have tended to have given us something more often than not.  For every Shaun Tuton there was an Elliott Embleton.

Equally so there's not that many of the young lads who were probably hampered by the loan lads who were taking their place in the side.  The likes of Mattie Pollock got their chance and took it, whereas the Alex McMillan's of the world (sorry, I couldn't remember either) haven't set the world alight since leaving.  In fact there isn't any who have gone onto prove us wrong with a couple of flawed exceptions.  Joe Starbuck and Duncan Idehen went onto higher levels but their departures were strange ones.  Starbuck didn't cut it at Sheff Utd's development team and having had ok loan spells in Conf. North with Boston and Kiddy has made a whole 1 minute in the league for Tranmere this season.  Idehen has had limited opportunities at Bristol City but has since spent a fair bit of time on loan in the Conference South.

What stands out quite a lot is that we just seem to get some of these lads that little bit too early.  Kayden Jackson showed brief moments but not of a player who could cut it at the top end of the Championship.  I liked Sam Bell but I didn't think he would go onto make 80 appearances and score 11 goals in the second tier before his 22nd birthday.  Terry Taylor is obviously the best example.

Aspiration wise we need to try and get to that position where clubs will loan us players a bit further on in their journey.  That's probably the benefit of getting loan players in early and helping to develop them.  Let's say we help develop Obikwu this season, that'll build a bit of trust with Coventry.  Next season they might loan us their next Ephron Mason-Clark.   Same with Jamie Andrews.  There's so many times this season where I've looked at him and thought he's no better than Khouri, Hunt and I've also thought I'd rather see Braithwaite get a chance in there.  But who knows who we might be able to get from West Brom next season?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love us to blood all our own youngsters and have that side of XI home grown lads.  But it's not going to happen, certainly not overnight.  We haven't got a huge transfer budget and we're fighting everyone else in the division for the better players who are available.  Lack of those, lack of young professionals we can use in the first team so we have to plug the gap somewhere.  If we can, over time, get to a position, where clubs are prepared to loan us their Mason-Clark's that's going to be of a huge, huge benefit to us.   The challenge is getting there and making sure we can develop the loan lads.  My personal view is that last season was overkill.  We had too many young loanees and it was of no benefit at all.  Pepple, Richardson, Simmonds, Dickson-Peters...one or two at most, you can incorporate those into your squad and help them, maybe even hide them a bit when the times are tough.  With the full quota of 5 you're almost using them for the sake of it.

23/24

Harry Wood - No benefit.

Jamie Bramwell
Cameron Gardner

22/23

Andy Smith - Of benefit
Bim Pepple - No benefit

Jaz Goundry
Harvey Tomlinson
Edwin Essel
Aaron Braithwaite

21/22

Seb Revan - No benefit
Andy Smith - Of benefit

20/21

Virgil Gomis - LOL

Duncan Idehen
Ben Grist
Jock Curran
Harvey Tomlinson
Evan Khouri
Joe Starbuck
Cameron Painter
Louis Boyd
Luis Adlard

19/20

Ollie Battersby
Matty Pollock
Brandon Buckley
Brandon McPherson
Joey Hope

18/19

Rumarn Burell

17/18

Jack Keeble
Tom Sawyer
Ahkeem Rose
Emil Powles
Mickey Davies
Alex McMillan

16/17

Shaun Tuton - No benefit

Great bit of analysis. What strikes me is that the area we most struggle to be effective in the permanent transfer market - up front, we also struggle to get good loanees. I would say Obikwu is only of benefit because we’ve feck all depth in that position. (Sorry to mention his name yet again) Orsi would have made that loan deal unnecessary…
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 62
forza ivano
April 12, 2024, 6:26pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,281
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from diehardmariner

23/24

Harry Wood - No benefit.

Jamie Bramwell
Cameron Gardner

22/23

Andy Smith - Of benefit
Bim Pepple - No benefit

Jaz Goundry
Harvey Tomlinson
Edwin Essel
Aaron Braithwaite

21/22

Seb Revan - No benefit
Andy Smith - Of benefit

20/21

Virgil Gomis - LOL

Duncan Idehen
Ben Grist
Jock Curran
Harvey Tomlinson
Evan Khouri
Joe Starbuck
Cameron Painter
Louis Boyd
Luis Adlard

19/20

Ollie Battersby
Matty Pollock
Brandon Buckley
Brandon McPherson
Joey Hope

18/19

Rumarn Burell

17/18

Jack Keeble
Tom Sawyer
Ahkeem Rose
Emil Powles
Mickey Davies
Alex McMillan

16/17

Shaun Tuton - No benefit

that. Who the feck was akin fanewo???
Thanks for
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 62
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back on the Bus

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.