rancido
April 10, 2024, 2:01pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,641
Gold Stars: 99
Quoted from Maringer

At the moment, Tharme's long throw is really effective at helping us clear our lines when the ball goes out deep in our half. Very helpful when we're under pressure. Also good for time-wasting as he trots slowly across to take them. Not quite Crocombe-cramp level of timewasting, but useful all the same. The referee can't complain about him time-wasting in these situations when he's been doing exactly the same all the way through the match.

Unfortunately, you're certainly right about the attacking value. In the past two or three home games which I've seen, he must have hurled the ball into the opposition box 30 or more times in total and we've not really got close to scoring from most of them. Just don't win the first header and it never seems to fall to our players whenever it isn't cleared out of the box.

When the long throws come into the penalty area it's up to our attackers to anticipate where the ball will go and react accordingly. The long throw can be a deadly weapon but there has to be a plan and structure on how to use it. Too often several players go for the same ball.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 62
CSLM
April 10, 2024, 2:31pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +645
Gold Stars: 12
Quoted from rancido

When the long throws come into the penalty area it's up to our attackers to anticipate where the ball will go and react accordingly. The long throw can be a deadly weapon but there has to be a plan and structure on how to use it. Too often several players go for the same ball.

Yep the lack of a plan and any anticipation from anyone seem to be a reoccurring problem.
Another thing I've noticed a few times is that our player will have the ball waiting to give the ball to Tharme then he runs away as soon as he has given him it. Often there are no defenders anywhere near and a simple short throw will release them into a dangerous area. I cannot believe none of them have worked that out yet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 62
louth_in_the_south
April 10, 2024, 3:19pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +25 / -12
Approval: +5,702
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

That's very harsh, Pepple literally looked like a Sunday league footballer. Obikwu seems a bit disinterested but I don't know whether that's just the way he runs. I admit he's disappointed me as the Cov fans said he had blistering pace and used his body well. I'm yet to see him beat a defender for pace and despite being 6 foot 2/3 when he jumps he's about 5 foot 2. When he gets the ball to feet he looks capable but sometimes is often seen wanting too much time, there was a couple of times yesterday where he got himself a couple yards and shot. I agree with a couple posters on this thread that i'd much rather of seen Gardner given minutes however, been impressed with what i've seen at Boro and he uses his body very well. If your good enough, you're old enough and the lad quite clearly knows where the goal is. Too many times we've had young forwards in the youth team that score a lot of goals and we've not given them significant chances in the first team over the past years. Mulready and Southwell were two that scored a lot of goals as youngsters and we were too busy giving other teams players minutes. We can't let that happen again and I hope next season Cameron is used significantly because he's a special talent.

The problem we as a L2 club have with these young lads on loan is that they’re so inexperienced we’re basically just giving them their first taste of men’s football. It’s a big deal for them to get to grips with and so the majority of them look crap and go back to their club with mixed reviews at best . A couple that spring to mind are that lad from Bristol city who’s doing well now in their first team and Seb Revan who most on here dismissed but has had a decent season on loan to Rotherham . We’d be far better trying to give our youngsters a go rather than just take other clubs developing players on .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 62
mimma
April 10, 2024, 3:20pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
The offside goal, Obikwu is stood still in an offside position, makes no attempt to move back to stay onside. I hope that our analytical team point it out to him, that you never stay still in the six yard area waiting. Shows a lack of awareness
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 62
LocalLadGTFC
April 10, 2024, 4:04pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,319
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from louth_in_the_south

The problem we as a L2 club have with these young lads on loan is that they’re so inexperienced we’re basically just giving them their first taste of men’s football. It’s a big deal for them to get to grips with and so the majority of them look crap and go back to their club with mixed reviews at best . A couple that spring to mind are that lad from Bristol city who’s doing well now in their first team and Seb Revan who most on here dismissed but has had a decent season on loan to Rotherham . We’d be far better trying to give our youngsters a go rather than just take other clubs developing players on .

Totally understand mate, but how many of these players have we seen go back and be good? The two you've mentioned, then you have Terry Taylor who looked like he'd never kicked a ball here and was sold for a million. I get why these players are signed because they're from these so called elite academies but it's all well and good having ability. There needs to be a happy medium of young players we give chances to and taking these young players on loan. We've had 3 young pro's every year I think for at least 10 years now and how many of them have we seen actually play reguarly?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 54 - 62
Limerick Mariner
April 10, 2024, 5:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,730
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from louth_in_the_south

We get Obikwu, Barrow get a wily old hard case in Cole Stockton - 7 goals in 12 games. Our best loans have been out of favour more experienced players or when clubs are trying to lighten the wage bills - like George Lloyd.

Something has to change that’s for certain.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 62
arryarryarry
April 10, 2024, 8:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from Abdul19
Tweet 1777784982284403094 will appear here...

Looks off from this angle

Yep, looks a great spot by the linesman.

If you pause it just after the header he is clearly offside
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 62
toontown
April 10, 2024, 8:56pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,274
Gold Stars: 70
Yeah hes offside. As he regularly is tbh (altho he is no Montel 'gender reveal' Gibson)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 62
TownSNAFU5
April 11, 2024, 11:45am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,908
Gold Stars: 42
Kaydn Jackson was also raw.  They usually develop over time though.  We have limited time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 62
Limerick Mariner
April 11, 2024, 5:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,730
Gold Stars: 138
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Kaydn Jackson was also raw.  They usually develop over time though.  We have limited time.

IMHO we get virtually feck all out of these very raw young loanees, they are just bodies in the squad. Especially at L2 level as opposed to NL. The loaning club and player get more out of it - it’s often their first experience of men’s football other than the odd sub appearance in the tinpot cup. They are just using us to get it.

It was the right strategy to get a bigger core squad on longer contracts in the close season but PH fecked it up by wrong choices - both in and out.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 62
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just Back on the Bus

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.