Grimal
April 7, 2024, 6:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,876
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from 140381
There’s a huge difference in “not liking” and absolutely hating. Dont think I’ve ever hated anyone I’ve worked for.

No me neither, hate is a very strong word ,perhaps the person that told you this exaggerated a little, I don't like brussel sprouts but wouldn't say I hate them .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 82
supertown
April 7, 2024, 6:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,467
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from crusty ole pie

Good I don’t want a manger who wants his best friends around him and all is lovey dovie I want a manager who gets the best from his players n
By demanding their best and if that takes throwing a chicken leg a tea cup or kicking a boot than so be it. Any player worth his salt accepts this

Klopp?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 82
Running like emson
April 7, 2024, 10:59pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / 0
Approval: +285
Gold Stars: 8
And this is the 'well done' thread: too many years of tinpot have taken their toll?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 82
WOZOFGRIMSBY
April 8, 2024, 10:35am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,969
Gold Stars: 181
Quoted from mariner91

There should be money available. The following players are out of contract or going back to their parent club:

Cartwright ❓
Smith ❓
Maher ❌
Glennon ❌
Amos ❌
Hume ✅
Khan ❌
Green ❓
Clifton ❓
Holohan ❌
Khouri ✅
Andrews ❌
Wood ❓
Ainley ✅
Eisa ❓
Gnahoua ❓
Obikwu ✅

Only seeing via the tele and not first hand, that’s how I call it. I think obikwu has grown into the squad/team. Cartwright I think he’s been good on the whole but, is there better available.

Eisa/Gnahoua I’d say they probably haven’t done enough, but on their day are very good. Just maybe not enough of those days.

Holohan seems to have lost a bit of pace from last season, Clifton I don’t think fits into artell’s plans maybe the same smith. Hunt is coming back from his loan too and from what I can recall DA says he has a chance.

Andrews I don’t think has been consistent enough when playing and the same maybe with Green (though looks like he’s getting some confidence)

Tharme, Hume and Thompson have been really good signings, which gives me a lot of confidence in DA’s ability in the transfer market.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 82
Poojah
April 8, 2024, 12:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,696
Gold Stars: 1,508
I’ve been a big Gav Holohan fan. He was a major and important improvement at a crucial time during our National League season, and he’s someone who’s associated with so many excellent memories - his thunderbolt against Chesterfield, his winner against Stockport on the Good Friday, his equaliser at the death at Meadow Lane, and those two, cool as ice penalties at Southampton. You can make one hell of a highlight reel from his time with us.

But, regrettably, he’s not pulled up many trees this season and when you consider that he’ll be 33 by Christmas, it’s hard to make a case that he’s likely to improve next season.

The key of course would be replacing him some someone of demonstrably greater ability, but Artell’s limited record in January is positive on that front. 5 signings - Thompson, Tharme and Hume have all unquestionably moved us forward, while Ubikwu has made positive contributions too and Smith hasn’t really had the chance to impress.

I think we have to twist on that one, and I think we will. Can’t say I won’t be a little sad to see him go if that indeed transpires - few players in recent memory have contributed the volume and significance of big moments in a Town shirt that Gav has.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 82
Meza
April 8, 2024, 4:54pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,647
Gold Stars: 50
we seem to have mainly ball winners or deep play makers, but which of our midfielders would you class as an attacking midifelder?  I dont see a midfielder in our squad that likes to attack.

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 82
toontown
April 8, 2024, 7:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,274
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Meza
we seem to have mainly ball winners or deep play makers, but which of our midfielders would you class as an attacking midifelder?  I dont see a midfielder in our squad that likes to attack.

Holohan who drives forward with the ball and also has a shot on him but has dreadful short passing ability and doesn't have the skill to beat players. To be honest his shooting has gone downhill this season anyway so isn't really a strength anymore.

He does have a bit of energy about him on the ball though, but I can't see him being here next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 82
Croxton
April 8, 2024, 7:51pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,021
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from Meza

Wood. So much so I would prefer him to Obikwu. When we go with two up top it's only Rose who occasionally drops into midfield to scrap for possession.Obikwu does not read the game and Wilson sees himself as playing off the shoulder. Wood, however is more likely to find 'pockets' and add tempo to our transition.

In Ireland, Wood had a couple of grafters behind him so he didn't need to do the dirty side so much. Bit like Orsi in that he is perhaps seen as a risk in tight games but then is thrown on in the dying embers to rescue the game.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 82
diehardmariner
April 9, 2024, 10:48am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,669
Gold Stars: 540
I don't think Wood is ready for League Two football though.  When he gets the time on the ball he genuinely looks to be a proper footballer, but he's far too inexperienced and lightweight.  Especially for a side battling at the wrong end of the table.   No doubt that he'll go onto have a decent career in the game but wrong time and situation here for him.

In terms of an attacking midfielder, we haven't really got one.  Ainley should be the standout one but there's obvious and very unfortunate reasons we've not seen enough of him.  I suspect we might see a little bit more in the final few games once safety is secured and then also next season too.

But for now, Green looks to the most attack minded.  He's played a bit more advanced lately and whilst technically his game is flawed he does seem quite decent at bursting onto balls and running through people.  Quite a few occasions on Saturday where he just bulldozed his way into decent positions.  Moving forward we'll need more than that but it seems to get the best out of him for now.
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 82
acko338
April 9, 2024, 7:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +44 / -6
Approval: +3,223
Gold Stars: 33
I personally believe that Mani D would have been an asset and was released too early.

Yes, his goals have been at one level.lower, but strikers who can shoot accurately have been scarce without Rose's input in his lone role this season.

Same thought process with Orsi, although he obviously wanted to return south.

Rose needs a roaming no 10 to get room for him and disrupt opponent defenders.

Who does he currently have for his knockdowns from headers?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 82
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Well done

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.