This thread currently has 9,380 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
99agrant
April 6, 2024, 10:43pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +128
Gold Stars: 4
That list just shows what a huge rebuilding job it is. And also how important it will be to stay in League 2 in order to attract the players we need
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 82
grimsby pete
April 6, 2024, 10:46pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,834
Gold Stars: 222
I am just pleased we won today the summer will take care of its self with loads of players leaving and another dozen or so coming in.

Let's hope they are an improvement because I like most town fans I  can not cope with another season struggling near the bottom.

I hope this win and clean sheet will give the players a bit of confidence for the remaining games.

Special mention to Eastwood just one goal from a pen in two games keep it up lad.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 82
HertsGTFC
April 6, 2024, 10:53pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,991
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from mariner91

There should be money available. The following players are out of contract or going back to their parent club:

Cartwright
Smith
Maher
Glennon
Amos
Hume
Khan
Green
Clifton
Holohan
Khouri
Andrews
Wood
Ainley
Eisa
Gnahoua
Obikwu

Plus we lost Waterfall in January who I would expect was one of our highest earners and I doubt Tharme is on anywhere near as much. Furthermore, players like Pyke who have not had a look in could well be told they can leave. And which of those out of contract players would you keep? None of the defenders, maybe Clifton but not for centre mid cause he’s not up to it. Maybe Khouri and Ainley? I wouldn’t be bothered about keeping Eisa personally as he does literally nothing off the ball. So we’re losing potentially some of the higher earners and fortunately are keeping the ones you’d definitely want to keep: Tharme, Rose, Thompson, Vernam. Money will be available purely because so many players will likely be leaving. If we can’t get better value for money than this squad with the attendances we get then God help us.

Agree, to be honest I’m not too bothered about any of the signed players staying though I’d be amazed if Clifton doesn’t get offered a deal just because of his squad versatility & the local factor.

None of the loanees will be back but I think Andrews & Cartwright will go on to have careers in the game.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 82
Heisenberg
April 6, 2024, 11:02pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +5,099
Gold Stars: 95
Quoted from mariner91

There should be money available. The following players are out of contract or going back to their parent club:

Cartwright
Smith
Maher
Glennon
Amos
Hume
Khan
Green
Clifton
Holohan
Khouri
Andrews
Wood
Ainley
Eisa
Gnahoua
Obikwu

Plus we lost Waterfall in January who I would expect was one of our highest earners and I doubt Tharme is on anywhere near as much. Furthermore, players like Pyke who have not had a look in could well be told they can leave. And which of those out of contract players would you keep? None of the defenders, maybe Clifton but not for centre mid cause he’s not up to it. Maybe Khouri and Ainley? I wouldn’t be bothered about keeping Eisa personally as he does literally nothing off the ball. So we’re losing potentially some of the higher earners and fortunately are keeping the ones you’d definitely want to keep: Tharme, Rose, Thompson, Vernam. Money will be available purely because so many players will likely be leaving. If we can’t get better value for money than this squad with the attendances we get then God help us.

Not quite right. Khouri signed a 3-year deal last summer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 82
RichMariner
April 6, 2024, 11:06pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,161
Gold Stars: 211
I think part of Artell's remit is to develop and integrate more youngsters into the side.

Feels like Khouri has been on the verge for about 2-3 seasons now. Once again, managers haven't played him and instead signed loanees like Andrews & Wood and he's been behind Clifton, Green and Holohan and, to some degree, Hunt and Ainley.

I really hope he's a talent but to be honest I really don't know. I feel for him because at no point has he been given a run in the side. Hurst and Artell just haven't trusted him.

If we secure safety with a couple of games to go I'd love to see some of our young prospects given some game time. It used to frustrate me that Hurst would never use dead rubbers in this way (not that he had many). He played Jamie Bramwell in that 4-4 draw at Eastleigh but used just two subs that day and ignored Tomlinson, Braithwaite and Khouri, instead bringing on Raikhy and Abrahams.

I'm sure Artell's 'Crewe' style and belief in the youth system was a major part in why he was appointed.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 24 - 82
Poojah
April 6, 2024, 11:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,727
Gold Stars: 1,508
The best run Khouri has had was 3 years ago when he played 6 straight games towards the end of the season when we went down. Odd that he’s still here but hasn’t really had a sniff since.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 82
April 6, 2024, 11:14pm
Guest User
I have a feeling Clifton will move to Shrewsbury.
Reply: 26 - 82
Poojah
April 6, 2024, 11:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,727
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from 140381
I have a feeling Clifton will move to Shrewsbury.

Nice area but one hell of a commute.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 82
forza ivano
April 6, 2024, 11:22pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,281
Gold Stars: 266
In all honesty if we survive we are going to need another 12-15 players who match the level of tharme , thompson n rose. Clifton n green ( who has improved massively under artell imho) are fine.you could add Smith n hume to that list, but I dont think they will stay. Ainley n khouri are more than good enough, but I couldnt give a tinkers cuss about the rest of them
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 82
Captain Sensible
April 7, 2024, 12:11am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Approval: +178
Gold Stars: 5
Just what we need.  When the squad are battling to keep us in the league, let's have a thread telling them that we're not bothered if most of then leave,  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 82
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Well done

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.