IlkleyMariner
April 6, 2024, 8:16pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,039
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from RonMariner
strange isn't it how players who at times this season have been described as totally useless have come good recently; Rodgers, Mullarkey, Green and now Eastwood. Maybe it's a confidence thing, or maybe it's finding the best role for the outfield players. But whatever has happened they have been turned around at some point so maybe the manager and coaching staff deserve some credit. Maybe we had round pegs in square holes previously.

I was thinking the same thing as above. At a different level, Potchitino at Chelsea has taken almost a full season to work out which of his 40 or so multimillion pound players fit whatever role he wants them to play. They have just run into some form now he has worked out who he wants and how they play…
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 82
Maringer
April 6, 2024, 8:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,666
Gold Stars: 189
Eastwood perhaps more confident playing behind a back 5? Teams generally haven't got in down the side or behind us as much as they did when we were playing as more of a back four.

He's not put a foot wrong since he came back into the team. Hopefully, not tempting fate there!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 82
Yoda
April 6, 2024, 8:25pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,189
Gold Stars: 72
Well done great result and other results going forward.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 82
arryarryarry
April 6, 2024, 8:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,040
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from jimgtfc

Is it not just a bit pantomime? No big deal in my opinion.

Well, more applauded him thankfully, Yes cheer when he makes a member up but to boo him as he comes onto the pitch Is a bit pathetic for me.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 82
toontown
April 6, 2024, 8:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,274
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from It Bites

I think you’re onto something but the midfield needs some attention and obviously another gK and striker

Don't be lulled into complacency, the defence needs work too, it's great that we have found a way to make the defence work, which is a back 5, but we can't continue like that. Loads to do all over the pitch tbh regardless of if we are able to breathe a sigh of relief at the end of the season, which I would think we probably will be able to do now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 82
HertsGTFC
April 6, 2024, 9:02pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,991
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from toontown

Don't be lulled into complacency, the defence needs work too, it's great that we have found a way to make the defence work, which is a back 5, but we can't continue like that. Loads to do all over the pitch tbh regardless of if we are able to breathe a sigh of relief at the end of the season, which I would think we probably will be able to do now.

Think the defence can play, they just need to work on how to defend as a unit, and maybe a couple of defenders in the squad behind them pushing for a first team shirt, definitely not enough competition at CB this season.

For his age Eastwood hasn’t played many first team games, maybe we’re the club who develops him to fulfill the potential we saw when he was here on loan.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 82
April 6, 2024, 9:02pm
Guest User
Quoted from arryarryarry
Was going to say the same, it showed the players that if they put the effort in the fans will back them.

The only disappointment for me were the morons in the Upper Findus who booed Bogle when he came on and then during the game.

I just don't get why ex players get so much stick especially as he made a big contribution to us getting promoted.

I heard someone behind me scream “Why are you clapping this tw@t? JUDAS!”

I mean, Christ. Literally.
Reply: 16 - 82
mariner91
April 6, 2024, 9:20pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,744
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Think the defence can play, they just need to work on how to defend as a unit, and maybe a couple of defenders in the squad behind them pushing for a first team shirt, definitely not enough competition at CB this season.

For his age Eastwood hasn’t played many first team games, maybe we’re the club who develops him to fulfill the potential we saw when he was here on loan.

Definitely not. This is still the same side that conceded some pathetic goals within the last 8 days. We’re tighter than we were before but we can’t go a whole season with so little goal threat that we never score more than once a game. Tharme is a good signing and I’d be happy with him starting next season. But realistically if we were to go back to a back four then we’d need three new first team defenders with Mullarkey and Rodgers as back up. And a new first choice keeper. Eastwood has done well since coming back in but you can’t have a first choice keeper who loses confidence so easily.

I think some of our fans get misty eyed every time we put in a half decent performance. The reality is that we’re still 21st in L2 and still might not get over 50 points. The squad needs major surgery in the summer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 82
HertsGTFC
April 6, 2024, 10:10pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,991
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from mariner91

Definitely not. This is still the same side that conceded some pathetic goals within the last 8 days. We’re tighter than we were before but we can’t go a whole season with so little goal threat that we never score more than once a game. Tharme is a good signing and I’d be happy with him starting next season. But realistically if we were to go back to a back four then we’d need three new first team defenders with Mullarkey and Rodgers as back up. And a new first choice keeper. Eastwood has done well since coming back in but you can’t have a first choice keeper who loses confidence so easily.

I think some of our fans get misty eyed every time we put in a half decent performance. The reality is that we’re still 21st in L2 and still might not get over 50 points. The squad needs major surgery in the summer.

I’m not getting misty eyed as I have to travel 260 miles to watch the garbage we’ve seen.

I agree major surgery is required but we won’t have major funding to do it so Artell will have to work with what he’s got and many supporters might just have to manage expectations, this will take another couple of seasons to look like anything decent.

The issue is the midfield and finding someone up front to compliment Rose.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 82
mariner91
April 6, 2024, 10:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,744
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I’m not getting misty eyed as I have to travel 260 miles to watch the garbage we’ve seen.

I agree major surgery is required but we won’t have major funding to do it so Artell will have to work with what he’s got and many supporters might just have to manage expectations, this will take another couple of seasons to look like anything decent.

The issue is the midfield and finding someone up front to compliment Rose.

There should be money available. The following players are out of contract or going back to their parent club:

Cartwright
Smith
Maher
Glennon
Amos
Hume
Khan
Green
Clifton
Holohan
Khouri
Andrews
Wood
Ainley
Eisa
Gnahoua
Obikwu

Plus we lost Waterfall in January who I would expect was one of our highest earners and I doubt Tharme is on anywhere near as much. Furthermore, players like Pyke who have not had a look in could well be told they can leave. And which of those out of contract players would you keep? None of the defenders, maybe Clifton but not for centre mid cause he’s not up to it. Maybe Khouri and Ainley? I wouldn’t be bothered about keeping Eisa personally as he does literally nothing off the ball. So we’re losing potentially some of the higher earners and fortunately are keeping the ones you’d definitely want to keep: Tharme, Rose, Thompson, Vernam. Money will be available purely because so many players will likely be leaving. If we can’t get better value for money than this squad with the attendances we get then God help us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 82
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Well done

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.