LocalLadGTFC
April 2, 2024, 10:49pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,307
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from Maringer
We'd have to rely on somebody else to do most of his defending, though. I suppose if Khouri was fit enough, he could perhaps play on the left of a midfield 3 to do this role (he's played left-back, I seem to think?), but I'm not convinced that Andrews is quite quick enough to do the same, though I don't think he's too bad a player.

You see it in a lot of sides, you attack with a formation and defend in a different one. You play with 5 to allow your wing backs to get involved, you could quite easily shuffle across when he's going forward and set up as a 4. It'd make us less one dimensional, against Barrow Ben Whitfield was doing the exact same at left wing back and he's a winger, he was that direct that Clifton was so worried about what was going the other way he couldn't get forward.

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 40 - 48
wiggers
April 2, 2024, 10:52pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: +469
Gold Stars: 11
Glennon is better in a 5. If he comes into the side Saturday he will be fine. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 48
Marinerdeano
April 3, 2024, 8:37am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +467
Gold Stars: 27
Are we also in a position where we could recall Amos?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 48
diehardmariner
April 3, 2024, 9:24am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,651
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from Hagrid

Glennon first and foremost is a defender who cant defend. doesnt surprise me that he hasnt been involved

Even in the absence of any other defenders on the bench?
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 48
Mikey_345
April 3, 2024, 9:26am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +5,502
Gold Stars: 107
Hume isn’t poor, but looks like a player that’s been out a while and is taking time to get to previous standards.

Glennon, I’m a massive fan of his, the change of formations may help the defensive frailties but I firmly believe he’s one of the best deliverers of a ball I’ve seen in this league. Open play ball (specifically on an overlap) is better than dead ball but I’d like to see him given a shot to get up the pitch and get some decent service into the front two.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 48
neverapen
April 3, 2024, 4:46pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.58
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +124
Gold Stars: 1
I think generally Hume has done pretty well since he arrived but he has been off the boil the past couple of games. What he has also brought is a bit of competition for Glennon. Assuming that Glennon comes in on Sat, I'm intrigued to see how he performs, the wing back position could really suit his game and we have really lacked some of the quality balls on corners / free kick that he's capable on his day. Glennon hasn't had the best year, first with his personal stuff and then the car crash, so I'm routing for him on Sat.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 48
Northbank Mariner
April 3, 2024, 5:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,528
Gold Stars: 172
I like Hume, but its got a taste of the Emmanuel thing written all over it.
Comes down a level, plays well(occasionally) and refuses a new deal with the hope of going higher....basically shoved himself in the shop window
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 48
diehardmariner
April 4, 2024, 9:31am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,651
Gold Stars: 539
Glennon came back in in their first game under the caretakers and looked much more like his loan version from 2020.  Faster, stronger, better with the ball, even better defending. That continued until the New Year time under Artell when he, like most of the defence, just forgot how to defend and he regressed.

There's a player in there, a real hell of a player.   Challenge is getting out of him consistently, that he's failed to do it so far is why he's found himself out the side of a struggling fourth tier outfit.

Absolutely unsold on Hume.  Moments where he shows his pedigree and you can see he's operated at a much higher standard.  Then he looks completely lost and out of place.  In many ways just a more recent version of Glennon.  I don't think for a second that he'll be here after the summer and I'm really not bothered about that.

He wasn't a world beater but I think we discarded Danny Amos too quickly.  He was just steady, dependable without any frills.  He's arguably back at his natural level in the fifth tier but it's not like we're operating much above that at the minute is it?

We've failed to have a decent left-back on a consistent basis since 16/17 with Danny Andrew.  That's embarrassing really and isn't another position where we've suffered so badly.
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 48
IlkleyMariner
April 4, 2024, 10:27am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +3,036
Gold Stars: 69
I understand that Hume has his critics, but I quite like him.
Presumably he will be available for Harrogate away next Tuesday, but misses Newport.

What’s the problem with Clifton? Is he injured? If fit I’d play him as left back in a 3-4-2-1. Otherwise Glennon if fit or Khouri.

We do not need to recall Amos even if it’s possible.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 48
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Hume Red Card

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.