Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › JS where are you.!!!!
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

JS where are you.!!!!

This thread currently has 13,739 views. Print
19 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
Northbank Mariner
April 2, 2024, 4:25pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,526
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from jamesgtfc

It's 3 years since they took over in May, and we could be back where we started under them. After all the investment, and a decent windfall from the cup last season, it's desperately sad to see us failing like this.

Absolutely correct but it's 3 years of inexperience of owning a football club too!!..
From what I can see they have invested so much time, effort and money to sort the whole shebang out after the years of neglect that is legacy left by JSF.
You cannot blame them for this shitshow of a squad, that lies at the feet of the messiah PH and the whole debacle that has ensued.
They tried to get the best manager that they believed, after advice, information and references, could take the club forward.
Now, where they did balls up was telling a manager who he had to work with, that had to have removed quite a few names out of the mixing pot imo, and I wouldn't be surprised to find Artell was one of the few(perhaps only one) that was prepared to work within that framework.
So ultimately I cannot blame the owners or the board, as to why we are in the excrement. They allowed Hurst to spunk money on a shower of crud, a man they trusted abd unfortunately sold them down the river.
Mistakes are made, you learn from them, and I expect the owners and the board to learn from the appoint process they have got wrong with Artell, not the man, but the long winded, protracted process.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 160 - 182
MuddyWaters
April 2, 2024, 4:35pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,281
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Absolutely correct but it's 3 years of inexperience of owning a football club too!!..
From what I can see they have invested so much time, effort and money to sort the whole shebang out after the years of neglect that is legacy left by JSF.
You cannot blame them for this shitshow of a squad, that lies at the feet of the messiah PH and the whole debacle that has ensued.
They tried to get the best manager that they believed, after advice, information and references, could take the club forward.
Now, where they did balls up was telling a manager who he had to work with, that had to have removed quite a few names out of the mixing pot imo, and I wouldn't be surprised to find Artell was one of the few(perhaps only one) that was prepared to work within that framework.
So ultimately I cannot blame the owners or the board, as to why we are in the excrement. They allowed Hurst to spunk money on a shower of crud, a man they trusted abd unfortunately sold them down the river.
Mistakes are made, you learn from them, and I expect the owners and the board to learn from the appoint process they have got wrong with Artell, not the man, but the long winded, protracted process.

I’ve no doubt that they have credits in the bank but your description of what has happened sounds much like what Fenty would have got pilloried for.
Private Message
Reply: 161 - 182
nealeardleyscrossing
April 2, 2024, 4:55pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: -306
Gold Stars: 4
Clearly, and understandably lots of emotion on here at the minute.
I get that, I do think you will be safe, I think you will get enough points, just.

I know there is lots of comparison on here being drawn, but Lincoln and Grimsby are very different places at the moment.

I can see why your owners are doing what they are doing, but I think you generally need to get more decisions right than wrong, and I think at the moment you may have made more wrong decisions. I would argue we have more football savvy people in key positions at the club.  Artell was also a safe decision in my opinion, whereas, teams like, say, Ipswich, Hull, Lincoln have gone for more dynamic appointments and are reaping the rewards - I also think you have to be decisive, Artell probably should have gone, we let Kennedy go, when clearly it was not working out.

We also have continuity, same Chief executive, same Director of football, and we have built and developed links with clubs both local and wider and helped them (with loans) which in turn has helped us get their best players if able to step up.

I also think the biggest trick you have missed is the training ground - Our training facilities enable us to get better players, but also importantly, clubs loan us their better players, in the last few years we have had Brennan Johnson, Morgan Rogers and Whittaker on loan (Prized assets) - This has been a huge help. I would have invested everything you made from your cup run in a training ground, as they do not come around very often.

I am convinced you will be safe - But what I would say is better decisions need to be made, players, structure, Manager, etc moving forward.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 162 - 182
Gaffer58
April 2, 2024, 5:16pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
I find it quite amusing the number of people on here blaming Hurst for signing donkeys in the summer, but if anyone is bored then they can go back to the summer and look at the recruitment page and see how many people kept saying “ in Hurst we trust” when it came to his signings.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 163 - 182
bawarmy
April 2, 2024, 5:21pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.25
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +2,020
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from Gaffer58
I find it quite amusing the number of people on here blaming Hurst for signing donkeys in the summer, but if anyone is bored then they can go back to the summer and look at the recruitment page and see how many people kept saying “ in Hurst we trust” when it came to his signings.

Not me. And Hurst let his own ego get in the way of signing Ryan Bennett. We wouldn't be where we are with Bennett in rather than a few I could mention.
I'll always be grateful for the good times Paul Hurst gave us, but I do think some, if not most of the blame is on him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 164 - 182
LocalLadGTFC
April 2, 2024, 5:34pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,319
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from bawarmy

Not me. And Hurst let his own ego get in the way of signing Ryan Bennett. We wouldn't be where we are with Bennett in rather than a few I could mention.
I'll always be grateful for the good times Paul Hurst gave us, but I do think some, if not most of the blame is on him.

I got belted on here for saying Bennett wanted to sign, he was all but signed until a disagreement... he very much wants to be back at the football club and i'm sure it'll be something revisited. A centre half partnership of Tharme and Bennett would be a very good one at this level.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 165 - 182
sam gy
April 2, 2024, 6:24pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Gaffer58

Fair enough to trust an experienced manager though isn’t it? Especially as across the years with us generally his recruitment was decent.

Doesn’t mean we can’t then criticise when it clearly was not good enough.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 166 - 182
Northbank Mariner
April 2, 2024, 6:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,526
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I’ve no doubt that they have credits in the bank but your description of what has happened sounds much like what Fenty would have got pilloried for.

Hardly correct, I used the word investment, one word that made Fenty spit blood and come out in a nervous, sweaty rash..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 167 - 182
chaos33
April 2, 2024, 7:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,992
Gold Stars: 362
Clearly, and understandably lots of emotion on here at the minute.
I get that, I do think you will be safe, I think you will get enough points, just.

I know there is lots of comparison on here being drawn, but Lincoln and Grimsby are very different places at the moment.

I can see why your owners are doing what they are doing, but I think you generally need to get more decisions right than wrong, and I think at the moment you may have made more wrong decisions. I would argue we have more football savvy people in key positions at the club.  Artell was also a safe decision in my opinion, whereas, teams like, say, Ipswich, Hull, Lincoln have gone for more dynamic appointments and are reaping the rewards - I also think you have to be decisive, Artell probably should have gone, we let Kennedy go, when clearly it was not working out.

We also have continuity, same Chief executive, same Director of football, and we have built and developed links with clubs both local and wider and helped them (with loans) which in turn has helped us get their best players if able to step up.

I also think the biggest trick you have missed is the training ground - Our training facilities enable us to get better players, but also importantly, clubs loan us their better players, in the last few years we have had Brennan Johnson, Morgan Rogers and Whittaker on loan (Prized assets) - This has been a huge help. I would have invested everything you made from your cup run in a training ground, as they do not come around very often.

I am convinced you will be safe - But what I would say is better decisions need to be made, players, structure, Manager, etc moving forward.

Yeah cheers for that advice. Wouldn’t have occurred to me, on my own, that you ‘need to get more decisions right than you get wrong’.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 168 - 182
rancido
April 2, 2024, 7:46pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,651
Gold Stars: 100
Quoted from sam gy
The biggest mistake the owners have made so far is trusting Paul Hurst in the summer transfer window, which has to go down as one of our worst ever taking into account the better budget, the payers signed, and the players let go.

Interestingly, Jason in one interview touched on the fact that Hurst was NOT massively on board with the introduction of more data driven recruitment and instead opted for his own more old school way. They trusted him regardless of it being their preferred way of working....maybe they should've stood up to him more.

The owners of any club have a manager plus some form of scouting system to identify, quantify and then get the players needed to perform. They have no need to find players because they employ people to do that. Does the MD of a factory or chemical plant find fitters, operatives or warehouse staff  or does he trust his Department Managers and HR Manager to do that?

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 169 - 182
19 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › JS where are you.!!!!

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.