Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › When Artell goes who do you want next.?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

When Artell goes who do you want next.?

This thread currently has 9,873 views. Print
13 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
arryarryarry
February 22, 2024, 2:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,036
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Maringer

He's of an age where he would have been watching Buckley's teams in his teens/early 20s, (as was I). I was always proud that we were known for playing some really good football and you have to say that the fact we were able to keep ourselves in the 2nd tier for so many years was pretty remarkable, given the size of the club. I'm certain that 'The Grimsby Way' was referring to the Buckley (Mk. I & II) years.

Buckley brought in the right type of player who could play the way he wanted, but it wasn't always tip tap football, we moved the ball quickly with players like Childs and Gilbert, we had midfielders who could charge through the middle such as Cockerill and Cunnington.

Sadly we are unlikely to see such players again playing for us but the real sad fact is if the owners are wanting that brand of football again then they are going to have to dig deep into their pockets and if they thought Artell is the man to do it with our current squad then they are deluded.
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 123
1mickylyons
February 22, 2024, 2:56pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,387
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from arryarryarry

Buckley brought in the right type of player who could play the way he wanted, but it wasn't always tip tap football, we moved the ball quickly with players like Childs and Gilbert, we had midfielders who could charge through the middle such as Cockerill and Cunnington.

Sadly we are unlikely to see such players again playing for us but the real sad fact is if the owners are wanting that brand of football again then they are going to have to dig deep into their pockets and if they thought Artell is the man to do it with our current squad then they are deluded.

Buckley generally had two good CBs and a decent Keeper
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 123
Maringer
February 22, 2024, 4:02pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,560
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from arryarryarry

It was an expansive style of play which relied on the wide men to be heavily involved because we rarely had any high-scoring forwards. The strikers were there as often as not to act as the foil for the onrushing midfielders/wingers. It was still good football, however, in the era when most teams had big lumps up front and tended to play percentage stuff. We never got close to winning any of the divisions we were in, even the seasons when we won promotion, which shows that it didn't always work, but we had enough ability to play some good stuff and earn plenty of good results.

I've said in the past that the increased size and physicality of players these days means that there is less room on the pitch for good football, but you still need to try. Our problem at the moment is that we don't seem to have the players who can consistently play to a high enough level, especially when the opposition is playing an up and at 'em style. Too much panic, too few accurate passes - even the simplest of passes are going wildly astray at the moment which must be down to the players not coping with the pressure.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 123
mariner91
February 22, 2024, 5:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,666
Gold Stars: 262
If you were to ask the rest of the footballing world after the last 20 years then they'd probably say that the "Grimsby way" is being shite. So in that respect, Artell has got us there in record time.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 123
ginnywings
February 22, 2024, 6:17pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,147
Gold Stars: 548
The last 20 years has been mostly turgid crap, and unsuccessful to boot, so I am all for going in a different direction, but it seems the transition is going to be very painful, and so far, it doesn't look like we have the correct management in place to achieve it.

Hope to God this changes, and soon.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 123
Mappers
February 22, 2024, 9:19pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,340
Gold Stars: 119
Tweet 1760718640360427626 will appear here...

Would be half tempted - good contacts, old school manager  . Done a good job with Torquay who have been /are in a right mess .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 123
Poojah
February 22, 2024, 9:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,605
Gold Stars: 1,503
Quoted from Mappers

Would be half tempted - good contacts, old school manager  . Done a good job with Torquay who have been /are in a right mess .

In his 11 gigs in management, the most northern club he’s been at is Peterborough*.

*With the exception of Latvia, which doesn’t count on the grounds that it contradicts my argument

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 123
Mappers
February 22, 2024, 9:32pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,340
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from Poojah

In his 11 gigs in management, the most northern club he’s been at is Peterborough*.

*With the exception of Latvia, which doesn’t count on the grounds that it contradicts my argument

Just had a quick look at the backstory there , their fans hate him possibly more than some's dislike for Artell - it's a no

Feel for Torquay sounds like their club might go .  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 123
GrimPol
February 22, 2024, 9:35pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -674
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from Mappers

Would be half tempted - good contacts, old school manager . Done a good job with Torquay who have been /are in a right mess .

Problem might be that an old school manager might not like to work with/under/side by a young laptop operator telling him what to do, and how to recruit.  Perhaps DA was the only one willing to work under these circumstances, as he had been out of work for 18 months. A kind of reluctant "Moneyball"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 123
GrimPol
February 22, 2024, 10:33pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -674
Gold Stars: 69
I bet Stockwood regrets the day he said the Grimsby way.

To be fair I think he just meant they wanted to get away from the turgid football Hurst was serving up week after week and give the fans some excitement.

No one can deny its not been exciting, with plenty of goals but sadly nearly all for the opposition.

Their reputation has taken a bit of a beating, but I still cling on to the hope Artell can turn it round starting Saturday.

but I still cling on to the hope Artell can turn it round starting Saturday. Yes that's me as well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 123
13 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › When Artell goes who do you want next.?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.