January 17, 2024, 3:19pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
The last of Us
9/10

20 years after modern civilization has been destroyed, Joel, a hardened survivor, is hired to smuggle Ellie, a 14-year-old girl, out of an oppressive quarantine zone. What starts as a small job soon becomes a brutal heartbreaking journey as they both must traverse the U.S. and depend on each other for survival.

There are all sorts of post apocalyptic survival series and films out there and some may argue too many, especially poor ones. However, done well I find they always peak my interest.
This is done extremely well in my view and in Bella Ramsey and Pedro Pescal have two actors to carry it off. It’s not perfect and if you want to find fault I’m sure you could but we absolutely loved it.
If you liked The Walking Dead, The Road, Children of Men, News of the World, Legend and 28 days Later then I’d imagine this will appeal to you.
One of the episodes in particular was absolutely brilliant and a real surprise.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 310 - 318
Maringer
January 17, 2024, 5:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,642
Gold Stars: 189
The new series of True Detective with Jodie Foster is reportedly very good, or at least it has received excellent reviews.

Might have to wait until all episodes are available to binge watch it, however.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 311 - 318
Sandford1981
January 17, 2024, 5:23pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
The new series of True Detective with Jodie Foster is reportedly very good, or at least it has received excellent reviews.

That’s what I’m doing for sure! Made that mistake with Slow Horses and will not be doing so again.

Private Message
Reply: 312 - 318
Manchester Mariner
January 17, 2024, 7:28pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,822
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from Maringer

It seems to be a modern phenomenon to be unable to wait a week for another episode of a TV show. I watched the 1st episode of the new True Detective early this week and it really peaked my curiosity so looking forward to next week. It might be just the freezing location but it has a similar feel to Fortitude which ended up going a bit batshit crazy.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 313 - 318
Maringer
January 17, 2024, 8:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Manchester Mariner

It seems to be a modern phenomenon to be unable to wait a week for another episode of a TV show.

Nope. I've just been diagnosed with a type of epilepsy which is affecting my memory. I can't remember hardly anything about most of the TV shows or films I watched in 2023. If I can 'binge' a series over a couple of weeks, I'll be able to follow it more closely without having to read a recap of the previous episodes on Wikipedia!

I also don't really remember much about GTFC games from earlier in the season which is weird, as I used to be able to remember goals scored and results pretty well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 314 - 318
Manchester Mariner
January 17, 2024, 9:46pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,822
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from Maringer

Nope. I've just been diagnosed with a type of epilepsy which is affecting my memory. I can't remember hardly anything about most of the TV shows or films I watched in 2023. If I can 'binge' a series over a couple of weeks, I'll be able to follow it more closely without having to read a recap of the previous episodes on Wikipedia!

Sorry to hear that Maringer. I appreciate that 'binging' is ideal given your diagnosis. I still maintain binging to generally be a modern phenomenon for people unable to wait a week mind. I can't remember anyone in the past taping whole series on the VHS and only watching in full once the series was complete.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 315 - 318
Maringer
January 18, 2024, 8:16am
Barley Wine Drinker
Yeah, I did used to enjoy sitting down once a week to watch a new episode of a show and, to be fair, we did this with the final series of Ted Lasso, I think. Can't remember much about it other than that we enjoyed it!

There is almost too much choice these days with all the streaming available (we subscribe to almost all of the streaming services).

Thw one thing about the memory issue is that I can probably watch good shows/films again and still enjoy them! I used to remember what was going to happen in general so couldn't be bothered.

I watched The Last of Us and enjoyed it, but can't remember much about the show. Might have to binge watch it before the next series comes out!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 316 - 318
Sandford1981
January 18, 2024, 9:56am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Manchester Mariner

Sorry to hear that Maringer. I appreciate that 'binging' is ideal given your diagnosis. I still maintain binging to generally be a modern phenomenon for people unable to wait a week mind. I can't remember anyone in the past taping whole series on the VHS and only watching in full once the series was complete.

I’m quite capable of waiting a week to watch a programme  but I definitely would prefer not to.
I think it’s more the fact than an hour just isn’t long enough  and by the time you’ve sat down it’s gone by in a flash.
Perhaps because I watch a ridiculous amount of films (more than I rate on the film thread) I’ve inadvertently conditioned myself to want at least the length of a feature film to quench my thirst.

Private Message
Reply: 317 - 318
Les Brechin
January 18, 2024, 4:52pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,717
Gold Stars: 174
Quoted from Sandford1981

Have you watched this yet Les?

No, not yet, hopefully get time over this weekend.

OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 318 - 318
32 Pages Prev ... 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › TV Times

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.