Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › TV Times
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 7 Guests

TV Times

This thread currently has 14,340 views. Print
32 Pages Prev ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 Next All Recommend Thread
Sandford1981
December 16, 2023, 8:20am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Secret State
8/10

Secret State explores the relationship between a democratically elected government, big business and the banks.

The cast is very strong for this mini series and reads like a who is who of British talent. This combined with the subject matter was right up my street. It’s from 2012 and I’m not sure how I missed it back then but I’m glad I took the time to watch it now. I think it would have been beneficial for it to be 6 episodes rather than the 4 and it’s far from perfect, but it’s still very good nonetheless.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 290 - 318
Sandford1981
December 29, 2023, 1:18pm
Fine Wine Drinker
9.5/10

The next installment of the Yellowstone origin story introduces a new generation of the Dutton family and explores the early twentieth century when pandemics, historic drought, the end of Prohibition, and the Great Depression all plague the Mountain West, and the Duttons who call it home.

Yellowstone is one of my favourite TV shows ever and the first origin story 1883 had me similarly hooked throughout. I have to admit I wasn’t overly enamoured for the first 90 minutes of 1923 but thereafter I was once again captivated.
As with the other shows the scenery is stunning and is a character in and of itself but as usual the casting is on point. I don’t know what the second season has in store for him but I really like Timothy Dalton as power mad and deviant money man.
I’d recommend this if you enjoyed any of the other related series, Hatfield’s and McCoys, Godless or / and Boardwalk Empire.

Private Message
Reply: 291 - 318
Sandford1981
January 5, 2024, 7:36pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Mr Bates vs The Post Office
9.5/10

One of the greatest miscarriages of justice in British legal history where hundreds of innocent sub-postmasters and postmistresses were wrongly accused of theft, fraud and false accounting due to a defective IT system.

I have just finished this and I thought it was bloody brilliant. I cannot escape the anger and frustration it leaves me with and so it is somewhat bittersweet. The torment thrust upon the ordinary folk involved which continues to this day absolutely disgusts me. Sadly it doesn’t shock me and is another huge miscarriage of ‘Justice’ in which the little people are shat on by the establishment. Lies, lies and more lies stretched out over an unforgivingly long period and yet no no convictions. Sounds all too familiar unfortunately.
Thank god for the Alan Bates of this world!

Private Message
Reply: 292 - 318
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
January 5, 2024, 10:07pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.85
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,831
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from Sandford1981
9.5/10

One of the greatest miscarriages of justice in British legal history where hundreds of innocent sub-postmasters and postmistresses were wrongly accused of theft, fraud and false accounting due to a defective IT system.

I have just finished this and I thought it was bloody brilliant. I cannot escape the anger and frustration it leaves me with and so it is somewhat bittersweet. The torment thrust upon the ordinary folk involved which continues to this day absolutely disgusts me. Sadly it doesn’t shock me and is another huge miscarriage of ‘Justice’ in which the little people are shat on by the establishment. Lies, lies and more lies stretched out over an unforgivingly long period and yet no no convictions. Sounds all too familiar unfortunately.

It’s disgusting. Just binge-watched the four episodes.

All sponsored by…Direct Line… who are guilty of overcharging customers.

But let’s all blame immigrants and WFH.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 293 - 318
Maringer
January 5, 2024, 11:00pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,642
Gold Stars: 189
A good comment from Dan Neidle on twitter about the Post Office scandal:

Tweet 1742918833600684044 will appear here...

The issue isn't so much that the IT system failed (and it did so, terribly), it's that the Post Office ignored all the many indicators that there were problems, hid information which raised any doubts, refused to investigate properly, prosecuted the victims and then covered their arses for decades afterwards.

The executives who behaved in this manner should face prosecution themselves.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 294 - 318
Manchester Mariner
January 5, 2024, 11:10pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,822
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from Sandford1981
9.5/10

Watched the first episode late last night and binged the other 3 tonight, what a way to spend a Friday night. Brilliant stuff if constantly making you furious but that's the reality of the regular worker v the corporation then again there's the reality of when people get organised and come together. It's truly scary how some people can feel so besotted with the 'corporate brand' to ignore, deny and kick into the grass peoples lives being ruined and in some of the cases lives ended.

Whilst this has brought more attention to the huge miscarriage of justice I still don't think it's enough. People like to throw about 'waste of taxpayers money' about things, usually to further their own agendas, but this is the epitome of waste of taxpayers money.

Brilliant but furious.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 295 - 318
Sandford1981
January 8, 2024, 9:55am
Fine Wine Drinker
Fool Me Once
6.5/10

Follows Maya Stern who is trying to come to terms with the brutal murder of her husband, Joe. But when Maya installs a nanny-cam to keep an eye on her young daughter, she is shocked to see a man she recognises in her house. Her husband, who she thought was dead... Detective Sergeant Sami Kierce leads the homicide investigation into Joe's death while grappling with secrets of his own.

My better half persuaded me to watch this (it had nothing to do with Michelle Keegan honest).

It had a good cast and I really like Adeel Akhtar so thought fair enough as she watched Mr Bates vs The Post Office. Imagine the selling I had to do in that conversation!
‘Fancy watching a glossy and good looking murder mystery drama starring Michelle Keegan and the old barmaid from Emmerdale that you had a thing for Rick?’
‘Sorry love but I must insist we watch this Toby Jones drama?’
‘Oh what’s it about?’
‘It’s about post office workers!’

Anyway it’s overly long, not as clever as it thinks it is and has a excrement ending. It did just enough for me to not jack it in but that’s not saying much. There are far better series out there. This was ok!

Private Message
Reply: 296 - 318
Maringer
January 8, 2024, 11:14am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Sandford1981
Fool Me Once
6.5/10

Follows Maya Stern who is trying to come to terms with the brutal murder of her husband, Joe. But when Maya installs a nanny-cam to keep an eye on her young daughter, she is shocked to see a man she recognises in her house. Her husband, who she thought was dead... Detective Sergeant Sami Kierce leads the homicide investigation into Joe's death while grappling with secrets of his own.

My better half persuaded me to watch this (it had nothing to do with Michelle Keegan honest).

It had a good cast and I really like Adeel Akhtar so thought fair enough as she watched Mr Bates vs The Post Office. Imagine the selling I had to do in that conversation!
‘Fancy watching a glossy and good looking murder mystery drama starring Michelle Keegan and the old barmaid from Emmerdale that you had a thing for Rick?’
‘Sorry love but I must insist we watch this Toby Jones drama?’
‘Oh what’s it about?’
‘It’s about post office workers!’

Anyway it’s overly long, not as clever as it thinks it is and has a excrement ending. It did just enough for me to not jack it in but that’s not saying much. There are far better series out there. This was ok!

I'm currently watching 'Fool Me Once' with the wife. I think we've got a couple of episodes remaining and I keep laughing because it is such nonsense - almost so bad, it's good, but not quite! I'm interested in seeing how it ends because the plot really doesn't make a lot of sense.

The funniest thing for me is how a book which was clearly set in the US has been clumsily levered into a UK setting with guns galore everywhere, people getting shot left, right and centre and so forth and nobody batting an eyelid. The way the dodgy football coach was screaming abuse at his girl's football team also amused me. I'm also slightly confused about her friend, a British Military Policeman having a thick southern Irish accent! Oh, and Michelle Keegan looks good but is absolutely not believable in the role.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 297 - 318
Sandford1981
January 8, 2024, 11:42am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

I'm currently watching 'Fool Me Once' with the wife. I think we've got a couple of episodes remaining and I keep laughing because it is such nonsense - almost so bad, it's good, but not quite! I'm interested in seeing how it ends because the plot really doesn't make a lot of sense.

The funniest thing for me is how a book which was clearly set in the US has been clumsily levered into a UK setting with guns galore everywhere, people getting shot left, right and centre and so forth and nobody batting an eyelid. The way the dodgy football coach was screaming abuse at his girl's football team also amused me. I'm also slightly confused about her friend, a British Military Policeman having a thick southern Irish accent! Oh, and Michelle Keegan looks good but is absolutely not believable in the role.

You’ve pretty much summed up how I felt about it, for the same reasons and examples particularly the cache of guns in swanky Bond style armoury.
I cringe the majority of times I see sport and particularly footy in tv and film.However, I do have to admit when she pulls his shorts down I laughed harder than I should have. Amused me no end and it’s probably because it has that B Movie quality about it. Good enough fun if you don’t take it seriously a bit like Vigil.

Private Message
Reply: 298 - 318
Maringer
January 8, 2024, 11:45am
Barley Wine Drinker
I've just finished watching the most recent series of Slow Horses and that is really good TV.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 299 - 318
32 Pages Prev ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › TV Times

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.