1mickylyons
February 22, 2024, 8:10am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,385
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Maringer

Nonsense. If the owners of a business don't decide the direction they want the operation to go, what is the point of them?

If I was running the club, I'd certainly be looking to have a team playing good football, something for which we were known for much of my formative years (i.e. the Buckley eras). People still talk disparagingly of Slade's 'Hoofball' era and were chuntering about Hurst's functional, somewhat dour style of play (in both his spells) for as long as I can remember.

The complaints about trying to play it out from the back have been ridiculous because, as we've seen, reverting to punting it forward hasn't exactly helped things. There's a balance to be made, obviously, but we're not capable of playing a clogging game and nor would I want to see it.

On the assumption that Artell isn't here at the end of the season, I hope that whoever takes over (and at whatever level we are playing), will attempt to play attractive, attacking football. Trying to grind out results in a relegation scrap is understandable. Starting a season with the hope of grinding out enough results for some sort of success (whatever that may be) throughout the year isn't.

I hated Sladeball BUT in fairness to him and Fenty they brought in muscle height and speed to make it work and its the closest we've got to promotion from League 2. On that basis DA needs 10 David Silva,Phil Foden types sounds expensive and difficult not to mention it rarely works lower down.
I'm interested in opinions on how many footballers we think the current squad yields?

For me Hunt,Glennon are footballers neither in the frame

Of the rest Eusa/Hume/Ainley maybe?

Rose picks himself and can fit in anywhere.

Miles off having a footballing side unless we've half a dozen I've missed?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 91
Mappers
February 22, 2024, 8:20am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,320
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from 1mickylyons

I hated Sladeball BUT in fairness to him and Fenty they brought in muscle height and speed to make it work and its the closest we've got to promotion from League 2. On that basis DA needs 10 David Silva,Phil Foden types sounds expensive and difficult not to mention it rarely works lower down.
I'm interested in opinions on how many footballers we think the current squad yields?

I would put Arthur in that . Think he's a good technical player who can look after the ball.

Probably Khouri , unfortunately he's injured Spenymoor pal said he didn't play the other night as pulled up before the game - hoping it's not too serious as he was doing really well there in the 3 or 4 games he's played and potentially has the ability to come back into the frame when he's back/fit imo.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 91
rancido
February 22, 2024, 8:51am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,570
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Sorry I didn't listen to it I just went off previous posts.I am more bothered about my team sleep walking into non league than hearing his views but each to there own.

So you made a comment about a podcast that you hadn't even bothered to listen to !!! FFS

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 91
Maringer
February 22, 2024, 10:05am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,512
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from 1mickylyons

As has been discussed elsewhere in the past (and as Artell said), we were a 'Meh' team when he arrived. Not big, not strong, not quick, not particularly-skilful, not dynamic, not this and not that.

His style is to try and play football, but it doesn't appear that we have the players for that. Hurst's style was to keep it tight, try to play a bit when the chance arose and play to percentages. It worked OK to start off with this season, but things went south rapidly which led to his dismissal. I think this was, in part, because teams had worked us out by that point. They knew we were weak at the back and not much cop in midfield where we would lose possession frequently. Our lack of pace was a killer as we struggled to break down an organised defence. Keep our wide men quiet and use pace to get in behind us and we struggle.

Unfortunately, things have become even worse in 2024. We've got the same weaknesses, less Conteh, who stabilised the midfield more than I realised, and everything the opposition hits is going into the net at the moment. If Thompson can stay fit, he ought to be the one steadying the ship but the new defenders haven't yet settled or built proper playing relationships (which is probably understandable), but that certainly hasn't helped. Artell's biggest failure in the transfer window was that he didn't bring in another experienced striker. He probably thought that Pyke and Wilson returning from injury would be enough to support Rose, but I really don't think they are, and it's a rare occasion that an inexperienced kid such as Obikwu can come in and impose themselves in a struggling team.

If Artell goes, I'm not really sure what the future is for this squad. Will a new manager try and batten down the hatches and try to play defensively while nicking a goal here and there? I'm not sure we have the players to be able to do that. Trying to play a bit more football and nabbing enough wins to survive is probably our best hope. Whether or not this squad is up to it, regardless of the manager, remains to be seen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 91
MuddyWaters
February 22, 2024, 11:22am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,250
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Maringer

As has been discussed elsewhere in the past (and as Artell said), we were a 'Meh' team when he arrived. Not big, not strong, not quick, not particularly-skilful, not dynamic, not this and not that.

His style is to try and play football, but it doesn't appear that we have the players for that. Hurst's style was to keep it tight, try to play a bit when the chance arose and play to percentages. It worked OK to start off with this season, but things went south rapidly which led to his dismissal. I think this was, in part, because teams had worked us out by that point. They knew we were weak at the back and not much cop in midfield where we would lose possession frequently. Our lack of pace was a killer as we struggled to break down an organised defence. Keep our wide men quiet and use pace to get in behind us and we struggle.

Unfortunately, things have become even worse in 2024. We've got the same weaknesses, less Conteh, who stabilised the midfield more than I realised, and everything the opposition hits is going into the net at the moment. If Thompson can stay fit, he ought to be the one steadying the ship but the new defenders haven't yet settled or built proper playing relationships (which is probably understandable), but that certainly hasn't helped. Artell's biggest failure in the transfer window was that he didn't bring in another experienced striker. He probably thought that Pyke and Wilson returning from injury would be enough to support Rose, but I really don't think they are, and it's a rare occasion that an inexperienced kid such as Obikwu can come in and impose themselves in a struggling team.

If Artell goes, I'm not really sure what the future is for this squad. Will a new manager try and batten down the hatches and try to play defensively while nicking a goal here and there? I'm not sure we have the players to be able to do that. Trying to play a bit more football and nabbing enough wins to survive is probably our best hope. Whether or not this squad is up to it, regardless of the manager, remains to be seen.

10 out of the 11 that took Crewe apart (Conteh aside) are still here. Thompson is an Artell signing to, allegedly, fill the Conteh gap. I'm still staggered how we can go from wonderful to woeful in such a short space of time, particularly as he said he was 'pleasantly surprised by the quality in the squad'.
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 91
BobbyCummingsTackle
February 22, 2024, 11:27am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,276
Gold Stars: 306
Quoted from MuddyWaters

10 out of the 11 that took Crewe apart (Conteh aside) are still here. Thompson is an Artell signing to, allegedly, fill the Conteh gap. I'm still staggered how we can go from wonderful to woeful in such a short space of time, particularly as he said he was 'pleasantly surprised by the quality in the squad'.

Yep, MK Dons away was the best and most entertaining Town performance I've seen in a while and I left there thinking that we would be heading in the right direction with Artell. It seems a very long time ago now.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 91
Mappers
February 22, 2024, 11:32am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,320
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from Maringer

Conteh didn't always do the fashionable stuff but when on form was tactically excellent at filling in holes and wouldn't empty out the midfield like we have the last few home games .

We need someone to at least sit like he did even if  they are not as good at it - just retain their position so we don't look so drastically out of shape both with and without the ball ; especially when the ball is turned over quickly ,in the words of Yoda 'we are a mess' when that happens .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 91
Maringer
February 22, 2024, 11:45am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,512
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from MuddyWaters

The fact that we took Crewe apart in one game would seem to be more an indication that they had a really bad day, given that we've been taken apart by numerous teams since then...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 91
Hagrid
February 22, 2024, 12:01pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,413
Gold Stars: 534

Yep, MK Dons away was the best and most entertaining Town performance I've seen in a while and I left there thinking that we would be heading in the right direction with Artell. It seems a very long time ago now.

he'd been here for 1 training session, why's he getting any credit for that performance.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 91
GrimRob
February 22, 2024, 1:24pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,408
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from Hagrid

he'd been here for 1 training session, why's he getting any credit for that performance.

You'd struggle to find a squad member whose performance has improved after time on the training ground with DA. The new signings went straight into the team at Accrington and mostly gave their best showings. It seems the more DA coaching minutes you undergo the worse you get.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 89 - 91
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Interesting comments from JS

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.