Poojah
February 19, 2024, 9:43pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,580
Gold Stars: 1,502
Quoted from davmariner

My reading of the situation (albeit based on JS’ single tweet) is that Artell will be here for the rest of the season whatever happens between now and then.

Not a chance in hell. Imagine, if you will, that we get a good shoeing at play-off chasing Morecambe (who also happen to be 2nd in the form table), and then follow that up with a performance and result against Forest Green to match the last few home games. BP has already been a powder keg of late, but that would be the spark to see things properly go off. Difficult to predict precisely what that might look like, and I’d rather not think about it, but it won’t be pleasant.

I think it highly unlikely Artell can survive defeat in our next game, but if he somehow does, there’s simply no way he could survive losing to the veggies as well. We’ll be as good as relegated at that point.

I feel for the owners at the minute - they have some difficult decisions to make on the back of a scenario that would have been unthinkable a year ago. But the longer this embarrassing run of results continues, and the longer Artell is allowed to remain in spite of it, the quicker the sympathy and respect will ebb away. Harsh perhaps, but a reality of football club ownership.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 35
toontown
February 19, 2024, 9:52pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,279
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Vance Warner

This seems to have been lost in the aftermath of Saturday but there was a clear move away from his principles of playing out from the back. If you’re not going to do the basics right without the ball it doesn’t really matter what you do with it

Yeah the starting off of every goal kick with the keeper passing to the 2 CBs on the six yard line was completely binned off.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 35
Poojah
February 19, 2024, 9:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from toontown

Yeah the starting off of every goal kick with the keeper passing to the 2 CBs on the six yard line was completely binned off.

The failing to make any kind of attempt to stop the opposition from playing through our midfield and defence with minimal effort remained very much a feature, however.

If there’s a positive to be found in Saturday’s catastrophe, it’s that it did confirm that the primary issue is less about what we do in possession and more about what we do out of it. Regardless, that’s a product of whatever system Artell has tried to implement in recent weeks and, assuming he’s still here come the weekend, is on him to resolve. That cannot be anything but his last chance to show his coaching chops.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 35
lew chaterleys lover
February 19, 2024, 10:01pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,723
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Poojah

Not a chance in hell. Imagine, if you will, that we get a good shoeing at play-off chasing Morecambe (who also happen to be 2nd in the form table), and then follow that up with a performance and result against Forest Green to match the last few home games. BP has already been a powder keg of late, but that would be the spark to see things properly go off. Difficult to predict precisely what that might look like, and I’d rather not think about it, but it won’t be pleasant.

I think it highly unlikely Artell can survive defeat in our next game, but if he somehow does, there’s simply no way he could survive losing to the veggies as well. We’ll be as good as relegated at that point.

I feel for the owners at the minute - they have some difficult decisions to make on the back of a scenario that would have been unthinkable a year ago. But the longer this embarrassing run of results continues, and the longer Artell is allowed to remain in spite of it, the quicker the sympathy and respect will ebb away. Harsh perhaps, but a reality of football club ownership.

I can't see it Poojah. They pride themselves on treating people well; that is their overriding selling point. Just as we kept Scannell on with no hope of him playing, they will stick with him until he has run out of road. They believe in process and giving people everything they can to help them succeed.  I imagine any discussions with Artell will be along the lines of whether they can do any more to help him.

All what they try to do is laudable, but I'm not sure it will work in professional football but I expect him to be here for the duration,  and I will be astonished if they pull the trigger this early.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 35
Mappers
February 19, 2024, 10:05pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,330
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from Poojah

I can't think of many (any) clubs that would keep a manager in post after shipping 21 goals at home since the new year . I can't imagine any league team has ever even managed that ? It's some haul in a bad way .

I thought the decision was easy , he went today .

Let's see if the boards loyalty is inspired or foolish.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 35
sydney
February 19, 2024, 10:08pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,009
Gold Stars: 3
National League North Season After?
Emulating Scunny
You’ve Not Made the right decision Mr Stockwood
I’m still in shock that DA is still the manager
What More do you need to see
Depressing
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 35
MuddyWaters
February 19, 2024, 10:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,256
Gold Stars: 236

I can't see it Poojah. They pride themselves on treating people well; that is their overriding selling point. Just as we kept Scannell on with no hope of him playing, they will stick with him until he has run out of road. They believe in process and giving people everything they can to help them succeed.  I imagine any discussions with Artell will be along the lines of whether they can do any more to help him.

All what they try to do is laudable, but I'm not sure it will work in professional football but I expect him to be here for the duration,  and I will be astonished if they pull the trigger this early.

I’m actually gobsmacked that he hasn’t been relieved of his duties. But I’m not that surprised that we’re in this mess. It’s been clear that running the business properly is intended to bring a structure that will create success.

Football isn’t a normal business. There are too many variables, you have no control over what others do or what others spend. You have no control over referees, your players, opponents or even fans, particularly when you build your reputation and then raise expectations.

I don’t suppose there’s any Town fans who know if the financial legacy of the cup run was all spent on the squad, how many targets ended up elsewhere and the rest. What we do know is that we’re left with a squad that seemingly doesn’t have the ability to play the way that the owners and the manager want.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 35
GrimRob
February 19, 2024, 10:22pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,413
Gold Stars: 113
Every game is a cup final for Artell. He literally can't afford to lose either of the last two. If we lose the first he probably won't get the second, if we lose the second that will be game over. Any lingering purist principles about playing the right way will go out the window. The bus will surely be firmly parked at Morecambe and an ultra-defensive line-up.

He must dread Blundell Park games, he's probably suffering from PTSD after the last few home games, but if gets that far he'll have to somehow convince the players that we can beat Village Green.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 17 - 35
Poojah
February 19, 2024, 10:24pm
Vodka Drinker

The Scannell thing was very different. Keeping him on while he recovered from injury had no great impact on the club as a whole. An altruistic act, with no real downside in the big scheme of things.

Ultimately, Stockwood as an experienced CEO will be no stranger to difficult conversations. He hasn’t achieved what he has by being nice to people regardless of performance, and in his own words, not everyone can come on the journey.

There is a difference here though in that this is a very public situation. The customers of Simply Business generally wouldn’t give a fúck if the CMO was sacked, or not. In this instance, a good amount of time was taken to appoint a successor to Hurst (in footballing terms), and it’s not panning out very well, and the punters ain’t happy about it.

This is embarrassing for him, but that shouldn’t cloud his judgement. He, along with Andrew Pettit, are custodians of the club. The right decisions have to be made regardless of personal emotions, and there are some big decisions to be made.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 35
lew chaterleys lover
February 19, 2024, 10:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,723
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Poojah

The Scannell thing was very different. Keeping him on while he recovered from injury had no great impact on the club as a whole. An altruistic act, with no real downside in the big scheme of things.

Ultimately, Stockwood as an experienced CEO will be no stranger to difficult conversations. He hasn’t achieved what he has by being nice to people regardless of performance, and in his own words, not everyone can come on the journey.

There is a difference here though in that this is a very public situation. The customers of Simply Business generally wouldn’t give a fúck if the CMO was sacked, or not. In this instance, a good amount of time was taken to appoint a successor to Hurst (in footballing terms), and it’s not panning out very well, and the punters ain’t happy about it.

This is embarrassing for him, but that shouldn’t cloud his judgement. He, along with Andrew Pettit, are custodians of the club. The right decisions have to be made regardless of personal emotions, and there are some big decisions to be made.

As ever, we will know soon enough!
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 35
4 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Next two games

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.