mariner91
February 18, 2024, 11:10am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,656
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from oochiad
Apparently the lights are on at cheapside, so a sacking doesn’t look on. Going to have a drive past and see what’s happening…….

I can’t and don’t want to believe that Artell’s sacking isn’t imminent. Has a manager had a run of such defensive and organisational capitulation and survived before?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 79
lew chaterleys lover
February 18, 2024, 11:12am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,723
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from GrimRob

Football is like politics. Everything has happened before. So much can be learned by studying history. Personally l think bringing in an outsider is the wrong way to go. I think the players/coaches are more likely to respond positively to self healing as a group rather than someone coming in with yet another set of ideas

Whichever way you go it's a gamble. The data they had on Artell doesn't mean anything, as it all happened in different circumstances and at a different time with different players. You have to look beyond data and the practicalities of the situation at hand and it appears we chose the wrong man for the wrong time, despite taking a proper amount of time over the appointment. You may well be right and the next gamble would be to allow the people already there who know whats gone on try to put it right, but of course it is still a gamble.
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 79
Poojah
February 18, 2024, 11:20am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,569
Gold Stars: 1,501
Quoted from headingly_mariner

He has to be sacked, there is no doubt. It's quite telling that lots of people who are usually patient want the club to pull the trigger.

There’s a time and a place for patience, and it’s not here and now. You look at the table, look at the last 6 games and then look at the next 6 on the fixture list, and the only conclusion that can be reached is that an immediate change is needed. In fact, let’s look at the next 8 games coming up:

Morecambe (10th) - A
Forest Green (23rd) - H
Wimbledon (8th) - A
Sutton (24th) - A
MK Dons (5th) - H
Gillingham (11th) - A
Wrexham (3rd’) - H
Barrow (6th) - A

Only 2 of our next 8 don’t involve sides currently in the top 11, and those are against the two sides chasing us to avoid relegation. If you assume that even with an improvement in performances we’re unlikely to pick up many points from those top-half sides, then you begin to appreciate just how pivotal those games against FGR and Sutton are. As an absolute minimum we need 4 points from those 2 games; any less signals disaster.

In writing this post I’ve come to realise that things are even dicier than I had thought. Failing to change now is accepting our fate as a National League outfit once again.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 79
oochiad
February 18, 2024, 11:36am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,719
Gold Stars: 28
Quoted from mariner91

I can’t and don’t want to believe that Artell’s sacking isn’t imminent. Has a manager had a run of such defensive and organisational capitulation and survived before?

Well I’ve been past, not a full call in but 8 cars and people wandering about the carpark on phones. I’m surprised nothing hasn’t happened regarding sacking but can only assume the problem maybe in paying him off……
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 79
headingly_mariner
February 18, 2024, 11:54am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,377
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from Poojah

There’s a time and a place for patience, and it’s not here and now. You look at the table, look at the last 6 games and then look at the next 6 on the fixture list, and the only conclusion that can be reached is that an immediate change is needed. In fact, let’s look at the next 8 games coming up:

Morecambe (10th) - A
Forest Green (23rd) - H
Wimbledon (8th) - A
Sutton (24th) - A
MK Dons (5th) - H
Gillingham (11th) - A
Wrexham (3rd’) - H
Barrow (6th) - A

Only 2 of our next 8 don’t involve sides currently in the top 11, and those are against the two sides chasing us to avoid relegation. If you assume that even with an improvement in performances we’re unlikely to pick up many points from those top-half sides, then you begin to appreciate just how pivotal those games against FGR and Sutton are. As an absolute minimum we need 4 points from those 2 games; any less signals disaster.

In writing this post I’ve come to realise that things are even dicier than I had thought. Failing to change now is accepting our fate as a National League outfit once again.

And that time for patience is actually most of the time, but not in this case. The results are so drastic the change has to be made.

The positives for whoever comes in is that we do have some good players, regardless of what some will say.
We are capable of scoring and usually score which is a problem for most struggling teams. Our issue is defending and I am convinced it is linked to which team is picked, the training and instructions.
I don't have the same fears as under Newell that the players are unprofessional or don't care. They aren't led but someone who can organise them.

We need to focus on players knowing what their job is and play to our strengths. Take the young loanees out of the firing line and grind a few results out.  
A point a game to the end of the season will easily do us  with a 6 point cushion, probably less. We need to be looking to drag other teams into it rather than making it a 2 of 3 situation.

I'll be amazed if he's not gone today or tomorrow.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 79
StacyColdicotts_hairline
February 18, 2024, 11:55am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Approval: +203
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from chaos33
It’s an attractive job if you emphasise potential. Get the club safe then start next season with one of the biggest clubs in L2 with all of the opportunities that brings. Look at Barrow and Harrogate up there in the play off picture. Titchy clubs with meagre resources, little stadiums and no fans. Morecambe, Crawley, Accrington….all competitive and in with a shot. This club is a sleeping giant in L2, and a prospective manager would do well to take that meta perspective. Save us from relegation - big tick on your CV, then build your own team under great owners, with big support that can challenge for promotion and not be out of place in L1. I get that it’s risky if you don’t pull off the escape bit in the short term, but if you’re out of work, what have you got to lose?

This was most likely Artells reasoning for coming here. Whilst Town arent a massive club, they certainly arent tinpot either. We should be a middling L1 club....

To answer the subject matter; If we assume that these players are capable and able to perform much better than what they are currently showing then maybe giving Artell the shove and reinstating Pearson and Davies as a way to reinvigorate the squad, then yes that could work.

But look at this way, surely the job at Grimsby is now much much larger and will require an experienced manager. This is not
oct-Nov 2023

Generally i would be reluctant to give such responsibility to 2 men whose results were dropping off last time and also to 2 men that have over seen this debacle.  

We need a clean slate
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 79
headingly_mariner
February 18, 2024, 11:55am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,377
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from oochiad

Well I’ve been past, not a full call in but 8 cars and people wandering about the carpark on phones. I’m surprised nothing hasn’t happened regarding sacking but can only assume the problem maybe in paying him off……

I'm sure the contracts now have clauses in that managers at this level don't get the full pay off.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 79
GollyGTFC
February 18, 2024, 12:05pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,961
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from Poojah

Morecambe (10th) - A
Forest Green (23rd) - H
Wimbledon (8th) - A
Sutton (24th) - A
MK Dons (5th) - H
Gillingham (11th) - A
Wrexham (3rd’) - H
Barrow (6th) - A

When you look at that you could argue that the next 4 games could make or break our season. At least 7 or 8 points including beating FGR & Sutton and we could open a sizeable gap. A couple of points or less and losing to both FGR & Sutton and we're in despearate, desperate trouble.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 57 - 79
Poojah
February 18, 2024, 12:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,569
Gold Stars: 1,501
Quoted from GollyGTFC

When you look at that you could argue that the next 4 games could make or break our season. At least 7 or 8 points including beating FGR & Sutton and we could open a sizeable gap. A couple of points or less and losing to both FGR & Sutton and we're in despearate, desperate trouble.

Yep, with each round of matches that goes by, the situation starts to look bleaker and bleaker. The owners can’t just stand idly by and allow that to continue until it is simply too late.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 79
AncientExiledMariner
February 18, 2024, 12:21pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.52
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
I don't think we should change, but if we do, I hope the owners let the new boss pick their own assistant. Hurst, Pep etc. have mentioned in the past that often the assistant will have different ideas and challenge the manager. The decisions are good because of scrutiny and debate. I like BD and SP. They're lovely guys. I hope they stay on as coaches, but right now, we cannot afford inexperience. We need someone who's seen it before and been involved in improving a situation.

I also hope that while they state how they want to play long term, they give the manager the choice to be pragmatic and not impose a style, especially in this context.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 79
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Give Pearson and Davies the job

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.