8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
chaos33
February 18, 2024, 10:07am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
If you’re an unemployed manager you’re already deemed a failure in your last post. Vacancies don’t arise at clubs doing well, and if they do, then those sacked for failing in recent posts are at a competitive disadvantage. The only way to mend your professional reputation is to take a risk and get back in the game. Struggling clubs sack managers. There is a a mutual sense that both parties are taking a punt. It’s how it is.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 79
Poojah
February 18, 2024, 10:39am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,599
Gold Stars: 1,503
Quoted from headingly_mariner

It's so tricky and not an easy fix. We run the risk of a Nicky Law situation. I'm not sure what managers would fancy it.

Artell’s had a game more than Nicky Law had in the Town dugout, but his record is already palpably worse (win % - PPG)

Dave Artell - 15.4% - 0.77
Nicky Law - 25.0% - 0.92

In Law’s 12 games in charge, we conceded 21 goals. Artell has managed that in just the last 6.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 79
headingly_mariner
February 18, 2024, 10:45am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,379
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from Poojah

Artell’s had a game more than Nicky Law had in the Town dugout, but his record is already palpably worse (win % - PPG)

Dave Artell - 15.4% - 0.77
Nicky Law - 25.0% - 0.92

In Law’s 12 games in charge, we conceded 21 goals. Artell has managed that in just the last 6.

I'm completely convinced Artell needs to go. The stats only add to the disaster unfolding in front of my eyes.

I'm just not sure whether the answer is a caretakers or bringing someone in. I suppose it is who is available.

Of the things we know, I think it is fair to say the players responded positively to Shaun and Ben.

I do remember the season we got relegated under Law, did we bring him in when Rodger had won 3 and lost 3 in his 6 game caretaker stint? Or have I imagined that?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 79
GollyGTFC
February 18, 2024, 10:53am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,974
Gold Stars: 356
We would struggle to replace him and I'm fearing a Nicky Law situation.

We're in the Nicky Law situation now with David Artell, The only difference is NL was given a 3 month contract. For some reason we gave DA a 32 month contract.

The similarities are remarkable...

We sacked Paul Groves / Paul Hurst.

We put Graham Rodger / Shaun Pearson & Ben Davies in charge as caretaker manager.

GR won 3 & lost 3 out of 6 league matches (1.5 points per game)./ SP & BD won 1 & drew 2 out of 3 league matches (1.67 points per game).

We appointed Nicky Law / David Artell as permanent manager.

Nicky Law managed 11 points from 12 matches (0.917 PPG) / David Artell has achived 10 points from 12 league matches (0.833 PPG)

Nicky Law had goal diffeence of minus 10 from his 12 league matches / David Artell has goal difference of minus 11 from his 12 league matches.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 43 - 79
Poojah
February 18, 2024, 10:54am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,599
Gold Stars: 1,503

I'm completely convinced Artell needs to go. The stats only add to the disaster unfolding in front of my eyes.

I'm just not sure whether the answer is a caretakers or bringing someone in. I suppose it is who is available.

Of the things we know, I think it is fair to say the players responded positively to Shaun and Ben.

I do remember the season we got relegated under Law, did we bring him in when Rodger had won 3 and lost 3 in his 6 game caretaker stint? Or have I imagined that?

I’m not one to hit the owners over the head regarding their supposed use of data, but all of the stats on Artell are diabolically bad. How anyone could look at the numbers, on top of what we can see objectively with our eyes, and conclude that sticking with him is the right course of action is beyond me.

This is a difficult moment for the owners, I get that. But failure to take evasive action akin to letting us sleepwalk into far more uncomfortable and damaging times.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 79
oochiad
February 18, 2024, 11:00am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,719
Gold Stars: 28
Apparently the lights are on at cheapside, so a sacking doesn’t look on. Going to have a drive past and see what’s happening…….
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 79
GrimRob
February 18, 2024, 11:02am

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,420
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from GollyGTFC

We're in the Nicky Law situation now with David Artell, The only difference is NL was given a 3 month contract. For some reason we gave DA a 32 month contract.

We put Graham Rodger / Shaun Pearson & Ben Davies in charge as caretaker manager.

GR won 3 & lost 3 out of 6 league matches (1.5 points per game)./ SP & BD won 1 & drew 2 out of 3 league matches (1.67 points per game).

Nicky Law managed 11 points from 12 matches (0.917 PPG) / David Artell has achived 10 points from 12 league matches (0.833 PPG)

Nicky Law had goal diffeence of minus 10 from his 12 league matches / David Artell has goal difference of minus 11 from his 12 league matches.

Football is like politics. Everything has happened before. So much can be learned by studying history. Personally l think bringing in an outsider is the wrong way to go. I think the players/coaches are more likely to respond positively to self healing as a group rather than someone coming in with yet another set of ideas

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 46 - 79
headingly_mariner
February 18, 2024, 11:06am

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Those figures don't lie!  Maybe the answer is back to the caretakers.

I completely agree he's got to go.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 79
pen penfras
February 18, 2024, 11:06am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Poojah

I’m not one to hit the owners over the head regarding their supposed use of data, but all of the stats on Artell are diabolically bad. How anyone could look at the numbers, on top of what we can see objectively with our eyes, and conclude that sticking with him is the right course of action is beyond me.

This is a difficult moment for the owners, I get that. But failure to take evasive action akin to letting us sleepwalk into far more uncomfortable and damaging times.

We've had data for ages. We even had a data analyst about the first promotion time, but whoever the manager was when he left wanted to do it himself. Most data is collected by a third party that all clubs pay a fee to access. Then we've had the GPS vests since Hurst first time around for internal analysis.

This whole data being shoved down our throats is a massive red herring. Everybody has it, everybody uses it and not everybody gets it right. We're probably spending more on it and getting it more wrong than ever. But it's not new and forward thinking ideas, we were always doing it one way or another.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 79
headingly_mariner
February 18, 2024, 11:08am

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

He has to be sacked, there is no doubt. It's quite telling that lots of people who are usually patient want the club to pull the trigger.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 79
8 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Give Pearson and Davies the job

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.