Reply: 10 - 49
Mariners_15
January 4, 2024, 3:57pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +17 / -4
Approval: +538
Gold Stars: 1
Did it ever come out as to why he dropped out of the consortium not long before a deal was done? Perhaps he may still have an eye on investing in the future if all goes well with his plan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 49
Poojah
January 4, 2024, 4:26pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,555
Gold Stars: 1,500
I’m trying to work out, based on the below image, where Schutes’ proposed stadium was supposed to be. If I’ve got my bearings correct, it looks like it’s sat on top of the water between Gorton Street and Murray Street.

I’m no engineer, but aside from the cost of the stadium itself, wouldn’t “filling in” that area of the docks be prohibitively expensive? I know Everton have done it at Bramley Moore, but that’s a £500m stadium.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 49
Chrisblor
January 4, 2024, 4:36pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,843
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Poojah
I’m trying to work out, based on the below image, where Schutes’ proposed stadium was supposed to be. If I’ve got my bearings correct, it looks like it’s sat on top of the water between Gorton Street and Murray Street.

I’m no engineer, but aside from the cost of the stadium itself, wouldn’t “filling in” that area of the docks be prohibitively expensive? I know Everton have done it at Bramley Moore, but that’s a £500m stadium.

Yeah I can't remember exactly where it was stated but it definitely involved filling in this part of the dock:

The whole thing sounded like a gigantic pipe dream, no idea what sort of funding streams he was eyeing up for this but it wouldn't surprise me if his last minute departure from the 1878 takeover troika had something to do with the other two telling him the new stadium aspect was a complete non-starter (and it seemed that was the only part of it Shutes had any interest in anyway, he's never been a Town supporter to my knowledge).

gary jones
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 49
mimma
January 4, 2024, 4:40pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,573
Gold Stars: 78
You need to go through security to get to it because it is on the docks. How will it fit in with this?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 49
Simon
January 4, 2024, 4:55pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Approval: +237
Gold Stars: 33
Hotel will be built but the Ice house will remain derelict would be my gut feeling

All Town aren't we ..... UTM  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 49
gtfc98
January 4, 2024, 5:38pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +45 / -21
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 68
Looks fantastic! Love that!

No longer Sick of the BlueSquare  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 49
crusty ole pie
January 4, 2024, 5:48pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.54
Rep Score: +16 / -1
Approval: +3,346
Gold Stars: 66
Quoted from mimma
You need to go through security to get to it because it is on the docks. How will it fit in with this?

Security will be moved
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 49
Kris2
January 4, 2024, 6:24pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,634
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Also some may think a venue for a 1,000 people is an odd choice but looking at the diversity of businesses in the are and no doubt the despite to attract more it seems like there is a lack of this type of thing too.

There wasn't a lack of this type of thing when the Winter Gardens existed but then somebody approved a company buying it then knocking it down to make flats. One of the worst things to happen to the town's local culture and entertainment, hopefully this new venture can once again bring that type of music and entertainment locally that's been missing for many years. Not just a place to attract larger bands but a place where local music can also grow.

Private Message
Reply: 18 - 49
ancientmariner54
January 4, 2024, 6:49pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: -185
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from mimma

Move the security gate . With a little bit of forethought No2 Dock could have been filled in years ago using rubble from the row of smoke houses that were demolished on Murray Street. There still remains a lot of concrete rubble in the remaining pontoon that forms a four feet high walkway around two sides of No2 Dock. Just needs bulldozing in . Imagine having a football pitch built on top of the original Pontoon ,in the shadow of the Dock Tower . If Carlsberg did football grounds ....U.T.M.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 49
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Tom Shutes gets his wish

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.