Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 191 Guests

Just back.

This thread currently has 7,778 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
OddShapedBalls
April 19, 2023, 11:23am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.02
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,193
Gold Stars: 40
I thought that once again we struggled to break down a team set up to defend (odd choices by Barra as they are chasing the playoffs, top scorer on the bench and a 4-5-1 formation with solid defensive banks? would have thought they'd be going for it from the start) and eventually the penny dropped that we needed to play through them and commit defenders to get anywhere, then we looked better.  We definitely look better when games are at a higher tempo but I guess they are all too knackered to do that all game at this stage.  

It was frustrating to watch Khan get 1-1 twice and fail to score both times, really starting to wonder why the one player with any composure in front of goal (Orsi) doesn't get played more when often all we've needed is someone with composure in the box.  Seeing as he's here next season and McAtee isn't would be good to see some starts for Orsi in the last few games and see if he can be consistent.

Thought Khouri did well, a couple of stray passes from him but then everyone else in a town shirt was guilty of that too.  Energetic, combative, good technical ability, he could definitely make it at this level long term.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 87
Bignic69
April 19, 2023, 11:33am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +540
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
Anyone care to allude to what the cringeworthy light show was all about

Genuinely no pun intended but people need to lighten up. I had some old git sat behind me in the upper effing n jeffing about it, there really is no need. i didn't take part but im not knocking anyone who did,  if you don't like then don't do it. it was merely kids trying to enjoy what was(apart from the result) quite a miserable night and like it or not, they are the future fan base.

Back of the net
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 87
HerveJosse
April 19, 2023, 11:36am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.88
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,217
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from Poojah

I’m not sure why you thought that, but putting that to one side, which part of my post did you not find sensible?

I am sure you can work it out for yourself
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 87
Poojah
April 19, 2023, 11:49am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,667
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from HerveJosse

I am sure you can work it out for yourself

Mate, play stupid games, win stupid prizes. I was just thinking to myself only yesterday, that you actually make some decent points from time-to-time. This was the one that triggered that particular thought; you said:

Quoted Text
Already behind the curve many clubs have had season tickets on sale for weeks now. Shortly after the cup run ended would have been the time to do it. Still struggling to see what all these back office additions are bringing to the party.
Look at Lincoln  website as an example how to do it already in 2nd Purchase window and various packages adding shirts and other etc to season tickets

I think that’s an absolutely reasonable and valid perspective. We have, for years, been slow and uninventive with our season ticket offering, and whilst it’s not necessarily the fault of our current custodians, it’s something that remains unsolved.

But…but, the validity of your better and more reasonable posts is often lost in the constant negativity and apparent agenda against the ‘new’ owners that you bring to the table. I don’t see balance.

After the 20 years we were served under Fenty it’s absolutely imperative that the club’s owners are held to account, but I see little to no positive comment from you on all of the good that has been done during the last two years (and if I have that meaningfully wrong, then I hereby advance you my apology). I don’t get it.

In this instance, you’re seemingly clamouring for any reason you can find to think a potential target wouldn’t come here. He didn’t like Devon? He has gambling problems? Seriously, what does that have to do with anything? Why so unnecessarily negative?

Your last point about his southern base is absolutely reasonable, but again rather just gets lost in the sillyness which came before it.

What’s the problem?

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 87
HatTrickHero
April 19, 2023, 12:00pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +781
Gold Stars: 25
Been an exhausting season in many ways,for the fans as much as the team it feels at times, so many players not performing then performing/team shapes working/not working depending on the team members who are currently performing...I've found myself summing up the latest game by comparing it to the previous.
Last nights first half was very poor (again) but not as bad as Saturdays first half, while last nights second half was much better than the first half but not anywhere near as good as Saturdays.
So inconsistent is the quality of the football I often wonder what it is they do in training all week.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 87
ginnywings
April 19, 2023, 12:03pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Poojah

Harry Smith got another goal for Barnet in the NL last night. 9 in 12 for him since going on loan from Leyton Orient, where he’s unwanted and out of contract in the summer.

15 goals in League Two last season and 6ft 5” - has to be on the summer hit list.

With the O's now promoted to League 1, he won't be getting kept on there, so if we want him, we will have to get in early and make him an offer that at least makes him give it serious consideration. Maybe we already have, as I think he was one of those on the wanted list with us previously.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 87
ginnywings
April 19, 2023, 12:11pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from HatTrickHero
Been an exhausting season in many ways,for the fans as much as the team it feels at times, so many players not performing then performing/team shapes working/not working depending on the team members who are currently performing...I've found myself summing up the latest game by comparing it to the previous.
Last nights first half was very poor (again) but not as bad as Saturdays first half, while last nights second half was much better than the first half but not anywhere near as good as Saturdays.
So inconsistent is the quality of the football I often wonder what it is they do in training all week.

Think PH has form for this though doesn't he?

Plenty of people moan about him and his team / tactics / substitutions, but when you look at the big picture, he is quietly and confidently making us better, and achieving stuff that many other managers fail at doing, and the critics have to eat their words.

15 months ago, fans were screaming for his head, and then we get promoted, reach the FA Cup quarter finals, and now find ourselves in the top half of League 2, whilst not so long ago, some were worried we would be getting dragged into a relegation scrap.

He just keeps soldiering on, ignoring the flak and being very competent.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 87
HerveJosse
April 19, 2023, 12:34pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Mate, play stupid games, win stupid prizes. I was just thinking to myself only yesterday, that you actually make some decent points from time-to-time. This was the one that triggered that particular thought; you said:

I think that’s an absolutely reasonable and valid perspective. We have, for years, been slow and uninventive with our season ticket offering, and whilst it’s not necessarily the fault of our current custodians, it’s something that remains unsolved.

But…but, the validity of your better and more reasonable posts is often lost in the constant negativity and apparent agenda against the ‘new’ owners that you bring to the table. I don’t see balance.

After the 20 years we were served under Fenty it’s absolutely imperative that the club’s owners are held to account, but I see little to no positive comment from you on all of the good that has been done during the last two years (and if I have that meaningfully wrong, then I hereby advance you my apology). I don’t get it.

In this instance, you’re seemingly clamouring for any reason you can find to think a potential target wouldn’t come here. He didn’t like Devon? He has gambling problems? Seriously, what does that have to do with anything? Why so unnecessarily negative?

Your last point about his southern base is absolutely reasonable, but again rather just gets lost in the sillyness which came before it.

What’s the problem?

Not sure that observing that a player who may aid our cause has a profile that suggests he wouldnt want to move here or anywhere else outside the south east has anything to do with any views I may have on the new owners.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 87
lew chaterleys lover
April 19, 2023, 12:37pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from ginnywings

Think PH has form for this though doesn't he?

Plenty of people moan about him and his team / tactics / substitutions, but when you look at the big picture, he is quietly and confidently making us better, and achieving stuff that many other managers fail at doing, and the critics have to eat their words.

15 months ago, fans were screaming for his head, and then we get promoted, reach the FA Cup quarter finals, and now find ourselves in the top half of League 2, whilst not so long ago, some were worried we would be getting dragged into a relegation scrap.

He just keeps soldiering on, ignoring the flak and being very competent.

How true this is!

Every time I really start to get fed up with him, he pulls a rabbit out of the hat; wins a difficult game,  or a series of games, or manages to unexpectedly hit on the right formula and this is repeated many times over. I guess that is part of the job in a way, but he has a knack of keep coming up with the answers eventually.

Like you said a while back, it can get a bit wearing though; the negative home games, and the lack of goals and excitement led you to consider not buying a season ticket and taking a break, but hey presto he has done it again - the top half of the table, hoping for a good end to the season with hopefully some early (good) signings to re-kindle our enthusiasm once more.

He seems to shine in adversity somehow; the more difficult the situation he seems to thrive on it.  
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 87
HerveJosse
April 19, 2023, 12:40pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Why isn’t  it the responsibility of the current custodians. How many years do they get to sort something that is obvious and could be planned and actioned in a meeting lasting a couple of hours

I am not intersted in comparison with Fenty era. Comparison with best possible at our level is all that interests me

What’s the problem?

No problem.it is well known that 80% of people have a positive outcome bias. While that has many advantages it can also lead to acceptance of the stays quo ,mediocrity and underachievement . I am in the other 20%

And as you can see I am crap at understanding the mechanics of how to post on these reply to points based comments
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 87
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.