Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 264 Guests

Just back.

This thread currently has 7,779 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
golfer
April 19, 2023, 9:48am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Crocombe Kouri Orsi  Glennon Amos Khan   -   good games     Emmanuel and Clifton -  poor games -  the rest -  so so
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 87
Mikey_345
April 19, 2023, 9:53am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +5,528
Gold Stars: 107
Thought we pretty much controlled the game against a decentish Barrow side. Very surprised how they started, compact and didn't want to come out of their shape - zero pressing in the first half. Hence the amount of time our defence had it. Made it even more difficult for us to get through or around them and we looked best when on the rare occasions they had a go first half.

Second half better as they seemed to change and be a little more adventurous - obviously classic away game tactic 'stay in it til half time'.

Not great football by any stretch but is it a little optimistic to be expecting that sometimes. I get its been a difficult watch sometimes at home, but has L2 football ever been total football? Tough conditions, tough side that are clearly no mugs and our lads have been Sat/Tuesday since January. All going to take their toll.

Been said earlier in the season we struggle against teams that aren't more open, confident we'd have lost that game 3/4 months ago.

Hurst subs helped to change the game - shock!

Overall this is turning out to be a much better season than expected. FA Cup 1/4 final, into the top half and in the mix for anything up to 9th with some teams in and around us left to play. Would have snapped your hand of in July for that.

Definitely work in progress, but first season back in the EFL this is quite a base to set to build from in season 2.

Khouri deserves a special mention, looked very assured.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 87
Garth
April 19, 2023, 10:14am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
We miss a big target man the likes of the lump, Cook, Bogel etc on last night's performance.although he had a decent game Lloyd was hammered by their big defenders, we need strength up front
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 87
diehardmariner
April 19, 2023, 10:16am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Quoted from forza ivano
I must be alone in thinking that the 2nd half was enjoyable ,and decent offensively, from town. 3/4 subs improved us and we were generally quicker in thought and deed.
Was pleased with khouri performance, although think him n gave would be a better option than him n the very limited green.gav would also help guide him through it. Orsi showed what he needs, playing off someone and having someone deliver the ball to feet. I really think that if ph gets those 2 elements right he will flourish.
He showed in that luton game that he dies have the ability

Not alone.  I enjoyed it as a spectacle.  At times I thought both sides knocked it about fairly well considering the conditions but largely it was enjoyable despite the lack of quality.  Perhaps a bit of a kick-and-rush game which felt like a throwback in some ways.

Khouri was outstanding in the middle first half.  Wasn't just his desire to get stuck in and mix it up but the way he gets it out his feet straight away and moves it with pace, that's something only Hunt is capable of in our team.  I've said it before but I really do think this lad has a big, big future.  

Don't think anyone else was either outstanding or poor.  Crocombe made some very smart stops, one in particular with his feet and his distribution was much better tonight (early shank out of play aside).  Delighted that Orsi took his chance and you could see what it meant to him.  

Winning games is always the priority but eyes should be well locked onto next season.  Orsi, Hunt and Khouri to start the remaining games for me.  We've got to see what they can do on a consistent basis.  We know what everyone else can do and they've all had decent runs in the side to do so.
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 87
DB
April 19, 2023, 10:20am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
The second half was much better than the first and the subs worked. I thought Orsi look calm and collective and scored a very goal. Khouri played really well considering this was one of the few starts he's had and certainly one for the future.

On the negative side, McAtee is no longer at his best and, by his own standards, I thought Emmanuel was poor. Not that he was bad but he set a high standard which didn't seem to be there last night.

Overall it was not a good game to watch, but we won. Joint 11th in the league with only 4 games left to play is not a bad spot to be in. I think everybody would have been happy with that last July when the season started.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 87
Poojah
April 19, 2023, 10:21am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,667
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from Garth
We miss a big target man the likes of the lump, Cook, Bogel etc on last night's performance.although he had a decent game Lloyd was hammered by their big defenders, we need strength up front

Harry Smith got another goal for Barnet in the NL last night. 9 in 12 for him since going on loan from Leyton Orient, where he’s unwanted and out of contract in the summer.

15 goals in League Two last season and 6ft 5” - has to be on the summer hit list.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 87
jamesgtfc
April 19, 2023, 10:27am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Poojah

Harry Smith got another goal for Barnet in the NL last night. 9 in 12 for him since going on loan from Leyton Orient, where he’s unwanted and out of contract in the summer.

15 goals in League Two last season and 6ft 5” - has to be on the summer hit list.

If you don't ask, you don't get, but other than a year at Macclesfield and six months in Scotland, he's been based down south. I think he will end up at Wimbledon, Gillingham, Sutton or Stevenage, if they bottle promotion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 87
HerveJosse
April 19, 2023, 10:34am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.88
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,217
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from golfer
Crocombe Kouri Orsi  Glennon Amos Khan   -   good games     Emmanuel and Clifton -  poor games -  the rest -  so so

Bit generous on Mcatee. Noticeably given up on the pressing and harrying and offering little effective on the creative front .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 87
Poojah
April 19, 2023, 10:37am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,667
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from jamesgtfc

If you don't ask, you don't get, but other than a year at Macclesfield and six months in Scotland, he's been based down south. I think he will end up at Wimbledon, Gillingham, Sutton or Stevenage, if they bottle promotion.

He had a brief spell at Motherwell, too, but your point is valid and one that did occur to me. I just hope we can be bolder this summer; we have the biggest budget we’ll have had for many years off the back of our highest finish in nearly two decades (all being well).

We are no longer the bottom-feeding, non-league yo-yo club we once were. We need to make that clear to prospects in both words and actions.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 87
HerveJosse
April 19, 2023, 10:42am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.88
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,217
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from Poojah

Two or three things in his Wiki profile suggest there is no way he is moving to Cleethorpes
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 87
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.