10 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 All Recommend Thread
pontoonlew
February 27, 2023, 11:13am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
Looks as though we made a loss of £931,000 over the year. To be expected given the investment and the change at the club.

Others better placed will give better insight but we seem to have a lot more assets than previously and we paid 1.1m in loans, although there seems to be 400k still outstanding on those.
Logged Offline
Private Message
marinerjase
February 27, 2023, 11:31am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,665
Gold Stars: 147
A certain poster has been waiting for this for months. Currently probably going through them with a fine eye I imagine, in the need to pick up on anything to have a dig and try to fixate a situation in which anyone else will believe the club were better off with the ex owner than present occupiers.

Bless.

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 98
MarinerDevil
February 27, 2023, 11:55am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,779
Gold Stars: 80
Reminder that this covers 2021/22, ie. the promotion season. Anything that occurred after 31 May 2022 (like paying off Fenty) will be covered in next year's accounts.

Key info:
  • Turnover: £4.4m (26% increase)
  • Wages: £3.1m (10% increase)
  • Wages as a percentage of income: 70% (10% decrease)
  • Debt: £1.9m (84% increase)
  • Transfer fees: £0 (there was compensation paid for John McAtee but this doesn't appear to have been included)
  • Player trading profit: £437K (sale of Ben Grist and sell-on fee from Siriki Dembele's transfer to Bournemouth)

Key point about debt:
"The new owners invested £1.5 million of loans into the company during the year. Some of this
funding was used to repay debt in the form of loans from previous principal shareholder and the
balance was used to fund improving operations and infrastructure of the club."

Sounds like Fenty's loans have been replaced with a loan to 1878 Partners. Some of this has been used to improve infrastructure.

Turnover breakdown:
Matchday: £1.5m (119% increase) [highest for a decade]
Central distribution: £725K (52% decrease)
Commercial: £1.3m (122% increase) [the way this is calculated has changed so it can't be accurately compared to other years]
Academy grant: £516K (7% increase)
"Football fortune": £437K (70% increase)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 98
GollyGTFC
February 27, 2023, 12:08pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,048
Gold Stars: 358
Worth noting that the Promotion Final was on 5th June so isn’t included in this accounting period.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 3 - 98
GollyGTFC
February 27, 2023, 12:12pm

Whiskey Drinker
As pointed out previously when others criticised owner funded/bankrolled clubs, the club are £1.5m in debt to the new owners. I’m sure it’s a benign loan though!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 4 - 98
GollyGTFC
February 27, 2023, 12:13pm

Whiskey Drinker
Since 31st May Fenty had received his final payment of £400,000.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 5 - 98
pontoonlew
February 27, 2023, 12:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
The only worry is those loans from the owners, I can’t remember that being stated as part of the plan. Although no doubt you can’t just magic up 1.5m to pay Fenty back out of thin air
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 98
arryarryarry
February 27, 2023, 12:27pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,038
Gold Stars: 117
Quoted from GollyGTFC
As pointed out previously when others criticised owner funded/bankrolled clubs, the club are £1.5m in debt to the new owners. I’m sure it’s a benign loan though!

I might be wrong but I thought in a very early interview, if the current owners were to sell the club they would be looking at having any loans repaid?
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 98
GollyGTFC
February 27, 2023, 12:28pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from pontoonlew
The only worry is those loans from the owners, I can’t remember that being stated as part of the plan. Although no doubt you can’t just magic up 1.5m to pay Fenty back out of thin air

Where did people think the operating losses they were open about when purchasing the club would appear in the accounts?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 8 - 98
GollyGTFC
February 27, 2023, 12:32pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

I might be wrong but I thought in a very early interview, if the current owners were to sell the club they would be looking at having any loans repaid?

I think they actually said they’d look to recoup any money invested (loaned) by increasing the value of their shareholdings.
i.e. get GTFC to L1 or even the Championship and their 63.1% of the business would be worth more than the £1.5m or so they spent buying up Fenty and other shareholders.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 9 - 98
diehardmariner
February 27, 2023, 12:38pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
Bit confused and would welcome some correction on what is no doubt the interpretation of my non-financial mind please.

I previously thought that a repayment plan had been agreed with Fenty for his 'benign' loans whereby it would be repaid within an agreed schedule, although any such income such as transfers. would allow this to be paid off earlier.

If, as appears the case from above, the loans were paid back to Fenty by 1878 who in turn transferred them into their own loans to the club, why was the repayment line previously stated and also what has happened to the Pollock, Dembele, Grist etc. money?

Not a criticism of anything, just can't get my head round it.
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 98
MarinerDevil
February 27, 2023, 12:49pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner
Bit confused and would welcome some correction on what is no doubt the interpretation of my non-financial mind please.

I previously thought that a repayment plan had been agreed with Fenty for his 'benign' loans whereby it would be repaid within an agreed schedule, although any such income such as transfers. would allow this to be paid off earlier.

If, as appears the case from above, the loans were paid back to Fenty by 1878 who in turn transferred them into their own loans to the club, why was the repayment line previously stated and also what has happened to the Pollock, Dembele, Grist etc. money?

We made a profit of just over £400K in player sales last year, which may have been used to clear the last £400K of loans (we won't know until we see next year's accounts). It sounds like 1878 decided to clear the other £1m early so they can start afresh.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 98
Yoda
February 27, 2023, 1:07pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,189
Gold Stars: 72
Didn’t the Grist, Pollock and McAtee money go to paying fenty off early.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 98
GollyGTFC
February 27, 2023, 1:18pm

Whiskey Drinker

Fenty was repaid via an agreed repayment plan. My understanding is that he was “owed” £1.5m when the club was bought and they paid around £375,000 almost immediately with 3 further payments of £375,000 due in December 2021, 2022 & 2023 unless the club received a windfall that allowed earlier repayment. Which we did.

The accounts indicate on 31st May he was still owed in the region of £400,000. Fenty would have been due £375,000 in December 2022 anyhow as per the original repayment plan, but since 31st May we’ve had the promotion final, been promoted with the huge increase in TV and solidarity money that brings and got a decent fee for McAtee.

I think AP said at the fans forum that Fenty has now been repaid in full which backs that up.

It is worth noting that we owed 1878 £1.5m on 31st May 2022 and I seem to remember them saying we’d make another loss this season so that figure is probably already significantly higher.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 13 - 98
diehardmariner
February 27, 2023, 1:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Thanks Golly and MarinerDevil.

So the Fenty repayment plan happened as intended.  The loan from 1878 partly went into the initial payment to Fenty and then towards infrastructure/improvements?
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 98
TheRealJohnLewis
February 27, 2023, 1:54pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 98
Mappers
February 27, 2023, 1:54pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,410
Gold Stars: 119
I dont know how much of a reality it is that we can be self sustainable and succesful with the game is now and these accounts show it , how much would the lads have to had  forked out if we had ,had a mediocre season ? It pretty much all went our way and still 900k down.
I think their hope is that once the infrastructure is improved losses will be a lot less ,but the way its going they will have to either raise a lot more or put more in if they want to take the club through to league 1 and and compete which Jason has definitely said he wants to numerous times -that league is on a different level to league two and would take millions more (look at lincoln )

Would love to see the accounts of Wrexham , Notts County, Gillingham ,Colchester etc they must be insane the level of spend ,especially the teams who get 3 or 4k who blow us out the water for players .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 98
Mappers
February 27, 2023, 2:00pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Approval: +4,410
Gold Stars: 119
Thats the Only thing that irks me when jason says 'we cant fill BP aatm ' because if we did go through to league 1 there would be 10 teams probably capable of bringing 3k+ on a good , so if we evwn dis go through now the lack of capacity would inhibit potentially quite a lot of income,irrelevant how many home fans we manage to get in  .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 98
MarinerDevil
February 27, 2023, 2:09pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mappers
I dont know how much of a reality it is that we can be self sustainable and succesful with the game is now and these accounts show it , how much would the lads have to had  forked out if we had ,had a mediocre season ? It pretty much all went our way and still 900k down.
I think their hope is that once the infrastructure is improved losses will be a lot less ,but the way its going they will have to either raise a lot more or put more in if they want to take the club through to league 1 and and compete which Jason has definitely said he wants to numerous times -that league is on a different level to league two and would take millions more (look at lincoln )

Would love to see the accounts of Wrexham , Notts County, Gillingham ,Colchester etc they must be insane the level of spend ,especially the teams who get 3 or 4k who blow us out the water for players .

The football side is already sustainable. The owners are not bankrolling players' wages, as our wage bill is 70-77% of total income (depending on what you count as income). The losses were down to a combination of improvements at Blundell Park (pitch improvements, sprinkler system and glass barrier in the Upper), improvements at Cheapside (irrigation, new gym) and some increased overheads due to the academy resuming full operations after Covid (along with some other investments in that area). These are "good" losses as they are investments in the future. I suspect other clubs like Wrexham and Stockport will have wage bills far exceeding ours.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 98
HertsGTFC
February 27, 2023, 2:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
I'm not that worried about these accounts, the owners know what they're doing, have the best interests of the club in hand and I've no reason not to trust them.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 98
diehardmariner
February 27, 2023, 2:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Mappers
Thats the Only thing that irks me when jason says 'we cant fill BP aatm ' because if we did go through to league 1 there would be 10 teams probably capable of bringing 3k+ on a good , so if we evwn dis go through now the lack of capacity would inhibit potentially quite a lot of income,irrelevant how many home fans we manage to get in  .

If we were to be in League One, there's definitely more clubs likely to be able to sell out the away end or come close to it.  I reckon 8 as a minimum based on the current clubs in there. Not sure I agree on the 8 clubs bringing 3,000 though.  Sheff Wed, Derby, maybe Barnsley? If we're in that league you would hope that's more of our fans wanting to watch it too.  

It's a bit chicken and egg isn't it?  You don't build it until there is actual concrete demand for it but you can't build it overnight and when you get round to it you've lost a lot of potential income and there's the risk that some of that demand has gone.

I submitted a question for the fans forum asking how feasible it is to fill in the corners as a short-to-medium term option but it didn't get read out.  Listening to other things that were said about the ground (both at the forum and elsewhere) there's still this view that we don't need to increase our capacity because we're not filling the ground.  I've voiced my disagreement on this before as I think it's a flawed argument against it, but the bigger issue is that there's hopefully going to be an increase in demand for seats all round the ground, sooner rather than later.  

Down the A46 Lincoln are having to rely on significant investment just to plod along in League One, largely because they can't generate enough money through their turnstiles.  I don't think we'll go down that route of having money just pumped into us, but that leaves us very reliant on ticket money to develop and grow.  

Equally so it wouldn't surprise me if plans are firmly afoot to have some sort of solution in place before we know it...

Private Message
Reply: 20 - 98
DB
February 27, 2023, 4:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390

If we were to be in League One, there's definitely more clubs likely to be able to sell out the away end or come close to it.  I reckon 8 as a minimum based on the current clubs in there. Not sure I agree on the 8 clubs bringing 3,000 though.  Sheff Wed, Derby, maybe Barnsley? If we're in that league you would hope that's more of our fans wanting to watch it too.  

It's a bit chicken and egg isn't it?  You don't build it until there is actual concrete demand for it but you can't build it overnight and when you get round to it you've lost a lot of potential income and there's the risk that some of that demand has gone.

I submitted a question for the fans forum asking how feasible it is to fill in the corners as a short-to-medium term option but it didn't get read out.  Listening to other things that were said about the ground (both at the forum and elsewhere) there's still this view that we don't need to increase our capacity because we're not filling the ground.  I've voiced my disagreement on this before as I think it's a flawed argument against it, but the bigger issue is that there's hopefully going to be an increase in demand for seats all round the ground, sooner rather than later.  

Down the A46 Lincoln are having to rely on significant investment just to plod along in League One, largely because they can't generate enough money through their turnstiles.  I don't think we'll go down that route of having money just pumped into us, but that leaves us very reliant on ticket money to develop and grow.  

Equally so it wouldn't surprise me if plans are firmly afoot to have some sort of solution in place before we know it...

Like you I submitted a question that never got asked which is simply how does JS get this 8,500 gate figure, given away allocations & tarps on seats. To me, we are running 2 sets of figures which are the match attendance figure and the ST paid for seats plus match day walk-ins.  I think the latter is probably greater and the figure that JS should talk about.

The orient gate was 6283 including 499 away fans which leaves 5784 home fans, less 5500+ ST's which gives us about 250 walk-ins. I find 250+ walk-ins hard to believe.

That said, and as the thread is about the Accounts, I have complete faith in what 1878 are trying to do. After all we have 2 multi-millionaire businessmen who want to put the club in good standing, make it an asset for the community and be self financing. Let's face it they could have watched the club go down the pan and bought it for far less than they did if they were in in for the money.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 98
MarinerDevil
February 27, 2023, 5:20pm
Fine Wine Drinker
The only other club in last season's National League to release their accounts is Notts County. They've released abbreviated accounts which don't include a profit/loss breakdown, so it's difficult to compare them directly to ours.

However, for those interested:

Grimsby Town         Notts County
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Avg. attendance      5,704                     7,027
No. of employees    256                        245
Transfer fees (£)      0 (excl. McAtee)     227,000
Overall loss (£)        930,000                 1,700,000

Given the larger overall loss, despite having higher matchday income, I think it's safe to assume that Notts County's playing budget was higher than ours in 2021/22.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 98
Mariner_09
February 27, 2023, 5:32pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 55
Quoted from MarinerDevil
The only other club in last season's National League to release their accounts is Notts County. They've released abbreviated accounts which don't include a profit/loss breakdown, so it's difficult to compare them directly to ours.

However, for those interested:

Grimsby Town         Notts County
Avg. attendance      5,704                     7,027
No. of employees    256                        245
Transfer fees (£)      0 (excl. McAtee)     227,000
Overall loss (£)        930,000                 1,700,000

Given the larger overall loss, despite having higher matchday income, I think it's safe to assume that Notts County's playing budget was higher than ours in 2021/22.

Don't think it can be overstated at quite how important it was we got out of that league. Despite the emotion of it, we got away with one. With the money flying around down there, it's safe to say we'd struggled to have matched the top two in terms of points output again and once again, you're in a playoff lottery.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 98
Heisenberg
February 27, 2023, 6:10pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Approval: +5,100
Gold Stars: 95
Interesting seeing the gate revenue. I recently read that Arsenal Women took 500k in gate receipts last season, but their wage bill is £4.4m!! And of that, Leah Williamson gets 200k! Madness. Football completely unsustainable in the WSL. My regular slagging of the women’s game is justified then…..

There’s no alarm bells being rung in my head looking at our accounts, and definitely not when taken into context against the likes of Preston and Bristol City.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 98
It Bites
February 27, 2023, 6:18pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,257
Gold Stars: 266
Brilliant, I'm going to go through these with a fine tooth comb ............. Ffs , years ago you wouldn't of been able to see these easily so all you'd ever be concerned about are results on the pitch .
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 98
Marinerdan
February 27, 2023, 7:59pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +15 / -1
Approval: +970
Gold Stars: 17
The accounts are really well presented and are clearly for public consumption.

That’s fairly unusual at this level as most clubs make the bare minimum available. It’s a big tick in the box for transparency.

UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 98
jamesgtfc
February 27, 2023, 8:21pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from It Bites
Brilliant, I'm going to go through these with a fine tooth comb ............. Ffs , years ago you wouldn't of been able to see these easily so all you'd ever be concerned about are results on the pitch .

We were a Plc previously so the accounts were easily accessible and had to be transparent. This regime have made us a Ltd company and are providing us with a lot more detail than they need to.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 98
golfer
February 27, 2023, 8:24pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Have we had McAtee's money from Luton yet ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 98
grimsby pete
February 27, 2023, 8:57pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,827
Gold Stars: 222
I am no accountant so do not read towns accounts,

BUT

I have every faith in Jason and Andrew  and I think they know what they are doing in fact I know they do.

So relax we are in safe hands and all things are on the up.

After all the penny pinching over the years we will make steady progress in all directions.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 98
TheultimateMariner
February 27, 2023, 9:20pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +3 / -3
Approval: +429
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from grimsby pete
I am no accountant so do not read towns accounts,

BUT

I have every faith in Jason and Anthony and I think they know what they are doing in fact I know they do.

So relax we are in safe hands and all things are on the up.

After all the penny pinching over the years we will make steady progress in all directions.

Anthony?  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 98
Limerick Mariner
February 27, 2023, 9:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,724
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from DB

Like you I submitted a question that never got asked which is simply how does JS get this 8,500 gate figure, given away allocations & tarps on seats. To me, we are running 2 sets of figures which are the match attendance figure and the ST paid for seats plus match day walk-ins.  I think the latter is probably greater and the figure that JS should talk about.

The orient gate was 6283 including 499 away fans which leaves 5784 home fans, less 5500+ ST's which gives us about 250 walk-ins. I find 250+ walk-ins hard to believe.

That said, and as the thread is about the Accounts, I have complete faith in what 1878 are trying to do. After all we have 2 multi-millionaire businessmen who want to put the club in good standing, make it an asset for the community and be self financing. Let's face it they could have watched the club go down the pan and bought it for far less than they did if they were in in for the money.

There were fewer than 300 seats left for the Os game. We sold about 1,100 walk ups and no show STHs were about the same number
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 98
grimsby pete
February 27, 2023, 10:13pm

Exile
Quoted from TheultimateMariner

Anthony?  

You have to forgive me I am nearly 75 and losing my marbles .

It's Andrew I knew that  

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 98
thefish
February 27, 2023, 10:17pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +14 / -1
Approval: +2,267
Gold Stars: 67
Quoted from TheultimateMariner

Anthony?  

I think he means Archibald.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 98
RichMariner
February 27, 2023, 10:26pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,160
Gold Stars: 211
BP capacity is 9,000 (or thereabouts).

Our average attendance this season is 6,500-ish, but rather than talking about the attendance we should be talking about number of tickets sold, as I suspect this will be averaging over 7,000.

On average, up to 10% of people don't turn up despite paying for their seat because of illnesses, birthdays, weddings, stag dos, hen dos, holidays, shift work, etc.

Therefore a crowd of around 8,200 would be a sell-out at BP these days. It's possible 9,000 tickets are sold, but only 8,200 turn up.

Basically, the capacity of the home end is about 7,000, minus 10% of no-showers takes it down to 6,300. Take away the restricted view seats, and that brings it below 6,000.

We sold over 5,500 season tickets, which leaves just a few hundred seats available each game, and these are not together. They're dotted around the place, making it impossible for friends and families to attend together as a group.

If we filled in corners to increase the capacity to something like 11,000 then we would consistently get attendances higher than 6,500 because we'd be creating room for friends and families to sit together, and not be relying on individuals plugging random holes in the seating plan.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 34 - 98
Wedidntdidwe
February 27, 2023, 10:38pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +377
Gold Stars: 22
Not sure why people worry about restricted view seat now, surely you can just move to one of the no-show seats. Same with not wanting to be sat apart from friends and family, buy a ticket then move as a group to an area that's empty.
This is assuming the club will allow it.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 98
grimsby pete
February 27, 2023, 11:33pm

Exile
Quoted from grimsby pete

You have to forgive me I am nearly 75 and losing my marbles .

It's Andrew I knew that  

If the one who red crossed me thinks I am not losing my marbles I can assure you I am. I often forget my puppy dogs name then wonder why she is not coming in when I call her from the garden.
Then I realise I am using the wrong name for her.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 98
Norseman
February 28, 2023, 12:08am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.45
Rep Score: +2 / -4
Approval: +278
Gold Stars: 48
Well not an accountant but surely those losses will be easily wiped out this season with mcatee money £980,000 for promotion,at least £400,000 from FA Cup and Papa John's And average more than 6000 attendances .Which should all be in next year's figures
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 98
golfer
February 28, 2023, 8:20am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.29
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,450
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from grimsby pete

If the one who red crossed me thinks I am not losing my marbles I can assure you I am. I often forget my puppy dogs name then wonder why she is not coming in when I call her from the garden.
Then I realise I am using the wrong name for her.

I do the same thing Patrick
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 98
diehardmariner
February 28, 2023, 9:33am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from RichMariner

Our average attendance this season is 6,500-ish, but rather than talking about the attendance we should be talking about number of tickets sold, as I suspect this will be averaging over 7,000.

On average, up to 10% of people don't turn up despite paying for their seat because of illnesses, birthdays, weddings, stag dos, hen dos, holidays, shift work, etc.

Therefore a crowd of around 8,200 would be a sell-out at BP these days. It's possible 9,000 tickets are sold, but only 8,200 turn up.

Basically, the capacity of the home end is about 7,000, minus 10% of no-showers takes it down to 6,300. Take away the restricted view seats, and that brings it below 6,000.

We sold over 5,500 season tickets, which leaves just a few hundred seats available each game, and these are not together. They're dotted around the place, making it impossible for friends and families to attend together as a group.

If we filled in corners to increase the capacity to something like 11,000 then we would consistently get attendances higher than 6,500 because we'd be creating room for friends and families to sit together, and not be relying on individuals plugging random holes in the seating plan.

Great post. Nailed it, especially the final paragraph.

It's nearly 30 years since we took down the open terraces in the corners.  Every single time I see a clip of them I wonder why we knocked them down rather than put seats on them and put a roof over the top.
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 98
kevikov
February 28, 2023, 9:37am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 13
Quoted from golfer

I do the same thing Patrick

Get your own puppy golfer. Leave Paul’s alone.

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 98
Poojah
February 28, 2023, 9:43am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,669
Gold Stars: 1,508

It's nearly 30 years since we took down the open terraces in the corners.  Every single time I see a clip of them I wonder why we knocked them down rather than put seats on them and put a roof over the top.

I can only assume to bring them in line with post-Taylor report standards would have cost too much money. The Pontoon for instance needed re-profiling to accommodate seats; it wasn’t simply a case of bolting them onto the existing terracing (see photo below).

To do the same, and add a roof to three open corners would have cost a substantial amount of money, which must have been daunting in the face of being forced to make ‘improvements’ which would reduce capacity. A false economy perhaps, but probably a necessary one at the time.

[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ea3l87SXkAACcfx?format=jpg&name=4096x4096[/img]

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 98
diehardmariner
February 28, 2023, 9:54am
Vodka Drinker
I'm no architect or structural engineer, nor will I ever profess to be.  Nor do I claim it would have been a simple task  But I think the less complex nature of the open corners would lend itself to more of the bolting seats on approach.

The difference between your pic of the Pontoon and the one below suggests some changes had already taken place, perhaps in the late 70's/early 80's?

The thought was more a hypothetical type one.  Hindsight is great and at the time, in the second tier, we were getting dross gates so unfair to expect anyone to anticipate what would be happening 28 years later.  Equally so 9 years after making the ground all-seater, we left the level with all seater requirements and haven't since returned...

[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B-1-mCrWoAA1Y4o?format=jpg&name=large[/img]
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 98
jamesgtfc
February 28, 2023, 10:05am
Vodka Drinker
I'm no architect or structural engineer, nor will I ever profess to be.  Nor do I claim it would have been a simple task  But I think the less complex nature of the open corners would lend itself to more of the bolting seats on approach.

The difference between your pic of the Pontoon and the one below suggests some changes had already taken place, perhaps in the late 70's/early 80's?

The thought was more a hypothetical type one.  Hindsight is great and at the time, in the second tier, we were getting dross gates so unfair to expect anyone to anticipate what would be happening 28 years later.  Equally so 9 years after making the ground all-seater, we left the level with all seater requirements and haven't since returned...

[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B-1-mCrWoAA1Y4o?format=jpg&name=large[/img]

And because we were at that level in the mid-nineties we aren't allowed terracing in our current ground or any subsequent new ground.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 98
Mikey_345
February 28, 2023, 10:10am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +5,530
Gold Stars: 107
Quoted from RichMariner

Sounds like quite a weekend that..

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 98
immariner
February 28, 2023, 11:55am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,414
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from RichMariner

It's more than 10% on average, closer to 20%. The Tranmere game with 5100 total attendance must have been around  25%
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 98
grimps
February 28, 2023, 12:11pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,136
Gold Stars: 46

I presume it was the cheapest short sighted option , maybe a bit easier to get the construction vehicles in .

It kills me watching our games on telly when there are vast open spaces with parked cars in and a hot dog stand .
The owners are chucking money down the drain trying to keep Blundell park match fit.
I’d bite the bullet and knock the Main stand down and building something the full length with some better facility’s in .
If it was done right it would easy hold 4000
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 98
lew chaterleys lover
February 28, 2023, 12:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from grimps

I presume it was the cheapest short sighted option , maybe a bit easier to get the construction vehicles in .

It kills me watching our games on telly when there are vast open spaces with parked cars in and a hot dog stand .
The owners are chucking money down the drain trying to keep Blundell park match fit.
I’d bite the bullet and knock the Main stand down and building something the full length with some better facility’s in .

They must be looking at that behind the scenes. Even a new "main stand" the same height but of course with unimpeded views and running the full length would be great, if expensive. A new stadium is surely out of our reach so if that is indeed the case I favour a gradual rebuilding of Blundell Park creating a unique stadium full of character and memories with a capacity we can be happy with.
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 98
gtfc_chris
February 28, 2023, 12:47pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,508
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from grimps

We did the stadium tour during half term and a question was asked about that and the guy leading it (apologies I'm not familiar who it was), suggested the Club were looking at extending the main stand.

It could be that I misheard parts and he was offering a personal opinion but it certainly sounded like the Club does have some form of plans to improve on the capacity.

My own personal view, if we're not going to move and they'd prefer to improve on where we are then I'd certainly rebuild the main stand. Moving is my ultimate preference but if not then we need to bring the main stand forward 100 years. Whether that's done in stages, building the 'new face' of it in the open area, then taking down the rest, or done in segments but ultimately delivering a new stand complete with better facilities, changing rooms, vendors, bars etc, I think it's the next best thing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 98
February 28, 2023, 12:51pm
Guest User
I can't imagine anyone thinking that building a new and modern main stand isn't a very good idea.

It's the cost that's the problem.
Reply: 49 - 98
OddShapedBalls
February 28, 2023, 1:25pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.02
Gold Stars: 40
RE the seats/capacity argument, I don't see why we couldn't pay out for temporary corner stands either side of the ponny for 1-2 months and then we'd have real world data to argue over.  If attendances are significantly up then keep them or agree that a new stadium is required, if attendance isn't really affected then the owners can say I told you so and off-hire them.  Either way it would give some clarity to the situation.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 98
Maringer
February 28, 2023, 1:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,646
Gold Stars: 189
I'd imagine that getting planning permission for a new Main Stand would be nigh on impossible. You'd expect that anything new would need to have higher roofing to improve views/capacity and anything which affected the views of houses behind on Harrington Street would surely fail to receive permission.

Looking in the (hopefully much) longer-term, we can't ignore the fact that sea levels are expected to rise significantly in coming decades. BP is the closest ground to the sea in the League and 2 feet above sea level so the potential for flooding is likely to become an even bigger issue unless there is some serious investment in coastal defences. The sea wall is pretty substantial for now, but how much longer will it remain effective when tides are lapping a couple of feet higher?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 98
MuddyWaters
February 28, 2023, 2:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from 137
I can't imagine anyone thinking that building a new and modern main stand isn't a very good idea.

It's the cost that's the problem.

Could you renovate its' inhabitants too (me included!)?
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 98
Morph2000
February 28, 2023, 2:14pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +48
Gold Stars: 2
My biggest concern with the accounts is the holding companies accounts should have been filed over a month ago.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 98
lew chaterleys lover
February 28, 2023, 2:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
I'd imagine that getting planning permission for a new Main Stand would be nigh on impossible. You'd expect that anything new would need to have higher roofing to improve views/capacity and anything which affected the views of houses behind on Harrington Street would surely fail to receive permission.

Looking in the (hopefully much) longer-term, we can't ignore the fact that sea levels are expected to rise significantly in coming decades. BP is the closest ground to the sea in the League and 2 feet above sea level so the potential for flooding is likely to become an even bigger issue unless there is some serious investment in coastal defences. The sea wall is pretty substantial for now, but how much longer will it remain effective when tides are lapping a couple of feet higher?

I would not worry about that. When I was a young lad at school 60 years ago we were told Grimsby would be underwater soon. We were told that in the 50's, 60's 70's 80's etc and it has not materialized. Even if it ever did they would have to protect the coastline which would obviously include the football club.

Good point about planning permission but surely there are ways and means to alleviate any worries from residents?
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 98
RonMariner
February 28, 2023, 2:26pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,793
Gold Stars: 226
I would imagine that continuing to get safety certification for the main stand could be problematic.  Several years ago there were concerns over it. Sooner or later it will be condemned I should think. At that point we are forced to either rebuild or move.

So one would hope there are at least some preliminary contingency plans for such an eventuality.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 98
forza ivano
February 28, 2023, 2:30pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,268
Gold Stars: 266
Have there really been no posts on this from our chums Pen & Herve?
There they were , getting their knickers in a twist about the negligent late filing of accounts, and yet over 24 hours later, we are still to hear from them about how 1878 are no better than JSF......
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 98
mimma
February 28, 2023, 2:31pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,574
Gold Stars: 78
You can't built a garden shed these days without NIBYs crawling out of woodwork. Doubt planning permission would be granted, and any attempt to get planning permission would take years and be very costly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 98
Maringer
February 28, 2023, 2:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker

I would not worry about that. When I was a young lad at school 60 years ago we were told Grimsby would be underwater soon. We were told that in the 50's, 60's 70's 80's etc and it has not materialized. Even if it ever did they would have to protect the coastline which would obviously include the football club.

The ice sheets are now melting a great deal faster than they were 60 years ago. Greenland is losing hundreds of billion tons of ice a year and it would only take a couple of the major ice shelves around Antarctica to collapse (and there are signs that this is occurring) for sea levels to rise several metres. I'm know we need to be considering the protection of housing first of all, but any overtopping of the defences would be likely to severely damage the ground and pitch. A move a little bit inland and a ground several feet/metres higher would be a longer-term proposition.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 98
jamesgtfc
February 28, 2023, 2:54pm
Vodka Drinker
I did a research project into an American and British stadium not so long ago. Large American stadia are typically built to last 30 years - the site of the $2bn Allegiant stadium was sold during construction and leased back for an initial 29 years. Most other countries think longer-term, 50-70 years being the expectation but all current Premier League grounds have either been built during the last 30 years, had significant work or are currently planning to extend, relocate or rebuild. Admittedly, the Taylor Report forced changes to be made but the point still stands that clubs are developing their stadia.

I'm conflicted regarding a Main Stand rebuild because the roof makes for excellent acoustics when it's rocking. But, to maximise views, any replacement roof would probably point up rather than down. Whilst going full length but maintaining the height, what could you feasibly get underneath the seats? Would there be any 7 day income opportunities that could be incorporated into it?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 98
MuddyWaters
February 28, 2023, 3:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
The problem with Annual Accounts is that they're basically a historical document by the time they are published.

Most of the club's good fortune has happened after the year end - basically the play off final, promotion, ST sales, McAtee fee and the cup run will all appear in 12 months' time.
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 98
WOZOFGRIMSBY
February 28, 2023, 3:31pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,909
Gold Stars: 180

They must be looking at that behind the scenes. Even a new "main stand" the same height but of course with unimpeded views and running the full length would be great, if expensive. A new stadium is surely out of our reach so if that is indeed the case I favour a gradual rebuilding of Blundell Park creating a unique stadium full of character and memories with a capacity we can be happy with.

I think this would near enough fit the bill. I initially thought a 2 tier stand from 6 yard box to 6 yard box, following the main stand dimensions already there would be near enough ideal. That way, the osmond corner could be demolished and far better utilised.

capacity wise am not sure how many extra seats it could provide, but the fact it could provide better facilities is a major plus. Catering/hospitality, changing rooms, disability etc could all benefit. But, is it a worthwhile project ? Am not sure it would be viewed by 1878 as something that is of upmost importance.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 98
lew chaterleys lover
February 28, 2023, 3:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from mimma
You can't built a garden shed these days without NIBYs crawling out of woodwork. Doubt planning permission would be granted, and any attempt to get planning permission would take years and be very costly

That would apply to a new stadium as well I guess.

Wouldn't the fact there is already an existing structure there help us with planning?

If I was a resident I would prefer a new smart structure than the cobbled together stand as it is now.

It will be fascinating to see what the next few years bring.
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 98
GollyGTFC
February 28, 2023, 3:38pm

Whiskey Drinker

Every bit of terracing at BP was demolished in the mid 90s including the terracing in the Pontoon Stand, Lower Findus and Osmond Stand. New terracing specifically designed for seating was installed in all 3 areas.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 63 - 98
grimps
February 28, 2023, 4:14pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from mimma

I don’t know ..
Nearly every Dormer bungalow gets approval over looking peoples houses , the good thing about a football stand is it’s facing the other way to the houses and if done right wouldn’t affect the sunlight in gardens
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 98
DB
February 28, 2023, 4:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from grimps

I don’t know ..
Nearly every Dormer bungalow gets approval over looking peoples houses , the good thing about a football stand is it’s facing the other way to the houses and if done right wouldn’t affect the sunlight in gardens

On the other hand, given the hot summer we've had it could be described as FREE SHADE!

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 98
grimps
February 28, 2023, 5:09pm
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker

Wouldn't the fact there is already an existing structure there help us with planning?

If I was a resident I would prefer a new smart structure than the cobbled together stand as it is now.

Looking at that photo we’d only have to buy 4 houses ( 2 at both ends )  either end of the Findus stand and we could extend it the full length and adding 2-3000
A new Main stand woukd add a couple more thousand and that would do us for the next ten or so years

Attachment: b6f69af828c8458d94bd2ddd388cd94b_620.jpeg
Size: 123.50 KB

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 98
NorthLondonMariner
February 28, 2023, 5:59pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +415
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from grimps

Looking at that photo we’d only have to buy 4 houses ( 2 at both ends )  either end of the Findus stand and we could extend it the full length and adding 2-3000
A new Main stand woukd add a couple more thousand and that would do us for the next ten or so years

Or link the lower to the Osmond by putting seats in the corner. the corner, all of the Osmond, and 3/4 or 1/2 of the Main all become home stands with away fans going in the first block or 2 of the main stand by the PA box.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 98
HerveJosse
February 28, 2023, 6:41pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.88
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,217
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from MuddyWaters
The problem with Annual Accounts is that they're basically a historical document by the time they are published.

Most of the club's good fortune has happened after the year end - basically the play off final, promotion, ST sales, McAtee fee and the cup run will all appear in 12 months' time.

The accounts say that if the play off final had taken place by 31 May rather then on 5th June the loss would have been increased by £171k.Presumably because promotion bonuses etc would then have been accrued in these accounts rather then falling into next year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 98
jamesgtfc
February 28, 2023, 6:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse

The accounts say that if the play off final had taken place by 31 May rather then on 5th June the loss would have been increased by £171k.Presumably because promotion bonuses etc would then have been accrued in these accounts rather then falling into next year.

Whilst I take your point, ticket sales etc would have also been factored in then.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 98
HerveJosse
February 28, 2023, 6:52pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Whilst I take your point, ticket sales etc would have also been factored in then.

The wording suggests the £171k extra loss is the net effect ie after reflecting ticket sales. Presumably  the profit from the day itself would be minimal given the stadium costs etc.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 98
jamesgtfc
February 28, 2023, 6:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse

The wording suggests the £171k extra loss is the net effect ie after reflecting ticket sales. Presumably  the profit from the day itself would be minimal given the stadium costs etc.

I seem to recall at the time that ticket revenue from all of the play-off games was split across all member clubs in the NL, NLN and NLS. Therefore the financial impact to Notts County of limiting our away support was minimal and probably influenced their decision to try gain an advantage.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 98
supertown
February 28, 2023, 6:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,461
Gold Stars: 53
I had the ‘pleasure’ of getting a seat at the back of the main stand for the Luton game. Absolutely awful view, like watching footy through a letterbox. I full intended to ask to move into the Osmond but we scored a bit early and didn’t want to tempt fate !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 98
immariner
February 28, 2023, 7:00pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,414
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Exactly that. And with the accounts not following the football season, it is impossible to gather the full picture, though the transparency should be lauded. Football accounts would make for much more lucid reading if they were all submitted for year end 31/05
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 98
White_shorts
February 28, 2023, 8:44pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -648
Gold Stars: 13

There won't be any complaints from residents if a new stadium was built as part of the 3,800 houses planned for Grimsby West.

People should stop wasting their time on Earth fantasising about redeveloping Blundell Park.  It was constructed at a time when most people did not own cars.  The council would now have to consider traffic congestion.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 98
lew chaterleys lover
February 28, 2023, 8:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from White_shorts

There won't be any complaints from residents if a new stadium was built as part of the 3,800 houses planned for Grimsby West.

People should stop wasting their time on Earth fantasising about redeveloping Blundell Park.  It was constructed at a time when most people did not own cars.  The council would now have to consider traffic congestion.

Won't there be traffic congestion at the site of a new stadium? There is traffic congestion at every ground I've been to, new or old. It's once every couple of weeks in the season so not really a problem.

Unless you know something we don't I can't see how we could ever afford a new ground.
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 98
ska face
February 28, 2023, 9:06pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,753
Gold Stars: 851
BP is a potentially more sustainable location in terms of traffic infrastructure than a brand new stadium at “Grimsby West”. BP is already served by a train station about 15-mins walk away, is located on the A180 and you’d imagine a large proportion of fans live a short walk away from the ground. Increasing capacity by 2-3k would have a lower impact on traffic than a brand new stadium in a residential area, only accessible by car.
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 98
HerveJosse
February 28, 2023, 9:24pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from ska face
BP is a potentially more sustainable location in terms of traffic infrastructure than a brand new stadium at “Grimsby West”. BP is already served by a train station about 15-mins walk away, is located on the A180 and you’d imagine a large proportion of fans live a short walk away from the ground. Increasing capacity by 2-3k would have a lower impact on traffic than a brand new stadium in a residential area, only accessible by car.

You won’t be getting a job in Planning.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 98
aldi_01
February 28, 2023, 9:25pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from ska face

Oh intercourse off talking sense…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 98
ska face
February 28, 2023, 9:36pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,753
Gold Stars: 851
Quoted from HerveJosse

You won’t be getting a job in Planning.

I’m a professional snowboarder and skateboarder, which should qualify me for a job as a masterplanner with Extreme Leisure Ltd.
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 98
ginnywings
February 28, 2023, 9:44pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Maringer

I think the opposite. There is a pre-existing structure, so it's more of a redevelopment project than a planning issue.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 98
jamesgtfc
February 28, 2023, 10:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

I think the opposite. There is a pre-existing structure, so it's more of a redevelopment project than a planning issue.

Absolutely zero expertise in planning but any extension would be difficult surely? A rebuild of the existing structure would surely be difficult to object to providing the height remained the same. For a start, it would be a much lower fire risk.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 98
Maringer
February 28, 2023, 10:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I'm working on the assumption that a new stand with increased capacity would need to have a higher roof than the current structure. Potentially substantially higher. That would be the issue with planning permission I'd have thought.

I'd imagine some sort of cantilever or other modern structure would allow a much better view for fans, but at the cost of greater height or not much higher capacity.

It would be nice if we could redevelop BP, but I can't see it being a goer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 98
DB
February 28, 2023, 10:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I have the impression from 1878 that any new stadium is on the back burner, mainly because of finance. AP did infer at the forum that they were looking at the corners of BP to increase the capacity there.

So in a nutshell 1878 are looking at some form of redevelopment at BP unless they get a partner with deep pockets to invest along their lines of sustainability and BCorp status.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 98
Bigdog
February 28, 2023, 10:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Maringer

You gullible fooker. I bet you still think masks work, Pfizer are lifesavers and Covid came from a bat sneezing on a pangolin..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 98
ginnywings
February 28, 2023, 10:44pm

Recovering Alcoholic
There are loads of examples of football clubs redeveloping and expanding their football grounds, and a lot of grounds in this country are in residential areas.

Residents can voice their fears over such developments, but they can't get them stopped unless they have a compelling reason, other than " I don't like it".

All parties are considered in planning applications, but ultimately, I can't see any reason that we couldn't knock down the Main Stand and rebuild it more fit for purpose. It wouldn't have to be any higher than it is either. Just longer and with better use of the space.

The houses at the back of the Main Stand came after the stand was built I reckon. They look like typical 30's Semi's to me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 98
lukeo
March 1, 2023, 5:56am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,395
Gold Stars: 149
Quoted from RichMariner

Although I agree we should look to increasing capacity if and when possible for the right price. The last 2 home games there was plenty of seats in the osmond available, all together aswell.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 98
DB
March 1, 2023, 6:45am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
There are loads of examples of football clubs redeveloping and expanding their football grounds, and a lot of grounds in this country are in residential areas.

Residents can voice their fears over such developments, but they can't get them stopped unless they have a compelling reason, other than " I don't like it".

All parties are considered in planning applications, but ultimately, I can't see any reason that we couldn't knock down the Main Stand and rebuild it more fit for purpose. It wouldn't have to be any higher than it is either. Just longer and with better use of the space.

The houses at the back of the Main Stand came after the stand was built I reckon. They look like typical 30's Semi's to me.

You make a good point here, also most residents will have moved in after the stands were built. So already they have accepted the situation, noise and match day parking and would have little to complain about if the ground is partially or fully developed.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 98
aldi_01
March 1, 2023, 6:51am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I’d argue that redevelopment of the main stand is very much doable, with the right planning and thought out processes. There aren’t many houses behind the stand and there’s the existing footprint the stand sits on. Modern architecture has proved you can get a lot on a small space.

I know people are obsessed with a new ground, May be because the previous incumbent never talked about anything else but for me it’s not really something I worry or think about. I suspect the new owners are the same, it’s a discussion but certainly not a priority.

Personally, should it happen, the last thing I want is a soulless bowl on the edge of town. They lack all the things we care about.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 98
grimps
March 1, 2023, 7:38am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01
I’d argue that redevelopment of the main stand is very much doable, with the right planning and thought out processes. There aren’t many houses behind the stand and there’s the existing footprint the stand sits on. Modern architecture has proved you can get a lot on a small space.

I know people are obsessed with a new ground, May be because the previous incumbent never talked about anything else but for me it’s not really something I worry or think about. I suspect the new owners are the same, it’s a discussion but certainly not a priority.

Personally, should it happen, the last thing I want is a soulless bowl on the edge of town. They lack all the things we care about.

I’d love a new ground and to get maximum potential and revenue we still definitely need one .
The problem is we’ve messed about for 30 years and probably missed our chance of ever being able to finance one .
The only solution for the next 10-20 years is to add 4-5000 to our existing ground somehow
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 98
gtfc_chris
March 1, 2023, 7:38am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,508
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from aldi_01

For years I've very much been in the 'we need a new stadium' group. I still am really for a certain amount of reasons, but I am finding myself thinking more about what BP could look like if re-developed. Much as I like the neat and tidiness of modern enclosed football stadia, I do still love an old fashioned ground, ones that have very real character and history.

If redevelopment is the way forward then the Main Stand has to be the one, not least for safety. Like ginny suggested, I don't think we'd need to increase the height so much, maybe a few rows if necessary/desired, building it similar to the pontoon where the walkways behind are all under the seats. Would bring the stand closer to houses (issue but gets an extra 5-6 rows maybe.

Simply extending the length, removing the posts, having a roof that doesn't restrict the view from the back rows and dugouts that are perhaps sat back into the stand will add a sensible number of additional seats for capacity and increase the overall quality of viewing.

If there's one thing I hate about this type of conversation it's that I'm now running in my head what it'll look like, when it will happen, they should let me design it etc etc. Suppose it's a more sane line of thinking than I could be the answer to the #9 problem!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 98
rancido
March 1, 2023, 8:19am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,617
Gold Stars: 96
Only time will tell if the club are permitted to develop BP to increase the capacity and provide better facilities. The Main Stand could be developed but I think it highly unlikely that it's height would be allowed to be increased through the planning stage. It's easy to argue that the inhabitants behind the Main Stand knew what they were doing moving into a property behind a football ground. Conversely they, through a half decent lawyer, could argue that with a changed profile/ height to the Main Stand and an increased capacity, then the conditions surrounding the area they bought their home has changed. I would imagine that all the posters who advocate developing BP and/or don't live in the adjoining streets or behind the Main Stand. A more feasible approach would be developing the open corners in being covered and seated. We can all debate what we think could/should happen but until plans are submitted or the Council are formally approached as to altering BP then none of us knows.
The only thing that I do know is that many years ago they Council , at that time, were approached about developing BP and they were more favourable of moving the ground. This was well documented in the GET at the time. Now that approach could have changed but we will only really know when the wheels are set in motion.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 98
lew chaterleys lover
March 1, 2023, 8:45am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from rancido
Only time will tell if the club are permitted to develop BP to increase the capacity and provide better facilities. The Main Stand could be developed but I think it highly unlikely that it's height would be allowed to be increased through the planning stage. It's easy to argue that the inhabitants behind the Main Stand knew what they were doing moving into a property behind a football ground. Conversely they, through a half decent lawyer, could argue that with a changed profile/ height to the Main Stand and an increased capacity, then the conditions surrounding the area they bought their home has changed. I would imagine that all the posters who advocate developing BP and/or don't live in the adjoining streets or behind the Main Stand. A more feasible approach would be developing the open corners in being covered and seated. We can all debate what we think could/should happen but until plans are submitted or the Council are formally approached as to altering BP then none of us knows.
The only thing that I do know is that many years ago they Council , at that time, were approached about developing BP and they were more favourable of moving the ground. This was well documented in the GET at the time. Now that approach could have changed but we will only really know when the wheels are set in motion.

I think stadiums all over the country have been redeveloped and moved with the times, just like residential properties are changed/enlarged.  We will be working to make the situation better not worse.

I would be astonished if we couldn't convince residents it would be better for them to look out on to a clean stylish revamped stadium. I am not sure there would be anything to object to once the work was completed.

The Barrett stand was demolished and rebuilt so we have a precedent there.

Private Message
Reply: 92 - 98
grimps
March 1, 2023, 9:01am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Attendances in all leagues have never been so high , our lack of foresight is definitely leaving us behind
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 98
OddShapedBalls
March 1, 2023, 9:26am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.02
Gold Stars: 40

Good point about planning permission but surely there are ways and means to alleviate any worries from residents?

Boring isn't it.  That's because the people spouting it ignore 2 things - the archimedes principle for the arctic and the fact the antarctic has a net gain in snow and ice of 82 billion tonnes a year which effectively neutralises any rise in water anyway.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 98
SteffiMariner
March 1, 2023, 9:39am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +408
Gold Stars: 19
Are we able to redevelop the Main Stand, I thought it was a Listed structure and we therefoer can't alter it? Or did I dream that?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 98
Maringer
March 1, 2023, 10:16am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Bigdog

You gullible fooker. I bet you still think masks work, Pfizer are lifesavers and Covid came from a bat sneezing on a pangolin..

Funnily enough, conspiracy guy, I agree that the first two of those are true because, y'now, the physics of how good quality masks work is undeniable as is the science and data behind the vaccination. If you want to believe otherwise due to some stuff from grifters on the Internet, then that's your choice.

Bats were certainly involved in Covid because it's so similar to SARS. Nobody really sure about the pangolin yet, though natural emergence still seems the most likely.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 98
ginnywings
March 1, 2023, 10:45am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from rancido

Filling in the corners and roofing them would introduce structures that are not presently there, so I don't see how that is more feasible than redeveloping a structure already in place.

If 1878 want to redevelop the existing structure, the residents can get all the lawyers they want, but unless they come up with something concrete and detrimental to their existence, it won't stop anything.

I remember the campaigns by those living behind the old Winter Gardens, trying to get the new apartments stopped. They succeeded in getting them capped to a certain height, but ultimately, they didn't get the plans overturned as they had no legitimate grounds to do so.

If planned structures got stopped every time residents complained, nothing would ever get built. There would be a consultation period with anyone affected, and maybe a few amendments, but outright rejection would be unlikely in my view.

Planning and building regs are different beasts, dealt with by different departments, and it is the latter that would present more of a headache I would have thought. The current structure is a bulding regs nightmare from a fire and egress point of view. The toilet and catering arrangements are archaic too, not to mention the changing rooms being from the Ark. The club have a very strong case to update the stand and bring it into the 21st century.

This is a stand that has constant checks due to it's age and the materials used in it's construction. Updating it would remove all of those concerns.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 98
rancido
March 1, 2023, 2:53pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,617
Gold Stars: 96

I think stadiums all over the country have been redeveloped and moved with the times, just like residential properties are changed/enlarged.  We will be working to make the situation better not worse.

I would be astonished if we couldn't convince residents it would be better for them to look out on to a clean stylish revamped stadium. I am not sure there would be anything to object to once the work was completed.

The Barrett stand was demolished and rebuilt so we have a precedent there.

Fair comments,as regards the local residents, but given the opportunity I bet they would rather have no stadium there at all.
The comparison with the Barratt Stand is ok but how long ago was that? Attitudes change and even tolerances to new developments can alter. I once lived in a local village with plenty of properties with large gardens. With new owners a lot of these became subject to applications for ' in-fill properties' with the gardens being split to accommodate this. After a while, following a change of personnel, the Parish Council , aided by an increasing number of local objections, started to reject all the new ones and it became harder to get them approved. I'm not saying that would happen with BP but even though precedents had been set in my example, new changes were rejected.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 98
10 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Accounts Released

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.