ginnywings
February 28, 2023, 9:44pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Maringer
I'd imagine that getting planning permission for a new Main Stand would be nigh on impossible. You'd expect that anything new would need to have higher roofing to improve views/capacity and anything which affected the views of houses behind on Harrington Street would surely fail to receive permission.

Looking in the (hopefully much) longer-term, we can't ignore the fact that sea levels are expected to rise significantly in coming decades. BP is the closest ground to the sea in the League and 2 feet above sea level so the potential for flooding is likely to become an even bigger issue unless there is some serious investment in coastal defences. The sea wall is pretty substantial for now, but how much longer will it remain effective when tides are lapping a couple of feet higher?

I think the opposite. There is a pre-existing structure, so it's more of a redevelopment project than a planning issue.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 98
jamesgtfc
February 28, 2023, 10:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from ginnywings

I think the opposite. There is a pre-existing structure, so it's more of a redevelopment project than a planning issue.

Absolutely zero expertise in planning but any extension would be difficult surely? A rebuild of the existing structure would surely be difficult to object to providing the height remained the same. For a start, it would be a much lower fire risk.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 98
Maringer
February 28, 2023, 10:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,649
Gold Stars: 189
I'm working on the assumption that a new stand with increased capacity would need to have a higher roof than the current structure. Potentially substantially higher. That would be the issue with planning permission I'd have thought.

I'd imagine some sort of cantilever or other modern structure would allow a much better view for fans, but at the cost of greater height or not much higher capacity.

It would be nice if we could redevelop BP, but I can't see it being a goer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 98
DB
February 28, 2023, 10:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.46
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
I have the impression from 1878 that any new stadium is on the back burner, mainly because of finance. AP did infer at the forum that they were looking at the corners of BP to increase the capacity there.

So in a nutshell 1878 are looking at some form of redevelopment at BP unless they get a partner with deep pockets to invest along their lines of sustainability and BCorp status.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 98
Bigdog
February 28, 2023, 10:41pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +36 / -1
Approval: +11,802
Gold Stars: 162
Quoted from Maringer
I'd imagine that getting planning permission for a new Main Stand would be nigh on impossible. You'd expect that anything new would need to have higher roofing to improve views/capacity and anything which affected the views of houses behind on Harrington Street would surely fail to receive permission.

Looking in the (hopefully much) longer-term, we can't ignore the fact that sea levels are expected to rise significantly in coming decades. BP is the closest ground to the sea in the League and 2 feet above sea level so the potential for flooding is likely to become an even bigger issue unless there is some serious investment in coastal defences. The sea wall is pretty substantial for now, but how much longer will it remain effective when tides are lapping a couple of feet higher?

You gullible fooker. I bet you still think masks work, Pfizer are lifesavers and Covid came from a bat sneezing on a pangolin..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 98
ginnywings
February 28, 2023, 10:44pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
There are loads of examples of football clubs redeveloping and expanding their football grounds, and a lot of grounds in this country are in residential areas.

Residents can voice their fears over such developments, but they can't get them stopped unless they have a compelling reason, other than " I don't like it".

All parties are considered in planning applications, but ultimately, I can't see any reason that we couldn't knock down the Main Stand and rebuild it more fit for purpose. It wouldn't have to be any higher than it is either. Just longer and with better use of the space.

The houses at the back of the Main Stand came after the stand was built I reckon. They look like typical 30's Semi's to me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 98
lukeo
March 1, 2023, 5:56am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,396
Gold Stars: 149
Quoted from RichMariner
BP capacity is 9,000 (or thereabouts).

Our average attendance this season is 6,500-ish, but rather than talking about the attendance we should be talking about number of tickets sold, as I suspect this will be averaging over 7,000.

On average, up to 10% of people don't turn up despite paying for their seat because of illnesses, birthdays, weddings, stag dos, hen dos, holidays, shift work, etc.

Therefore a crowd of around 8,200 would be a sell-out at BP these days. It's possible 9,000 tickets are sold, but only 8,200 turn up.

Basically, the capacity of the home end is about 7,000, minus 10% of no-showers takes it down to 6,300. Take away the restricted view seats, and that brings it below 6,000.

We sold over 5,500 season tickets, which leaves just a few hundred seats available each game, and these are not together. They're dotted around the place, making it impossible for friends and families to attend together as a group.

If we filled in corners to increase the capacity to something like 11,000 then we would consistently get attendances higher than 6,500 because we'd be creating room for friends and families to sit together, and not be relying on individuals plugging random holes in the seating plan.

Although I agree we should look to increasing capacity if and when possible for the right price. The last 2 home games there was plenty of seats in the osmond available, all together aswell.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 98
DB
March 1, 2023, 6:45am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.46
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from ginnywings
There are loads of examples of football clubs redeveloping and expanding their football grounds, and a lot of grounds in this country are in residential areas.

Residents can voice their fears over such developments, but they can't get them stopped unless they have a compelling reason, other than " I don't like it".

All parties are considered in planning applications, but ultimately, I can't see any reason that we couldn't knock down the Main Stand and rebuild it more fit for purpose. It wouldn't have to be any higher than it is either. Just longer and with better use of the space.

The houses at the back of the Main Stand came after the stand was built I reckon. They look like typical 30's Semi's to me.

You make a good point here, also most residents will have moved in after the stands were built. So already they have accepted the situation, noise and match day parking and would have little to complain about if the ground is partially or fully developed.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 98
aldi_01
March 1, 2023, 6:51am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I’d argue that redevelopment of the main stand is very much doable, with the right planning and thought out processes. There aren’t many houses behind the stand and there’s the existing footprint the stand sits on. Modern architecture has proved you can get a lot on a small space.

I know people are obsessed with a new ground, May be because the previous incumbent never talked about anything else but for me it’s not really something I worry or think about. I suspect the new owners are the same, it’s a discussion but certainly not a priority.

Personally, should it happen, the last thing I want is a soulless bowl on the edge of town. They lack all the things we care about.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 98
grimps
March 1, 2023, 7:38am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +5,136
Gold Stars: 46
Quoted from aldi_01
I’d argue that redevelopment of the main stand is very much doable, with the right planning and thought out processes. There aren’t many houses behind the stand and there’s the existing footprint the stand sits on. Modern architecture has proved you can get a lot on a small space.

I know people are obsessed with a new ground, May be because the previous incumbent never talked about anything else but for me it’s not really something I worry or think about. I suspect the new owners are the same, it’s a discussion but certainly not a priority.

Personally, should it happen, the last thing I want is a soulless bowl on the edge of town. They lack all the things we care about.

I’d love a new ground and to get maximum potential and revenue we still definitely need one .
The problem is we’ve messed about for 30 years and probably missed our chance of ever being able to finance one .
The only solution for the next 10-20 years is to add 4-5000 to our existing ground somehow
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 98
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Accounts Released

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.