Poojah
January 1, 2023, 9:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,667
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from Roast Em Bobby

Jason said in his most recent interview that Andrew and him have both just put another 250K each in again recently (I assume this on top of the same amount they added in the summer, but don't know for sure) and he said we are still going to make a loss this year. So it sounds like the extra season ticket sales, cup runs and McAtee money hasn't gone as far as some would imagine.

I haven’t heard the interview, but I’ve heard references to him have alluded to the above. It just seems a little bit odd. Gates, the club’s primary source of income, are up around 45% and whilst I have no doubt that player wage expectations are higher than they were two or three seasons ago, you’d imagine increases in TV and advertising money would largely offset this.

I have no doubt that the current squad and back room set-up is considerably more expensive than the equivalent Fenty’-era alternative, but it surprises me that it is apparently so much so that the club is effectively loss-making despite the financial crest of a wave we find ourselves on.

Perhaps I simply underestimate the costs of upgraded club / staff infrastructure.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 28
aldi_01
January 1, 2023, 9:19pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Poojah

I haven’t heard the interview, but I’ve heard references to him have alluded to the above. It just seems a little bit odd. Gates, the club’s primary source of income, are up around 45% and whilst I have no doubt that player wage expectations are higher than they were two or three seasons ago, you’d imagine increases in TV and advertising money would largely offset this.

I have no doubt that the current squad and back room set-up is considerably more expensive than the equivalent Fenty’-era alternative, but it surprises me that it is apparently so much so that the club is effectively loss-making despite the financial crest of a wave we find ourselves on.

Perhaps I simply underestimate the costs of upgraded club / staff infrastructure.

I think it’s very much the latter and I suspect that loss is being generated because of the necessary need for investment in areas most clubs invested in yonks ago.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 28
TownSNAFU5
January 1, 2023, 9:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,894
Gold Stars: 42
In less than a week we could be in the fourth round of the FAC.  Another chance to be drawn against a top team and make a lot of money.  This would be the first time in the 4th round for 20 years I think).

A win next Sat would mean another re-evaluation of our season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 28
forza ivano
January 1, 2023, 9:23pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,267
Gold Stars: 266
Just waiting for Denni to come on here or the Just Back thread to put us right!
his silence on good days is deafening
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 28
Roast Em Bobby
January 1, 2023, 9:41pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +11 / -2
Approval: +1,723
Gold Stars: 44
Quoted from Poojah

Probably the latter, plus we also re-signed or signed something like 13 players (all I'm assuming on more than what we were paying many of the same players last year), and we paid £100K for Hunt, and maybe something for Green as well?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 28
HertsGTFC
January 1, 2023, 9:53pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
First and foremost after a disastrous relegation we’re back in the EFL it would have been hell trying to get out this time. Also we effectively need 20 points from the 69 available to stay here.

I don’t know what the details are but we have new owners who know how to organise an organisation and understand that this club is not about one individual.

We are building in the background so we have experience & expertise working in areas where it’s required.

Once JSF is dealt with I’m 100% confident that AP & JS will attract other investors who will help us take the next steps on the pitch.

In terms of on the pitch despite what the the anti anyone from Yorkshire mafia might think we have a manager who knows what he’s doing and has many more tools to do it than he’s done before.

The squad is ok but will need strengthening including at least 1 credible striker but the core for the first time in ages will start next season with us and some beyond that.

We won’t get promoted this season but we’re in a stronger position now than I think we’ve been in over a decade.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 28
RonMariner
January 1, 2023, 11:14pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,789
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from jamesgtfc

We may not have got the cash for McAtee up front. The second installment of £500k was due yesterday but you would expect the Pollock, Grist, Dembele and McAtee money has taken care of most of the loan. Anything that was due must have been minimal so I think we can comfortably assume he's paid off now.

I’m pretty sure Jason said that Fenty has been paid off in full early. The transfer fees plus the first scheduled payment of 500k paid off the vast majority of the 1.5m loans and so Jason paid the balance off in the summer I believe.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 28
MarinerDevil
January 1, 2023, 11:17pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +2,779
Gold Stars: 80
Quoted from RonMariner

I’m pretty sure Jason said that Fenty has been paid off in full early. The transfer fees plus the first scheduled payment of 500k paid off the vast majority of the 1.5m loans and so Jason paid the balance off in the summer I believe.

Yes, Jason said in the summer that they'd decided to clear the historical debt early. The confirmation statement filed in November, however, showed no new share issue since March 2021. So I can only assume they replaced it with another loan? I'm no accountant, so that's one to ask at the fans forum perhaps.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 28
immariner
January 2, 2023, 12:30am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +20 / -4
Approval: +3,414
Gold Stars: 61
Quoted from Poojah

I haven’t heard the interview, but I’ve heard references to him have alluded to the above. It just seems a little bit odd. Gates, the club’s primary source of income, are up around 45%

Some rough figures: total attendances are up around 15%, with home support up around 800 supporters per game. This increase is tempered by the vast majority paying £14/£15 per game. We had around 2000 walk ups last year paying full price, this year we average about 400. Last season we had 62% of supporters paying 72% of the entrance fee (season ticket holders) and 38% paying full price (walk ups). This year we have 92% paying 72% of the entrance fee with only 8% paying full price. Away support at Blundell Park has increased by about 130 on average or around 40%

Edit: my stats are shite. With ST no-shows, walk ups are probably closer to 1000 on average per game. So sold seats might be closer to 25% up, not 15%
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 28
DB
January 2, 2023, 7:23am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from immariner

Some rough figures: total attendances are up around 15%, with home support up around 800 supporters per game. This increase is tempered by the vast majority paying £14/£15 per game. We had around 2000 walk ups last year paying full price, this year we average about 400. Last season we had 62% of supporters paying 72% of the entrance fee (season ticket holders) and 38% paying full price (walk ups). This year we have 92% paying 72% of the entrance fee with only 8% paying full price. Away support at Blundell Park has increased by about 130 on average or around 40%

Am I right to assume what you are saying is that although the sale of ST's increased the revenue didn't? That the reality of your estimation is that the attendance income is more or less the same as last year despite the increase in attendance.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 28
3 Pages Prev 1 2 3 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Where We Are: Some Context

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.