Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › PH post match.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 204 Guests

PH post match.

This thread currently has 8,440 views. Print
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
forza ivano
December 31, 2022, 10:51am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,269
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from pen penfras

Ahh, the number two lapper upper is here to tell me how I'm not allowed to see through the bs talk to the underlying message that on the pitch, we aren't really spending any more than we have done for the last 20 years.

sorry, what were you saying about bullshit??

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 80
pen penfras
December 31, 2022, 10:54am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -129
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I understand the need to manage expectations. We seem to have a ‘feast or famine’ fan base and very little grey area in the middle. I’m sure PH is very conscious of the expectation level that Operation Promotion raised and doesn’t want that to happen again.

That said, the continuous improvement of which the chairman speaks is in danger of hitting the buffers if we only replace ok players with ok players.

I understand it too, I don't expect anybody to put their own money in to fund our club. Never did before and never will.

What I'm not a fan of is that they made some rather derogatory comments about the old board and had all sorts of statements about bigger budgets and new stadiums, but then get in the hotseat and all the extra money is going on office staff, new barriers and sprinkler systems. I'm not saying they're completely unnecessary, but I'd rather see us actually finish in the top half of L2 for once, and I'm struggling to see the benefit of it all right now.

The last interview he claimed they've put in £250k between them this season to keep the club going. The increase in office staff costs must be far higher than that, not to mention all the legal fees we need at the moment for disgruntled ex staff. If we're really spending more this season than 3 years ago, then the only explanation is that they're not very good at negotiating contracts.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 80
pen penfras
December 31, 2022, 10:57am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -129
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from forza ivano

sorry, what were you saying about bullshit??

https://www.skysports.com/football/crystal-palace-vs-grimsby-town/teams/403464

How many of the current team get into that side? McAtee, Khan and Crocombe. So where's the money gone?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 80
lew chaterleys lover
December 31, 2022, 10:57am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from RichMariner
Maybe we're not in the bottom six because we've stuck by our manager.

I get fed up of fans thinking that every poor run has to end with the manager getting the sack. Surely, by now, we all know that changing managers (for us) has done absolutely nothing to turn the tide.

Consistently, literally over decades, the only time it worked was when we sacked Woods and got Scott & Hurst (even then, they weren't first choice, Scott got released and it took Hurst a few more seasons after that to deliver success).

Good luck to the likes of Barrow and Stevenage. I'd like to know how they're also progressing off the pitch, because they might get a season or two in L1 but they'll be back down in L2/NL before long if they're not sorted behind the scenes.

Because it's what happens off the pitch that ultimately brings clubs down. Every club that has fallen into the NL has been badly run behind the scenes.

Get that right, and the rest will follow. That's 1878's strategy. This means it might take time, but as they keep reiterating, we're already ahead of schedule on the playing side.

As always, we're caught up in the minutiae. Take a look at the big picture. We might not be a million miles ahead of where we were two years ago on the pitch, but off it we're moving on in a big way.

I get the criticism of Hurst, it's understandable that he's being questioned. No one is safe in this day and age. His current record might be worse than Holloway's last eight games but that's to discount the decent start we made to the season — we didn't get that under Holloway in 20/21. It was shíte from the off, and it got worse from there. Some embarrassing heavy defeats (Salford, Tranmere, Exeter, Southend).

I entirely agree the infrastructure must be right as that has held us back for so long.

I think managers are a different kettle of fish though; if they do well they get poached. If they do badly they get the sack. Very few clubs have prolonged success with the same manager but neither do you want to be trigger happy.

I think we will strike a happy medium and give every manager enough time but I think the owners will show their ruthless side when the time comes, whoever is manager.
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 80
jamesgtfc
December 31, 2022, 11:02am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from pen penfras

The last interview he claimed they've put in £250k between them this season to keep the club going. The increase in office staff costs must be far higher than that, not to mention all the legal fees we need at the moment for disgruntled ex staff. If we're really spending more this season than 3 years ago, then the only explanation is that they're not very good at negotiating contracts.

Care to elaborate? How many are taking the club to court and what for?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 80
Maringer
December 31, 2022, 11:05am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,647
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from pen penfras

So where's the money gone?

Spent rebuilding the structures at the club after they had been left to wither and decay under the previous ownership. Oh, and paying back those 'benign loans'.

Absolutely mind-bending that we still get this sort of pro-Fenty crap disguised as digs at the new owners given how disastrous his tenure at the club became over the years.

Almost as though a few posters have an agenda they are working to.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 80
It Bites
December 31, 2022, 11:07am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,257
Gold Stars: 266
Quoted from pen penfras

How many of the current team get into that side? McAtee, Khan and Crocombe. So where's the money gone?

I was asking questions a few weeks ago and the answer is we are no better off on the pitch than the last time we came up . It's just the same old crap week in week out . The only decent football I've seen in the last 20 years was in the conference, is that still our level ?  The improvements offthe pitch were essential but the team are dreadful
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 80
marinerjase
December 31, 2022, 11:59am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Rep Score: +31 / -1
Approval: +2,665
Gold Stars: 147
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Care to elaborate? How many are taking the club to court and what for?

The silence is deafening. Come on Pen Penfras..you’re quick to jump on anything post your mates era normally..

‘I just f*cking threw myself at it’

Mani D 23 May 2022
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 80
kevikov
December 31, 2022, 12:58pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +14 / -5
Approval: +834
Gold Stars: 13
Whether we are ahead of schedule/plan/wishes doesnt affect the reality of where we are. We got promoted last year, obviously it was mental, unexpected and bloody ace but we got promoted. Plans change, schedules are tweaked and altered, wishes come true and realities change. As managers and owners its not an excuse or expectation management to use it so. We sold Mc atee to luton and got him back for a year, we knew without a doubt hed be missing for 3-4 months minimum with his shoulder, that left us with Taylor, who with the best will in the world isnt ever going to lead the line for a L2 team for a full season. So we knew we needed not only younger, non expoerienced albeit higher level strikers as cover, we needed full pros to come in and be our main strikers, because taylor wouldnt manage 46 games on the trot and mc atee was out for months. This wasnt addressed and dealt with. Doesnt matter how good your defence is, they will have off days and injuries/suspensions which will affect their performance, but if we cant get the ball to stick past the halfway line or score regularly, eventually it will affect the team as a whole. negatively.

I was there, the day Bradley Wood scored a 35 yarder!

From the black and white striped shirts
To the fish in the sea
You'll hear us singing
Coz we are Grimsby.

You won't hear us crying
But you'll hear us shout
Coz we are the Grimsby
And this is our chant.......... Grimsby! Grimsby! Grimsby!

A.S.A.F.A.T.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 80
DB
December 31, 2022, 1:01pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from pen penfras

Ask Fenty, he ran the club in 2019.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 80
9 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › PH post match.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.