Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › World Cup Match Thread and talk (merged)
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 216 Guests

World Cup Match Thread and talk (merged)

This thread currently has 57,098 views. Print
90 Pages Prev ... 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 Next All Recommend Thread
OddShapedBalls
December 20, 2022, 3:47pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.02
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 40
I'd rather both teams had lost if that were possible.  If I'd given a big enough bribe to FIFA I'm sure that could have been arranged too.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 870 - 890
lukeo
December 20, 2022, 4:39pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,396
Gold Stars: 149
Quoted from OddShapedBalls
I'd rather both teams had lost if that were possible.  If I'd given a big enough bribe to FIFA I'm sure that could have been arranged too.  

Well..... if both teams were reduced to 7 men and then to get a further man sent off each the game would have been abandoned. The trophy would then go to the team with the best disciplinary record which was
England!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 871 - 890
OddShapedBalls
December 20, 2022, 4:55pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.02
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,194
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from lukeo

Well..... if both teams were reduced to 7 men and then to get a further man sent off each the game would have been abandoned. The trophy would then go to the team with the best disciplinary record which was
England!

I knew Southgate had a hidden masterplan!  Pity the ref in the final wasn't card-happy...... still, with 48 teams at the next world cup the chances of either Argentina or France reaching the final in 2026 are a bit less.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 872 - 890
TownSNAFU5
December 20, 2022, 7:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,894
Gold Stars: 42
There is a FairPlay discussion  elsewhere for div 2.  England won the FairPlay award at the World Cup with only one yellow card. (Maguire).

Are we too decent and honourable though as a team?

Argentina have no scruples about cynically a dangerous attacking player.  In the final a foot was left in on a tackle on Mbappe.  They did manage to win the World Cup.

Years ago, before they changed the rules on an amnesty, Argentina got to the final with 5 or 6 players suspended.  Now they can get away with dirty play against the Netherlands and France.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 873 - 890
HerveJosse
December 20, 2022, 8:12pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.88
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,209
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
There is a FairPlay discussion  elsewhere for div 2.  England won the FairPlay award at the World Cup with only one yellow card. (Maguire).

Are we too decent and honourable though as a team?

Argentina have no scruples about cynically a dangerous attacking player.  In the final a foot was left in on a tackle on Mbappe.  They did manage to win the World Cup.

Years ago, before they changed the rules on an amnesty, Argentina got to the final with 5 or 6 players suspended.  Now they can get away with dirty play against the Netherlands and France.

Clutching at straws . Don’t think it changed any results. Only thing I could see influenced which results in the competition beyond players ability and tactical changes from managers was one poor referee in the England France game. Overall referees where excellent and we drew the short straw .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 874 - 890
supertown
December 20, 2022, 8:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,461
Gold Stars: 53
Quoted from OddShapedBalls

I knew Southgate had a hidden masterplan!  Pity the ref in the final wasn't card-happy...... still, with 48 teams at the next world cup the chances of either Argentina or France reaching the final in 2026 are a bit less.

They are going to reverse that decision
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 875 - 890
aldi_01
December 22, 2022, 7:01am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from HerveJosse

Clutching at straws . Don’t think it changed any results. Only thing I could see influenced which results in the competition beyond players ability and tactical changes from managers was one poor referee in the England France game. Overall referees where excellent and we drew the short straw .

There were some dreadful refereeing performances but mixed in there were some decent ones.

I think it’s fair to have a discussion about two teams reaching a final, that, as evidence suggests, benefitted immensely from Qatari money. The relationship between Macron, Qatar and Infantino was very sickly.

The final was THE final the pundits, talking heads and too folk in the game wanted, Messi v Mbappe…and they got it.

I have no issue with Messi winning a World Cup and I don’t believe the final was a fix, France were dreadful, Mbappe wasn’t happy, then the lottery of penalties etc. I just think there’s a bigger question or discussion about who reached the final. Similarly, the one truly awful refereeing performance came from a Brazilian, in favour of France. Again, a bloke from a country that has gained financially from Qatari cash working in favour of France.

The rhetoric will forever be about how amazing the World Cup was, it wasn’t. The final was great but if you do actually look back over the tournament, it was no better than any that have gone before. There’s always an outsider that does well. A big side always goes out in the group stage, a couple of teams that should progress don’t and the cream rises to the top.

Simple fact is, it should never have been held there.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 876 - 890
DB
December 22, 2022, 10:28am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.46
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from aldi_01

There were some dreadful refereeing performances but mixed in there were some decent ones.

I think it’s fair to have a discussion about two teams reaching a final, that, as evidence suggests, benefitted immensely from Qatari money. The relationship between Macron, Qatar and Infantino was very sickly.

The final was THE final the pundits, talking heads and too folk in the game wanted, Messi v Mbappe…and they got it.

I have no issue with Messi winning a World Cup and I don’t believe the final was a fix, France were dreadful, Mbappe wasn’t happy, then the lottery of penalties etc. I just think there’s a bigger question or discussion about who reached the final. Similarly, the one truly awful refereeing performance came from a Brazilian, in favour of France. Again, a bloke from a country that has gained financially from Qatari cash working in favour of France.

The rhetoric will forever be about how amazing the World Cup was, it wasn’t. The final was great but if you do actually look back over the tournament, it was no better than any that have gone before. There’s always an outsider that does well. A big side always goes out in the group stage, a couple of teams that should progress don’t and the cream rises to the top.

Simple fact is, it should never have been held there.

Your point regarding refereeing simply illustrates that there is an inconstancy in the quality of referring regardless of the competition beit the World Cup or EFL L2. Unfortunately, we will have to be mindful of this when Town play.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 877 - 890
WOZOFGRIMSBY
December 22, 2022, 10:38am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,915
Gold Stars: 180
Quoted from lukeo

England!

Slightly incorrect. Croatia v Morocco would’ve had to have been abandoned with 4 each sent off, and then we would’ve  been successful

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 878 - 890
GollyGTFC
December 23, 2022, 7:31am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +6,048
Gold Stars: 358
Hagrid drop us a DM for settling our bet. Sorry for the delay I was away with work from Sunday morning.

Fair play to Scalloni. Picked the perfect system. Deschamps on the other hand should surely have anticipated Argentina overloading central midfield. The better coach won.

And a message to Brazil about how they could return to the top of the international game. Don’t just expect to turn up and beat teams without working hard.

Defending seems to have become a lost art in modern football. Possibly because so many teams invite pressure  by suicidal playing out from the back?

Overall it was a really low quality World Cup. Every team had a major flaw. Argentina’s dodgy defence overcame France’s weak midfield.in the Final. The difference? Goalkeeper. I’ve never really understood Lloris being so highly rated. When it went to penalties there was only likely to be one winner.
Logged Online
Private Message Skype
Reply: 879 - 890
90 Pages Prev ... 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › World Cup Match Thread and talk (merged)

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.