5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Marinerdeano
November 13, 2022, 8:31pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +467
Gold Stars: 27
Town fans, come on. A few months ago we experienced pretty much a maximum high in footballing terms. Now there is no end of disgruntlement, petty arguments, random tangents in debates that go so away from the point of an original post. It's as if loads of us are on a come down and are just lashing out here, there and everywhere. One guy yesterday practically threw himself over the top tier of the upper in anger. We have come a long way in a short space of time, there may have to be some patience at times and yes some debates are healthy and yes there is a right for constructive criticism but sometimes take a breathe, pinch yourself on how we are securely back in the football league and embrace your fellow Grimbarian.  Views may differ but listening isn't about thinking about how you can interject with your viewpoint all of the time, sometimes it is about learning how someone has reached that conclusion whether you agree or not.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, we aren't in a bad place right now. Of course there are areas that need to improve but a collective kindred spirit is important. After all, we all want to see our club do well and we can all agree on that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
ginnywings
November 13, 2022, 8:41pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Well said Deano. At the end of the day, it's just a footy match and there are a lot more sh1tty things happening right now than losing to Donny.

If the guy you are referring to in the Upper is the same guy I am thinking of, then I thought he was genuinely going to burst a blood vessel in his head. The anger and rage he displayed wasn't really commensurate with us losing a football match and I very much doubt the target of his bile could hear what he was saying anyway.

The anger seems to have spilled over onto all forms of social media.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 47
Poojah
November 13, 2022, 9:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,667
Gold Stars: 1,508
I’ve done my best to keep off here for the past 24 hours, on the basis of the likely response to a poor performance, poor result and our third straight league defeat, but whilst I agree with the sentiment of not overcooking the negativity, I can also understand why criticism is being aired by some.

Looking at it objectively, we have the sixth largest average crowd in League Two, and received a presumably chunky fee for McAtee in August. That should surely equate to a top 10 budget at the very least and even allowing for the transitional state we are in, our current position of 14th on the back of having our árses handed to us by mid-table Donny is a bit below par, isn’t it?

I’m not unduly concerned by what is, for now at least, a bit of a bad patch, and I remain steadfastly behind the manager and players. However, if we’re talking openly and honestly about the last 3 games and the impact they’ve had on the complexion of the table then it’s not quite good enough, is it? I think it’s reasonable enough to say as much.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 47
aldi_01
November 13, 2022, 9:28pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from ginnywings
Well said Deano. At the end of the day, it's just a footy match and there are a lot more sh1tty things happening right now than losing to Donny.

If the guy you are referring to in the Upper is the same guy I am thinking of, then I thought he was genuinely going to burst a blood vessel in his head. The anger and rage he displayed wasn't really commensurate with us losing a football match and I very much doubt the target of his bile could hear what he was saying anyway.

The anger seems to have spilled over onto all forms of social media.

Social media has no filter, it’s always gonna happen. It’s no different to the bloke who moans about the referee regardless of his performance. The bloke that loams about substitutes without knowing the guidelines. The people who shout ‘go forward’ all the fuvking time.

Did anyone expect anything other than irrational shouting online…those are always the loudest. Ironic isn’t it? I came on here the night of the Wrexham game, think it was quieter after one of the greatest town games ever than it is after a mid season defeat…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 47
MuddyWaters
November 13, 2022, 9:29pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,277
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Poojah
I’ve done my best to keep off here for the past 24 hours, on the basis of the likely response to a poor performance, poor result and our third straight league defeat, but whilst I agree with the sentiment of not overcooking the negativity, I can also understand why criticism is being aired by some.

Looking at it objectively, we have the sixth largest average crowd in League Two, and received a presumably chunky fee for McAtee in August. That should surely equate to a top 10 budget at the very least and even allowing for the transitional state we are in, our current position of 14th on the back of having our árses handed to us by mid-table Donny is a bit below par, isn’t it?

I’m not unduly concerned by what is, for now at least, a bit of a bad patch, and I remain steadfastly behind the manager and players. However, if we’re talking openly and honestly about the last 3 games and the impact they’ve had on the complexion of the table then it’s not quite good enough, is it? I think it’s reasonable enough to say as much.

I think that’s a perfectly reasonable assessment with the added caveat that we are all wary of what happened this time last season.

Love him or loathe him, Ryan Taylor has been the fulcrum around whom our attack has been based and the failure to get an alternative in may well define the next couple of months. Time will tell.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 47
ginnywings
November 13, 2022, 9:37pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
It's not criticism that's the problem as the team clearly deserved it. It's the manner and intensity of said criticism that's the problem.

Everything is being questioned. The players, the manager, the board, the budget, who just got a job in the office, the seating arrangements, the upgrades to the ground, the ground itself.

After years of underperforming in every area, some fans seem to think the new guys should solve every single problem of the last 20 years almost overnight.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 47
Marinerdeano
November 13, 2022, 10:03pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +467
Gold Stars: 27
Quoted from Poojah

Absolutely, as always measured and constructive. Totally agree that the striker situation remains frustrating and there is often a feeling of 'why can't we have a bit of that' when you see opposition strikers, particularly like you say given the increased income generated from fans.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 47
HertsGTFC
November 13, 2022, 10:30pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
It does make me smile, certain posters on here wanted Fenty out, eventually that happened.

Now after less than 2 years the same people are moaning about JS & AP and DC clearly because in that that 2 years all that has happened is …

- Recruited a good manager and backed/stuck by him
- Got rid of a poor very large poor playing squad
- Brought in a load of honest pros who get on well
- Won promotion back at the first attempt.
- Failed to get a striker but money is available we believe
- The overall playing squad is better
- Paid fees for players
- We now offer 2/3 year deals
- Cheapside is better
- The support staff reflects a club that’s serious
- The pitch at BP is better
- As it stands we’re still in 2 knock out competitions
- Done an equitable deal for McAtee
- Seems like the Youth set up is thriving
- The first year pro pipeline looks stable
- Player support feels better - Looked after by Cokey

Oh and I forgot….

- The owners and exec listen
- People are interested in GTFC
- Fenty is getting paid, I think ahead of schedule
- We have a new major sponsor who look long term
- Record season ticket sales
- Great attendances overall
- Some work done on BP, more to do though
- Food is better, if IMHO a bit pricey
- They’re working with the trust not against it.
- There’s some good community stuff going on for sure
- Kids got to design the 3rd kit and others are benefiting
- Though it’s not visible to all there is a plan for the training ground

I’m sure there’s more.

Yes they’ve made a few PR mistakes like the badge thing but nothing to the magnitude of Alex May, flasks or flag deconstruction.

.From time to time me included people will not be happy with results and other bits (my current gripe is £2.50 for tea in the Upper) but overall this club is unrecognisable from the one Fenty and the other muppets left behind and I suspect is more stable than many in the pyramid.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 47
promotion plaice
November 13, 2022, 11:09pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,086
Gold Stars: 200

We're 14th in League Two with a game in hand over all the teams above us, McAtee coming back as well, 11 points outside the relegation places with a game in hand, I would have been over the moon with this 12 months ago, chill out peoples.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 47
chaos33
November 13, 2022, 11:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,971
Gold Stars: 361
Good balanced view. Me too.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 47
5 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › A maximum high

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.