5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
lukeo
November 14, 2022, 5:27am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,395
Gold Stars: 149
We're mid table in league 2 (after promotion)
We're in round 2 of the fa cup
We're through the micky mouse pizza trophy
We got some money from Mcatee and got him back
We have an almost full BP each week
The all round BP experience is/has improved/ing

Just a few things to try remember and consider.. Luckily for me I haven't spent alot of money getting to town games but I have watched every game online. Yes, we are very poor going forward at the moment but I'd much rather be mid table league 2 in a bit of a rough patch struggling to create chances then hovering around the NL play offs... Keep the faith guys, this seasons all about stability on and off the pitch. Aslong as we stay in the league anything else (ie Cup run) is a bonus.
I expected mid table, I've been hoping we can try challenge or be up near the play offs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 47
DB
November 14, 2022, 5:58am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from HertsGTFC
It does make me smile, certain posters on here wanted Fenty out, eventually that happened.

Now after less than 2 years the same people are moaning about JS & AP and DC clearly because in that that 2 years all that has happened is …

- Recruited a good manager and backed/stuck by him
- Got rid of a poor very large poor playing squad
- Brought in a load of honest pros who get on well
- Won promotion back at the first attempt.
- Failed to get a striker but money is available we believe
- The overall playing squad is better
- Paid fees for players
- We now offer 2/3 year deals
- Cheapside is better
- The support staff reflects a club that’s serious
- The pitch at BP is better
- As it stands we’re still in 2 knock out competitions
- Done an equitable deal for McAtee
- Seems like the Youth set up is thriving
- The first year pro pipeline looks stable
- Player support feels better - Looked after by Cokey

Oh and I forgot….

- The owners and exec listen
- People are interested in GTFC
- Fenty is getting paid, I think ahead of schedule
- We have a new major sponsor who look long term
- Record season ticket sales
- Great attendances overall
- Some work done on BP, more to do though
- Food is better, if IMHO a bit pricey
- They’re working with the trust not against it.
- There’s some good community stuff going on for sure
- Kids got to design the 3rd kit and others are benefiting
- Though it’s not visible to all there is a plan for the training ground

I’m sure there’s more.

Yes they’ve made a few PR mistakes like the badge thing but nothing to the magnitude of Alex May, flasks or flag deconstruction.

Plus from Lukeo
[quote=449]We're mid table in league 2 (after promotion)
We're in round 2 of the fa cup
We're through the micky mouse pizza trophy
We got some money from Mcatee and got him back
We have an almost full BP each week
The all round BP experience is/has improved/ing

I agree with all of this and not forgetting the Trust in supporting the Fanzone and other work they do.

We sometimes forget what we had to what we have now. Not bad in 17months from a zero starting point.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 47
dapperz fun pub
November 14, 2022, 7:17am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.59
Rep Score: +37 / -6
Approval: +10,021
Gold Stars: 83
We’re doing ok ish mid table is about right with our up and down performances so far. I think the problem with the  club in general is that we’re further on than the new owners expected so quickly. Of course they wanted promotion from the dog and duck league but it happened so quickly hardly enough time to stabilise the ship. For me I can’t complain about anything the new owners have done so far but that’s not to say their exempt from criticism in the future
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 47
moss_side_mariner
November 14, 2022, 8:07am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.15
Rep Score: +9 / 0
Approval: +1,043
Gold Stars: 3
Quoted from Marinerdeano
Town fans, come on. A few months ago we experienced pretty much a maximum high in footballing terms. Now there is no end of disgruntlement, petty arguments, random tangents in debates that go so away from the point of an original post. It's as if loads of us are on a come down and are just lashing out here, there and everywhere. One guy yesterday practically threw himself over the top tier of the upper in anger. We have come a long way in a short space of time, there may have to be some patience at times and yes some debates are healthy and yes there is a right for constructive criticism but sometimes take a breathe, pinch yourself on how we are securely back in the football league and embrace your fellow Grimbarian.  Views may differ but listening isn't about thinking about how you can interject with your viewpoint all of the time, sometimes it is about learning how someone has reached that conclusion whether you agree or not.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, we aren't in a bad place right now. Of course there are areas that need to improve but a collective kindred spirit is important. After all, we all want to see our club do well and we can all agree on that.

Well said Deano. Forget about the bully boys in BP or on this forum. If we carry on chasing rainbows it won’t be long until we’re going for gold. Then we can have a disco down at Meggies maybe in the dolphin.

from the banks of the river humber, to the shores of sicilly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 47
pontoonlew
November 14, 2022, 8:16am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
The only thing that genuinely annoys me is the failure to get in a decent striker and the excuses that have gone with that over the past 4 windows.

The rest is part of a step up to a better league, we’ve competed pretty well on the whole and we’re just going through a blip. We’re pretty well set up as a club (with lots to still work on obviously), we’ve got a decent core to the side and attendances are through the roof. There’s a lot to still be happy with, but we can ill afford for this blip to turn into the rotten spell this time last year. Home form also needs to drastically improve and I think the key to that is in how we choose to set up.

Stevenage at home next is arguably the worst fixture we could’ve possibly asked for at this moment  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 47
November 14, 2022, 10:11am
Guest User
The only thing that genuinely annoys me is the failure to get in a decent striker and the excuses that have gone with that over the past 4 windows.

Are you seriously saying that PH is NOT trying to sign a striker good enough to enhance the quality of our squad?

These are not excuses:

1.      There is a good chance that certain strikers will be out of our price range.
2.      There is also the possibility that some players do not fancy living in the Grimsby area.
3.      Similarly, there will be strikers that prefer to live and work in the South.
4.      I assume also that there will be some players available who don't fit into PH's model of players he wants.
5.     There may be family reasons why players won't move here.  For instance, wives who are happy and settled where they live now.
6.     There may not be the type of striker available that PH wants to play in his chosen formation.

I know that there are many other reasons too, but my memory problems won't let me remember them to put in this post.

What I am trying to say to all you guys who say we have to sign a striker now is this.  This isn't Sainsburys, Tesco or Morrisons where you have a look, see what you like, pick it up and pay for it at the counter and it's yours!  I wish it was so, but it's not, so we need to have faith in PH and his staff and rely on them to work hard in trying to find this elusive striker.  I am sure they are doing their best.

Reply: 15 - 47
ska face
November 14, 2022, 10:14am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,753
Gold Stars: 851
Looks awfully lot like a list of excuses to me…
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 47
pontoonlew
November 14, 2022, 10:21am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from 123614

Are you seriously saying that PH is NOT trying to sign a striker good enough to enhance the quality of our squad?

These are not excuses:

1.      There is a good chance that certain strikers will be out of our price range.
2.      There is also the possibility that some players do not fancy living in the Grimsby area.
3.      Similarly, there will be strikers that prefer to live and work in the South.
4.      I assume also that there will be some players available who don't fit into PH's model of players he wants.
5.     There may be family reasons why players won't move here.  For instance, wives who are happy and settled where they live now.
6.     There may not be the type of striker available that PH wants to play in his chosen formation.

I know that there are many other reasons too, but my memory problems won't let me remember them to put in this post.

What I am trying to say to all you guys who say we have to sign a striker now is this.  This isn't Sainsburys, Tesco or Morrisons where you have a look, see what you like, pick it up and pay for it at the counter and it's yours!  I wish it was so, but it's not, so we need to have faith in PH and his staff and rely on them to work hard in trying to find this elusive striker.  I am sure they are doing their best.

I’m saying other clubs have managed it. I’ll give you an example, Hurst said himself he turned down Umerah at Hartlepool. He’s gone on to score 7 so far in the second worst team in the league and is 8th in the goal scoring charts.

We keep saying ‘they just aren’t out there’ but none of our players feature in the top 25 scorers in our league. I’m sure Hurst is trying, but we’ve failed to get a semi regular goal scoring striker in for any of the windows since he came back.

People always churn out, ‘but 20 goal strikers are hard to come by’ but at this minute most of us would be happy with 12-15, it’d still be an improvement.

We’ve had more than enough time to fix this now and we’ve probably had the budget, I feel the answer is more in Hursts reluctance to take a risk on someone. It’s completely unacceptable that it’s gone on this long IMO.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 47
mike_d
November 14, 2022, 10:25am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +390
Gold Stars: 4
The fact that you call them an excuse doesn't hide the fact that they are valid reasons.

To quote - Insanely amazing or amazingly insane. Life as a Town Fan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 47
November 14, 2022, 10:26am
Guest User
Quoted from ska face
Looks awfully lot like a list of excuses to me…

Then you need to get yourself educated sonny.  Those listed have been the reason why many players have not moved, and that is a fact, heard from players own lips, in blogs, interviews and written media.  If you care to do your own research, you will see for yourself.  But as you seem to be some kind of sh!t stirrer who likes to try and belittle people on here, I guess you don't have the nounce.

Reply: 19 - 47
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › A maximum high

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.