This thread currently has 4,708 views. Print
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Les Brechin
November 14, 2022, 3:13pm

Posts Per Day: 4.17
Rep Score: +114 / -24
Approval: +12,717
Gold Stars: 174
I thought this thread was going to be about one of my all-time favouite albums.  

[img]https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/51toPv-wznL._AC_.jpg[/img]

[img]https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/402260/image_update_img.jpg[/img]
OFFICIAL FUNDRAISER FOR THE BRAIN TUMOUR CHARITY
TOTAL AMOUNT RAISED SINCE AUGUST 2008 £16613.24

LATEST DONATION - FROM DONATION FROM THE FISHY FORUM - AUG 2023 AMOUNT RAISED £170.00

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 47
November 14, 2022, 3:17pm
Guest User
We’re getting better, I think next year we’ll be going for gold.
Reply: 31 - 47
pen penfras
November 14, 2022, 3:19pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -129
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Son of Cod

They've been somewhat vague/wishy washy on this in my opinion. When they came in they said that there was money available for the right players but JS has also more recently alluded to a slight frustration regarding the expectance of expenditure. What are you referring to with regards to sustainability though? Last I remember hearing from them on this was that we'd be running at a loss for the foreseeable future? I've almost certainly missed something they've said regarding this, therefore more than happy to be corrected.

None of it makes a lot of sense to me. We've been run sustainably for years and the end result was poor on the pitch, run down facilities and a small presence in the community.

We now have owners saying they want sustainability, but a bigger coaching team, bigger office staff, bigger presence in the community, better facilities and a bigger playing budget. Unless they've unearthed Corbyn's money tree, I don't see how that's possible. I suppose right now it possibly is, but that means keeping hold of the extra 2000 supporters that have bought season tickets, but a lower mid table season is unlikely to do that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 47
DB
November 14, 2022, 3:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from Son of Cod

They've been somewhat vague/wishy washy on this in my opinion. When they came in they said that there was money available for the right players but JS has also more recently alluded to a slight frustration regarding the expectance of expenditure. What are you referring to with regards to sustainability though? Last I remember hearing from them on this was that we'd be running at a loss for the foreseeable future? I've almost certainly missed something they've said regarding this, therefore more than happy to be corrected.

I'm not suggesting we go full Wrexham/Stockport and start plucking players from two levels above, merely just nudging whatever has been set aside for a striker up a bit.

One of, if not the, best strike partnerships at this level in recent seasons was Doyle and Yates at Swindon. McAtee is a very similar player to Jerry Yates, yet we've barely seen him alongside a traditional #9. I'd personally love to see it. I don't even think we'd need a particularly fantastic one alongside McAtee to see a flourishing partnership. It's a shame Andy Cook took that spot off Oliver at Bradford early on in the season as a successful loan bid for him in Jan would have been great alongside McAtee. As much as I like last season's and this season's team, it seems a shame that we'll have not really seen too much of McAtee in a side with someone who is a striker who can get in the box and finish consistently as I think we'd be so much more threatening going forward.

I believe they said that the club would run at a loss for the first 2 years, however, that said I believe it was before our promotion and record ST sales! They also said money would be available if PH identified the player(s) he wanted. Hurst did say that he wanted a striker before the transfer window closed. So we must assume that money is available for new players( If identified) in the forthcoming transfer window.

As for the books being balanced, you have to look at the incoming non-football staff all of whom need to be paid. The account will make interesting reading.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 47
chaos33
November 14, 2022, 3:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,981
Gold Stars: 361
Quoted from 140381
We’re getting better, I think next year we’ll be going for gold.

We’re on standby mate 🙂

I consider it an honour that the man who wrote all that music is one of my best mates.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 47
pontoonlew
November 14, 2022, 3:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from HertsGTFC
The striker question is one that is a mystery to me.

PH can spot talent and from what we understand tracks it well in advance of making a move, JS did say they had someone decent lined up for a while in the last window but it fell through at the 11th hour, not by the players choice but by the supplying club. The deadline bit must make having a plan B very difficult.

I believe he's very systematic in the way he recruits with character and fit being important, which is right when you think of keeping a large squad happy. I would doubt that he is doing much wrong and the factors could be location, deal on offer etc.. It's also worth reflecting the play off's,

- Notts County A - Goals by Mani & Gav, 2 players from the last Jan window.
- Wrexham - Scorers McAtee , Waterfall, Mani and Taylor and a notable assist from Cropper all but Waterfall where PH additions.
- The final - Goals from McAtee and JMD, with some more Cropper assistance. Of those not mentioned above JMD was a PH add.

So that was then and this is now but we all know that PH is hard working and tries to do things the right way, sooner or later he'll get a striker on board, it's hard for some but we need to trust a manger who has given us 2 promotions, the first being propelled by goals from Podge and later that season Bogle.

In terms of funds, if anyone expects JS and AP to dig into their personal means to throw money at a striker then they need to just listen to what JS says about fincial stability and sustainability, it just won't happen. I would be sure though that there is a proportionate amount free still in the budget to bring someone in he could make a difference.

One final thing, though Saturday was bad we beat Plymouth the week before without having quite a few decent players completely fit or available but we did it because we have a deeper squad than ever before. The alternative is we have a highly paid goal scorer who sucks up the cost of 3 even maybe 4 decent players and we don't have the depth, not sure that works well, look at Chesterfield last year when Tshmanga got injured.

The deal that fell through was for Harry Smith who pointlessly went on loan to Exeter, only for the move to have since been cut short.

I’m under the impression we’ll be back in Jan but we’ll likely have competition and he left Exeter partly down to homesickness.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 47
jamesgtfc
November 14, 2022, 4:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from pen penfras

None of it makes a lot of sense to me. We've been run sustainably for years and the end result was poor on the pitch, run down facilities and a small presence in the community.

We now have owners saying they want sustainability, but a bigger coaching team, bigger office staff, bigger presence in the community, better facilities and a bigger playing budget. Unless they've unearthed Corbyn's money tree, I don't see how that's possible. I suppose right now it possibly is, but that means keeping hold of the extra 2000 supporters that have bought season tickets, but a lower mid table season is unlikely to do that.

In footballing terms, additional coaches, physios, equipment brings gains but the back office roles in particular need to be adding value.

We've gone from having a Chief Executive to having a CEO, Head of Operations, Secretary and a PA to the CEO.

I'm not saying those roles are unnecessary but that is a lot of expenditure that we need an ROI on, especially when you factor in the other new positions.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 47
lew chaterleys lover
November 14, 2022, 4:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from jamesgtfc

In footballing terms, additional coaches, physios, equipment brings gains but the back office roles in particular need to be adding value.

We've gone from having a Chief Executive to having a CEO, Head of Operations, Secretary and a PA to the CEO.

I'm not saying those roles are unnecessary but that is a lot of expenditure that we need an ROI on, especially when you factor in the other new positions.

Which one of those is responsible for ensuring paper towels and soap are in the toilets?
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 47
jamesgtfc
November 14, 2022, 4:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,039
Gold Stars: 190

Which one of those is responsible for ensuring paper towels and soap are in the toilets?

We might not have paper towels and soap but at least the womens toilets have tampons.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 47
Mayaman
November 14, 2022, 4:55pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,421
Gold Stars: 74
Quoted from HertsGTFC
It does make me smile, certain posters on here wanted Fenty out, eventually that happened.

Now after less than 2 years the same people are moaning about JS & AP and DC clearly because in that that 2 years all that has happened is …

- Recruited a good manager and backed/stuck by him
- Got rid of a poor very large poor playing squad
- Brought in a load of honest pros who get on well
- Won promotion back at the first attempt.
- Failed to get a striker but money is available we believe
- The overall playing squad is better
- Paid fees for players
- We now offer 2/3 year deals
- Cheapside is better
- The support staff reflects a club that’s serious
- The pitch at BP is better
- As it stands we’re still in 2 knock out competitions
- Done an equitable deal for McAtee
- Seems like the Youth set up is thriving
- The first year pro pipeline looks stable
- Player support feels better - Looked after by Cokey

Oh and I forgot….

- The owners and exec listen
- People are interested in GTFC
- Fenty is getting paid, I think ahead of schedule
- We have a new major sponsor who look long term
- Record season ticket sales
- Great attendances overall
- Some work done on BP, more to do though
- Food is better, if IMHO a bit pricey
- They’re working with the trust not against it.
- There’s some good community stuff going on for sure
- Kids got to design the 3rd kit and others are benefiting
- Though it’s not visible to all there is a plan for the training ground

I’m sure there’s more.

Yes they’ve made a few PR mistakes like the badge thing but nothing to the magnitude of Alex May, flasks or flag deconstruction.

.From time to time me included people will not be happy with results and other bits (my current gripe is £2.50 for tea in the Upper) but overall this club is unrecognisable from the one Fenty and the other muppets left behind and I suspect is more stable than many in the pyramid.

Yeah, yeah , but what have the Romans ever done for us?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 47
5 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › A maximum high

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.