Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 273 Guests

Just back.

This thread currently has 10,615 views. Print
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Poojah
November 6, 2022, 2:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,667
Gold Stars: 1,508
Quoted from sam gy
Already turned down a few offers from lg1 in the summer apparently.

Funnily enough I got chatting to Harry’s cousin on the train to Hartlepool (verified by the fact he looked a lot like Harry). He said he did have offers from more than one club in League One (Exeter was one mentioned, in addition to Forest Green which was already public knowledge).

He stayed because he didn’t want to move that far from home, and also that the club made a real effort to keep him here.

His work in the build-up to the third goal is a great example of how his game has developed - the skill and determination to beat his man, followed by an inch perfect cross. I don’t think you’d have seen him doing that a couple of years ago (absolutely not a criticism, he’s just improved so much over the course of the last 18 month).

In fairness to him, this last season and a bit is the first time he’s not been playing in a dog shít team, so that will no doubt make a big difference, but the lad deserves huge credit for the way he’s playing.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 69
chaos33
November 6, 2022, 2:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,971
Gold Stars: 361
Quoted from pontoonlew
I think the ‘never get too high when you win and never get too low when you lose’ would serve some well.

Yesterday was brilliant and gives us great hope after 2 shockers. The element of our fan base that come on to say ‘SEE, I TOLD YOU ‘PLAYER X’ WAS ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT’ after one performance are arguably as annoying as the people who only seem to ever want something to moan about.

The beauty of football is the difference of opinions and it’s weird to see the complete meltdown people go into when somebody doesn’t share their own. I very rarely see genuine abuse of players on here, but the ‘happy clapper’ element seem hell bent that it happens regularly, odd.

Can you share some examples of all that?
Love the fact that, as someone who regularly indulges in overstatement, apparently ‘calling out’ overstatement with a bunch of overstatements! Are you a sophisticated satirical analyst that’s way out of our league?

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 69
pontoonlew
November 6, 2022, 3:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from chaos33

Can you share some examples of all that?
Love the fact that, as someone who regularly indulges in overstatement, apparently ‘calling out’ overstatement with a bunch of overstatements! Are you a sophisticated satirical analyst that’s way out of our league?

Well I mean you yourself got offended initially by somebody daring to say they haven’t always been Clifton’s biggest fan so I’m not overly surprised you’ve taken issue with my post.

There’s currently a couple of posts knocking about paying money for Kiernan, which sort of underline my point. It’s a funny old game!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 69
chaos33
November 6, 2022, 3:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,971
Gold Stars: 361
😂

You’ve illustrated my point beautifully. ‘Offended’ is the word you used. I wasn’t ‘offended’. I didn’t use that word.
People’s opinions on our players don’t ‘offend’ me.
I said it was ‘stupid’ to preface a view of Harry Clifton by saying ‘I’ve never been his biggest fan’ and I stand by that. That’s like saying ….‘my views on football and footballers are deeply flawed’. Why would Clifton need that prologue ? He’s ostensibly and indisputably a really good player and a fantastic asset, and he played really well yesterday, as he does week in week out. If people don’t recognise that, then they don’t understand football.
That’s that. It didn’t ‘offend’ me. You’re the master of overstatement and exaggeration, along with old codger, and you want to call others out. You use words like ‘offended’ ‘happy clappers’ and ‘complete meltdown’ when, in effect, that’s just not the case. They’re your terms, you own them, and they are over exaggerated. That’s what you posted on the last page; you were bemoaning people with extreme views who overreact. In truth, that’s you!

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 69
HerveJosse
November 6, 2022, 4:41pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.88
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,217
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from Poojah

Funnily enough I got chatting to Harry’s cousin on the train to Hartlepool (verified by the fact he looked a lot like Harry). He said he did have offers from more than one club in League One (Exeter was one mentioned, in addition to Forest Green which was already public knowledge).

He stayed because he didn’t want to move that far from home, and also that the club made a real effort to keep him here.

His work in the build-up to the third goal is a great example of how his game has developed - the skill and determination to beat his man, followed by an inch perfect cross. I don’t think you’d have seen him doing that a couple of years ago (absolutely not a criticism, he’s just improved so much over the course of the last 18 month).

In fairness to him, this last season and a bit is the first time he’s not been playing in a dog shít team, so that will no doubt make a big difference, but the lad deserves huge credit for the way he’s playing.

Perhaps these League one sides had spotted the role he should have been playing and how he could perform against League One opposition before we did. Good that we apparently discovered it by accident.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 69
Maringer
November 6, 2022, 4:49pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,643
Gold Stars: 189
I think it more of a case that Clifton's versatility is a real bonus. If you can play somebody in any position across the midfield and know he can probably fill in at wing-back or full-back if circumstances require it, then it gives you a lot more flexibility with substitutes and cover with injuries whether said player is starting games or not.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 69
pontoonlew
November 6, 2022, 7:09pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from chaos33
😂

You’ve illustrated my point beautifully. ‘Offended’ is the word you used. I wasn’t ‘offended’. I didn’t use that word.
People’s opinions on our players don’t ‘offend’ me.
I said it was ‘stupid’ to preface a view of Harry Clifton by saying ‘I’ve never been his biggest fan’ and I stand by that. That’s like saying ….‘my views on football and footballers are deeply flawed’. Why would Clifton need that prologue ? He’s ostensibly and indisputably a really good player and a fantastic asset, and he played really well yesterday, as he does week in week out. If people don’t recognise that, then they don’t understand football.
That’s that. It didn’t ‘offend’ me. You’re the master of overstatement and exaggeration, along with old codger, and you want to call others out. You use words like ‘offended’ ‘happy clappers’ and ‘complete meltdown’ when, in effect, that’s just not the case. They’re your terms, you own them, and they are over exaggerated. That’s what you posted on the last page; you were bemoaning people with extreme views who overreact. In truth, that’s you!

I’ll dance round the other bits of sulking to focus on the Clifton bit. He hasn’t always been this sort of player, in fact this season and a lot of last have been by far his best (long may that continue) but for large chunks before that he was pretty average. So to claim that persons views are ‘deeply flawed’ is absolute nonsense, it’s accepting that Clifton hasn’t always been this sort of player (god forbid people may think that but I share that view). It’s exactly what I was getting at in my initial comment.

Rob Jones back in the day was a good example of this, he improved drastically after a terrible start, it doesn’t mean people weren’t right to criticise at the time of his bad performances.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 69
Lincoln Mariner 56
November 6, 2022, 7:50pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,763
Gold Stars: 81
Quoted from pontoonlew

I’ll dance round the other bits of sulking to focus on the Clifton bit. He hasn’t always been this sort of player, in fact this season and a lot of last have been by far his best (long may that continue) but for large chunks before that he was pretty average. So to claim that persons views are ‘deeply flawed’ is absolute nonsense, it’s accepting that Clifton hasn’t always been this sort of player (god forbid people may think that but I share that view). It’s exactly what I was getting at in my initial comment.

Rob Jones back in the day was a good example of this, he improved drastically after a terrible start, it doesn’t mean people weren’t right to criticise at the time of his bad performances.

It appears we all need to support every player no matter how we judge their performance and one of the reasons I used those introductory words were the fact that I know I have been critical of Harry in the past so without I half expected any praise I might give to be received with a reaction from other posters pointing out I have not been his number one fan.

Christ does everyone think he was such a gifted player that others may not rate him so highly? Personally I still don’t think he’s good enough to play in central midfield in a side that wants promotion, playing wide on the right it’s a thumbs up. I said a few weeks back when comments were made on Taylor that because my opinion is different to the majority means I know nothing about football is laughable. I may well be wrong about Harry I have been wrong about players in the past and will be wrong again in the future but accept that’s the way  see the game which is often very different to the bloke sat next to me. But it doesn’t require someone posting as though I’d just stated that Putin should be awarded the Noble peace prize.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 69
ginnywings
November 6, 2022, 8:25pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
[/b]
Quoted from pontoonlew

I’ll dance round the other bits of sulking to focus on the Clifton bit. He hasn’t always been this sort of player, in fact this season and a lot of last have been by far his best (long may that continue) but for large chunks before that he was pretty average. So to claim that persons views are ‘deeply flawed’ is absolute nonsense, [b]it’s accepting that Clifton hasn’t always been this sort of player
(god forbid people may think that but I share that view). It’s exactly what I was getting at in my initial comment.

You mean when he was young and learning his trade, playing in mostly appalling sides? Of course he wasn't as good then as he is now, but personally, I have always thought him a good player, right from day1.

Not so long back, some were saying he shouldn't be playing on the left, despite him scoring 7 goals from that position last season and bagging 5 already this season.

It's strange really, as successive managers have mostly had him in the side and more than one League 1 club wants to sign him. He's also represented his country a few times.

Maybe those people who's job it is to pick players and win football matches don't really know what they are doing?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 69
toontown
November 6, 2022, 9:06pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from ginnywings
[b][/b]

You mean when he was young and learning his trade, playing in mostly appalling sides? Of course he wasn't as good then as he is now, but personally, I have always thought him a good player, right from day1.

Not so long back, some were saying he shouldn't be playing on the left, despite him scoring 7 goals from that position last season and bagging 5 already this season.

It's strange really, as successive managers have mostly had him in the side and more than one League 1 club wants to sign him. He's also represented his country a few times.

Maybe those people who's job it is to pick players and win football matches don't really know what they are doing?

Clifton made an immediate improvement to the team as soon as he came in as a teenager replacing James berrett. He's always been one of the better players in those awful sides. He was the best of the players who played the whole season in that awful relegation team, mostly from right back I seem to recall. His passing has improved immensely over the years, to be fair he made the biggest improvement to it under Holloway, but he's always had vision just not the passing to execute them. The last 24 months or so he's been cracking but still gets stick.

I really can't think of any time when he's been a poor player for us, he's always had his critics though, some of which was definitely influenced by him being a local lad. But I will admit that in his early stages of his career his passing was poor and that did mean there was at least a basis for their criticism even if, in mine and clearly most managers opinion that was outweighed by his strengths.

I honestly can't see how anyone cannot think he's proved any critisicism wrong over the last 2 and a quarter seasons though, hes one of the most consistent around and is desired higher up the pyramid than we have been for years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 69
7 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Just back.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.