10 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
monkeyboy
October 31, 2022, 11:02am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +4 / -8
Approval: -167
Gold Stars: 26
I will probably be shot down for this but i have seen a few people getting on about pepple.

When he was introduced on saturday he held the ball up well and found more space than taylor did, he also is a bit quicker.
He also seems to have a few efforts on goal when he does get a few minutes which is something our current strikers dont get.

I think with a run of games this lad could well prove the doubters wrong.  hardest part is getting games tho as certain people are first on the teamsheet and seem to be undroppable.
Hurst is a very stobborn man.
Logged Offline
Private Message
lukeo
October 31, 2022, 11:07am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 2.07
Rep Score: +38 / -23
Approval: +2,395
Gold Stars: 149
I almost posted similar.. I've seen nothing in him yet but felt on Saturday he did OK
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 94
Ruston AT
October 31, 2022, 11:18am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +427
Gold Stars: 10
Quoted from monkeyboy
I will probably be shot down for this but i have seen a few people getting on about pepple.

When he was introduced on saturday he held the ball up well and found more space than taylor did, he also is a bit quicker.
He also seems to have a few efforts on goal when he does get a few minutes which is something our current strikers dont get.

I think with a run of games this lad could well prove the doubters wrong.  hardest part is getting games tho as certain people are first on the teamsheet and seem to be undroppable.
Hurst is a very stobborn man.

I must admit I need a bit of convincing, but with time I agree he could be a asset. On saturday he had the chance to drive into the box and maybe draw a foul, its probably a confidence thing or is it that we keep the ball and develop the play again. Personally, I'd like to see him drive into the box.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 94
jimgtfc
October 31, 2022, 11:41am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,100
Gold Stars: 45
Can we loan out a loanee? 😂 in all seriousness, I think he needs a run of games, gain some sharpness and confidence. We need more reserve team fixtures.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 94
lew chaterleys lover
October 31, 2022, 11:52am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
It won't be popular but I reckon Luton saw us coming. Paid not a lot for McAtee when the footballing grapevine was raving about him after national exposure in the playoffs, and we got an untried youngster in return.  I thought we would drive a harder bargain than that.
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 94
Son of Cod
October 31, 2022, 11:55am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
We've got a few players who have been tried alongside Taylor this season and my preference from who I like the most to least is..

Richardson
Orsi
Pepple
Simmonds

...I know Orsi has had time out with injuries and maybe illness the last few matches but for me Orsi is clearly a better player than Pepple and Simmonds and I'd like to think we'll see more of him when he's eventually fully fit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 94
diehardmariner
October 31, 2022, 1:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539
It won't be popular but I reckon Luton saw us coming. Paid not a lot for McAtee when the footballing grapevine was raving about him after national exposure in the playoffs, and we got an untried youngster in return.  I thought we would drive a harder bargain than that.

I think you're maybe over egging our bargaining position.

They paid a fee for a player with an injury that was going to rule him out of action until a period where he is allowed to speak to other clubs with 6 months left on his contract.  We managed to keep that player on loan until the end of the season, hopefully getting a few months out of him once he recovers from said injury.

Considering the alternative was him sitting in the treatment room until January and then either getting sold for very little and us not seeing him again in a Town shirt or losing him for nothing in the summer, I don't think we've done too badly.

Pepple's really raw, that's what you get when you've effectively plucked a guy from the Canadian league.  But what isn't helping is that he's getting used, in the main, as a like-for-like for Taylor.  Just because he's got a bit about him physically doesn't mean he can do that job.  The third goal against Crawley was a great example of what he can offer when deployed alongside someone else, Taylor in this case.  
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 94
ska face
October 31, 2022, 2:03pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,753
Gold Stars: 851
Quoted from diehardmariner

Pepple's really raw, that's what you get when you've effectively plucked a guy from the Canadian league.  But what isn't helping is that he's getting used, in the main, as a like-for-like for Taylor.  Just because he's got a bit about him physically doesn't mean he can do that job.  The third goal against Crawley was a great example of what he can offer when deployed alongside someone else, Taylor in this case.  

You see on his highlights from his time in Canada, a lot of his best play comes when picking the ball up out wide on the left where he can use his physicality to muscle his way down the sides or into the box. It’d be far better for him to be used that way than as a lone striker where he’s going to get bullied by L2 centre halves.

But like everyone’s said, it’d require a change in system that Hurst won’t do because he likes that single focal point up top. To me I think that’s because it allows us to set up more defensively and hit teams on the break, but the cost is that we can never establish any decent sustained pressure and we waste good positions because chances fall to midfielders rather than strikers.
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 94
lew chaterleys lover
October 31, 2022, 2:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from diehardmariner

I think you're maybe over egging our bargaining position.

They paid a fee for a player with an injury that was going to rule him out of action until a period where he is allowed to speak to other clubs with 6 months left on his contract.  We managed to keep that player on loan until the end of the season, hopefully getting a few months out of him once he recovers from said injury.

Considering the alternative was him sitting in the treatment room until January and then either getting sold for very little and us not seeing him again in a Town shirt or losing him for nothing in the summer, I don't think we've done too badly.

McAtee started the first league game, so only in hindsight can we say he was carrying an injury. His shoulder was problematic but for all Luton knew he could have played every game by now.

It is the Pepple loan where we should have played hardball. It is unlikely Hurst had ever heard of him; Luton being in the Championship must have players that are itching to play, but not good enough yet for the Championship. Pepple was completely untried, completely raw and we should have said no thanks, either up your offer so we can get a replacement, or agree to loan us a player that was more likely to make our team.

This is not a criticism of Pepple per se, it is what it is, but if they wanted to get McAtee for a relatively low price because of a loan going the other way, we should have pressed for a loan player that had more development under his belt.  
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 94
Garth
October 31, 2022, 2:28pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,936
Gold Stars: 27
Up North were not as cute at bargaining as them crafty southerners, we are still wearing smocks and chewing straws. Luton drunk all over us, that's why they are in the position they are
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 94
10 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Pepple

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.