10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
November 1, 2022, 2:29pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Well, that's encouraging news. Played a game and scored a couple.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 94
Hagrid
November 1, 2022, 2:37pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.80
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +20,490
Gold Stars: 536
Quoted from pontoonlew
I have to say Pepple doesn’t look like a footballer and I’ve seen many examples of why that is over the season. However, Saturday wasn’t one of them but he seems to have got the most stick for that one.

He held the ball up far better than Taylor did on Saturday, although his distribution with it was admittedly weak but we can’t be singing the praises of Taylor who struggles to hold it for more than a second whilst bashing a 19 year old who’s still learning.

in your opinion.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 94
diehardmariner
November 1, 2022, 2:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,653
Gold Stars: 539

Nobody is saying it is easy, far from it but my point stands; we need to financially compete for a striker that other clubs covet. We have got everything in place - great fan base (and great revenue) great away support, good owners, an astute manager and a half decent team. If we don't sign somebody for that number 9 shirt that is amongst our top targets then that will be disappointing.  

But who do you think we can financially compete with?  

Of that list, I appreciate it's not the only list, there's Telford, Hoskins and Sears who are still at this level.  Crawley will have spent a fortune on Telford in a Football Manager type approach towards management via their Crypto-ownership.  Northampton blew us out the water when it came to Ben Fox, a midfielder who spent 50% of the previous season injured.  Sears is arguably the only one who was within our financial grasp, but location works against us and his record this season is pretty poor anyway.

Even at the level below there's absolutely stupid money chucked about.  There's having a competitive budget and then there is financial suicide.  An ethos of 1878 is that we operate within our means.  I'll be honest and say I don't know what those means are, but I don't think it stretches to players with decent records at this level unless there's an issue like injury record, age etc.  Our options are, to my mind anyway, develop someone in house or find a rough diamond to develop.  

Private Message
Reply: 62 - 94
HertsGTFC
November 1, 2022, 3:00pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,985
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from diehardmariner

Of that list, I appreciate it's not the only list, there's Telford, Hoskins and Sears who are still at this level.  Crawley will have spent a fortune on Telford in a Football Manager type approach towards management via their Crypto-ownership.  Northampton blew us out the water when it came to Ben Fox, a midfielder who spent 50% of the previous season injured.  Sears is arguably the only one who was within our financial grasp, but location works against us and his record this season is pretty poor anyway.

Even at the level below there's absolutely stupid money chucked about.  There's having a competitive budget and then there is financial suicide.  An ethos of 1878 is that we operate within our means.  I'll be honest and say I don't know what those means are, but I don't think it stretches to players with decent records at this level unless there's an issue like injury record, age etc.  Our options are, to my mind anyway, develop someone in house or find a rough diamond to develop.  

decent post, I think the bit in bold is where we are now to be honest.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 94
lew chaterleys lover
November 1, 2022, 3:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from diehardmariner

I honestly see your well-made points, but at some juncture, we will have to accept the reality that if we don't compete financially for the players that others want in the striking department then it will be difficult, perhaps not impossible but very difficult to compete higher than we are.

It is another dilemma for the owners to grapple with. In league 2 we are right up there with the amount of season ticket holders, attendances and presumably income and 1878 have repeatedly said they will always listen to the manager regarding players. They have also talked about having offers of investment so at some point we are going to have to break out from the attitude we can't compete in league 2(grateful though I am to be in league 2!)

I will also say I think a bit more concrete news from the owners about their plans would not go amiss. They must have explored the options on how to take the club forward by now with some practical steps instead of the important but generic culture of the club vibes.
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 94
DB
November 1, 2022, 4:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
Last year at this time we had somewhere in the region of 6 to 10 different goalscorers and few cared if we had a No 9 ( although the shirt was filled later ). The expectations at the start of that season were mid-table and consolidation. Well as we know that didn't happen.

Now we still don't have a No9 and the lack of a goalscorer is evident to all. Our expectations are still the same though midtable and consolidation. Barrow and Hartlepool's games were dire but we are still only 4 points off the playoff places after a third of the season.

When we look at the squad it is basically last year's minus 1 or 2 with some additional players, some of whom cannot make a regular starting place on the team sheet. So in essence our NL squad have upped a gear for League 2. Harry and Max for example.

Hurst did say he want a striker in the summer transfer window but only Hurst and the club know why it didn't happen, so he took a punt on some whom he might develop which doesn't happen overnight. 1878 say they want to live within their means and 20+ miles away shows what is happening to a former championship club that didn't.

Plymouth, potentially a future championship club, will show us on Saturday have much we have to catch up, both on and off the field. Let us not forget they do not have an ideal location, like Town, to attract players, but they do!

Patience, I think, is the key for us. A fit McAtee coming back soon, as we have good home and away supporters, good ownership and hopefully a new striker for a new years present.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 94
MuddyWaters
November 1, 2022, 4:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Without saying that either are world beaters, it's worth noting that Bradford had Angol and Oliver on their bench the other week. Both are capable at this level.
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 94
HertsGTFC
November 1, 2022, 4:59pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Without saying that either are world beaters, it's worth noting that Bradford had Angol and Oliver on their bench the other week. Both are capable at this level.

I think Angol has turned us down a couple of times hasn't he?

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 94
MuddyWaters
November 1, 2022, 5:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,276
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from HertsGTFC

I think Angol has turned us down a couple of times hasn't he?

I don’t know. I thought he improved Bradford when he came on.
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 94
HertsGTFC
November 1, 2022, 5:08pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I don’t know. I thought he improved Bradford when he came on.

He's decent for sure, I think PH tried to get him when he came back.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 94
10 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Pepple

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.